Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Sentinel posted:

BS im starting to think youre the reincarnated William Tecumsah Sherman.

we should be so lucky

hail sherman snype

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
General Woody’s March to the Sea

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

bulletsponge13 posted:

If they do nothing

It's this.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Regarding cryptocurrency’s latest collapse,

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

bulletsponge13 posted:

So I had a thought about the Jan 6 hearings-
If they do something, it's going to cause a giant gaping rift and probable violence. It will gently caress us up.

If they do nothing, it fucks us over. There is no fixing the system. The President is in effect a dictator.

About that...

https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1536519227338903554?s=20&t=7OnZRKJkwCoSgzFiG8fTMw

It's all just theatre. At least if they weren't going to take it seriously they could have scheduled it closer to the midterm elections to help them out but no they can't even do that right.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

https://twitter.com/wyatt_privilege/status/1536338094357729281?cxt=HHwWgsC-kezWldIqAAAA

Uh, one second folks, I'm being told that is, in fact, the point at which you panic :derp::kingsley::derp:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

That Works posted:

About that...

https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1536519227338903554?s=20&t=7OnZRKJkwCoSgzFiG8fTMw

It's all just theatre. At least if they weren't going to take it seriously they could have scheduled it closer to the midterm elections to help them out but no they can't even do that right.

Read the article. He didn’t say those words. He said the same thing everyone else said.

They don’t make charging decisions. That’s the authority he mentioned. They’re going to present their final report to the DoJ and they will make charging decisions.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Mexico city suffers a freak snow/hailstorm in the summer

https://twitter.com/vialhermes/status/1536162640606683136?s=20&t=T3nmey7J97RQNj8l1Y__OQ

Maybe we'll start doing something about the environmental collapse we're pressing the gas pedal on? Senate (brought to you by Chevron!) say no? Oh dang.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

maffew buildings posted:

All y'all bitching about housing but Brands and the Free Market have you covered

https://twitter.com/killianwoods/status/1535984262075371522?t=1V_GhFyXi4b75S_GZy8WVQ&s=19

CYBERPUNK 202X

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Mr. Nice! posted:

Read the article. He didn’t say those words. He said the same thing everyone else said.

They don’t make charging decisions. That’s the authority he mentioned. They’re going to present their final report to the DoJ and they will make charging decisions.

And the DOJ has been working on J6 apart from these hearings.

quote:

The chair of the House committee investigating the Capitol riot said Monday night that the panel will not make any criminal referrals, even though its leaders have previously hinted at the possibility of doing so.

So again, other than theatre, what is the reason for doing these big public hearings if the chair states they won't make a criminal referral and the DOJ is already investigating separate from congress?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
It’s just theater. That’s it. They’re going to fundraise off of it.

In real news, Montana is underwater and the entirety of Yellowstone is closed.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

That Works posted:

So again, other than theatre, what is the reason for doing these big public hearings if the chair states they won't make a criminal referral and the DOJ is already investigating separate from congress?
20 million people tuning in to watch POV video of fascists trying to destroy our country?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

That Works posted:

Theatre matters here, because while there’s a core of die hard red hats, there’s a bunch of people on the edge who’ll join the next riot if they’re convinced the election was stolen or whatever.

Calling out these people in public matters.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

stealie72 posted:

20 million people tuning in to watch POV video of fascists trying to destroy our country?

We already all did that on J6.

FrozenVent posted:

Theatre matters here, because while there’s a core of die hard red hats, there’s a bunch of people on the edge who’ll join the next riot if they’re convinced the election was stolen or whatever.

Calling out these people in public matters.

I'm just having a hard time seeing the point is all. The election's already failed like what >50 legal challenges, many in Trump-appointed courts? That's the message. Seems like dragging this out where its all going to be done along partisan lines (Cheney is already an outcast, can't see that she counts as a GOP point of view now) is only going to just entrench people on whatever side they want to believe not actually sway anyone.

I don't have a point beyond that so we don't really need to go back and forth on it, just feels like a useless spectacle to me.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

fknlo posted:

It’s just theater. That’s it. They’re going to fundraise off of it.

In real news, Montana is underwater and the entirety of Yellowstone is closed.

What about Hope County?

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

That Works posted:

a useless spectacle to me.
This is pretty much USPol at this point.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

That Works posted:

I personally know some trump voters who have flipped because of this. It isn't the bulk of them, but this poo poo is impacting some people.

Also, he didn't say they wouldn't make criminal referrals. That's bad journalism. They kept pressing him on "are you going to charge trump" and he said it wasn't in their authority to charge people, because it isn't. That's being stretched to say "they won't make criminal referrals" when the answer to that question from everyone on the committee has been "we're not done and will follow the procedure for doing that if we make the determination that it is proper."

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Woah, woah, woah, you're telling me the Democrats are actually trying to persuade a specific audience of something by setting out facts and establishing a coherent narrative?? I don't think that's how politics is supposed to work. Have they tried staking out a position that the public is either unfamiliar with or skeptical of and angrily yelling that everyone else needs to meet them where they are? I've always seen that approach work so well in the past.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Anecdotal, but all of the Trump supporters I see are digging in further since the 2020 election. They view the J6 hearings as an extension of the 'Partisan Witchhunt Bullshit Impeachment'.

We have 30% of the population completely removed from reality, and the only 'facts' come from IL Douché.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Staging an attack on congress is a monumental act - while anyone with 2 neurons already has a pretty good idea what went down, thats actually an exceedingly small portion of the American public. The Republicans that enabled this have to be forced to wear the hair shirt. It is theater, but all politics are to one degree or another. This isn't the type of thing that can be glossed over - if only for the sake of our institutions recognizing it as a threat and making necessary adjustments.

People on this forum have talked about how they feel our nation is on the brink of collapse. This is DC acknowledging that. Whether it will have any effect is unknown, but doing nothing isnt really an option.

Grip it and rip it fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Jun 14, 2022

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Acknowledgement is not action.
Theater is not triage.
Nothing will come from this, and in history books, the election of Trump will be viewed as the final gasp of the American Experiment.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Concluding all of this with the consequence for our members of government who participated in a coup attempt being they live with what they've done would be very, very bad but also incredibly on brand for our current party controlling the government

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

bulletsponge13 posted:

We have 30% of the population completely removed from reality

tbh it really is just history repeating, humans kinda don't learn anything

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

bulletsponge13 posted:

We have 30% of the population completely removed from reality, and the only 'facts' come from IL Douché.
This is the real problem, which is the results of a generations-long, deliberate disinfo campaign because liberals were mean to Nixon. And is the root cause of

bulletsponge13 posted:

the election of Trump will be viewed as the final gasp of the American Experiment.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

This would be a good first step if it was done Jan 7th and wasn’t a last step over a year late

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
There's a douche in Illinois that has all the facts?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Maybe we'll start doing something about the environmental collapse we're pressing the gas pedal on? Senate (brought to you by Chevron!) say no? Oh dang.

Stepping on the gas is what we're doing. We just need to hurry this up to get to the other side! Then we'll be fine!

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
the Jan 6 hearings are True Crime episodes for people who still think we're going to shock the conscience of Republican voters

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
They're just stalling for time until Sorkin can get those rewrites done for the conclusion of the trial don't worry :)

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

What's crazy to me is we have GOP leadership basically outright saying that the only problem with 6 Jan was they supported Trump and not the GOP. They are out right saying they plan on basically creating a one party dictatorship as soon as possible.

And it doesn't matter.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

I’m continuously baffled what the long term strategy of the Dems are. The GOP had clearly laid out a pathway to minority rules and executed steps to achieve it and the mainstream Dems just kinda shrug and talk about bipartisanship

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

long term strategy of the Dems
I say this with any and all due respect.

LOL.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

I’m continuously baffled what the long term strategy of the Dems are. The GOP had clearly laid out a pathway to minority rules and executed steps to achieve it and the mainstream Dems just kinda shrug and talk about bipartisanship

The long term strategy is "Be the underdog and get more money for fundraising"

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Dems don't have along term strategy because of the big tent thing. Any attempt at a long term plan gets pulled in 14 directions, at least 3 of which have a requirement of not upsetting the GOP.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
This is really a pivotal moment for the United States. The Democrats who control the legislature stand athwart two paths and they must choose one. Now is not the time for dithering or half measures. Only decisive, courageous, and swift action can avert further destruction. Today's Dems need to look to the leading lights of their past for the strength to do what must be done.

I speak, of course, of Ted Kennedy. They must pardon the conspirators in the name of national unity.

Poe's law disclaimer: sarcasm

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

RFC2324 posted:

Dems don't have along term strategy because of the big tent thing. Any attempt at a long term plan gets pulled in 14 directions, at least 3 of which have a requirement of not upsetting the GOP.

Yeah seconding that. That's more or less how you get 60 Democratic Senators in 2008, but only ~45 would agree with the statement of "we should codify Roe vs. Wade into federal law". The push to win both Georgia slots by advertising "we will do so much" morphed into "WE WILL DO EVERYTHING IF WE WIN AND IT WILL BE SO AWESOME" which got stomped out by the Manchins and the Fundraisers.

Biden's not really lying when he says that there are currently 50 presidents right now.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

I’m continuously baffled what the long term strategy of the Dems are.

They care about fundraising. That's it. It's easier if they aren't in control and/or the other party is doing things that rile up people that will donate. They don't actually care about governing or anything even close to it.

The political right won. It's really that simple.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

fknlo posted:

The political right won. It's really that simple.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

A group of Proud Boys harassed a bunch of people gathered at a public library in San Lorenzo, CA for a Drag Queen Story Hour. This follows the Patriot Front Couer d'Alene incident, and another one in Dallas, Texas where a bunch of self-described Christian Fascists went after a family-friendly Pride event calling attendees "groomers," among other things. In the latter case, local antifascists defended the event from the chuds, and after police arrived and separated them, one of the fascists was overheard saying something to the effect of "shoot them in the head, that's what the badge is for" in reference to the LGBTQ people in attendance.

There is a through-line from Q-Anon and its fixation on a global cabal of pedophiles to the right's new obsession with trans kids and "don't say gay" bills to violent homophobia, and it's now a plank of the Republican Party. There is some dark and evil poo poo coming down the pike when these people regain the legislature in November, which in all likelihood they will.

Consider this me tapping the thread title

code:
Everything Sucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

pantslesswithwolves posted:

A group of Proud Boys harassed a bunch of people gathered at a public library in San Lorenzo, CA for a Drag Queen Story Hour. This follows the Patriot Front Couer d'Alene incident, and another one in Dallas, Texas where a bunch of self-described Christian Fascists went after a family-friendly Pride event calling attendees "groomers," among other things. In the latter case, local antifascists defended the event from the chuds, and after police arrived and separated them, one of the fascists was overheard saying something to the effect of "shoot them in the head, that's what the badge is for" in reference to the LGBTQ people in attendance.

There is a through-line from Q-Anon and its fixation on a global cabal of pedophiles to the right's new obsession with trans kids and "don't say gay" bills to violent homophobia, and it's now a plank of the Republican Party. There is some dark and evil poo poo coming down the pike when these people regain the legislature in November, which in all likelihood they will.

Consider this me tapping the thread title

code:
Everything Sucks

try to support the parasol patrol, if you can