Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
apocalypse_laughing.gif

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.
where are ghost titty and salty shaker? i need more graphs!

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

FCKGW posted:

uh, the lakers don't own the building, they just play there

yeah the owners just put the naming rights up for sale and crypto.com put in the high bid

wonder if they have any payments left to make on it and how that's going

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

vortmax posted:

here i did a technical analysis

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

haveblue posted:

yeah the owners just put the naming rights up for sale and crypto.com put in the high bid

slight delay, but the block's in the chain!

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

haveblue posted:

Man poo poo the more you know. They're owned by a massive massive entertainment conglomerate - AEG

Which makes it funny the Lakers owners thought they could gently caress over some small time rube called "Steve Ballmer"

(His current level of wealth: bought the Clippers with cash for 2 billion)

Isentropy fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Jun 14, 2022

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/Bitfinexed/status/1536340410636771329

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

spankmeister posted:

The Bogdanov twins are damping eet in heaven 🥹

the price of bitcoin has halfed since the first boganov bro died. makes you think...

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

SubG posted:

here i did a technical analysis

not enough lines or rainbows but thanks for trying, it helps

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

FCKGW posted:

I forgot about this guy

http://buttcoin.club/

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

vortmax posted:

it's such a good picture

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
it's just so small

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

if you weren't making fun of bitcoin a decade ago i don't want to hear your dogshit opinions

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
has anyone said bloodcoin

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I'm still two pages back and barely survived the winklevoss band, but awful app turning this into wheel of fortune made me lose it all over again

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Shumagorath posted:

I'm still two pages back and barely survived the winklevoss band, but awful app turning this into wheel of fortune made me lose it all over again

It does it on the desktop site too. Its pretty nifty

Bluecobra
Sep 11, 2001

The Future's So Bright I Gotta Wear Shades

Shumagorath posted:

awful.app: be your own vanna white

Frequent Handies
Nov 26, 2006

:yum:

spankmeister posted:

might as well be talking about slurping apes or whatever, no clue what this all means

You're a HODLer. You have a BTC at 30k. Perhaps you're a prudent HODLer and decide in case this goes tits up, you should buy some insurance - you buy a put for 20k. Whoever sells you that put is agreeing to buy your coin at 20k. You pay some premium to the seller for this, because if it says flash crashes to 10k, they still have to buy it for 20k and they want to get paid for the risk. You can rest assured that worst case scenario, you're only out 10k, not 30.

In most cases the seller is a market maker, they don't care what the price does - they're going to hedge against this by shorting (selling) BTC. The moment they sell you the put they'll also sell some BTC against the possibility it does actually get down there, but since it's currently at 30k it won't be a lot to offset the probability.

But if the price drops to 25k, well, that dealer to make themselves neutral has to sell more BTC. And so on. This is an exponential process, as the price gets closer to the sold put price more and more BTC needs to be sold to maintain that neutrality. There's a lot being left out here, but that's the gist.

The OTC bit is over the counter - or deals that were made over the phone or whatever and probably isn't available on an order book to be seen but nonetheless will have an effect as price gets near the strike.

The problem here is the liquidity just doesn't exist for all of this open interest (existing insurance contracts) and can cause a waterfall effect as all of these dealers holding the other end try to sell to maintain a neutral book and kick off a cascade.

Boat Stuck
Apr 20, 2021

I tried to sneak through the canal, man! Can't make it, can't make it, the ship's stuck! Outta my way son! BOAT STUCK! BOAT STUCK!

spankmeister posted:

might as well be talking about slurping apes or whatever, no clue what this all means

this happens:

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
cryptobutts

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
buttcoin.fart

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

I AM BITCOIN INCARNATE

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

...! posted:

I AM BITCOIN INCARNATE

I'm sorry to hear that, is there anything we can do?

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

it's been a long time since I learned about financial calculus but I don't think that's what either delta or gamma mean

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

it's been a long time since I learned about financial calculus but I don't think that's what either delta or gamma mean

Hayes used to be a trader at Deutsche Bank, he's one of the few guys in crypto who has any loving idea what he's doing, and uh yeah he lost me too. obviously i need to check the white paper

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
number goin up
number goin down
number goin up
number goin down
number goin up
number goin down

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

divabot posted:

Hayes used to be a trader at Deutsche Bank
oh poo poo. a professional money launderer

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Zamujasa posted:

number goin up
number goin down
number goin up
number goin down
number goin up
number goin down

give us money laundry

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

divabot posted:

Hayes used to be a trader at Deutsche Bank, he's one of the few guys in crypto who has any loving idea what he's doing, and uh yeah he lost me too. obviously i need to check the white paper

on second look I think it's just written a bit confusingly. Gamma is the derivative of Delta so an increased gamma does mean that your delta (which is direct relation to price of underlier) is going to increase, and with an option your value will converge to the price of the asset because no poo poo buying an option to buy something priced at $10 right now is gonna cost $10.

SubG posted:

oh poo poo. a professional money launderer

irl lol

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

it was pages back with some Celsius tweet but I love the way that every time one of these coins implodes, they all start going on about "protecting the community" (usually after freezing/stealing everyone's money), as if there is any actual community here and not just the economic equivalent of rats in a sack

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Zamujasa posted:

number goin up
number goin down
number goin up
number goin down
number goin up
number goin down

also applicable to desert weather

(a few of my coworkers are at cisco live in vegas this week and their canadian bodies are falling apart in the 110 F heat, rip)

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

it was pages back with some Celsius tweet but I love the way that every time one of these coins implodes, they all start going on about "protecting the community" (usually after freezing/stealing everyone's money), as if there is any actual community here and not just the economic equivalent of rats in a sack
its also funny how their excuses are often even worse than the original problem, like Binance blocking withdrawals because a single transaction got stuck

"No, it only *looks* like I stole those dollar bills, in reality I actually blacked out huffing my own farts and when I awoke I'd shat myself and they were the only thing I could find to wipe up the mess, they're just in the toaster drying off after I cleaned them so you'll get them back in a couple hours honest"

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

i too remember when i couldn't withdraw money from my broker because an "intern" forgot to pay citibank for the transaction fee and held up everything for hundreds of thousands of clients. doesn't fiat have this problem too???

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

18% layoffs at Coinbase

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/06/14/coinbase-lays-off-18percent-as-execs-prepare-for-recession-crypto-winter.html

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

coin base is firing 18% of their employees, as I just found out through my feed of news for companies that might go bankrupt soon

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHALL SIPHON ALL VALUE FROM EVERY CURRENCY OF THIS WORLD

ALL SHALL HODL ME... AND DESPAIR

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

my name is ozymandao, coin of coins, look upon my balance sheet ye holders and despair!

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
"the fundamentals are sound", I whisper as fall asleep, surrounded by the last of my possessions, in my van down by the river

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

evilweasel posted:

coin base is firing 18% of their employees, as I just found out through my feed of news for companies that might go bankrupt soon

coinbase is firing 18% of their employees, as I just found out through my feed of the post above yours :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Statue of Matt Damon, half buried in the sands