Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

StashAugustine posted:

To be clear I mean she's not an actress she lives in the actual real life house that was used as a set for the show

Oh lol okay, interesting!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

insider
Feb 22, 2007

A secret room... always my favourite room in a house.
Anyone gone to the actual falls, lodge, diner etc they filmed Twin Peaks at?

I'm doing a two week road trip through the PNW in late September and thinking of checking them out. Worth it?

If I go to the diner and order a cup of coffee and say drat fine cup of coffee how hard will they roll their eyes haha?

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

insider posted:

I'm doing a two week road trip through the PNW in late September and thinking of checking them out. Worth it?

If I go to the diner and order a cup of coffee and say drat fine cup of coffee how hard will they roll their eyes haha?

You'd level up to the next conscious plane, no question. Gotta do it! May the road rise up to meet your wheels

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

insider posted:

I just did this a few months ago. The Double R (aka Tweed’s Cafe is about a ten minute drive from Snoqualmie Falls and there are a few iconic spots in between. All that’s about a half hour drive west of Seattle. The Great Northern inside locations, the beach where they found Laura and the Martell’s place are all at one location east of Seattle by about thirty minutes. That’s a wedding venue so you may wanna call ahead.

I say do it. I had a really great time driving around there. Forks, WA, the Twilight town, is a good spot to crash if you’re interested in the Hoh Rainforest, and some great beaches which I would recommend.

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010

Heavy Metal posted:

I do think that ending is showing the scary unknowable nature of things, and it's pretty intense. Existential terror. But still I do think it's somehow a more okay cliffhanger than the iconic season 2 one to leave off on.

But it sure would rule if we don't leave off there just yet.

It's more okay because it's exactly how Lynch chose to end the series when given 18 hours to do whatever he wanted. I think one of his goals with the ending was to restore the aura of mystery to Laura Palmer, to make up for being forced to reveal her killer back in the original series.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

If Lynch made another TP series, he would end it on an even weirder cliffhanger

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Data Graham posted:

If Lynch made another TP series, he would end it on an even weirder cliffhanger

A show about Dougie's neighbor and every week we're sure we're gonna see Dougie, Janey-E or Sonny Jim but we never actually do. Also the show is fantastic and everybody loves the new characters. In the end it turns out they're not even in Vegas.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

I found out that two of my friends have seen and enjoyed the first two series and have not seen The Return.

We watched Fire Walk With Me and the first 4 episodes yesterday and they are hooked. At that pace we're definitely going to hit episode 8 when we next get together and I'm so excited to live vicariously.

Their reaction to the first two episodes was "this is great but it's so dark" and then Dougie rolls in for episode 3

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace
I didn't see a thread for that new AMC show Dark Winds but it is giving me some Twin Peaks vibes and is great in its own way so far. Check it out if you have nothing else to watch.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah it’s a good show so far. Great to see Zahn McClarnon get the leading role he’s deserved for too long.

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

I occasionally got Twin Peaks / Dark from the new show Outer Range as well.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

I enjoyed this:
https://twitter.com/ScottWamplerBMD/status/1540365224276119552
The bit about how Trent met David for the first time is pretty good

bruckner
Sep 11, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70JynG3Rrrw

Dougie from Twin Peaks is Forrest Gump :)

insider
Feb 22, 2007

SyRauk posted:

I didn't see a thread for that new AMC show Dark Winds but it is giving me some Twin Peaks vibes and is great in its own way so far. Check it out if you have nothing else to watch.

It looks cool but I've been hurt so many times by getting on a crazy show early and only having it ripped away form me. Raised by Wolves most recently.

I only watched Outer Range because I thought it was a limited series but it will probably be cancelled too :(

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Kart Barfunkel posted:

I just did this a few months ago. The Double R (aka Tweed’s Cafe is about a ten minute drive from Snoqualmie Falls and there are a few iconic spots in between. All that’s about a half hour drive west of Seattle. The Great Northern inside locations, the beach where they found Laura and the Martell’s place are all at one location east of Seattle by about thirty minutes. That’s a wedding venue so you may wanna call ahead.

I say do it. I had a really great time driving around there. Forks, WA, the Twilight town, is a good spot to crash if you’re interested in the Hoh Rainforest, and some great beaches which I would recommend.

Small clarification, the cities used as sets for Twin Peaks are all east of Seattle. Olympic national part is west, and is great as the poster says (although there's like zero good restaurants in the entire Olympic peninsula imo), but unrelated to TP.

Forks is about 3 hours west of Snoqualmie, and is famous for being the setting of an series that in some ways, like number of letters in the title, almost equals Twin Peaks.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://twitter.com/BlackLCult/status/1540648152868560897

5 years ago, Evil Coop was shot and killed but then resurrected by a Roadhouse performance from The Nine Inch Nails (and a bunch of woodsmen)

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
That Trent interview ruled. Lynch’s instincts on who and how he collaborates with other artists/professionals is really inspiring.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

5 years later I still can't believe Episode 8 happened. Just the most insane and fantastic episode of television I have ever seen.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Jerusalem posted:

5 years later I still can't believe Episode 8 happened. Just the most insane and fantastic episode of television I have ever seen.

Watching it week to week, I hated the episode. Once all of the season dropped, and I could binge them as an 18 hour movie, I was mesmerized.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

There was a break after episode 8 and I was relieved to have it, because I felt like I needed a couple of weeks just to let it sink in some more before picking things back up. When I rewatched it as part of a full Twin Peaks rewatch, it was just as magical as before.

Anyway, here's David Lynch directing part of the episode!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=im07r-0IH_s

I love that he calls the lighting guy over and begins his instruction with,"I grew up in the 50s, in the desert...."

insider
Feb 22, 2007

Episode 8 was incredible and I loving loved watching it live with my wife. Our eyeballs were loving glued to the TV with the occasional 'what the gently caress' muttered multiple times during the entire thing.

The break after episode 8 was honestly a masterstroke. After that episode I had no loving idea what was going to happen (not like I knew anyway), but I knew I wanted more. After you go David Lynch you really can't go back. I'm always chasing that dragon of episode 8.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://losthighway.official.film/buy-tickets

Any of y'all going to see this 4K restoration of Lost Highway in theaters? I just got my ticket for Friday night.

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

i'm considering it but probably won't, LH isn't my favorite. I'm bummed I missed out on the IE screening

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Rageaholic posted:

https://losthighway.official.film/buy-tickets

Any of y'all going to see this 4K restoration of Lost Highway in theaters? I just got my ticket for Friday night.

Thanks for the heads up! I'm not familiar with the film, only know Lynch from Twin Peaks but definitely considering this given there's a few theaters within driving distance I could get to.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

DOPE FIEND KILLA G posted:

i'm considering it but probably won't, LH isn't my favorite. I'm bummed I missed out on the IE screening
The IE screening was awesome. That restoration practically made it look like a different movie. Definitely grab that if/when it comes to 4K Blu-Ray!

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem
I’m super bummed because this is playing near me, but it looks like a one night thing and I have commitments already. I’m the weirdo who ranks Lost Highway as probably my favorite Lynch film too.

That trailer is something lol.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

I’m the weirdo who ranks Lost Highway as probably my favorite Lynch film too.

that's loving crazy, man

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The last time I saw Lost Highway was...god, probably around the time The Return was airing? So it's been a handful of years for me. I don't remember liking it as much as Mulholland Drive for example, but I have been itching to rewatch it for a while. It's not out on 4K Blu-Ray (yet) and I don't even think you can rent it digitally. The Blu-Ray is a little under :10bux: on Amazon, so I probably should've just bought that. Oh well. Now I'll get to see it on a theater screen!

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
Not playing near me either :(

My personal favorite to least favorite*:

Eraserhead / FWWM tied for first
Lost Highway
Mulholland Drive
Blue Velvet
Wild at Heart
Straight Story
Inland Empire

*Excluding Dune and Elephant Man

IE is the only one I’ve seen once, and it was a long time ago, but I didn’t really enjoy it, despite loving the entire cast. Need to revisit and make sure my list is still on point.

One of the best thing about Lynch is that pretty much any order is valid. Don’t prove me wrong though.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Lost Highway and FWWM both get better every time I watch them.

MD has gone from "holy poo poo that was amazing" to "it's pretty good" and I'm not sure why.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Esco’s Ultimate Lynch Feature Film Ranking That Anyone Who Disagrees With Is Wrong

Mulholland Drive
Eraserhead
Blue Velvet
Inland Empire
Lost Highway
The Straight Story
Twin Peaks: FWWM
Wild at Heart
The Elephant Man
haven’t seen Dune but knowing myself there’s a less than zero percent chance it would be at the bottom here

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I'll fight anyone who ranks wild at heart lower than inland empire

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Hm thinking it’s time to do a Lynch marathon. One a day until I’m done and then maybe wrap it up with a full Twin Peaks rewatch. There are some of his I’m very shamefully either missing or haven’t seen in forever or watched on like my computer in the 00s in multiple sittings…

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Kilometers Davis posted:

Hm thinking it’s time to do a Lynch marathon. One a day until I’m done and then maybe wrap it up with a full Twin Peaks rewatch. There are some of his I’m very shamefully either missing or haven’t seen in forever or watched on like my computer in the 00s in multiple sittings…
:sickos:

I've only seen Wild at Heart once. I should really rewatch that.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

hawowanlawow posted:

I’ve seen it twice and I tried really hard to like it both times but something about it just does not vibe with me

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

Escobarbarian posted:

I’ve seen it twice and I tried really hard to like it both times but something about it just does not vibe with me

This is kind of how I feel. All the elements of things I love are there … and at the risk of being crass, lots of Laura Dern boobies … which I couldn’t be more into. But it’s never resonated with me like the rest of them have.

hawowanlawow posted:

But this is also correct

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Coincidentally, I literally just watched Lost Highway for the first time, then was browsing and saw this thread and the announcement about Lost Highway.

That's some movie. What kind of movie I'm not sure, but it's certainly something.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
When I saw Lost Highway as a youth I was like “haha cool weird movie!” because I was an arty kid who watched stuff like that. But now when I watch it it’s completely explicable, and probably Lynch’s most straightforward film (other than the straight story).

The soundtrack couldn’t be more dated (in the best way possible)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Rageaholic posted:

:sickos:

I've only seen Wild at Heart once. I should really rewatch that.

Oh God, Wild at Heart is incredible. Willem Dafoe is absolutely loving terrifying, it's amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Does anyone know where these are streaming? I think FWWM is on HBO, but that’s all I know of.