Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
First band/musician you saw live

My dad took me to see Blink 182 when I was 13 or so, New Found Glory were the openers. We wound up sitting in the stands instead of going into the crowd which I kind of regret but eh, I was 13 and hadn't been to a concert before. still loved it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
The only live music I've been to that wasnt like, some weird christmas band my grandma liked was My Chemical Romance, but generally I think live music is a worse experience in every possible way than just listening to it at home. Unless you're there to get high/drunk and laid or something then yeah, go to a concert

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
It was Incubus. It was really fun but not because of the band, it was because I was in 8th grade and away from my parents and with a bunch of friends in public for the first time where we just got dropped off and could act like adults or what we thought adults acted like

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

I played my first show aged 15, before I'd ever seen another band live in person. We were loving terrible and played a real poo poo Blink 182 cover as all pop punk bands did in the early 2000s

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I'm pretty sure it was Big Nazo

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

I played my first show aged 15, before I'd ever seen another band live in person. We were loving terrible and played a real poo poo Blink 182 cover as all pop punk bands did in the early 2000s

I wish I could find find my awful bands recordings from mid-late 2000s because it was an embarrassing mixture of Decemberists, Tom Waits, Red Hot Chili Peppers and a bunch of other stuff that didn't belong together

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Aesop Poprock posted:

I wish I could find find my awful bands recordings from mid-late 2000s because it was an embarrassing mixture of Decemberists, Tom Waits, Red Hot Chili Peppers and a bunch of other stuff that didn't belong together

I actually have some of mine. At some point they made their way from the tapes we recorded them on, onto a minidisc, which someone in my friend group managed to get onto a computer. I will never post them but it is fun to listen to them sometimes and despite how awful they were they bring back great teenage memories.

Me and one guy from that band stuck at it and had mild "success" in the mid 10s, got to tour around Europe a couple of times before getting too old and packing it in.

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av
A friend of mine tricked me into going to a Christian concert by playing some of the non-religious songs. I left my seat during the first round of closed-eyed, one hand up swaying people apparently always do at Christian concerts. The next memorable concert was seeing Vanilla Ice during his rap-rock reinvention

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Powerful Katrinka posted:

closed-eyed, one hand up swaying

God. They're really into this, maybe some weeping too if they're really feelin it

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

Bismuth posted:

God. They're really into this, maybe some weeping too if they're really feelin it

The Christian rock episode of "South Park" hits hard

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
i think probably Ozfest like 04 or 05 dont remember

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

Saw GWAR in St Petersburg. They played Fish gently caress, we got blasted with the cum cannon, and saw GW Bush and Saddam both get executed. It was a hell of a show.

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
I saw Gwar as the headliner of an all day metal fest... at an indoor venue in the summer. Getting Gwar'd on was such a huge relief as it was so hot in that building. My gf almost passed out at one point so we had to step outside and pour water all over ourselves, which a lot of people were also doing

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice
Snoop Dogg at Lollapalooza when it used to travel used to travel around

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
First with my parents was Three Dog Night. They were great. I still remember little 10 year old me dancing to Eli's Coming. They still tour, somehow, despite being about ninety years old.

First without parents was Guster, also great. The first and as far as I know only time I have ever made a woman orgasm happened in the back of the concert hall between beers.

Also I missed the stinky fart page, but I'll just add that the last time I had French onion soup I had the most prolonged session of horrible gas. It smelled exactly like the French onion soup migrated to my butthole and just sat there generating hatred for the entire night. Every fart was loudly explosive, and smelled exactly like rank soup. God it was great. My husband refused to sleep in the same bed as me even though he secretly thought it was hilarious.

JetSetGo
Jan 1, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
My first live show ever was Van Halen which my mom took me and my best friend to. This was probably like 2004ish when Sammy Hagar did the tour. Eddie playing Poundcake with the power drill was my highlight of the night.

However in my heart, my first real concert was Slayer who toured with Mastodon, Lamb of God and Children of Bodom. That concert was wild and a shitton of fun. Friend broke her wrist being a dumbass and I witnessed a 12 year kid in the circle pit I pulled a concussed guy from running that poo poo. Kid was the embodiment of not giving a gently caress and having a good time. Probably had horrible parents though.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
I can't remember the first band i saw but the first band i remember is the chilli peppers in Australia. Saw them again in new york a few years later. My take away was American fans are lame and boring.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Weird Al Poodle Hat tour.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

I actually have some of mine. At some point they made their way from the tapes we recorded them on, onto a minidisc, which someone in my friend group managed to get onto a computer. I will never post them but it is fun to listen to them sometimes and despite how awful they were they bring back great teenage memories.

Me and one guy from that band stuck at it and had mild "success" in the mid 10s, got to tour around Europe a couple of times before getting too old and packing it in.

Share at least one come on

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice
I really wanted to see Bush and Veruca Salt when I was in 5th grade. I even clipped the ad out of the paper, but my parents wouldn't buy me tickets.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Clutch at a tiny club in Providence, probably ‘97 or ‘98

Pug Rodeo
Feb 20, 2007

BRING IT ON BRING IT ON YEAH

DC Talk, Audio Adrenaline, and the Newsboys on the Jesus Freak tour.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I convinced my friend AR who was a southern black gay boy who wore Confederate flag shirts to go see Pogo in Baltimore after he stayed at my house and I warned him that it was likely that Girl Talk fans would show up and be obnoxious and he was like "what the hell is that?"

10 minutes into the show he texted me and said "They're here and they're awful"

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

By Pogo, do you mean the Australian guy Nick Bertke? I like his stuff.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Yeah same dude!

Also I was not implying Pogo stayed at my house that was kind of written weirdly

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

KMFDM at The Edge in Palo Alto, CA. solid Money era set. right next door to the music store where i bought my first bass. sadly now both places are long gone

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Za-V_lhwGg

Back in the day he got popular for remixing Disney stuff, I don't know what he does now

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

Your mistake was going to see Pogo instead of Poco.

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

Christian concert crew represent :whatup:

Being a preacher's kid, I was actually a fan at the time and going to see Carman during his "Addicted to Jesus" tour was a pretty big deal. Finally getting to see The Champion performed live was definitely a high point of my life for a while.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carman_(singer)

Seven years later my first real concert would be Slipknot, Mudvayne, and hed pe. Totally different vibe than the Carman show tbh.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Szyznyk posted:

Your mistake was going to see Pogo instead of Poco.

I never saw Pogo

Christian concert crew, did you ever see Mineral? They were my favorite emo band of the 90s when I discovered them in the mid 2000s and I never realized they were like a huge hit with Christian groups. I'm still not sure what the association is

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Aesop Poprock posted:

I never saw Pogo

Christian concert crew, did you ever see Mineral? They were my favorite emo band of the 90s when I discovered them in the mid 2000s and I never realized they were like a huge hit with Christian groups. I'm still not sure what the association is

I never saw them live ( discovered them in the 2000’s like you) but the lyrics had a lot of Christian overtones and references, not to mention they didn’t really swear or sing about drugs or sex.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I was just totally oblivious to that. Like I feel like Sufjan Stevens was more overt about Christianity at least in his early albums and nobody really equates him with it

Like this just sounds like a really good 90s emo song to me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKaHsMJ-WEA

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Aesop Poprock posted:

I was just totally oblivious to that. Like I feel like Sufjan Stevens was more overt about Christianity at least in his early albums and nobody really equates him with it

Like this just sounds like a really good 90s emo song to me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKaHsMJ-WEA

The alternate version of Gloria still slaps

https://youtu.be/27jmVP_3IAI

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Yeah they The best emo band ever in my opinion

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I think my favorite song by them is Silver from 1995

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIcoVEVII6k

Music just didn't sound like this back then

To be fair I think Modest Mouse kind of took it to another level and replaced emo music with something better but it still had it's place and I still love it

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

Aesop Poprock posted:

Really Christian guy in a non-Christian band, probably. I wouldn't be surprised if he had some overtly religious side-project

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Powerful Katrinka posted:

Really Christian guy in a non-Christian band, probably. I wouldn't be surprised if he had some overtly religious side-project

Jeremy Enigk from Sunny Day Real Estate

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
I think first was Nirvana. Stone Temple Pilots opened for them (but they weren't called that yet, if I remember right)

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Jeremy Enigk from Sunny Day Real Estate

I remember his face but not his name but a guy from Sunny Day Real Estate tried to rape a friend of mine when she was 16. Glasses and dark hair at a festival in 2004 in Pennsylvania at Snow Fest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 22 days!
Edit: gently caress!

I haven't been to any concerts actually, except for the jazz one my ex-girlfriend dragged me to. It doesn't really count, because it was sponsored by her school.

I didn't even gently caress her after. It was kind of a waste of time. Oh well!