Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6DzG8rPdjE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

The comment section knocks it out of the park again. I assume they're mostly not astroturfed, but any comments that don't play along get deleted.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make
Hmm... So it appears that A-Train really did betray Supersonic, if this article claiming to gave interviewed Kripke is any indication (talks about it near the bottom):

https://www.google.com/amp/s/tvline.com/2022/06/12/the-boys-season-3-episode-4-recap-hughie-powers/amp/

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Jun 14, 2022

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The Boys sometimes hides information from the viewer, and sometimes characters make assumptions that turn out to be wrong, but I don't think its ever told us something only to later turn around and say 'lol no actually we tricked you'. The writing just isn't like that.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Alchenar posted:

The Boys sometimes hides information from the viewer, and sometimes characters make assumptions that turn out to be wrong, but I don't think its ever told us something only to later turn around and say 'lol no actually we tricked you'. The writing just isn't like that.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

Within the context of the episode, though, that was clearly a fantasy scene--or at least was revealed as one immediately. Marketing may have used it in a misleading context, but the episode itself didn't.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Several characters lied to Homelander about his son, so characters lying to each other about things isn't out of step with the way the show does things.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

GunnerJ posted:

Several characters lied to Homelander about his son, so characters lying to each other about things isn't out of step with the way the show does things.

I think it's more the point that the show has never lied to us, the audience, about what's happened, for any significant length of time.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Jun 14, 2022

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Homelander was talking to Starlight about A-Train telling him about her plans, though, not the audience. And it took several episodes before Homelander found out the truth about his son.

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

I think people are overthinking it. When Homelander told Starlight that A-Train had told him about the plot, it was simply to tell her (and the audience) how he found out, and that's it. It's not even really a betrayal as far as Starlight is concerned, because she already doesn't trust A-Train, so would assume that it's what he would do, so there's no revelation in her finding out the source. The only significance, I think, is that it's clearly going to lead to a confrontation between them.

The more curious thing to me, as said previously, is that A-Train telling Homelander undermines the redemption arc the show seems to have been trying to gently ease A-Train down. It is possible, perhaps likely now, that the scenes featuring only A-Train and his brother weren't an attempt to humanise him but rather to show that in spite of being exposed to things where he could do good, his natural instinct - to be Michael Jordan - means being in the Seven and in Homelander's good graces are all that matters to him.

I think it's a bit of a shame because I felt that there was something in A-Train having a redemptive arc, but putting him explicitly at odds with Starlight limits the amount of pathos the audience can really have for him. I think the show is more interesting with some of the supes being shades of grey. I would count Maeve in this, but for whatever reason (actress scheduling?) she seems almost completely incidental to the story.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

GunnerJ posted:

Homelander was talking to Starlight about A-Train telling him about her plans, though, not the audience. And it took several episodes before Homelander found out the truth about his son.

People are talking about the text on the meta level, in terms of audience positioning, and not on the literal level of who is talking to whom.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

surf rock posted:

So, I know that Neumann is a mass murderer, but on the other hand, the bagel scenes were very cute and made me like her more than half of our protagonists

We saw her blow the up the heads of a bunch of politicians and sycophants, so is it really murder since they're not really people?

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Fionordequester posted:

Hmm... So it appears that A-Train really did betray Supersonic, if this article claiming to gave interviewed Kripke is any indication (talks about it near the bottom):

https://www.google.com/amp/s/tvline.com/2022/06/12/the-boys-season-3-episode-4-recap-hughie-powers/amp/

I see absolutely no reason why Homelander would have lied about this. Plus it really fits A-Train's character.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Open Source Idiom posted:

People are talking about the text on the meta level, in terms of audience positioning, and not on the literal level of who is talking to whom.

Okay, but one could very easily have done the same thing back in S1 when that Vought scientist told Homelander his son died. We could've just taken that as a "meta level" message to the audience, but it turned out it was a lie one character told another, and the truth was only revealed several episodes later.

There's nothing out of line with how the show has operated so far in the idea that A-Train didn't tell Homelander anything and Homelander was just lying to another character. (I don't think that's what actually happened though, it's honestly more plausible that A-Train told, but...)

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

Durzel posted:

I think people are overthinking it. When Homelander told Starlight that A-Train had told him about the plot, it was simply to tell her (and the audience) how he found out, and that's it. It's not even really a betrayal as far as Starlight is concerned, because she already doesn't trust A-Train, so would assume that it's what he would do, so there's no revelation in her finding out the source. The only significance, I think, is that it's clearly going to lead to a confrontation between them.

The more curious thing to me, as said previously, is that A-Train telling Homelander undermines the redemption arc the show seems to have been trying to gently ease A-Train down. It is possible, perhaps likely now, that the scenes featuring only A-Train and his brother weren't an attempt to humanise him but rather to show that in spite of being exposed to things where he could do good, his natural instinct - to be Michael Jordan - means being in the Seven and in Homelander's good graces are all that matters to him.

I think it's a bit of a shame because I felt that there was something in A-Train having a redemptive arc, but putting him explicitly at odds with Starlight limits the amount of pathos the audience can really have for him. I think the show is more interesting with some of the supes being shades of grey. I would count Maeve in this, but for whatever reason (actress scheduling?) she seems almost completely incidental to the story.

I don't think A-Train is on a redemption Arc. Quite the contrary, the show keeps giving him opportunities to not be an rear end in a top hat, but he always passes so he can shove his nose deeper in Homelander's butt. The guy is addicted to fame and just wants the spotlight. Even the few times he did good actions, they were self-serving.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

I love that hanggg bite he does

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

GimpInBlack posted:

Within the context of the episode, though, that was clearly a fantasy scene--or at least was revealed as one immediately. Marketing may have used it in a misleading context, but the episode itself didn't.

lol yea, i'm just being a contrarian dick.

i could go either way, but we'll probably find out pretty quick next ep.

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

Negging works on your bros too! That fat rear end was never going to betray Homelander.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Twigand Berries posted:

Negging works on your bros too! That fat rear end was never going to betray Homelander.

Yummers

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Dalael posted:

I don't think A-Train is on a redemption Arc. Quite the contrary, the show keeps giving him opportunities to not be an rear end in a top hat, but he always passes so he can shove his nose deeper in Homelander's butt. The guy is addicted to fame and just wants the spotlight. Even the few times he did good actions, they were self-serving.

I think what they're doing with A-Train is showing what happens to someone like him when his 15 minutes is over and his increasingly desperate and pathetic attempts to try to make it all like it was.

We had this with the Deep, too, but he's actually managed to succeed in getting his spot back. A-Train's hanging on by his fingernails and I don't think his arc is going to be anywhere near as 'pretty'.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I think what they're doing with A-Train is showing what happens to someone like him when his 15 minutes is over and his increasingly desperate and pathetic attempts to try to make it all like it was.

We had this with the Deep, too, but he's actually managed to succeed in getting his spot back. A-Train's hanging on by his fingernails and I don't think his arc is going to be anywhere near as 'pretty'.

My pet theory is that he's going to wind up in another position like in season one; homelander'll tell him to take care of Hughie and Starlight while he's busy, and despite the two trying to talk him down he's going to do the rear end in a top hat thing and his heart will go off. Only this time they're not going to stop to help him, because he's run out of chances. And A-Train will probably get the lamest death of anyone in the series.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Dalael posted:

I see absolutely no reason why Homelander would have lied about this. Plus it really fits A-Train's character.

The interviewer is pretty unambiguous that it was true, but it made sense to me that HL would lie.

He can't just slaughter all of the conspirators and faking a betrayal (which his powers make it very easy to do) isolates/terrorizes Starlight, confirms Maeve's suspicions that her allies are useless, and heaps more scorn on A-Train from the people who weren't calling him a useless, fat gently caress.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Dalael posted:

It's simply this. People are way overthinking that one line

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

A-Trains arc has been being given opportunities to redeem himself and make a positive difference and veering away from them as hard as possible to suck up to power and preserve his career instead. They basically spell it out for you with the Michael Jordan comment

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Now that we finally solved that indecipherable puzzle, can we start thinking about if Hughie actually took the V or not? They show him seeming to be high off of it and to be getting superpowers, but doesn't Hughie hate superheroes? Seems hard to believe he'd take the drug after they spent all this time making him not like superheroes, but now he is one. Got me wondering if that whole scene was just another homelander lie

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Homelander was lying, he knows Supersonic was actually killed by a jealous Hughie who teleported back and forth from Russia when everyone was looking at Kimiko

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Dalael posted:

To be supermachiavellian and sow distrust between the ursupers?

To have Starlight blast A-Train through a couple of walls in a fit of rage (showing her clenching her fist behind her back indicates to me she will snap at one point), only to tell her "Haha, A-Train didn't rat you out, I listened in on those suckers and killed your boi Supersonic. Let's see how your favouribility rating is looking now after it becomes public knowledge you killed A-Train, an african-american hero in the Seven. Murderer. You're not better than me."

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.
I don't think Homelander has mommy issues at all, I think it's just a misdirect and we're going to find out he has a critical vitamin D deficiency--that's why he drinks all that milk all the time.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

mcbexx posted:

To be supermachiavellian and sow distrust between the ursupers?

To have Starlight blast A-Train through a couple of walls in a fit of rage (showing her clenching her fist behind her back indicates to me she will snap at one point), only to tell her "Haha, A-Train didn't rat you out, I listened in on those suckers and killed your boi Supersonic. Let's see how your favouribility rating is looking now after it becomes public knowledge you killed A-Train, an african-american hero in the Seven. Murderer. You're not better than me."

okay now read what you wrote, imagine it in the show, and see why that's dumb

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Homelander's hearing can't reach into an elevator that's 150 feet away and 10 floors down

What the gently caress is wrong with you people?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

No Dignity posted:

A-Trains arc has been being given opportunities to redeem himself and make a positive difference and veering away from them as hard as possible to suck up to power and preserve his career instead. They basically spell it out for you with the Michael Jordan comment

It's the Walter White treatment. They have to present offramps often to emphasize that he's not being forced by circumstance into anything and is actively choosing this.

2nd level spells
Apr 3, 2022
edit: speculation based on comic spoiler

now that Hughie has taken V and A-Train is shown to be irredeemable I think Hughie will beat him to death like in the comic.

2nd level spells fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jun 14, 2022

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
It'd be kinda funny if he tries to run through Hughie expecting him to explode and Hughie being on V is too tough so he just dashes himself into mist on Hughie, the inverse of what he did to his girlfriend and it'd probably not be massively satisfying for Hughie either so quite on brand for the show.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

thebardyspoon posted:

It'd be kinda funny if he tries to run through Hughie expecting him to explode and Hughie being on V is too tough so he just dashes himself into mist on Hughie, the inverse of what he did to his girlfriend and it'd probably not be massively satisfying for Hughie either so quite on brand for the show.

Hughie is standing infront of a big wall, A-train tries to run through him but he teleports and A-train slams into the wall leaving a big a-train shaped splatter

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

thebardyspoon posted:

It might be more on brand for Hughie to telefrag him while trying to hug him in forgiveness on live TV.

Have we considered that the "supe gun" which subdued Soldier Boy might have been Jamie?

Avasculous fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jun 14, 2022

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 33 hours!)

PostNouveau posted:

It's the Walter White treatment. They have to present offramps often to emphasize that he's not being forced by circumstance into anything and is actively choosing this.

I don't think it's anywhere close to Walter White levels of bad choice road. A-trains choice with the homelander thing isn't the same - his life is at huge risk either way, making superpowered enemies on either side. He chose (apparently) the side that is as far as he knows, impossible to defeat. Of course he always has the choice of just quitting entirely and living a quiet life, but that's true for every character - and with homelander around, still might get him killed anyway for no reason.

I think the a-train stuff is just to show that he's not a complete piece of poo poo like homelander, or unmitigatingly stupid like the deep - he's kind of an average, semi-bogus person who has been given a taste of something nobody ever gets, and whatever scruples he has aren't enough to stop him from choosing the thing that means he can keep getting that taste. This is what most people would be like, I think.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Homelander spends half an episode trying to kill Hughie who’s desperately teleporting away each time.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

2nd level spells posted:

now that Hughie has taken V and A-Train is shown to be irredeemable I think Hughie will beat him to death like in the comic.

You should tag your things as comic spoilers

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

Hughie is standing infront of a big wall, A-train tries to run through him but he teleports and A-train slams into the wall leaving a big a-train shaped splatter

Hughie has just painted a big tunnel on the wall

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Watching a ton of interviews this season and Antony’s accent is so pronounced, I just about spit out my coffee hearing him say “extension” lol I would just LOVE to know how he arrived at Homelander