Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

How much do they want for it, if you can say? That paint does not look that bad to me, and what’s in the photos looks solid as hell.

It appears to be a prehistoric version of a center-link yoke, such as you see in trucks with two or more driveshafts. It supports the torque tube.

The part appears to be a steel cup with a vulcanized lining. Apparent;y it has to be able to flex some. The lining wears out and some magician has to take the cup and bond on a new liner. Some brake or clutch shops may have experience.

https://forums.aaca.org/topic/337629-1939-buick-torque-ball-lining-replacement/

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Jun 4, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

I did find one place online that may still rebuild them.

https://bobsautomobilia.com/shop/transmission-sifter-parts/1939-ser-40-60-torque-ball-tbs-39/

But in one forum post it says they stopped so unless they started up again it may still be unobtainium.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Not sure is the '41 Supers had them, but there's one on CL in Modesto for $2500.00.

https://modesto.craigslist.org/cto/d/turlock-1941-buick-super-sedan/7490579367.html

Has a paperweight under the hood:

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
I want to eat my chicken.
a 39 special convertible is an extremely desirable car. it was a one year only body style that was extremely polarizing.

anything driveshaft on buicks 36-60 will have a "closed drive" with a torque ball, which was just their fancy speak for having an enclosed driveshaft and a ball joint at the transmission within lies the u joints.

its really not a big deal, but it would be for a mechanic that's never seen anything like it before. Furthermore, there is rarely a problem where the driveshaft, aside from leaking, would let go before the rear end or transmission. speaking driveline, its really a no nonsense part.

I personally see it being an issue with the transmission, especially having been restored. The buick 3 speed stick was ubiquitous from 1936-1948, and remained optional until 1956

what does your brother consider "cheap" - because if he passes, and doesn't want the headache, I will gladly snap that thing up for a deal if its in halfway decent shape, which it looks like it is.

under the hood lies a 248 ci inline 8 with a single carb setup. same engine in my 42, except I have what some refer to as the "first performance package" ever. my black 48 has the 320, which is just a larger version of the inline 8.

something clean like that will not be seized, even my 42, which looks like its been puled off the bottom of the lake spins freely and has compression, so barring anything major, in my eyes, that car will run with a few hundred bucks in parts. The biggest issue with these inline 8's is that they have incredibly small water jackets, so junk does build up, but a quick flush usually gets them in a better place.

In other news, I've been without home internet for over a week. Story coming soon!

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

Didn't get numbers but I think the price is in the free as in beer range.

I'm assuming everything except the axle/trans whatever caused it to be shelved will be relatively easy fixes but I'd rather assume the worst.

Previous owner stated car would do 75mph but was scary AF while doing so because he had it up to that last time it was on the road in the 90s.

Guessing he joyrode grampas car and hopefully blew out something dumb like the torque ball mounts rather than serious damage. Will only find out once the car is in hand and ready to be gone through.

And I 100% agree. Most old motors are low compression and have loose tolerances so they are usually pretty hard to lock up.

I once tried to buy the Mars OG "Light From Mars" off a 49 Seagrave pumper that someone had dropped off at a local metal recycling scrapyard.

Long story short, they wouldn't sell me the light unless I bought the whole truck for $500.

Had to hire a semi for $200 to get it hauled home.

It had a v12 pierce arrow block that seagrave bought the right to when PA went tits up and used until the 50s. Firetrucks needed redundancy so it had 24 spark plugs, 2 distributors, 4 coils, 2 batteries etc...

It had last been driven about 30 years before I bought it. But plugs, oil, gas, batteries, wiring and some ether had it running and driving.

15 year old potato quality videos
https://youtu.be/VZXdHR4i_z0
https://youtu.be/QlEDHMldnHQ
https://youtu.be/FSP58I-nxeI

my turn in the barrel fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Jun 5, 2022

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

my turn in the barrel posted:

This thread is just fuckin full of people leading a much more charmed life than I am, ain’t it?

:shepface:

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

LBX For the love of god jump on this so I don’t have to. My wife will kill me.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Please get that car for the love of God!!

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I realize it wouldn't be "original" but I have to imagine that in this era of DIY CAD and SendCutSend it would be feasible to come up with adapters to run a conventional driveshaft if needed.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003

I'm assuming everything except the axle/trans whatever caused it to be shelved will be relatively easy fixes but I'd rather assume the worst.

Previous owner stated car would do 75mph but was scary AF while doing so because he had it up to that last time it was on the road in the 90s.

Guessing he joyrode grampas car and hopefully blew out something dumb like the torque ball mounts rather than serious damage. Will only find out once the car is in hand and ready to be gone through.

And I 100% agree. Most old motors are low compression and have loose tolerances so they are usually pretty hard to lock up.

I once tried to buy the Mars OG "Light From Mars" off a 49 Seagrave pumper that someone had dropped off at a local metal recycling scrapyard.

Long story short, they wouldn't sell me the light unless I bought the whole truck for $500.

Had to hire a semi for $200 to get it hauled home.

It had a v12 pierce arrow block that seagrave bought the right to when PA went tits up and used until the 50s. Firetrucks needed redundancy so it had 24 spark plugs, 2 distributors, 4 coils, 2 batteries etc...

It had last been driven about 30 years before I bought it. But plugs, oil, gas, batteries, wiring and some ether had it running and driving.

15 year old potato quality videos
https://youtu.be/VZXdHR4i_z0
https://youtu.be/QlEDHMldnHQ
https://youtu.be/FSP58I-nxeI

Well, I'd really like this car... I'm going to send you a DM (EDIT, looks like I cant DM you, can you send me an email supercruiserstudios@gmail.com)

75 in these cars is childs play. The "Century" model was released in I think 37 and it was guaranteed to maintain 100mph on the highway - they would have the same engine as my 48.

That Seagrave is pretty intense.. still have that thing?

MrYenko posted:

This thread is just fuckin full of people leading a much more charmed life than I am, ain’t it?

:shepface:

doesnt have to be that way!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31A6RjOxE74

LobsterboyX fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Jun 6, 2022

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
So anyway - the prospect of maybe getting a 39 buick convertible from this forum is enough to keep me awake enough to make a post.

I've been without internet for a week, and its literally been killing me, I obviously have it at work, but...

Last Friday I was working from home, I had stepped out for a bit and was coming back home, a neighbor who is restoring a 67 eldo flagged me down and said "hey go up there and see whats going on with that lady, she looks upset"

so I went up the block a bit furter and sure enough, one of my neighbors was outside pacing back and forth on the phone, she got off the phone and told me that just a few minutes before, some guys had scaled the phone pole, cut a massive com line and stole it, along with some components

at the time we didn't know it was a com line and thought it may be a live power line, although unlikely because they were handling it, and those are usually on the very top of the power pole. I called my buddy who is the beat cop in our hood and he summoned fire and he went over there to take a report.

the lady gave me the video her home security cams got...

bag boy

really? dodge nitro?

So ATT is lovely and didn't restore the line, for all I know they still haven't restored the line, but upgraded everyone out of internet to fiber, for a $20 per month fee... hmm.. the downed line also sat there for a week.

anyway, I feel like everything is brand new, and I can actually use the internet again.

_________

I guess I'm also preparing for ww3 and buying kerosene lanterns again - this is a whole new frontier of collecting for me and is cripplingly boring to talk about with anyone...

so skip ahead please.

I have some saved ebay searches that I made long ago that are the gift that keeps giving, about a month ago two gems popped up

this Embury's supreme City of LA - I'd date this one to the late 30s.

I also picked up ANOTHER Embury's Air Pilot City of LA... this one was introduced in about 1939 to 1950 - so this is a solidly 40s tin lantern. the one with the red globe is just a standard variant, not city of LA.

as normal lanterns are concerned, they are no big deal, but these companies had contracts with cities, before you know, flashlights... these would have been found in place of flashing lights used in roadwork, so there was no shortage of them.

I love going to the hardware store and buying kerosene.. in los angeles. most of the time the cans have dust on them.

___

Another neighbor came over and said "hey I rent space from this lady and her husband was in to old ww2 jeeps and tanks and stuff, she gave me this box, you want it?"

all this stuff is NOS - they are blackout lights from ww2, a nice PERFECT set of dietz headlights and what looks to be a battery powered light for the reticle of a howitzer.

they were packed in this:

so this stuff hasn't seen the light of day since the late 80s.

I have no clue what I'm going to do with it, but its cool!

_______

garage decor'

This was a huge joint effort in amazing history: my long time buddy sells furniture among other things, one of his customers was the grandson of Donald Douglas- founder of Douglas aircraft- in his visit to this man, he was introduced to this sign which hung above one of the entrances to the plant that employed my grandfather and turned out aircraft that are responsible for so much in our life. Tyson took some awesome detailed photos of the sign, they were then forwarded to our incredibly talented sign painter friend who recreated them in exacting detail, one for me, one for him. This is a wildly important piece for me on so many levels, it will be treasured, and passed along.

I had to move the 42 out of the garage to hang my other Douglas thing..

The same neighbor that gave me the box came over and helped me wrestle this thing up there.

my wife is also cool and bought me this:

If you know what that is, you're alright in my book.

house work:

This last week was huge, my shower was leaking and rotted out a part of our bathroom floor, the floor was re-done in about 2012 so it was a bit upsetting to have to replace some wood and we decided to lay tile. but the room itself was built in 1957, which was an add-on to this 1938 house.

love this old full dim lumber.

me, my father-in-law and a great guy we hired did the demo, which took about a day, then my FIL and the guy replaced the wood, then the guy laid the new tile, which... of course is reproduction 1930s weave pattern

It's done now, but I still need to do the base moulding , which I've been supply-chained like 3x at the places that have high quality reproduction millwork. I got some home depot stuff that I may just put in for now until we can get good stuff again, but whatever, it will work, its also MDF which is not ideal for a bathroom - the wallpaper, sinks and faucets are all exacting reproduction - we were going for our interpretation of:

so big weekends for cars:

homegrown bananas make everything better

my buddy's severely chopped coupe at the Antique drags sporting one of my traffic violator stickers

I've had some complaints that its too big for cars with chopped windshields, my buddy, being the guy he was sought to prove them incorrect.

we went to the airport on memorial day to watch the Condor Squadron of T6 Texans take off.. I have to get my wifes pics of this, but they let us up close to them when they fired up - so cool to see a formation takeoff... it gives me chills to hear those big radials

cruise nights are always the best

yeah i parked like a poo poo.

and today I went to the All GM show..

aaaannnd once again won worst in show... I've consistently been winning this award since like 2004ish - maybe its time to not have a lovely car anymore.

LobsterboyX fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Jun 6, 2022

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...
Please buy all of the cars so I can continue to live vicariously through you

E. this was in response to your first post about that car you're all looking at, but man you get up to some cool stuff

Project M.A.M.I.L. fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Jun 6, 2022

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

My brother is going to take the car, it was a few hours away and he didn't have a trailer with to haul it back. From what he said the price was negotiated dependant on getting it back on the road so the PO could drive/possibly break it one more time. :(

I'm also near the IL WI border so even a free car would cost more in gas than it's worth to your neck of the woods.

In other news, I slacked and forgot to upload pics from my dslr but I took my 4 year old son to the Sharon, WI Model A Day this morning. Probably 200+ model As lining a few city blocks. Flappers, gangsters, newsies wandering around. Bank robbery skits on the streets with blank firing Thompsons.

There was also a 2 block long street of swap meet parts. Most vendors had model a parts exclusively. Having gleaned some great banger info from your posts it was neat seeing what old speed parts were scattered around. Only thing that seemed legit was an old Riley OHV conversion that I would have never recognized nor realized the significance of had you not posted about your Cragar setup and Model A OHV stuff.

Edit: ended up the seagrave was purchased new in 49 by Crystal Lake, IL a local town, I found original production photos of the truck during assembly and newspaper photos of Santa leading the 1949 Christmas Parade when it was brand new.

The previous owner was the Mayor of Hoffman estates and had used it as a campaign/parade vehicle from the door livery and campaign signs.

The saddest part was.... as I was loading it at the scrapyard one of the workers came over and said it was brought into the scrapyard on a gooseneck by one of the deceased PO's daughters in mint but rusty condition with all of the doors/cabinets/ladders etc.. intact. They told her it had no scrap value but they wouldn't charge her to recycle it so She essentially gave the Truck away. The scrapyard even said they would unload it off her gooseneck as a favor. They unloaded it by grabbing it with a giant Claw and roached the ladders and sheetmetal on the right side.

As such I tried to get someone local to give me the $700 I had in it if they wanted to restore it. Local fire museum told me they didn't want it unless it was free. A few other leads all fizzled out when it came time to make a deal. I was young and broke and didn't have the $700 to spare so I ended up ebaying it for $1500 iirc. Buyer planned to pull the motor and grill to fab into a hot rod and scrap the rest. The one thing that few people realize is that most old Pumpers have a ginormous solid bronze water pump behind the transmission so you can usually recoup a fair amount of cash scrapping the pump to get the truck on the road if you aren't planning to use it as a pumper.

I found a site with non potato engine/cab pics of a similar truck to mine. https://barnfinds.com/monster-v12-1939-seagrave-canopy-cab/

Seagrave used that exact block for a few decades.

my turn in the barrel fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jun 6, 2022

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

LobsterboyX posted:

If you know what that is, you're alright in my book.

All part of the show...

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

This came floating by in my feed today, thought it might get some enjoyment here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lKhXXI9Uk4

It's the "Babbit Bank Trophy" a Japanese dirt day with cars from the 20s 30s and 40s.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

LobsterboyX posted:

aaaannnd once again won worst in show... I've consistently been winning this award since like 2004ish - maybe its time to not have a lovely car anymore.

"Most ambitious project". What a nice way to say "hoo boy that's a bit crappy there, boy."

beep-beep car is go posted:

This came floating by in my feed today, thought it might get some enjoyment here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lKhXXI9Uk4

It's the "Babbit Bank Trophy" a Japanese dirt day with cars from the 20s 30s and 40s.

I so admire the average Japanese car enthusiast's willingness to beat the hell out of their cars.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Darchangel posted:

I so admire the average Japanese car enthusiast's willingness to beat the hell out of their cars.

If you think it's hard to get parts for a 20s Ford in California, I can't imagine how ugly the process would be to find something in Saitama.

Here's another video from someone who appears to be a vintage scooter collector and race participant:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_W5omPZmDk

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

LobsterboyX posted:

:golfclap: lovely cars are fun cars, embrace it

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

I just got a text from my brother with this picture

I'll try to catch up with him tomorrow or next weekend and get better pics

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
I want that.. I NEED that.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

Didn't get a chance to see it yet but He sent me a few more pics.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Holy poo poo you’ve found the grail. Holy poo poo.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
thats like wet dream material. get some engine shots!

you could make it look like this!

I think 39 engines should have been red, but I'm partial to the correct green color...

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Holy poo poo!

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Didn't get a chance to see it yet but He sent me a few more pics.

drat. That thing's gorgeous.

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.
I finally got around to finishing LA Noire recently, that was one of my favorite cars from it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJ41QMo7_QU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

LA Noire was so good to have both the IP and it’s underlying technology completely abandoned.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
I've told you guys about my LA Noir involvement, no?

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

LobsterboyX posted:

I don't remember if you had but I'd love to hear it

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

LobsterboyX posted:

I think it was linked elsewhere and it’s what brought me to your thread.

Still fuckin rules. :allears:

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

DoubleT2172 posted:

I don't remember if you had but I'd love to hear it

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
So maybe 2008-9 I was primarily driving my 48 Buick almost daily. I was working for a startup that did trade booths and experiences for various video game companies. The team I was on focused primarily on other things, but I'd get to go to E3 and CES and other cool trade shows. I had heard rumblings about this game coming up. I did a bit of research and found out that Team Bondi was not associated with anyone I could directly talk to... so I just kinda forgot about it and decided to wait for the game to come out. I had been out of the gaming world for so long, but I had made up my mind that I was going to buy an xbox specifically for this game.

Also at that time I was going to a cruise night nearly every friday at Bobs Bigboy in burbank - kinda the ultimate so cal cruise night - at the time my car looked like this:

now my car looks like this:

can you see the differences?

It was not uncommon for people to be at the cruise night taking photos of cars, so when a guy approached my asking if he could take some pics of my car, it was nothing special, the guy had an Australian accent. We started chatting and before I knew it, there were about 5-6 guys all asking me questions about the car, they had some really nice cameras and photo gear. believe it or not, stuff like this happens frequently, especially with foreign visitiors to car shows, many times they will have a car like yours and want to take pictures of it to help them restore it or just document their trip, so I really didn't put it all together

they started taking pictures of the car from all angles, interior shots, engine pictures, and the guy that initiated the conversation started asking about how original my car was and I started to think about the motivation for this - all at once it hit me and I said "this is something, isnt it? a video game?" the other guys heads all whipped around and he said with a smile "i cant tell you if it is or isnt" - he said "we just came back from shooting the tucker at the Peterson and we're collecting a lot of info on 40s cars and LA history" - which really cemented it for me. The more I talked to the guy the more we both let slip, he was interested in my line of work and I was interested in his - we actually exchanged cards, but it was his personal, not attached to Bondi.

He asked me if I had any other suggestions of places to check out, I gave him some and told them to please let me know what and how the pics were used - I never thought to ask for money, because at the end of the day, my car is parked in a public parking lot at a diner on a cruise night and there were just some guys taking pics of a car - but I was really excited to talk to them and let them know about places in LA that still exist that are era appropriate.

We wound up talking more about LA than anything else, so we said our goodbyes and i hoped the guy would reach out to me, which he never did... but again, this kind of thing with with out of towners is common.

FF to when the game comes out...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqBDE9l5Sms

notice anything similar about this car and mine at the time these pics were taken?

It's missing the trim on the pontoon and rear fender skirt - My car never had that, but since then I've found all the trim and reinstalled it, my car was also lowered and has the same wheel treatment.

So long story short, I have no evidence of this, but I'm almost positive that my exact car was used as source material for the car model in the game.

so relating that - I have a car in a video game, set in the city I grew up in and love, in the time period I wish I could have experienced.

to add to the evidence, the guys mentioned they were shooting cars at the Peterson museum.

The Peterson has a 1948 Tucker in their collection, its a pretty clean one and they have owned it a very long time, I happen to know a thing or two about Tuckers -

this was in the private collection I used to store my cars in - its not the one at the peterson. I've driven this car too...

The one at the peterson ONLY Tucker in existence to have this small customization on the trunk lid that a previous owner made in the 1950s

poor picture but you can see that it has a little extra scoop moulded in with an emblem on it - this is not factory.

but the tucker in the game has that same customization...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q056cJL6hLc

So my evidence: austrailian guys collecting info on 40s cars and la history, they take a bunch of photos of my car with unique details, they mention shooting another car with very unique details that is 1 of a kind - both of those details show up in the final version of the game...

provable - no... but I'm sticking to my story.

LobsterboyX fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jun 14, 2022

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
It’s 100% clear to me they used your car I wouldn’t even doubt that. I remember when you originally posted about it. That is so beyond cool.

I’d like to play that game sometime to see it just can’t get the motivation to do any video games when I have so much car worth to do - maybe I’ll try this fall when the kids are going to bed early again for school.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
AFAIK it was the first game to be played in full as a movie, and it won an award. It really was a remarkable game but it didn't capture the younger audience because the action element isn't as strong, and while it is like a gta set in the 40s, you are limited to the story. All this talk makes me want to fire up my xbox again

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
I re-upped on stickers! funny enough, someone here asked me about them - added a few more to my inventory

as you can see, I got some static about the size of the traffic violator, so I made a smaller one!

last weekend I went to the Peterson museum for the "deuce" show - it was lame, but we cruised around with some select rods after the show - I was the only one there without a blown v8...

the building is super special, up until about 5-6 years ago it was still a functioning tire shop, it was so cool to see it lit up at night, we'd sometimes just go and hang there in their driveway.

here's an article about the place: https://la.eater.com/2021/2/23/22297834/los-angeles-historic-firestone-building-la-brea-all-season-brewing-chicas-tacos-open-inside-new

also, i found this weird thing... anyone know what it says?

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

LobsterboyX posted:

Oh hey, the missing headpiece to the staff of Ra. Gonna have to see both sides for a useful translation.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

LobsterboyX posted:

Ancient curse was not how I expected this thread to end, tbh.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Ancient cars and ancient curses

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

LobsterboyX posted:

“And on the back side, it says: ‘Take five quarts of 30-Weight, in honor of the garage where the holy ‘32 deuce coupe slumbers’”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
Me and a coworker used to give measurements in kadoms- but wait! Take back one kadom to honor the Hebrew gods who’s arc this was…

They were digging in the wrong garage!