Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Evil SpongeBob posted:

Want to save money on winter tires? Move to socal. I save at least 100 per year by not having to switch tires. Just ignore the taxes, rent, insurance, and everything else. Bing, bong, so simple!

DC also hasn't gotten major snowfall (over a foot) for the better part of a decade. I figure the second I bought a Subaru I doomed us to snowless winters. Yes, my purchase of an AWD car, and nothing else. :shepface:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Zamujasa posted:

Your first mistake is thinking that I chose to live here, where my rent has gone from $1200 when I moved in to over $1900 now, or that I continued wanting to live here when my job moved from being in the center of Henderson to the rear end end of the valley because it was better for the boss's kid.

I hate living here and I would love to move the gently caress out, unfortunately the terms of my lease turbofuck me if I break it.

e: and I was busy going through hell when my renewal came around and couldn't spare the time or money to figure out how the gently caress to get out of this hellhole.

Not legal advice but generally penalty provisions in contracts aren't enforceable. I don't have any clue what your lease says but you might be able to get it looked at by a housing clinic to make sure that it will actually do what it claims to.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

I bought winter tires like five years ago in the Seattle area as snow isn't common but messes us up bad when it happens. So far mostly useful around Christmas when I visit relatives and have to drive around hills.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Grip it and rip it posted:

Not legal advice but generally penalty provisions in contracts aren't enforceable. I don't have any clue what your lease says but you might be able to get it looked at by a housing clinic to make sure that it will actually do what it claims to.

this, mostly:

quote:

TERMINATION PRIOR TO LEASE EXPIRATION: If Resident terminates this Lease prior to the conclusion of its term
for any reason, voluntarily or involuntarily, Resident agrees that (apartment complex) will suffer damages and that
those damages will be difficult to quantify. As an agreed-upon liquidation of those damages sustained by Management,
Resident agrees to provide THIRTY (30) days' advance written notice, pay the amount of $3,600.00 and repay any
Concessions given at time of move-in (identified in section 1.1). This damages liquidation payment does not absolve
Resident from returning the Premises in as good condition or superior to which Management provided it to Resident at
the commencement of the lease, normal wear and tear excepted.

it wasn't as bad as i remembered, probably because i was mixing it with the transition to month-to-month where the price of rent goes up 20% automatically. oh well. guess i'll add "find someone who is a lawyer to ask about this" to the to-do list.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

DC also hasn't gotten major snowfall (over a foot) for the better part of a decade. I figure the second I bought a Subaru I doomed us to snowless winters. Yes, my purchase of an AWD car, and nothing else. :shepface:
just like all those people who make it rain when they get their car washed :v:

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
All y'all bitching about housing but Brands and the Free Market have you covered

https://twitter.com/killianwoods/status/1535984262075371522?t=1V_GhFyXi4b75S_GZy8WVQ&s=19

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Kinda like how I bought a generator in south FL in 2005 after seven hurricanes. No hurricanes until I moved to MD. Ironically, I lost power for longer periods in MD though.

I also bought a snow blower after snowmageddon. Didn't really snow much after that either. Just single digit ice storms.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Are nation states states? It's in the name after all. And winter tires is very much not a scam as very sadly has been and worse continues to be proven

E. All-season :downs: misread. Sorry

...what the hell did you misread that as lol

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

DC may not get many major snowfalls but it sure gets a lot of slush.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

maffew buildings posted:

All y'all bitching about housing but Brands and the Free Market have you covered

https://twitter.com/killianwoods/status/1535984262075371522?t=1V_GhFyXi4b75S_GZy8WVQ&s=19

Hey, think of how *convenient* it'll be when your landlord is the company you work for and/or your bank! :shepicide:

Neo-Feudalism speed run let's gooooooooooo

Tiny Timbs posted:

Ice storms are the worst and there's absolutely gently caress all you can really do about them.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Zamujasa posted:

even if you assume that 4/5 of the year it's fine (love me some 110 F weather) that still leaves a significant chunk of the year where, uh, i guess you just teleport poo poo to/from home i guess. nevermind that you can't exactly carry a large load of groceries on a bike

like having lived here for 32 years, gently caress biking in vegas. and also, gently caress vegas

Living in vegas for 32 years might make me appreciate the south. God what wasteland.

And vegas is even worse

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Zamujasa posted:

just like all those people who make it rain when they get their car washed :v:

Or bring clouds when they buy astro gear

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

maffew buildings posted:

paywalled and 12ft can't read it. oh well, i'm sure it's out of an altruistic desire to help their employees :dumb:

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Or bring clouds when they buy astro gear

Ask me about booking a weeks holiday in a bortle 1 area and getting a total of 20 minutes of clear skies :negative:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

maffew buildings posted:

That's Ireland.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Its the US too, even worse because its investment groups and rental groups:

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/04/23/us/corporate-real-estate-investors-housing-market.html

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss

Everyone I have ever met from Michigan has anger issues. Literally 100% of the dozen or so.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Sacrist65 posted:

Everyone I have ever met from Michigan has anger issues. Literally 100% of the dozen or so.

Well gently caress you too buddy!

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Michiganger

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Sacrist65 posted:

Would you say their anger is explosive?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Uhhh.. I only ever needed different season tires when I lived in parts of the U.S. with “real” winters. I live in the south now, and all seasons are ok? I mean the southeast U.S. is a large area, not really a tiny band.

Or have I just been lucky for all these decades and should be changing tires seasonally?

Depending on exactly where in the South you live, you should possibly be driving on summer tires rather than all weather.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Why don't you just choose to live in a city with better transit infrastructure

E: :rolleyes:

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Ope! Let me just get past you there

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Tiny Timbs posted:

Plus it gets cold enough for long enough in DeeCee that even if I don't need real rear end snow tires I find value in winter performance rubber for three or months out of the year.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?
I still run Alpine/Winter rated all seasons in California, I wind up in the mountains every once in a while and its nice to skip the chain check. On the 4x4 I use All terrains but I don't put enough miles on that truck to the point I already had "free replacement under warranty" sets of tires from 4 wheel parts since they go by tread depth and not age. I haven't paid new in 10 years :v:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

CommieGIR posted:

Its the US too, even worse because its investment groups and rental groups:

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/04/23/us/corporate-real-estate-investors-housing-market.html

Yeah, I should've clarified that if it was happening in the US it would certainly be way worse.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sacrist65 posted:

Well it is Methigan.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Re Uvalde bodycams, everyone already knows shooting kids is the cops weakness, they can't loving help themselves. poo poo, most of the time they do it like it's their greatest strength.

E) or are they talking about the locked door?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

This time they didn't mean to shoot the kids

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

It's probably like 45 mins of a dozen cops trying to push open the door then a janitor with the keys pulls and it opens....

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

That Works posted:

It's probably like 45 mins of a dozen cops trying to push open the door then a janitor with the keys pulls and it opens....

Actual still from the footage:

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/brynntannehill/status/1536415057654972416?s=21&t=OUz2Wup2n3n2w-LN_jKkog

Because of course a bunch of them are felons.

Once again heads up to Idaho police for not loving around on this and treating it seriously. This is discussed in the tweet above.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Marshal Prolapse posted:

https://twitter.com/brynntannehill/status/1536415057654972416?s=21&t=OUz2Wup2n3n2w-LN_jKkog

Because of course a bunch of them are felons.

Once again heads up to Idaho police for not loving around on this and treating it seriously. This is discussed in the tweet above.

It's Idaho so even if they somehow get convicted they're all going to get pardons from the governor after the Nazis take over the entire state government in a couple of months. Hope a federal prosecutor feels like throwing the book at them!

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

They published the mug shots of the PF fuckers and while most of them have the standard "sorry I got caught" look, one of them has the creepiest loving Jared Lee Loughner Nick Sandmann-esque smile on their faces with dead eyes behind it.

You're gonna hear from that rear end in a top hat again.

EDIT: This fucker right here:

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jun 14, 2022

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
That's the classic "my dad owns a dealership" look, like he comes from upper middle class money and his dad has an attorney already working on it.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

So I had a thought about the Jan 6 hearings-
If they do something, it's going to cause a giant gaping rift and probable violence. It will gently caress us up.

If they do nothing, it fucks us over. There is no fixing the system. The President is in effect a dictator.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I doubt congress will do anything but there’s nothing I have less time for than some gently caress trying to tell me that doing the bare minimum against criminals is unwise because terrorists might not appreciate it while they continue to do terrorism.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

bulletsponge13 posted:

If they do something, it's going to cause a giant gaping rift and probable violence. It will gently caress us up.

If they do nothing, it fucks us over. There is no fixing the system. The President is in effect a dictator.

Yeah, it is kind of a bad/worse situation.

I wonder how quickly things will happen. Will we be able to point at a specific point and say, "this is where things failed"?

I wonder about how aware people are before events like this. Ukraine knew they were going to be invaded, will we know before something crazy happens?

Maybe I should not have a second bourbon....

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

bulletsponge13 posted:

Considering the latter will inherently lead to the same violence and likely the implementation of the poo poo we had to liberate survivors from in 1945 I would rather have the non-autocratic civil war that results from the former instead of the autocratic civil war in the wake of the latter.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I know where my bread is buttered. I know what will happen if it comes down to it. I also know what horrors I will wreck if someone fucks with me or mine.

I'm going to say something that sounds totally douchey, but I mean it-

These fucks don't want a war. They haven't an idea what war looks like. They haven't a frame of loving reference. I'm not pretending im an expert, but I have more exposure than is healthy, and no one is really ready for that. They aren't ready for the casual mayhem, of texting photos of mangled bodies to ask "do you know who this is?", of the sheer amount of dead children- not troopers or soldiers, actual small children- that war brings.

And no one, loving no one, is prepared for what the government is capable of if given the chance. And they've had 20+ years of real life experience to back it up.

They hunted down a single RPG gunner who was dumb enough to say he shot down Extortion 17. JSOC hunted him down like he was UBL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sentinel
Jan 1, 2009

High Tech
Low Life

BS im starting to think youre the reincarnated William Tecumsah Sherman.