Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Just saw the best-timed Coinbase ad during the, basketball: "Crypto is dead. Long live crypto."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

just saw a Coinbase "Crypto is dead, Long live Crypto" ad during the NBA finals, as this huge crash is happening

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I just liquidated my retirement account to buy at this dip.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

I wouldn't take cryptonerds at face value for anything. I mean what are they going to say? We're hosed?

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin
All my butts gone

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Thundercracker posted:

I wouldn't take cryptonerds at face value for anything. I mean what are they going to say? We're hosed?

Also the way things are going this week that’s looking like they have funds to last to roughly… Friday

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

Thundercracker posted:

But to the topic, does Bitcoin not have trading hours?

24x7. If you sleep you might wake up ruined.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

dammit it just rallied 500 points i’m never going to nut at this rate

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

Piggy Smalls posted:

Guys the Nugen white paper is out. Hope the link works.

https://nugencoin.com//asset/pdf/Nugen-whitepaper-v1.0.pdf

Seems legit.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
Edging all the way to flatline

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Love 2 A pose.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Ooop back above 21. Fuckery is afoot.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

The Rabbi T. White posted:

Ooop back above 21. Fuckery is afoot.

People are trying to puppet that dead cat Weekend at Bernie's style.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Like if the guy has put up more collateral to avoid a margin call, that just means he's basically buying the dip. He's putting real money into the loan to keep it going.

This is pretty much what he's doing: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martingale_(betting_system)

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Every page of that white paper is a painting

"We project that 35,000 people will loan us 5 grand each."

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.
Are there any big institutional short positions with known cash-out prices?

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Am I reading this right? Isn't that just openly admitting to being a ponzi?

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
Guys I think I just thought of a brilliant crypto opportunity. Hear me out. One that, by design, cannot possibly every go down. Because it reached a high of 3 dollars, it will never be listed as worth less than that on any exchange. Sure, you can sell it to another person for 0.002 cents if you both agree, but on all of the exchanges it will still be listed at 3 dollars.

Nobody can ever lose any money if the price only goes up!

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Zil posted:

Wouldn't be anywhere near the first time.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Superrodan posted:

Guys I think I just thought of a brilliant crypto opportunity. Hear me out. One that, by design, cannot possibly every go down. Because it reached a high of 3 dollars, it will never be listed as worth less than that on any exchange. Sure, you can sell it to another person for 0.002 cents if you both agree, but on all of the exchanges it will still be listed at 3 dollars.

Nobody can ever lose any money if the price only goes up!

I believe there was an NFT that really tried this

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

"... invested to yield good returns overnight"

Why bother with the Noogen if you can guarantee good returns, just go to Wall Street

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

and back below 21k we go

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

so it's just... an unrelated savings account.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

"You're just like, well, I'm in the Ponzi business and it's pretty good."

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Zil posted:

There's a lot of crypto scams that all but say they're scams and people buy into them because they think the next sucker to buy in will be the one holding the bag. They're smart, they're going to be on the scammer side instead of the scammee.

Come to think of it, a lot not fake money cons work the same way: making the mark think they're the one pulling a con...

Bitcoin needs to quit flirting with total collapse and just get on with it so we can transition crypto to a post-apocalyptic Mad Max style scenario.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Jun 14, 2022

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Thundercracker posted:

I wouldn't say I am good at business but if I was about to be completely hosed by a margin call and my situation was much worse if people knew about it, I wouldn't tell them.

Yesterdays Latte
Nov 14, 2021
Hang on, if this bank decides to just liquidate the collateral instead of making the margin call (or just decides not to do it in the first place), that would feed back into itself, right? They'd have to sell the butts at lower and lower prices trying to get rid of them, driving the price down, which will scare more people into selling their butts, forcing the price down lower, and so on.

An rear end cascade, if you will

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Yesterdays Latte posted:

Hang on, if this bank decides to just liquidate the collateral instead of making the margin call (or just decides not to do it in the first place), that would feed back into itself, right? They'd have to sell the butts at lower and lower prices trying to get rid of them, driving the price down, which will scare more people into selling their butts, forcing the price down lower, and so on.

This is a common misconception. Actually what would happen is the price of bitcoin would rocket up, soaring higher and higher and usher in a new era of freedom in finances.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

SRQ posted:

so it's just... an unrelated savings account.

It's like a savings account, except you can't close it for two years and you only find out how much money you made (or lost) annually. But how can they lose money with surefire bangers like

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

This just says "we are a Ponzi scheme"

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Yesterdays Latte posted:

Like a balloon, and something bad happens!

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

ReidRansom posted:

Come on that doesn't make any sense. The whole point of a ponzi scheme is that you don't tell people what you're doing. This is much more legit than that.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

ReidRansom posted:

I'll have you know they're going to print money by *also* delivering metaverse content:

Conservatively, this is worth at least $95 million in the first year

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Also your obsolete fiat currency will be perfectly safe in a Cayman Islands based bank that we own.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Feel like a lot of people in here don't know about Honest Ponzis.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

wyoak posted:

thats not how the moon works!

Solar eclipses are a myth because I’ve never seen one!!

Janitor Ludwich IV
Jan 25, 2019

by vyelkin
sorry to tell you this but your nugen investor friends or whatever have brain worms

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Yesterdays Latte posted:

yeah that's why for something like bitcoin you should get liquidated when the notional value is 200% of the loan, so you can take big losses dumping it and still get your money back

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Regrettable posted:

Feel like a lot of people in here don't know about Honest Ponzis.

The YouTube channel that should’ve ended five years ago?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Salt Fish posted:

Come on that doesn't make any sense. The whole point of a ponzi scheme is that you don't tell people what you're doing. This is much more legit than that.

How about "we are a Ponzi scheme", but in a fake Mario-like heavy italian accent? It works for the leather coats!