Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Nuebot posted:

A friend convinced me to reinstall this so we could play some co-op and while I'm getting frustrated with the controls and a few changes, like what they've done to the galaxy map, the game is way cooler now. I do have a question though; is there still a save editor, or did they add in any kind of anti-cheat? Becuase I ain't doin' that expedition poo poo, and even if I wanted to couldn't because they vanish in the wind and they gatekeep some pretty cool rewards.

Save editor still going strong!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

There is no anti cheat so go ahead and save edit or use mods to get the expedition rewards. There’s been a guy killing people in the anomaly in permadeath mode for the past few weeks by glitching his modded mech into the anomaly. As far as I know he’s still at it. They don’t care about hacking or exploits. So be careful to turn off pvp at least if you’re going to enable multiplayer which should protect you but maybe not.

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

As an added note to that last comment, if you're playing on permadeath turn off multiplayer altogether as that person is able to kill people inside of the anomaly even with their PVP turned off.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Thanks! I'll be sure to peep in on that stuff when I reach it, then. I'm weirdly excited to reach actual content again, we fuddled around for a few hours mostly just doing baby base stuff in our starting system tonight. I'm not worried about PVP or anything, it's off and I'm playing on normal mode or whatever.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

tldr: Yeah procgen game thread complains about procgen because if anyone knows what procgen actually delivers in a game, it's people who've dumped a lot of time into a procgen game
An early disappointment for me was realizing that basically all structures in this procgen game were single-chamber prefab things with nothing interesting about them whatsoever.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

doctorfrog posted:

An early disappointment for me was realizing that basically all structures in this procgen game were single-chamber prefab things with nothing interesting about them whatsoever.

yea its gotten a bit better with stuff like those archive structures but this game could really do a lot more with buildings and some actual urban landscapes would be great. im not really a fan of how the settlements look because they seem just kind of stamped onto the landscape rather than organic settlements that interact with the geography in a way that makes sense

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Earwicker posted:

yea its gotten a bit better with stuff like those archive structures but this game could really do a lot more with buildings and some actual urban landscapes would be great. im not really a fan of how the settlements look because they seem just kind of stamped onto the landscape rather than organic settlements that interact with the geography in a way that makes sense

It's funny because Elite Dangerous released Odyssey last year and one of the new features was sprawling (ish) settlements to run around on foot in...and one of the things they "had" to do for that is make the planet procgen algorithm significantly more flat and boring to account for said settlements being plopped down at random.

I don't know if we'll ever see procgen in a place more meaningful than generating terrain, but at least for now all you really have is a question of "how big are the randomized tiles involved" (and honestly I think I'd prefer NMS style weird planet over trying to make the individual settlements slightly bigger while still being fairly meaningless in the larger scope of the game).

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I have come across some real cool looking procgen settlements in NMS, but they are not really that big. Well.... I've seen some really tall buildings, but I assume huge open horizontal settlements are not going to happen.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I wish the total prefab stuff meshed better with the partial structure stuff, which is to say I wish things snapped to the domes and cubes better. But there was a period where they weren’t even snapping to each other right. Which is why one of my bases features a dome turned on its side suspended in mid air.

I don’t think they fixed it actually they just made rotating axis a feature not a bug.

I have built some pretty sprawling structures but it’s all function rather than aesthetics.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

personally i think the way minecraft does procgen villages works a lot better than the nms version but even there it feels very limited. i feel like good procgen cities are probably a couple years away

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
minecraft villagers and villages really need a pass by now, pretty sure everything there is basically still the crap notch threw together on some random weekend back in the web applet days. but NMS still lacks compared to that, can't think of any times i really connected with a town to revisit it, outside of when i settle near one just to feel like i'm in a civilized area. even if they didn't expand the functionality, wouldn't kill them to take their existing town templates, splatter a dozen of them close together and make the illusion of a larger settlement.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

It will be very interesting to see how the procgen has advanced in whatever Hello Games' next game is (all we know is it's a big procgen thing and not a NMS sequel). Hopefully will have cities and rivers and deep oceans and the other things people have been asking for in NMS for years.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Earwicker posted:

personally i think the way minecraft does procgen villages works a lot better than the nms version but even there it feels very limited. i feel like good procgen cities are probably a couple years away

I mean it's sort of funny too because NMS's proper settlements and Minecraft's villages have polar opposite approaches to generation in terms of pure terrain; Minecraft just drapes it directly over whatever's underneath even if it means a "road" jumps down 50 blocks straight vertical into a cavern and back up again, and on the flip side my settlement looks like someone just stamped it flat into the ground too far, and the walls of the straight-vertical crater walls show off the interrupted cave system.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

So ran into a weird issue with this game: playing multiplayer with my friend, any time we accept Missions from the mission counter, our frame rates just poo poo themselves until we turn them in, then the game returns to normal. It doesn't seem to have been tied to anything we were doing because we went back outside and checked out all the planets and stuff we were on - specifically because one of them was a high sentinel planet that was just covered in gravitino orbs and we need credits bad to get better ships - and the frames didn't dip at all.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

CaptainSkinny posted:

As an added note to that last comment, if you're playing on permadeath turn off multiplayer altogether as that person is able to kill people inside of the anomaly even with their PVP turned off.

What the heck. How does that work, does it just not check the pvp setting when you're in the Anomaly or something?

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

Nullsmack posted:

What the heck. How does that work, does it just not check the pvp setting when you're in the Anomaly or something?

It could be players that simply thought they had PvP off and are misreporting it. However, the griefers are on PC, so there's a bunch of ways they could be messing with the game.

Also, if you're not on PC, turning off cross platform should keep you safe.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

It could be that, due to the fuckery already involved in having someone bring their... minotaur? suit to the Anomaly, the game itself doesn't see the damage as PvP damage. Like poo poo's already hosed up, and you're getting hurt at the Anomaly that the game could be all 'wh... what's going on? Huh?'

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Welp, looks like I'm done with NMS for the foreseeable future.

As of the last patch I no longer get a "play" option on steam, just a "resume download" option. When pressed it just flashes and gives a "disk write error". Other games on the same drive in the same steam library location work fine. I tried installing it on a different drive and then transferring it to the SSD. It worked for an evening, then I got "cannot locate executable" the next day. Which then gave the "disk write error" when I tried to verify integrity of game files.

Floppychop fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jun 15, 2022

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

I'm on the space station right now with my buddy in expedition mode, and we were both in our menus looking at the expedition page when he suddenly "died of high-speed ground impact."

Everybody turn off your multiplayer.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Floppychop posted:

Welp, looks like I'm done with NMS for the foreseeable future.

As of the last patch I no longer get a "play" option on steam, just a "resume download" option. When pressed it just flashes and gives a "disk write error". Other games on the same drive in the same steam library location work fine. I tried installing it on a different drive and then transferring it to the SSD. It worked for an evening, then I got "cannot locate executable" the next day. Which then gave the "disk write error" when I tried to verify integrity of game files.

Check your antivirus. I had this exact issue with several random games and it turned out Avast was seeing the game executables as viruses and quarantining them, once I restored them out of quarantine everything went back to normal

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Trying to find anchor point 4 and that really sucks with the vertical walls you can’t tunnel through, annoying!

Wish you could use the the directional scanner in the ship!

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

That's why I typically keep a flying creature on hand that I can ride. Super useful when you're trying to scan for a marker. Plus when it's those vertical cliffs they zoom right up the side of them.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I found out even the basic nomad will climb those like a champ!

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
I think there's still a bug/feature where jetpacking up a sufficiently-vertical-slope will still give you infinite jetpack fuel, too

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Oh, btw, I believe they've finally fixed the ship trade exploit; my wife, after successfully doing it previously, no longer could after the most recent update.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Gadzuko posted:

Check your antivirus. I had this exact issue with several random games and it turned out Avast was seeing the game executables as viruses and quarantining them, once I restored them out of quarantine everything went back to normal

That fixed it. I've used Avast for years and it's never done that to me before.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

I think there's still a bug/feature where jetpacking up a sufficiently-vertical-slope will still give you infinite jetpack fuel, too

I'm like 90% sure that's intentional, since that only happens on slopes steep enough to pop up the "Press A to climb!" hint.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I got this game at launch. I reinstalled last week and found a save file from 2017. I started up another. Currently on the hunt for Artimis again. The game feels familiar, but different. I've seen two or so videos of people explaining how to get Apolo-rich, but I'm just doing space game at space speed.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

CaptainSkinny posted:

It could be players that simply thought they had PvP off and are misreporting it. However, the griefers are on PC, so there's a bunch of ways they could be messing with the game.

Also, if you're not on PC, turning off cross platform should keep you safe.

I'm pretty sure the game is classifying it as a physics interaction and not the result of other player activity, so it thinks it's like you jumped off a cliff or got hit by a monster or something.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I got the final loop completed except for the optional "help Polo investigate loop 5" one which I think is you just keep doing the somnal dust/memories/liquid sun until you 100% that bar, right? Anything worth getting once you do that?

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Last night I got to Nada and Polo's new orbhome. They really improved the place since launch. I decided I could try a jolly cooperation, so when the words for coop showed up on my screen I joined the daily mission. It was was collecting alien eggs from swarms who rather you don't. The microphones went live, one lady who sounded like she was using a lore appropriate static filter to only make every 5th word audible, and then the other guy who talked and lastly the guy who didn't talk. I announced this was my first multiplayer experience.

Took like 6 minutes all said and done, but I was with people. An impossible dream 8 years ago. After liftoff me and other guy who talked went to the station. It was the old style station, infested, abandoned, decripit. Guy said he didn't like this station, I responded it was spooky then it hit me: This was the station layout from launch. I told my companion and left to Nada and Polo's then manually pressed the buttons to leave group to let that man explore a spooky mystery.

This is a beautiful space game.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I sincerely wish there was more danger to the derelict freighter missions, because when I thought there WAS, organizing my group of the 4 of us through one was quite possibly my favourite gaming experience. "ok, Rayne, you take up the back, keep an eye out, making sure nothing is missed or comes up behind us. I'll head out ahead. Aubrey, you watch my back and Ryan can backup Rayne."

Seriously, it was like a perfect scenario of "this is creepy as poo poo, but I'm a-ok, because I've got teammates."

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

KirbyKhan posted:

Last night I got to Nada and Polo's new orbhome. They really improved the place since launch. I decided I could try a jolly cooperation, so when the words for coop showed up on my screen I joined the daily mission. It was was collecting alien eggs from swarms who rather you don't. The microphones went live, one lady who sounded like she was using a lore appropriate static filter to only make every 5th word audible, and then the other guy who talked and lastly the guy who didn't talk. I announced this was my first multiplayer experience.

Took like 6 minutes all said and done, but I was with people. An impossible dream 8 years ago. After liftoff me and other guy who talked went to the station. It was the old style station, infested, abandoned, decripit. Guy said he didn't like this station, I responded it was spooky then it hit me: This was the station layout from launch. I told my companion and left to Nada and Polo's then manually pressed the buttons to leave group to let that man explore a spooky mystery.

This is a beautiful space game.

This is cool, glad to hear it worked like this. I usually put the multiplayer missions on and then get in my ship and go do the whole thing alone, although sometimes people join in as I'm doing them which is nice.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I sincerely wish there was more danger to the derelict freighter missions, because when I thought there WAS, organizing my group of the 4 of us through one was quite possibly my favourite gaming experience. "ok, Rayne, you take up the back, keep an eye out, making sure nothing is missed or comes up behind us. I'll head out ahead. Aubrey, you watch my back and Ryan can backup Rayne."

Seriously, it was like a perfect scenario of "this is creepy as poo poo, but I'm a-ok, because I've got teammates."

The freighters are definitely sooooo close to being something good. And I've had fun on them for sure. But a lot of it is me roleplaying the danger. I've only experienced one, maybe two that were dangerous and both times it was environment related and re-configuring my exosuit to overkill on cold resistance made hitting one of those unlikely.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Rick posted:

The freighters are definitely sooooo close to being something good. And I've had fun on them for sure. But a lot of it is me roleplaying the danger. I've only experienced one, maybe two that were dangerous and both times it was environment related and re-configuring my exosuit to overkill on cold resistance made hitting one of those unlikely.

I just wish that the stomping sound wasn't the pulsating poo poo with the bugs and was ACTUALLY something huge stomping around trying to find you.

It's a perfect stomp sound, not so perfect pulsate sound.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Rick posted:

I have two cold protection modules, and I only ever got down below 10% of my actual environmental protection while I was dealing with the swarms of gribble puppies from three pods exploding at once.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

So are there any good tips on finding exactly the ship/freighter you want? I'm very particular. It kills me a little every time I find the exact freighter model I want to get, but then it's crewed by a bunch of little gremlins I hate.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Not really, but the freighter will always be staffed by whatever species owns the star system it originally appears in.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Nuebot posted:

So are there any good tips on finding exactly the ship/freighter you want? I'm very particular. It kills me a little every time I find the exact freighter model I want to get, but then it's crewed by a bunch of little gremlins I hate.

you can search for a good one on the coordinates exchange subreddit https://www.reddit.com/r/NMSCoordinateExchange/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Ghostlight posted:

Not really, but the freighter will always be staffed by whatever species owns the star system it originally appears in.

Yeah that's what I figured, the struggle is getting the model I like to show up in a Korvax system because robot people are cool.

marktheando posted:

you can search for a good one on the coordinates exchange subreddit https://www.reddit.com/r/NMSCoordinateExchange/

Awesome, thanks! I really need to unlock portals. Do I still have to progress main plot for that?