Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

denereal visease posted:

:eyepop:

and here i thought the 5800X was stupid chip to cool on air

Let's hope AMD show restraint on the early lower core count models, but waiting for the non-X models or grabbing a clearance 5700 soon might be prudent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
5800X3D in stock at NewEgg if anyone is still trying to get one.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

denereal visease posted:

:eyepop:

and here i thought the 5800X was stupid chip to cool on air

I mean, it could be exactly the same - if you touched PBO you’re probably closer to a 125W chip.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

K8.0 posted:

5800X3D in stock at NewEgg if anyone is still trying to get one.

I grabbed one from antonline, which also seems to have them in stock.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

hobbesmaster posted:

The 5950x probably could’ve been a 170W sku if they wanted to say that. I wouldn’t read too much into that tidbit.

The 5950x is actually astounding efficient

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

It is. You can still keep giving it power if you want though and it’ll use it.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Wasn't this X670E dual chipset stuff being all about PCIe 5.0 everywhere? Now I read mentions that the CPU uplink is only PCIe 4.0.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Combat Pretzel posted:

Wasn't this X670E dual chipset stuff being all about PCIe 5.0 everywhere? Now I read mentions that the CPU uplink is only PCIe 4.0.
What happens in practice is that it might just run 2 individual lanes of PCIe 5 at full speed (which is basically just network interconnects at this point)

A similar thing happens with the X570 chipset but in the other direction, 8 PCIe3 lanes on the chipset can get smooshed into the 4 PCIe4 lanes to the CPU and run at full speed despite there only being 4 actual lanes.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
A new 5600 non-X is selling $150 here and people are still trying to sell their used Intel 6-11th gen weaksauce for more. :lol:

Palladium fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Jun 12, 2022

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

I recently updated my CPU from a Ryzen 5 1600 to a Ryzen 7 3800X and one core (only one core) is always boosted to 4.4 GHz under Windows even at idle, and this causes the fans to scream at full blast (the fans quiet down in the BIOS). I have looked through the BIOS settings and I am completely bewildered by the vast number of options that weren't available with the old Ryzen 5. Has anyone experienced this problem before and come up with a solution?

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
Reinstall latest amd chipset drivers. Check your windows power settings don't have maximum power no idle behaviors.

Failing that, keep googling sorry.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
AMD shared their roadmap with press:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eI8OJnkGnvU

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

Reinstall latest amd chipset drivers. Check your windows power settings don't have maximum power no idle behaviors.

Failing that, keep googling sorry.

With a 3000 Ryzen like that you also want to make sure you're using the special Ryzen power plan in Wondows

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

The special Ryzen power plan isn't a thing anymore. If you still have it, you're not on the latest chipset drivers.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Woolie Wool posted:

I recently updated my CPU from a Ryzen 5 1600 to a Ryzen 7 3800X and one core (only one core) is always boosted to 4.4 GHz under Windows even at idle, and this causes the fans to scream at full blast (the fans quiet down in the BIOS). I have looked through the BIOS settings and I am completely bewildered by the vast number of options that weren't available with the old Ryzen 5. Has anyone experienced this problem before and come up with a solution?

Did you update your motherboard BIOS to one that supports the 3000 series?

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Did you update your motherboard BIOS to one that supports the 3000 series?

Yes.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Woolie Wool posted:

Which tool are you using to measure this?

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Woolie Wool posted:

I recently updated my CPU from a Ryzen 5 1600 to a Ryzen 7 3800X and one core (only one core) is always boosted to 4.4 GHz under Windows even at idle, and this causes the fans to scream at full blast (the fans quiet down in the BIOS).

Are your fan curves tied to frequency or temperature? What does CPU temp show up as when it's idling?

One (extreme) theory is that you have some process using the core but hiding itself from your view. There has to be some work being done to drive power consumption and heat.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
This does sound like some windows power profile fuckery. I would maybe reset/update the BIOS to eliminate that and make sure your windows power profile is set to something other than performance.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

there was some discussion here about AVX512s relevance for emulation

one of the PS3 emulator devs posted an article on why it's so useful to them

https://whatcookie.github.io/posts/why-is-avx-512-useful-for-rpcs3/

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Got a 3060 ti ordered because I could. Current CPU is a Ryzen 5 3600X, 16MB 3200mhz ram. Am I going to want to get a better CPU right away or is it not a big deal?

Mobo is a MSI B450 Tomahawk btw. CPUs supported: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/B450-TOMAHAWK/support#cpu

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Roman posted:

Got a 3060 ti ordered because I could. Current CPU is a Ryzen 5 3600X, 16MB 3200mhz ram. Am I going to want to get a better CPU right away or is it not a big deal?

Mobo is a MSI B450 Tomahawk btw. CPUs supported: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/B450-TOMAHAWK/support#cpu

I'm sure you'll be fine with that CPU. The majority of games won't be bottlenecked, and those that do have a CPU bottleneck (e.g. the Far Cry games) won't get a big enough boost by a CPU upgrade to justify the cost. And all of this becomes moot if you ever upgrade to a 1440p monitor since the bottleneck shifts to the GPU at that point.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Stanley Pain posted:

Which tool are you using to measure this?

I was using AMD Ryzen Master. I managed to get the fans to stop shrieking all the time by setting the fans to PWM mode in the BIOS (because that's apparently not default? :psyduck:). However, thermals are pretty awful, I have a Noctua NF-D14 cooler and Noctua's thermal paste, and I'm getting about 60-70°C under idle and 82-88°C under load (the old Ryzen 5 1600 did about 60-65° under load, but this thing consumes as many watts at idle as that thing did cranking). Unfortunately I can't use the ultra-modern mesh cases because I need at least two 5.25" bays for my BD-RE and LS-120 (fancy IDE floppy drive that takes both 1.44MB 3.5" floppies and proprietary disks), so not only do I have a case with mediocre airflow (Fractal Define R5) but I've got a huge-rear end IDE ribbon cable cutting across the airflow that can't be tucked away anywhere.

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jun 20, 2022

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Woolie Wool posted:

I was using AMD Ryzen Master. I managed to get the fans to stop shrieking all the time by setting the fans to PWM mode in the BIOS (because that's apparently not default? :psyduck:). However, thermals are pretty awful, I have a Noctua NF-D14 cooler and Noctua's thermal paste, and I'm getting about 60-70°C under idle and 82-88°C under load (the old Ryzen 5 1600 did about 60-65° under load, but this thing consumes as many watts at idle as that thing did cranking). Unfortunately I can't use the ultra-modern mesh cases because I need at least two 5.25" bays for my BD-RE and LS-120 (fancy IDE floppy drive that takes both 1.44MB 3.5" floppies and proprietary disks), so not only do I have a case with mediocre airflow (Fractal Define R5) but I've got a huge-rear end IDE ribbon cable cutting across the airflow that can't be tucked away anywhere.

I have an Antec P182 (airflow as bad or worse than your R5) and a worse heatsink, and the temps on my 3700x are in the low 60s in all-core load. Unless your casefans are set to minimum and the mobo system temp is 45C, I think your NF-D14 is probably installed poorly or wrong.

I would recommend a teardown, and probably installing the NF-D14 onto the cpu & mobo outside of the case. With huge heatsinks that makes good positioning & even mounting pressure much easier. Make sure you look a 2nd time at all the parts & instructions in case you messed something up way back when.

A low-airflow case is worse for thermals than a mesh, but they're not that bad. The decent well-designed ones like the R5 or bequiet's cases are still exchanging air, just not as efficiently as they could be. They're a few degrees worse. (Also, if you just open the front door it's basically a mesh case. That's what I do on my ancient P182.)

The IDE ribbon cable makes zero difference. People who say that cables make a big difference to cooling are generally deluding themselves.

Also PWM will generally only be the default for the CPU fan (stock coolers have PWM fans). Everything else defaults to DC because DC works on either and DC fans are the norm for case fans.

El_Molestadore
Apr 2, 2005

Time to die hero
88C on a 3700x under load is very high, but low 60s as described above sounds weirdly low. Would have thought you'd need a fatass AIO for those kind of temps.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

El_Molestadore posted:

88C on a 3700x under load is very high, but low 60s as described above sounds weirdly low. Would have thought you'd need a fatass AIO for those kind of temps.

It's a 65W TDP chip, so definitely not. With a Dark Rock Pro 4, I get mid 50s on my 5600X at stock settings in Prime95 Small FFTs, and the cooler is at like 50% fan speed.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

It's a 65W TDP chip, so definitely not. With a Dark Rock Pro 4, I get mid 50s on my 5600X at stock settings in Prime95 Small FFTs, and the cooler is at like 50% fan speed.

Default PPT?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

El_Molestadore posted:

That's with all stock, PPT in ryzen master is only 88W. Also note that this is all-core tests, so 16 threads of prime95. All core is generally cooler than 2 or 3 threads -- I can go over 80C with stock PPT doing 3 threads.

If I set it to 105W to match Woolie's 3800X it jumps up to 69C. nice.

My cooler is a scythe mugen so a pretty decent air cooler, and with a better fan than the stock one. But I'm not blasting the fan at all, only ~1000 RPM at 60C and like 1350 at 70C. This cooler should not be outperforming a big noctua.

(Also I'm in the northeast US where it's been pretty cold the last couple days. My ambient on the thermostat is currently 68F. I'm wearing a sweater right now :lol:)

tldr installation quality matters, especially on big heavy heatsinks

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

I just realized this morning I still had low noise adapters installed on all my fans (the case fans are also Noctuas), and while they were fine for the Ryzen 5 1600, I now think I should probably take them off so the fans can run full speed.

Did some Prime95 testing, and thermal equilibrium is reached with temps fluctuating between 82 and 88 at 4.1 GHz. It's not throttling, at least.

How much does the age of thermal paste matter (not the installation of the paste, but since it was manufactured)? The paste I used came with the NF-D14 and is two or three years old.

Klyith posted:

(Also I'm in the northeast US where it's been pretty cold the last couple days. My ambient on the thermostat is currently 68F. I'm wearing a sweater right now :lol:)
There's a heat wave where I live, it's been almost 100°F outside for a week straight and it's set to continue another week :negative:

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jun 20, 2022

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

hobbesmaster posted:

Default PPT?

Yes (on a 5600X, it's 76W though instead of 88W. come on, AMD, at least be consistent)

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Woolie Wool posted:

How much does the age of thermal paste matter (not the installation of the paste, but since it was manufactured)? The paste I used came with the NF-D14 and is two or three years old.

AFAIK not at all when stored at room temp. The silicone grease takes forever to dry out when it isn't hot.

I have some Arctic Silver 2 that is literally 20 years old. Still fine.

Woolie Wool posted:

Did some Prime95 testing, and thermal equilibrium is reached with temps fluctuating between 82 and 88 at 4.1 GHz. It's not throttling, at least.

That much of a fluctuation range is weird. Are you testing "small FFTs"? The default test is "blend" and it's not particularly consistent. If you are doing small FFTs it should be pretty steady at equilibrium. That kinda makes me even more suspicious that the heatsink mount is slightly buggered, maybe not fully tightened down and the contact is flexing a bit.

OTOH 4.1ghz on all-core is pretty good.

What mobo do you have btw?

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

My mobo is a Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming 3. A bit underspecced for a 3800X, but I never imagined I would ever have a high-end CPU when I bought it in 2017.

I used the default Prime95 test, so I might rerun the test with "small FFTs".

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jun 20, 2022

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Woolie Wool posted:

My mobo is a Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming 3. A bit underspecced for a 3800X, but I never imagined I would ever have a high-end CPU when I bought it in 2017.

ain't terrible though, especially for a B350. I wouldn't try boosting PBO with it, but a stock 3800x & air cooling keep air moving around the VRMs is just fine.

Woolie Wool posted:

I used the default Prime95 test, so I might rerun the test with "small FFTs".

Um. Yeah if you're in the mid to upper 80s with blend, that is no bueno. Small FFTs produces a lot more heat, probably gonna hit throttle temps.

Reinstall cooler time.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
it will be a super bad mount somehow would be my guess, yeah. happens - lol i once ran my arctic esports duo with one of the standoffs in upside down so it didn't give good pressure for months. it worked fine because it was overkill but got a ton better when i fixed it.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Also as long as I'm in :justpost: mode:

Tamba posted:

The special Ryzen power plan isn't a thing anymore. If you still have it, you're not on the latest chipset drivers.

https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-ryzen-chipset-4-03-03-431

AMD posted:

AMD Ryzen Power Plan / AMD Processor Power Management Support
Updated processor power management settings for performance and power improvement

Ryzen power plan still exists if you have something other than a Ryzen 5000 series. The 5000s don't need them because they don't have the split L3.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

https://videocardz.com/press-release/amd-ryzen-threadripper-5000wx-series-launching-through-system-integrators-next-month

The Zen 3 threadrippers were Lenovo only for a while, but they will soon be available with other system integrators. AMD is also saying they plan to finally release them in DIY channels... "later this year." Seems very late to me, but at least they are committing to some kind of DIY release. Hopefully Zen 4's TR series happens sooner.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

https://videocardz.com/press-release/amd-ryzen-threadripper-5000wx-series-launching-through-system-integrators-next-month

The Zen 3 threadrippers were Lenovo only for a while, but they will soon be available with other system integrators. AMD is also saying they plan to finally release them in DIY channels... "later this year." Seems very late to me, but at least they are committing to some kind of DIY release. Hopefully Zen 4's TR series happens sooner.

Ehhh… unless it’s for TRX40, “DIY” is kinda hosed IMO. Perfectly good mobo, RAM that was set to be my next decade computer / 2600K replacement and I was hoping to have a Zen 3 endgame in that socket (3960X atm)… doubt anything new is coming to it with supply constraints the way they are. No sense selling HEDT a Zen 3/4 CCD that could have been in an EPYC.

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

ðŸÂ†ðŸÂ†ðŸÂ†

Upgraded my 1700 to a 5900x after msi released new bios for my old rear end mobo. Folks, it's good

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Love my 5900x, I see a lot of thermal talk but I've never even checked it's temps. Chucked a dh15 something on it and never looked back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspect A
Jan 1, 2015

Nap Ghost
my 5800x works fine on my nh-12a :shrug: