Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Yanfei just feels so effortless to play, like her rotations basically don't change except for one team where she doesn't CA. just a nice smooth 3-hit combo with good range and tracking, doesn't move you around excessively like Kokomi etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

dogsicle posted:

Yanfei just feels so effortless to play, like her rotations basically don't change except for one team where she doesn't CA. just a nice smooth 3-hit combo with good range and tracking, doesn't move you around excessively like Kokomi etc.

Only Kokomi's "best" rotation does that and she still hits really hard without doing it.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i assumed she was usually doing N2 cancel which avoids it, but it's still a trait of her full chain is what i meant to get at.

Pope Urbane II
Nov 25, 2012
I've been running Yanfei, Yelan, Raiden, Kokomi for maximum zone-out gameplay. Three sub-dps in a circle with lots of electro and pyro reactions. Definitely suboptimal, but totally smooth brained.

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

Ningguang was my first C6 besides Traveler so I have a soft spot for her. I can't imagine playing her without Constellations 2 and 6 though.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

So uh, I also just got Yelan so I think I'm going to have a few months of bad luck now.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

Eimi posted:

So uh, I also just got Yelan so I think I'm going to have a few months of bad luck now.

drat nice. Yelan, Diluc, Bennett is a very good squad

Zwiebel
Feb 19, 2011

Hi!

Eimi posted:

In case you didn't know, this was basically guaranteed as your next 5* after you got Diluc.
The pity system will give you the on banner 5* next if you got one of the standard banner 5* (Diluc, Jean, Mona, Keqing, Qiqi) on the event banner before.
This can be carried forward between banners.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one

BabyRyoga posted:

Yeah, but will I hear a nice crisp rhythmic click as a constantly cancel my charge attack into a jump when I use Yanfei?
Yanfei is really useful in the overworld when you want to blow stuff up with minimal effort, especially against those pesky specters. I use her a lot more than Hu Tao for the overworld because Yanfei is more convenient for short fights and hard-to-reach enemies.

I've used Yanfei in the abyss when I had no other main DPS options. Would not recommend. Haven't brought Yanfei into the abyss since I got XL and later Hu Tao built. With the right supports Yanfei can be viable but without them she is a real pain.

Why is it Ning's charged attack is so finicky about executing? I never have issues with executing Yanfei's CA but with Ning it seems like I need to hold attack longer and not move or she wont execute it. I find that pretty annoying considering her normal attack animations end faster while she is moving.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Glad they made the flagship event like 20 days again cause it came at a time when I was in the middle of packing and moving, started taking new shifts at work with a longer commute and have generally just been all around busy, so I'm just getting to the End of The Line portion today since I had to catch up on some of the Chasm stuff first on top of everything going on. Continue to have the polar opposite problem of a lot of people on the internet with this game where instead of "OMG NOTHING TO DO GIT IT 2GETHER HOYOVERSE!!!!!!!" it's more like every other patch I'm scrambling a bit even with 3 week long events and trying to avoid spoilers while still looking for quality info on the game all the same. I know of some of the principle characters of the event due to stumbling across fanart for what I assume is the "waifu" of the segment, but managed to avoid any concrete details so Yae Yay!

Anyway random animation I came across I might as well share:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lji9GrICbAU

Kale fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jun 13, 2022

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Eimi posted:

Yelan is really good and a lot of fun. Probably my favorite 5* I've pulled in months. She even works pretty well as a carry if you're so inclined.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

Sanctum posted:

Why is it Ning's charged attack is so finicky about executing? I never have issues with executing Yanfei's CA but with Ning it seems like I need to hold attack longer and not move or she wont execute it. I find that pretty annoying considering her normal attack animations end faster while she is moving.

Probably animation issues; Barbara's also a pain to get to actually do a charge attack if you weren't standing perfectly still and doing nothing. For ningguang specifically, it's probably some nonsense with left-hand/right-hand versions of the CA, because that's a thing.

I guess when I give her a battery twirl next I'll just spend more time dropping the screen on dudes. Not having any clue what to do with her to help noelle, I was basically just putting it somewhere handy and just running through it for that boost. Ningguang badly needs a rebuild anyway, she's got some random 2pc sets or something, and ~800 damage/NA is less than Barbra's pulling off, and way slower to boot.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
I tried Ning as one of my Noelle batteries and she just didn't fit into the role as well as Geo MC, Yun Jin, or Gorou. She just doesn't contribute enough beyond particles, and everyone gives particles.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

A well geared Ning does a lot of damage as a burst support

Kale
May 14, 2010

Sanctum posted:

Yanfei is really useful in the overworld when you want to blow stuff up with minimal effort, especially against those pesky specters. I use her a lot more than Hu Tao for the overworld because Yanfei is more convenient for short fights and hard-to-reach enemies.

I've used Yanfei in the abyss when I had no other main DPS options. Would not recommend. Haven't brought Yanfei into the abyss since I got XL and later Hu Tao built. With the right supports Yanfei can be viable but without them she is a real pain.

It definitely feels like her charge attack has one of the longest start up times of any of them. Like at least a second longer than the average charge startup. It's probably something to do with her having to do those fabulous twirls and hand movements with her attacks.

Andrast posted:

A well geared Ning does a fuckton of damage

I like when you do her burst with a Jade Wall up and the first wave of gems kills whatever you're targeting and the gems from the dismantled wall just kind of spin around it's decomposing body not knowing what to do before timing out. It's possible to rattle of something like 25 hits (gem+3 gem charge+2 jade walls+burst 1+burst 2+7 gem charge) in under 10 seconds at C6 with some solid damage scaling per gem too, but she's not so hot before at least getting to C1 and getting the Aoe splash damage property on her gems. She's definitely a solid character, just kind of slow attack animations for some of the moves. In the story I think she's supposed to be a lot more powerful though and pretty up there in terms of at least human characters. At least in the cutscenes she does some pretty crazy stuff she can't do in game, kind of like Shenhe.

Kale fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jun 13, 2022

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

The thing with Ning (heyoooo) is that you have to hold forward while you go through her NA chain. It's weird but it eliminates a lot of the jank her NA has. But you typically won't be doing her NA anyway since, as said, a well geared C6 Ning does absolutely bananas damage with her Skill-assisted Burst+CA and can generate Geo particles like crazy.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I don't care if it's not optimal, I will always do the NA's with Ning to do a charge attack

Kale
May 14, 2010

Yeah so back to Is This Novel Amazing today. This quest chain line just doesn't work for me or at least will not continue on to the one with the author if I choose to try to go that route. I've gotten the second one of the editor both times I've tried to go that route though just not the very last one after that no matter what book I've given the guy. I think I'm just going to go random or something for daily commissions for a while or switch to Mondstadt for the easiest ones after attempt one more go with the editor one and trying to get beyond that since the wiki seems to really think if you submit the right book first and just end it that it should spawn the world quest one after that....even though I tried that already. Basically here's my tally so far.

Is this novel amazing->Editor path->Submit Literature Club->Reset
Is this novel amazing->Author Path->Reset
Is this novel amazing->Editor Path->Submit all 3 books with literature club last->Reset
Is this novel amazing->Author path->Reset
Is this novel amazing->Editor Path->

https://genshin-impact.fandom.com/wiki/This_Novel_Seems..._Problematic%3F

I have never gotten this quest to spawn, but I've gotten

https://genshin-impact.fandom.com/wiki/This_Novel..._Seems_Familiar%3F

This one twice without getting that seemingly impossible to unlock Storytelling Method World Quest

My only guess is that my game is somehow bugged and it's just not giving me credit somehow for having done the first part when I side with Junkichi but is for Shigeru since both times I've done the latter I've reliably gotten the follow up but both times I've done the former it's sent me back to square one like I never did it the next time a related commission spawns. Unless there's a very specific set of choices you're supposed to pick with all the variations (I can only really recall getting the Doushin one anyway 3 times now) that's the only other thing I can think of. Not that anyone seems to know.

Kale fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jun 13, 2022

MoonCrab
Nov 19, 2014

A mildly pertubed emoji face
In case anyone wants to know for sure, yes, the reason Ning's charge attacks feel funky is because she has three different animations for normal attacks. It takes her different amounts of time to execute a charge after each of the different animations, and one of them fuckin blows. I don't remember which animation is the bad one, but if you do know, you can just do the charge whenever one of her 2 good animations come up. She'll feel much better to play that way.

I still remember the spin is one of the good ones, so I usually just charge after that one. I think the left hand attack is the other good one, she does kind of a doubleslap motion, but I don't remember for sure. You can probably look it up pretty easily, but in the end it's not really that big of a deal.

Eimi posted:

Getting Yelan before Xingqiu.. what in the world kinda newbie luck is this...

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

إنه أصلع في الأسفل، كما تعلم
Inazuma is so annoying. Just deeply, on every level. Today's fave was listening to Yoimiya talk for 420,69 hours to close a quest and then immediately be thrown into a fight with the Shogun, aka Mike Tyson circa 1986 Nintendo. I might have yelled. I'm taking a moment.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I like this new rhythm game. Got 98.08% and 4865 score for the highest difficulty on the first one.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

You know I've noticed I kinda bounce around a whole lot on characters and teams I run and stick with. Seemingly there's nobody I'm super committed to yet.

Which makes me curious: What are everyone's "mains" if you have one?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
They change up what enemies are weak to in abyss. Ayaka was close to a main for me for 2.0 through 2.6 but she's not so useful at the moment. But Bennett/Xingqiu/Xiangling/Kazuha (and now yelan as well probably) will always be my most used characters if something is actually hard. Fischl and Albedo are probably the two characters I like using the most and I make excuses to use them.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jun 14, 2022

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
Mains:
Ganyu on freeze or melt
Klee on mono pyro or vaporize
Raiden on well any team, but Raiden national is by far her best
Sucrose on a taser team
Noelle, though I havent brought her out in a while

Razor was my og main until I got Klee

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Unless something has extreme cryo resistance or immunity, my go-to is Ayaka/Shenhe for big braindead damage.

I genuinely don't like using XQ or Xingling, haven't done so for almost a year and only use Bennett when there's like a ice lawachurl.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
I wish the game tracked how much time you spend on characters. Would be interesting to see who my next most used after Chongyun is. Probably Kazuha now.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Tae posted:

Unless something has extreme cryo resistance or immunity, my go-to is Ayaka/Shenhe for big braindead damage.

I genuinely don't like using XQ or Xingling, haven't done so for almost a year and only use Bennett when there's like a ice lawachurl.

It's funny how much everyone talks up Bennett as like the best thing since sliced bread seeing as I have him at C6 and just never bothered to put time or resources into dealing with him.

I guess now the option is available for Pyro Keqing if I ever get truly bored.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I mean Bennet is still the best support for reaching the DPS checks, but most people don't have max 4 stars and a majority of the 5 stars.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

I rotate between my Childe team, my Itto team, and my Yae team (which is honestly pretty strong but also uses a character I think I've seen maybe only one other person in existence pair with Yae which is kinda funny :v:); last slot has rotated between Xiao, Chongyun, and is currently a Yelan shell (PLEASE give us more team slots MHY, cmon)

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

If I'm going to a new place and just want to make things dead so I can go looking for puzzles, it's probably Ayaka/Fischl; Xingqiu; Hu Tao; Zhongli. Maybe Eula; Qiqi; Shogun; Fischl, if there isn't much chance I'll want a healer who doesn't sorta rely on things being alive to hit.

Otherwise I just run around with whoever's not at max friendship unless I need something specific for a boss or whatever.

YoshiOfYellow posted:

It's funny how much everyone talks up Bennett as like the best thing since sliced bread seeing as I have him at C6 and just never bothered to put time or resources into dealing with him.

I guess now the option is available for Pyro Keqing if I ever get truly bored.

I haven't bothered with him, I don't really like "please stand in this circle" as a gameplay mechanic and I'm not terribly interested in taking screenshots with huge numbers or whatever.

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

YoshiOfYellow posted:

My main team is pretty much:

Noelle, the Geo Archon
Raiden, the Electro Archon
Kokomi, the Fish Archon (Who sounds like a cat when attacking, very important when deciding who to put in the main team)
Ganyu, the Work Archon

Things seem to die in the overworld, and I give zero fucks about the Spiral Abyss so I'll never have to actually worry about making a proper team or trying to play the game optimally.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

My go-to for "I just want to reliably win and there aren't many Abyss Mages/Lectors" was my all-Geo Itto team. My second-most reliable team was Ayaka freeze team.

Now I think it's switched to my Yoimiya/Yelan team. Worse AoE, but I enjoy gameplay focused around normal attacks.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i just use characters based on friendship now, so last patch was Ayato overvape to get him to 10 and now he drives my Yelan teams with whatever flex slots (Kazuha, Yun, Bennett, ZL etc). lately abyss teams are Ayato overvape, Ayaka freeze, Itto mono geo, maybe [insert pyro dps] vape/double hydro.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

wow they made a legit rhythm game this time. nice! lots of songs, too. eventually

only weird thing is hold notes being silent, and I'm sure it's not as good an experience on ps or pc, because touchscreen rhythm games are kinda terrible with actual keys

e:

sayu cute a+ game

Zenostein fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Jun 14, 2022

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Zenostein posted:

wow they made a legit rhythm game this time. nice! lots of songs, too. eventually

only weird thing is hold notes being silent, and I'm sure it's not as good an experience on ps or pc, because touchscreen rhythm games are kinda terrible with actual keys

e:

sayu cute a+ game

What's up with your calibration value? Doesn't that alter the timing a bunch? Mine was just 0 after I did the calibration.

Also that's a really high score; I thought mine was good. I think the main difference is that I missed one somewhere in the middle, which broke my combo (which was only 100-something at the very end).

edit: Did it again and got 4900; it actually helped a little turning the calibration to 20

edit2: Tried it on the middle difficulty and only got two non-Perfects; the hardest difficulty is kind of necessary to be a challenge, partly due to the interface being pretty intuitive and easy to use

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Jun 14, 2022

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

YoshiOfYellow posted:

You know I've noticed I kinda bounce around a whole lot on characters and teams I run and stick with. Seemingly there's nobody I'm super committed to yet.

Mostly geo and Ganyu. Noelle/Itto, Ningguang and Zhongli.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

Ytlaya posted:

What's up with your calibration value? Doesn't that alter the timing a bunch? Mine was just 0 after I did the calibration.

Also that's a really high score; I thought mine was good. I think the main difference is that I missed one somewhere in the middle, which broke my combo (which was only 100-something at the very end).

That's full perfect. I did replay it a few times, and popped the speed up to 1.5x. Personally, I think the buttons are a bit tight, considering they aren't on a straight line they could've spaced them a bit better.

Calibration value was what I got from the calibration with some headphones on my phone. It is weird that it was a bit off the default --- actual rhythm games on ios are basically always perfect at 0. I assume that's just the result of it being a minigame and not actually a game tuned for responsiveness. Either way, that's what I got after playing with the calibration for a few taps (going by ear, not visually). Honestly, that calibration's better than a lot of other game's calibrations, which feel sorta vague about when they expect you to tap.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

YoshiOfYellow posted:

I was looking through my used characters last night (they're all 80/90) and while the order of achieving that level is a factor the clear experience winner by a long shot is ZL. I rotate Abyss teams based on what is needed and generally stack weird overworld teams in the same way, but there is almost always a ZL. Tallest dude, pillar for climbing, invincible shield, rainbow shred... he's the most universally good character in the game.

Sanctum posted:

This killed any hopes of ever seriously playing her for me. The way it's supposed to work, or as I've been told, is hold a direction and N3, then very quickly let go and C, then slam the stick in a direction again and N3. The charge attack came out sometimes when I had a direction held, or didn't when the stick was neutral, and in going friendship 0-10 (before teapot) I never once got it to be consistent. It's a shame because she's pretty great outside of that.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Yelan is super fun! Been enjoying trying to use her as a main just cause I think she's really cool. Yanfei is also really neat. Maybe not as effective as Diluc but I like the whole seal system and how it interacts with her charged attack. Still been rolling around with Yelan, Diluc, Yanfei, and Barbara, as of the healers I have she's really straight forward and I appreciate that. I feel like I sub in at least one more elemental type but I'm not sure who I have that would be better, maybe Beidou?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

outside of a day or two messing around with sayu, kazuha hasn't left my party once since I rolled him

mostly I just use the people I've already invested in to dodge artifact farming tho