Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i'm not sure how much, really. like maybe some of the levels could be tweaked a bit but even then the level design aged relatively well because they went for relatively "realistic" layouts, particularly in the more office-y sections of the game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Feldegast42 posted:

Doesn't look bad but if we are ranting at the video game industry -- I'm really getting tired and confused with all the same name remakes and reboots. I'm sure using confusing naming for everything is probably a marketing ploy to prevent people from buying the cheaper older games that are getting remade but jesus

I for one am looking forward in a couple years to having Madden NFL 25 (2013) and Madden NFL 25 (2024)

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
any time i'm tempted to start up FF14 or something really stupid like "well ESO is free on xbonx" i just remember "you'd have to play that game for at least two weeks before you even start to have fun" and i'm like :sweatdrop:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

precision posted:

any time i'm tempted to start up FF14 or something really stupid like "well ESO is free on xbonx" i just remember "you'd have to play that game for at least two weeks before you even start to have fun" and i'm like :sweatdrop:

Game Of th e Year

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I think FFXIV is a better game overall than ESO but I will say that you can have fun pretty much right away in ESO

I haven't played ESO in a long while but when I played a couple years ago I just jumped straight into the Morrowind expansion and it had a pretty fun single-player story that I could just dive into immediately. The game level scales everything except endgame raids so you can just do whichever expansion or story you want right from level 1.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Also some people really do click with FFXIV right off the bat, if you're interested you might as well try out the free trial. FFXIV players can be pretty overzealous about warning people that the game is at its weakest at the start and while that's true, I imagine the attempt to set expectations has put off as many people as it's helped

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

it seems like you're in the mood for an MMOass MMO if you're debating between two so as long as you're ready to jump right in I think FF14 is a great pick. go do the free trial

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I'm having fun with FF14 and I haven't even killed a single mob yet

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I have been playing ESO now and then over the last few months. I quite like it. It strangely runs better than any other bethesda game which must mean a different team made it, but it still looks like Skyrim so it is confusing. I am a cool orc in it :)

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Harrow posted:

Also some people really do click with FFXIV right off the bat, if you're interested you might as well try out the free trial. FFXIV players can be pretty overzealous about warning people that the game is at its weakest at the start and while that's true, I imagine the attempt to set expectations has put off as many people as it's helped

Yeah, ARR isn't really as bad as people will warn you, especially with the significant work that's been done to streamline the experience.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

VideoGames posted:

I have been playing ESO now and then over the last few months. I quite like it. It strangely runs better than any other bethesda game which must mean a different team made it, but it still looks like Skyrim so it is confusing. I am a cool orc in it :)

Yeah, it is made by Zenimax Online Studios

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Infinitum posted:

Seriously look how good System Shock is looking.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDAppJ8HuIM

Updated aesthetic that's still similar to the original, and looking scary as hell.

Holy moly. Holy. Moly.

Wow.

Yes. I am yes.

Also I think I saw a pipe dream minigame and I love pipe dream and buy all the pipe dream clones on steam because I love pipe dream.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I played a Dunmer in ESO because if you put me in an Elder Scrolls game I'm rolling a Dunmer every time

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Harrow posted:

It's very much a personal experience, yeah. I was hooked within the first few hours because the writing did something that's vanishingly rare in fantasy (acknowledging that the treaties the kobolds signed with Limsa Lominsa had been violated), and it gave me an inkling that it was going to be a different experience from the usually vaporous narrative I'd gotten used to in MMOs.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Harrow posted:

I played a Dunmer in ESO because if you put me in an Elder Scrolls game I'm rolling a Dunmer every time

Is there an Elder Scrolls Drizzt

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

Dunmer >>>>>>>>>>>> Drow, drow are dorks

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

ARR is pretty standard errand-boy RPG plotting and if you're alright with that it's not bad barring a few plot beats, though it also really helps if you're an MMO baby and everything is novel for you.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I always play a Breton because of the magicka resistance

You can hit 100% in Oblivion permanently pretty easily with it

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

I can't think of a single Elder Scrolls character that isn't from Morrowind, it isn't really that kind of setting

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Harrow posted:

Dunmer >>>>>>>>>>>> Drow, drow are dorks

Forgotten Realms Drow maybe but they're not the only setting with Drow. Pathfinder Drow are from space and got stuck underground when a giant meteor that turns you into god if you touch it came crashing down from space (because of a bunch of aboleths) while the rest of the elves took a dimensional portal back to their planet. The giant meter impact awoke the evil god of destruction imprisoned at the heart of the planet whose divine influence reached out and mixed with the elves sense of betrayal and anger and then made the Drow evil.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

I wouldn't want to scare people off from trying out FF14, but it is completely fair to warn people that ARR is still bloated with the number of main scenario quests. Like, 160 quests to beat the 2.0 story, and then another 80 for the 2.1-2.5 content. I started playing after they had excised a lot of quests, but even then I felt like there were too many "talk to person A, then walk over to person B five feet away, then deliver chocobo nuggies to person A" quests still. But it was worth powering through, and i still enjoyed doing dungeons and all of the other content during that time.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

Also going back to arcade talk, I always thought Time Crisis 3 was the best. It had cool stages and bosses, and let you swap between 4 guns. But apparently TC3 isn't as beloved as 2 is, since it's a much harder game, and I can't disagree with that criticism. I guess I never noticed because while I did play it in arcades, I also owned the console version with big ol' Guncons and you don't have to worry about wasting quarters at home.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

The Resident Evil remakes are all pretty good even if they cut some stuff from 3 (it didn't really bother me because I played the remake before the original) I'm looking forward to 4

Help Im Alive posted:

I think I will try this for the first time tomorrow but even though I've beaten the game a lot of times I feel like I only know it on a very casual level so it'll probably take me forever

I've been messing around with oot randomiser the last couple days and it is p fun - I did a seed on the default beginner settings with a map tracker and then another with the standard weekly settings/no map tracker. The first few hours are really interesting but it seems like you get to a point where you have most of the stuff and you can just kind of do the rest of the game like normal, it's cool having to think about the game in a different way than I'm used to though (like in the one I finished today I started off by doing Dodongo's Cavern as adult Link which I didn't realise was a thing/also I didn't get the Kokiri Sword until like halfway through the game which was my own fault but it was fun trying to get by with deku sticks) I guess I can see how people get into racing them especially if they know all the weird tricks

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Feels Villeneuve posted:

i think the "best" way to remake is FF7R where the remake detaches from the original game's plot, which itself is used as a plot point but that's not a trick you can use too often without severely diminishing returns

It's cool when remakes do interesting stuff with the game's story/gameplay based on being a remake, yeah.

Examples:

Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey remake where it's still just Strange Journey but it is also a sequel to itself since a time traveler from the future of whatever endings you could get in the original Strange Journey will show up to try and stop you because the future they were born in really loving sucks and you can take that information and achieve a new and brighter ending.

Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes ok this one isn't really a spoiler since it's just a fan theory but I like the fan theory that Twin Snakes is a Hollywood adaptation of Nastasha Romanenko's book about the events of Metal Gear Solid 1.

A friend told me that one of the Neptunia games is a remake but the remake knows it is a remake and references this a bunch, but idk enough to say which game it was.

Of course you have your games like the Resident Evil remakes or Blaster Master Zero where they're completely new games with new story/gameplay elements while still following the general outline and skeleton of the original game.

Donkey Kong 1994's whole thing was just "hey here's a gameboy version of the arcade classic, Donkey Kong" and then you clear those levels and DK just leaves the arcade levels and you have to chase him down in a ton of new content based around the original arcade game's style.

Romancing SaGa: Minstrel Song is another game coming out this year and it's a remaster of the original PS2 game which itself was a complete from the ground up remake of the snes game Romancing SaGa.

Unfortunately there are times when this is done poorly too, like all of the attempts at a new Star Fox game that ended up being worse remakes of Star Fox 64, or Siren: Blood Curse changing a bunch of the story elements from the original and getting some negative criticism for it.

Does FF14's realm reborn stuff count as a drastic remake of FF14?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

Forgotten Realms Drow maybe but they're not the only setting with Drow. Pathfinder Drow are from space and got stuck underground when a giant meteor that turns you into god if you touch it came crashing down from space (because of a bunch of aboleths) while the rest of the elves took a dimensional portal back to their planet. The giant meter impact awoke the evil god of destruction imprisoned at the heart of the planet whose divine influence reached out and mixed with the elves sense of betrayal and anger and then made the Drow evil.

Yeah okay that owns

In the custom setting my group has been running games in, "drow" is just the elvish term for "outcast" and refers to individuals or populations of elves who don't conform to the extremely tradition-bound elven society. "Regular" elves live in very isolated tribes and are so attuned to nature that they develop physical features to match the environments where they live. Elvish doesn't have a written form because there's such a strong oral tradition that the long-lived elves keep alive and they prefer memory to writing things down. Meanwhile drow are elves who've broken away and live among other races in cities and no longer have the nature powers.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

VideoGames posted:

Did you do the little lost cat quest yet, idk how far into the game that is

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

There was a plan for a Banjo-Kazooie remake where as the game went on, things would start being different and the characters would realize it was a remake.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

Harrow posted:

Yeah okay that owns

In the custom setting my group has been running games in, "drow" is just the elvish term for "outcast" and refers to individuals or populations of elves who don't conform to the extremely tradition-bound elven society. "Regular" elves live in very isolated tribes and are so attuned to nature that they develop physical features to match the environments where they live. Elvish doesn't have a written form because there's such a strong oral tradition that the long-lived elves keep alive and they prefer memory to writing things down. Meanwhile drow are elves who've broken away and live among other races in cities and no longer have the nature powers.

I like these drow too

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

FirstAidKite posted:

Did you do the little lost cat quest yet, idk how far into the game that is

I have not found that. To be honest it is not really helpful about what is 'first'. My game has a trillion places to do massive quests so I am doing the orc one. I did a heist and stole a ship which was pretty neat :)

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Ty the Tasmanian Tiger reminds me of Brain from Inspector Gadget

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

https://twitter.com/dohertymark/status/1536732733128724481

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

FirstAidKite posted:

Does FF14's realm reborn stuff count as a drastic remake of FF14?

It arguably counts, 1.0 and how it ended are pretty core to the story. Especially in 2.0, but its events echo throughout the entire MSQ.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

Feldegast42 posted:

It arguably counts, 1.0 and how it ended are pretty core to the story. Especially in 2.0, but its events echo throughout the entire MSQ.

See: Louisoix Leveilleur

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
FF14:

Ok so first impressions! Firstly I should say I'm playing in very short bursts because a) I don't want to get sucked in so much I stop playing other games and b) my laptop is old and I'm wary of it overheating. So so far I have made a very lovely catgirl and decided to become an archer so I got sent to the lush forests of Gridania which look fricking gorgeous compared to all the 2008 graphics I'm used to. About 10 seconds into the game I saw a moogle and immediately felt like I was playing a Final Fantasy. I've since spent about 3 hours running around the city seeing everything and doing all the little oddjob quests and getting a feel for the world. I really dig how much they play up the destruction of the original FF14, that must have been so neat for the poor souls who suffered through it. I finally just now ventured out the walls and killed some mobs and now I'm level 5 and about to hunt targets to shoot in the city for the Archer's Guild. I'm very excited to get out and start exploring places - I checked out the world map and it feels incredibly huge (not sure if this covers just ARR, ARR+HS or the whole lot).

A couple of criticisms/observations:

- The only thing I've seen so far that I'd change is that your starting city is way too big. You're immediately flung in this giant place with loads of NPCs, many of whom are there for systems you're way off from interacting with and it's very overwhelming. Even as an experienced MMO player it's a lot to process. I think the way WoW set you off in a stripped down starting area would have been better

- The UI also feels really messy with a lot of information overload. Item mouseovers especially suffer from this but even when I went out to meet my first mobs they were just covered in text and icons so I could barely see the creatures I was shooting at

- Not really a criticism but it turns out the combination of MMO mechanics from WoW filtered through an FF overlay is kinda loving with my brain. My brain starts processing info in FF terms but then it takes a while for me to relate it to what that means in WoW terms

Waffleman_ posted:

There was a plan for a Banjo-Kazooie remake where as the game went on, things would start being different and the characters would realize it was a remake.

Oh man this would have been awesome :(

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

ARR is a straight up sequel surely? Just with some reused ideas.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Rarity posted:

- The only thing I've seen so far that I'd change is that your starting city is way too big. You're immediately flung in this giant place with loads of NPCs, many of whom are there for systems you're way off from interacting with and it's very overwhelming. Even as an experienced MMO player it's a lot to process. I think the way WoW set you off in a stripped down starting area would have been better

- The UI also feels really messy with a lot of information overload. Item mouseovers especially suffer from this but even when I went out to meet my first mobs they were just covered in text and icons so I could barely see the creatures I was shooting at

This poo poo is why it took me about 3-4 separate attempts to get into FF14 before it clicked. I barely made it out of the starting city each time before that, the number of pop-ups with irrelevant information, quest markers and NPCs with ludicrous names that you'll never see again is so, so bad.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Rarity posted:

I checked out the world map and it feels incredibly huge (not sure if this covers just ARR, ARR+HS or the whole lot).

If you're looking at a map of two continents with a big bunch of clouds in the middle, that's almost everything.

stev posted:

ARR is a straight up sequel surely? Just with some reused ideas.

Well, 1.0 didn't really have like too much of a story to begin with. The early parts of ARR definitely more directly follow from it, but it's honestly more of a soft reboot than anything.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Waffleman_ posted:

That would have been aces

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

stev posted:

This poo poo is why it took me about 3-4 separate attempts to get into FF14 before it clicked. I barely made it out of the starting city each time before that, the number of pop-ups with irrelevant information, quest markers and NPCs with ludicrous names that you'll never see again is so, so bad.

This is kinda funny because FFXIV loves to reuse minor NPCs for new content that's like, years of difference between them. Even if it's just for minor roles or have a chat with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Broke: Look at the hairs on Joel's beard
Woke: Look at the hairs on this disgusting plague rat