Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I've never seen soft science used nondisparagingly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

There is only one hard science and that is mathematics

Everything else gets ruined by having to look at things

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

flatluigi posted:

I've never seen soft science used nondisparagingly

we could detail the mechanisms that lead to this observation, but it would require, you know......

~

I love this chart

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I want to observe the science teacher with zero in all of those. Ideally from a distance.

E: actually I think that just describes a lot of politicians.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

fosborb posted:

does anyone who puts stock in a distinction between hard and soft sciences ever put their discipline on the soft side?
oh absolutely

(I went to grad school for economics)

(it's ok I dropped out)

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Love me some soft science. Feels like bags of sand.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Tenebrais posted:

theology is the queen of the sciences for a reason

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

jeebus bob posted:

I honestly can't tell what joke you're reaching for here.

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

there's a correlation of a science field having more women and it being classified a "soft" science, and it's not a coincidence

It was this, yes.

Placeholder
Sep 24, 2008

Tenebrais posted:

Is mathematics a science if it doesn't apply the scientific method?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

maps are charts right?

That line doesn't divide anything though. The endpoints don't connect as in a circle so the earth's surface is still a single undivided area in that pic.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

This isn't even biology, medical science is complicated by things like patients not bothering to turn up to clinic, forgetting to take their study drug, medical ethics, etc.

Also the more you restrict your patient population and experimental environment, the less applicable your results are in the real world. Doesn't excuse the stats abuse of course.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Infinity Blade was published in 2010, so seems accurate

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

MrUnderbridge posted:

Way back in the day, SNL made a commercial making fun of the Trac II. They added another blade (how ridiculous!) and called it the Triple Track. The first blade pulls the hair out, the second grabs it and the third sneaks up and slices it.

And by that graph, we should be approaching infinite blades. I'm picturing a tank tread like belt with blades.

The knockoff version of Americas Funniest Videos (the one hosted by Dave Coulier, America's Funniest People) had a skit where a five blade system progressively lifted out the hair until it ripped it out by the root, and then had a toilet paper dispenser to deal with the bleeding

That one always stuck with me

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjAZnGeBcgg

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Placeholder posted:

Is mathematics a science if it doesn't apply the scientific method?

The scientific method as it's usually taught is a caricature and not all sciences are experimental. Math is a formal science along with the theoretical side of a few other disciplines.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
https://www.reddit.com/r/dataisbeautiful/comments/vah4fv/population_growth_over_the_years_as_you_can_see/

ScienceSeagull
May 17, 2021

Figure 1 Smart birds.

fosborb posted:

does anyone who puts stock in a distinction between hard and soft sciences ever put their discipline on the soft side?

anyway, whenever I hear hard science I think of

For a second I thought this was a flat earth map.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

MrUnderbridge posted:

Way back in the day, SNL made a commercial making fun of the Trac II. They added another blade (how ridiculous!) and called it the Triple Track. The first blade pulls the hair out, the second grabs it and the third sneaks up and slices it.

Yeah. Also back in that same day there was a skit about a superhero dinner party, and Garrett Morris' character was a superhero that no one heard of with ridiculously lame superpowers, who they called “Ant Man” and welp.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Whatever happened at zero years was a terrible mistake.

E: and at 10,000 BCE and everything after that.

Outrail has a new favorite as of 15:31 on Jun 12, 2022

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Yeah. Also back in that same day there was a skit about a superhero dinner party, and Garrett Morris' character was a superhero that no one heard of with ridiculously lame superpowers, who they called “Ant Man” and welp.
Ant man predates that skit by over a decade. Unless that's :thejoke: you were making.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Boy you want to talk about biology and trend lines

e: sorry; big

oh lmao its an n=1 medical paper, where they used how carbon anhydrase fucks with carbonation and therefore its taste to get a guy to stop drinking soda, and lost weight as a result. Hmmmmmm i wonder if there was a lot of sugar suddenly missing from his diet?

Watermelon Daiquiri has a new favorite as of 20:00 on Jun 12, 2022

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

DACK FAYDEN posted:

oh absolutely

(I went to grad school for economics)

(it's ok I dropped out)

Economics is a cautionary tale of what happens when people think hard science is inherently superior to soft science. If a social scientist made the argument that "human society will never, ever run out of resources, because we will always invent a way to be more efficient with resource consumption", it'd be recognised as total speculation, but an economist slaps an arbitrary number on the same idea and suddenly it's quantifiable and rigorous enough to underpin decades of mainstream economic theory.

It's just social sciences for people who find it easier to read equations than sentences.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Red Bones posted:

Economics is a cautionary tale of what happens when people think hard science is inherently superior to soft science. If a social scientist made the argument that "human society will never, ever run out of resources, because we will always invent a way to be more efficient with resource consumption", it'd be recognised as total speculation, but an economist slaps an arbitrary number on the same idea and suddenly it's quantifiable and rigorous enough to underpin decades of mainstream economic theory.

It's just social sciences for people who find it easier to read equations than sentences.

The only error there is thinking economics is science.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

hooman posted:

economics doesn't even have a Nobel prize, that thing is independently run "in honor of Nobel" while appearing in the same ceremony

quote:

Some critics argue that the prestige of the Prize in Economics derives in part from its association with the Nobel Prizes, an association that has often been a source of controversy. Among them is the Swedish human rights lawyer Peter Nobel, a great-grandnephew of Ludvig Nobel.[35] Nobel accuses the awarding institution of misusing his family's name, and states that no member of the Nobel family has ever had the intention of establishing a prize in economics.[36] He explained that "Nobel despised people who cared more about profits than society's well-being", saying that "There is nothing to indicate that he would have wanted such a prize", and that the association with the Nobel prizes is "a PR coup by economists to improve their reputation".[35]

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

DarkHorse posted:

The knockoff version of Americas Funniest Videos (the one hosted by Dave Coulier, America's Funniest People) had a skit where a five blade system progressively lifted out the hair until it ripped it out by the root, and then had a toilet paper dispenser to deal with the bleeding

That one always stuck with me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YleuLyCUx28

Dia de Pikachutos
Nov 8, 2012

A masterpiece

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Analytic Engine posted:

economics doesn't even have a Nobel prize, that thing is independently run "in honor of Nobel" while appearing in the same ceremony
this is a fun thing to bring up to other grad students in economics, let me tell you

who was it that said if they wanted to win the easiest Nobel prize they'd build a time machine and then go back (with their fully working time machine) and study economics? cause that's the sickest burn

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The prize in economics should count as a negative.

If a university claims two prizes each in chemistry and physics and one in economics, their total Nobel count is three.

Neco
Mar 13, 2005

listen
Rename IgNobel prize to EcNobel

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

hooman posted:

It's a science. They call it the "dismal science" for a reason.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine
lol just realized that quote from Nobel's heir is his great-grand-nephew. This is like that goony cousin character on Succession

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Neco posted:

Rename IgNobel prize to EcNobel

Don't you dare sully the noble IgNobels like that.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
IgNobel prize winners should be allowed to bully Econ "Nobel" prize winners in public

I want to see stolen valor videos with Nobel laureates accosting Econ "Nobel" winners in public restrooms

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Economics is one of the humanities. Those insecure humanities scholars pretend to be an actual science to make themselves feel better.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
There is no humanity in economics

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Splicer posted:

There is no humanity in economics

healthcare economist continues to be the most hosed up career I can conceive of

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

fosborb posted:

healthcare economist continues to be the most hosed up career I can conceive of

How much is a person worth anyway?

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Tunicate posted:

Economics is one of the humanities. Those insecure humanities scholars pretend to be an actual science to make themselves feel better.

Humanities have far better standards of rigor and evidence than economics ever has.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Outrail posted:

How much is a person worth anyway?

That’s actuarial science, not economics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Subjunctive posted:

That’s actuarial science, not economics.

Humanity is worthless so the average is $0 but I'm curious about the median.