Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Shammypants posted:

It's not like it doesn't matter. A lot of Japanese game developers are just rear end about providing improvements to game appearance and smoothness after release. Meanwhile Guerilla Games is pixel peeping to give us more clarity on Aloys butt zits. Bloodborne seems like such a no-brainer 'make it look and run smoother' game but I guess not. Elden Ring could use improvements too for that matter, but same poo poo different day.

maybe they should spend less time on rear end zit rendering and more on making a good game!!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care
Dark Souls 3 is terrible

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Is Metro Exodus worth playing or should I skip it?

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
Are there any good couch co-op games on the new ps plus? I’ll probably try the highest tier for a few months.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Kirios posted:

I liked it a lot, the first hour or so before it goes open world are kinda boring but once you get small-sized maps to explore its really fun.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.
Bloodborne is just flat out one of the 2-3 best gaming experiences I’ve ever had and I’m not sure anything From can do to get to that height again. And this is someone that’s on his 7th playthrough if Elden ring.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Twibbit posted:

There is an actual difference between ps4 and ps5 ps1 classics. File size. I guess they ran compression on the ps5 versions

SF, a 1 disc cd game on the ps1 is somehow nearly a gig on ps4 and 5. how, i ask you.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Senator Drinksalot posted:

Dark Souls 3 is terrible

No it’s epic and beautiful and holds me in its spindly arms and kisses my cheek while I sleep. I spent the whole playthrough just in awe of how majestic and sprawling every part of it is

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I got stuck in ds3 fighting a big fire demon with a dude who looked like a dude from ds1

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Vikar Jerome posted:

SF, a 1 disc cd game on the ps1 is somehow nearly a gig on ps4 and 5. how, i ask you.

Aren't data CD images a relatively consistent size or is that not a thing

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Aren't data CD images a relatively consistent size or is that not a thing

it should be 500mb.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Shammypants posted:

It's not like it doesn't matter. A lot of Japanese game developers are just rear end about providing improvements to game appearance and smoothness after release. Meanwhile Guerilla Games is pixel peeping to give us more clarity on Aloys butt zits. Bloodborne seems like such a no-brainer 'make it look and run smoother' game but I guess not. Elden Ring could use improvements too for that matter, but same poo poo different day.
Bloodborne needs to run smoother but it doesn't need better graphics beyond a higher resolution maybe. Not every game should be a hyper-realistic photographic experience. In fact I can't wait until we all get bored of hyper-realism and stop considering that a spectrum on which to judge games against each other. I don't care if a character has fully rendered realistic peach fuzz or the reflection in their eye is physically accurate or whatever. That doesn't help me enjoy a game. If anything that stuff only serves to homogenize the visual style of all games towards the singular goal of photorealism, which is quite frankly a boring place to end up. Imagine an Ocarina of Time where you stand in Hyrule Field and you can't tell if you're looking at God of War or Assassin's Creed or looking at a photo of a field, because all you see is hyper-realistic grass and sky. It's not even a particularly impressive technical feat these days; it takes more effort to make something look unique and interesting than it does to make it look real.

Dark Souls' cardboard trees, blocky rock walls, and boxy architecture do so much more to service the aesthetic of that particular game than any photorealistic renderer ever could. I love the Demon's Souls remake but it definitely lost something in its transition to modern-looking graphics - and I don't think it's just Bluepoint's fault either. Even if Miyazaki had come in an personally overseen a modern-looking remake, the push towards realism is by definition a push away from the characteristic unreal look it had before. The ongoing loss of abstractness (the demonization of it, even) is a huge loss for the visual design of games. It's the death of imagination.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i'm playing final fantasy 7 again and i think my brain broke because i want to see another attempt by a major RPG to see if they can emulate the expressive mannerisms of 16-bit sprites with low-poly models, except slightly less rear end looking

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Kirios posted:

There are a couple of game-breaking bugs still present that the devs refuse to fix. For example, if you get stuck trying to climb into a cave in a desert area, the official solution is to restart the chapter and hope it doesn't happen again. Hope you don't like spending hours exploring the area before this point because you lose all of it.

I ran into this last year and haven't picked it up since, and regret buying it.

It was fun before that, though.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Metro Exodus is a good game but my advice is don't get bogged down scouring the open-world maps for every little thing unless you really enjoy that kind of thing. It's the kind of game where it benefits from tight pacing (and the more linear levels sustain that well) but you can also spend 3 hours just wandering around the huge maps collecting trash and it can be easy to burn out.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Metro exodus is....... a good game!!!! And worth playing!!!!! Hug and kiss ur wife!!!!!!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I got stuck in ds3 fighting a big fire demon with a dude who looked like a dude from ds1

You need to run to the back of the arena and get the specific weapon you need to defeat the boss. Yeah, it’s one of those. Worst boss in the game imo

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i like hanging out on the train and smoking newspaper cigs with my buds

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Volte posted:

Metro Exodus is a good game but my advice is don't get bogged down scouring the open-world maps for every little thing unless you really enjoy that kind of thing. It's the kind of game where it benefits from tight pacing (and the more linear levels sustain that well) but you can also spend 3 hours just wandering around the huge maps collecting trash and it can be easy to burn out.
The game has a hidden morality slider and it encourages you to explore to find hidden items or people and make non-story related choices that impact the slider, and change the good or bad options and endings. Just to keep that in mind.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Metro Exodus is a very good video game

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Crows Turn Off posted:

The game has a hidden morality slider and it encourages you to explore to find hidden items or people and make non-story related choices that impact the slider, and change the good or bad options and endings. Just to keep that in mind.

also like the other metro games the "bad" ending is arguably as satisfying as the "good" one

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Did some more investigating. There is probably still work that will be done, because the PC app still lists a ton of games that are mis-tagged as "PS3" titles and aren't actually streamable currently. Whether that's enabling streaming or removing the titles from being visible in the PC app is still to be determined.

https://pastebin.com/bhVAPRjw

Here's the most complete list I could put together with everything that's available, including which games aren't streamable, although this might not be comprehensive so it's entirely possible I missed some games that aren't streamable.

ReVerve
Jul 13, 2001

Select and make your first pick.

Biscuit Hider
My FROM rankings

Sekiro (
Bloodborne (I'll finish it if it ever runs well)
Demons Souls (Where I started with the series on PS3 way back when)
Dark Souls
Elden Ring
Dark Souls 2 (played a lot of co-op with a friend or it would be last)
Dark Souls 3 (stopped part way though, just more of the same)

For the souls genre as a whole I like Team Ninja's stuff much more. I lean more towards the action/combat aspects of the genre and am less interested in exploration, lore, setting or whatever. Give me a pile of mechanics and some sick moves at 60+ fps.

So I would put the following above the FROM list.

Nioh 2
SOP
Nioh 1

Curious to see what Wo Long, Black Myth Wukong, and Steelrising will be like. Will Wo Long and Black Myth Wukong even be soulslikes or their own actions thing like Sekiro.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Team Ninja can't overcome From until they cut out the bad loot

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

ReVerve posted:

Curious to see what Wo Long, Black Myth Wukong, and Steelrising will be like. Will Wo Long and Black Myth Wukong even be soulslikes or their own actions thing like Sekiro.

Hell yeah, :respek:

I'm the same, Nioh 2 is my favorite of them all. The loot is good, the action is superb, the multiplayer and customization is top-tier.

Super excited for Wo Long, I hope it's effectively Nioh 3 in China.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Kirios posted:

Yes yes yes yes.

I played it and the DLC last year. Surprisingly moving and heartfelt with really good characters that you genuinely care about.

That is the way to sucker me into any game in the world - give me real characters and I am there.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

ReVerve posted:

Bloodborne (I'll finish it if it ever runs well)

it does run well! get back into the action, hunter.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Feels Villeneuve posted:

maybe they should spend less time on rear end zit rendering and more on making a good game!!!!!

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
If I was playing Bloodborne and thought it looked bad I would get my eyes checked and probably replaced before I stopped playing

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

If I was playing Bloodborne and thought it looked bad I would get my eyes checked and probably replaced before I stopped playing

It was probably the ugliest of the games to me, the color palette is like 90% grey, black, brown to the point where you have to murder the color orange because it drives you to madness.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Unbelievable anyone would say the loot in Nioh and SoP is 'good'

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Unbelievable anyone would say the loot in Nioh and SoP is 'good'

Let me try "its good that you can completely ignore the loot in Nioh and SoP and just frantically mash "equip best" whenever you remember"

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Kirios posted:

Absolutely play it.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Barudak posted:

Let me try "its good that you can completely ignore the loot in Nioh and SoP and just frantically mash "equip best" whenever you remember"

Hopefully they completely rip it out for their Three Kingdoms game

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Hopefully they completely rip it out for their Three Kingdoms game

Its one of those systems where it not existing would do nothing but improve my experience, so yes, heres hoping

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Barudak posted:

it'd be better if each piece of equipment was given care and placed in a way that made collecting it special and worthwhile, rather than having literally dozens of chaff pieces to discard after every mission so your inventory doesn't become too full

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

It's an utterly pointless extra step, it's not like there's specific builds you can do to justify spending 20 minutes in the menu after every level deleting piles and piles of garbage

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The only point in Stranger of Paradise where gear choices matter is so deep into the post game that you're basically rooting around in the designers office looking for content scraps. A system that exists for content 99% of your playerbase will never see (you can get the full platinum loooong before this point) is bad.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Bring back Onimusha goddammit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

It's an utterly pointless extra step, it's not like there's specific builds you can do to justify spending 20 minutes in the menu after every level deleting piles and piles of garbage

I laughed when I played the demo for SoP because I knew the only reason I'd push through it to buy and play another one of these games is because it's Final Fantasy and has a wild story. the next ones are out of the question