Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

With the recent world events, I've been considering joining the reserves. I'm 31, I have 2 kids, and I work a (flexible and accommodating) full time job as a robot/machine designer. I have a 3 year college diploma in mechanical engineering. I've considered multiple times joining the military, but never did. I was accepted in 2010 to officer school to be an armour officer but I decided against it then, and moved on with my life. I'm the type of person who feels a genuine sense of communal pride in where I live (I live in a co-operative, bank with a credit union, volunteer and donate to the food bank, participate in my community garden, etc.), and want to serve the country I love (don't laugh). I have no desire to make it a full time job or anything but I'd like to be ready to assist my countrymen in emergencies, humanitarian or environmental, or god forbid, in case of a catastrophic war. I have no illusions about romanticism of the military, I've read loads and loads of memoirs and am a passionate amateur historian (don't laugh). I'm mentally prepared to be yelled at by a drill sergeant 10 years my younger. Saying all this to give some idea of where my head and intentions are at with this.

I'm just sort of exploring this right now but I'm wondering if you guys could answer a couple questions and advise me if you've been in a similar situation or have friends/family/colleagues that have. Mock me for my naivety if you'd like.

Would my work experience be of any value here? Should I look for a job/unit that uses it, or would I just be looking to join as an enlisted infantryman? Is it really just one night a week and one weekend a month, or is there a whole bunch of other poo poo that comes with it? I could probably take a couple months off of work to do basic, but I'm wondering what the actual time obligations are like. Is this realistic for someone like me, or will this be too much (probably more of a personal question, but open to opinions)?

I joined when I was 31, but I don't have kids. My advice is to join a trade that you actually want to practice, not just something that you feel you are "supposed" to be doing because of your civilian job or because it fits some image in your head of what it means to be in the military. I know a lawyer that joined the artillery because they wanted to blow poo poo up. For myself, I cannot imagine a worse choice of trade than spending my weekends and evenings doing the same poo poo I do during the week, except getting paid less and in worse conditions.

As an older person, the toughest part is to get the time off to do courses to get you trade qualified. Once that's done, you don't have to do anything else unless you want to but your progression is stuck if you can't get away for courses. If you're ok with that, that's ok too.

Where I live, there are disaster relief operations every year with the fires and flooding now due to climate change inaction. I don't see this slowing down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

Not to derail an important conversation, but YouTube works on DWAN all of a sudden, so good luck closing the fiscal year end without more distractions. :v:

Edit: agh, they nicked it. Well it was fun while it lasted.

Thanks for posting the secrets, dork :(

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
Ah gently caress, you're right! :doh:

I'm sorry everyone.

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

the PRes is a bit of a commitment as an officer because you will have to do 10 weeks for the Army officer qualification course and it’s not in mods so hopefully your employer is chill about that. It also sucks rear end. All the medical trades aside from HCA are exempt from this now iirc.

Trades courses are getting much better in terms of distance delivery. LogO only need a bit over a month I think and SigO need 10 weeks of time actually at a training school to be qualified, the rest is done via distance learning or on the job training at specific units.

At the unit I am attach posted to currently they are actually going to finish those 10 weeks throughout the regular training year at the unit because basically no one is able to take time off work. Most units are not nearly as organized, kinda sad I have to head back to my regular unit and will miss out.

If you go in as an NCM in a non-combat arms trade you go straight to your trade qualification course after basic now and some are basically all online. If you want to be a clerk it’s a pretty easy training pathway and you’ll still get to go have fun doing army poo poo. Lots of opportunities for extra work also if life suddenly throws you a curveball.

Honestly, you have a lot going on and I wouldn’t recommend taking the officer route if you want to have a balanced life. It’s great if you are in uni and can train over the summers but I’ve had to miss some significant family events for a job that is very poorly paying at the lower ranks and mostly mundane day to day.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Thanks for the feedback everyone. One note from the post above - you still need a university degree to be an officer right? 3-year diploma doesn't get me anywhere?

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
Turns out if you obstruct the investigation into yourself over rape, you only get 80 hours community service!!!

Real fuckin tone deaf, cf

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

Uh, I'm not sure if anyone's read CANFORGEN 38/22 (essentially just CF Mil Pers Instr 1/22), but newly-posted members can soon request to work remotely instead of relocating. This requires a not-insignificant approval process (gaining CO, CMP, etc), and there's a load of caveats, and this of course is only for positions where remote work is practical.

This is way bigger news than the hair thing.

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

This is way bigger news than the hair thing.

Not if you could have a sick flow like solid snake it isn’t.

Seriously though, this would be awesome but goddamn if there is going to be anyone with the common sense to actually approve this I would be surprised. I think some trades need to look really hard in the mirror (sigs) and see that they are absolutely not a competitive employer without these kind of arrangements.

That works on the assumption that leaders remember that this is a job first and foremost and people have other goals in their lives than serving in the good ol CAF

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

im just waiting until i can load planes from home.

just tow the plane to my place

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

My Spirit Otter posted:

im just waiting until i can load planes from home.

just tow the plane to my place

maybe with the gripen that could’ve worked but that’s a no go sorry.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

they don't take enough cargo for me to load, sadly

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

my morning jackass posted:

maybe with the gripen that could’ve worked but that’s a no go sorry.

gripens gonna gripe

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Welp say goodbye to the M777s, looks like they going to do some Suka Blyat in Ukraine.

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

Chances we ever see them again?

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Replaced by new ones or whatever the new hotness is instead of being returned I'd think.

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009
Checked out fleet week in Vancouver, thanks to any and all of you who helped set it up. There was a giant line to get aboard the HMCS Vancouver, heard some of the crew talking about the crowd probably being a record size, I honestly wasn't expecting this many people either. Guessing it's a combo of people wanting a reason to go out with COVID being "over", plus people having the military on their minds more with the times being as they are.

M. Propagandalf
Aug 9, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I can't find a reputable source yet on this, but during last night's O group, our CO has it on strong authority that ex-LGen Cadieu's been captured by Russians.

https://twitter.com/Justin_Ling/status/1521596344351211521

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

M. Propagandalf posted:

I can't find a reputable source yet on this, but during last night's O group, our CO has it on strong authority that ex-LGen Cadieu's been captured by Russians.

https://twitter.com/Justin_Ling/status/1521596344351211521

Welcome to RUS propaganda.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Lol and LMAO

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

For those who don't want to click through a twitter thread, this apparently isn't the first time that the russkies have claimed they've captured western generals (they hadn't), and they've also clamed that Cadieu was in charge of a bioweapons lab.

Guess the accusations of sexual misconduct couldn't have been spun into more convincing propaganda.

VVV Edit: for clarity, I agree VVV

mom and dad fight a lot fucked around with this message at 16:29 on May 5, 2022

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

For those who don't want to click through a twitter thread, this apparently isn't the first time that the russkies have claimed they've captured western generals (they hadn't), and they've also clamed that Cadieu was in charge of a bioweapons lab.

Guess the accusations of sexual misconduct couldn't have been spun into more convincing propaganda.

They didn't capture at Bucha, otherwise they would've had a better story for him.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

Stocky Edwards died today. He turned 100 last year.

Stocky is a highly decorated WW2 ace from the western desert campaign. I first met him when I got my wings as an Air Cadet (I even got his book!). He's been a celebrity around the Comox Valley and CFB Comox for decades. We even invited him to our unit Christmas party last year (sadly, he wasn't feeling well enough to attend).

He's gonna be missed.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

I just finished my interview today, really hoping for Armoured Officer. Postin' to say hey what's up and share that my parents had a laugh about how this process is too slow we probably didn't get into Afghanistan until 2003.

I don't mind it really, but not having set dates is a mild inconvenience.

Relatedly the video on the forces site showcased a horrifically rusty Leopard 1 model, do we really still use those???

SRQ fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jun 1, 2022

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

SRQ posted:

I just finished my interview today, really hoping for Armoured Officer. Postin' to say hey what's up and share that my parents had a laugh about how this process is too slow we probably didn't get into Afghanistan until 2003.

Relatedly the video on the forces site showcased a horrifically rusty Leopard 1 model, do we really still use those???

not anymore but expect whatever equipment you use to be lovely anyways to blunt your disappointment.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

my morning jackass posted:

not anymore but expect whatever equipment you use to be lovely anyways to blunt your disappointment.

Is the Hi Powers being literal WW2 stock a myth or true?

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

SRQ posted:

Is the Hi Powers being literal WW2 stock a myth or true?

It’s true but honestly some I have used are in good shape. The mags are usually what cause them to have issues cause they are often in rough shape and cause stoppages.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

Those lee enfields had a good run

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

ive said it before and i'll say it again, i've never had a stoppage with those pistols.

fun fact, they were made by a washing machine company, inglis

SuperSix
Aug 22, 2012

SRQ posted:

Brave man, I can't imagine picking armour after the last couple months watching what has essentially been a showcase of the worlds ATGMs and anti-armour. Good thing is we're reasonably competent(?) at supporting ours.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

welp, i had a good run.

theres only 5.5 months left on my contract and i did my first force test.

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

The FORCE TEST is such horseshit.

You can't have a timed test and have one of the events literally stop you from going as fast as you can [sandbag WALK]. They literally tell you to learn speed walking to improve your time.

[I scored platinum on the test.]

Nofeed
Sep 14, 2008
They addressed that with the loaded March section of the COMBAT FORCE test: Set a finish-no-earlier-than timing, which results in a lot of milling about the finish line in your battle rattle before you can cross it at precisely the 50 minute mark.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

I guess if you slap medals and a white belt onto anything, it becomes parade dress.

Grab your dress hoodie and ballcap—we gotta look good for the CDS.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
That’s the rangers, isn’t it?

Nofeed
Sep 14, 2008

I guess if you slap medals and a white belt onto anything, it becomes parade dress.

Grab your dress hoodie and ballcap—we gotta look good for the CDS.

Don't forget to grab your (I'm sure, quite at hand) sword!

I unironically love that picture - working with the rangers has always been a treat

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

FrozenVent posted:

That’s the rangers, isn’t it?

Yeah, that's 4CRPG. I'm just picturing their mess kit being a scarlet red wifebeater.

Those new rifles look really nice, though.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Rangers are what we all wished we did in the CF -- hang out in the bush with guns and your homies, maybe do some hunting/fishing while you're there, and not take anything too seriously because soldiering is lame.

Working with Inuit rangers in the arctic was good times though. They caught us arctic char and shot ptarmigans for us to cook up in exchange for some of our more choice rats. Good dudes.

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

Those new rifles look really nice, though.

Do they ever.

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

Here we fuckin goooooo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Oh hey I had to reference that today.

Please don't make my job harder than it needs to be :negative: