Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Serephina posted:

Sorry I'm not gonna sit through an hour-long video.

My point wasn't that Rome isn't strong or has unique strats, but rather that sitting down spoiler-free for your first game it might be too subtle of a civ. Free roads are strong, but not if you're shuffling units in a very deliberate way. Free monuments are amazing, but are invisible. Why are trade stations good again? An unspoilered player is more likely to preserve&improve resources than know to gear towards a chop-spree at a particular point.

It's hard to gently caress up Rome, but a new player might feel lost; comparatively, Germany and Korea very forcibly hit you over the head with what you're supposed to be doing. "This thing right here, see it? Use it. Win."

I don't think the messaging in Germany and Korea is as strong as you think it is for people who don't know the basics, and if we're talking about people so unfamiliar with such games that they're feeling lost in eras where Rome gets its benefits, civs with even later benefits aren't an improvement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
I think new players should just play the game with pretty much any of the civs. As they pick up fundamental game mechanics they can choose civs that emphasize those mechanics they enjoy or are interested in.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

Serephina posted:

Sorry I'm not gonna sit through an hour-long video.

My point wasn't that Rome isn't strong or has unique strats, but rather that sitting down spoiler-free for your first game it might be too subtle of a civ. Free roads are strong, but not if you're shuffling units in a very deliberate way. Free monuments are amazing, but are invisible. Why are trade stations good again? An unspoilered player is more likely to preserve&improve resources than know to gear towards a chop-spree at a particular point.

It's hard to gently caress up Rome, but a new player might feel lost; comparatively, Germany and Korea very forcibly hit you over the head with what you're supposed to be doing. "This thing right here, see it? Use it. Win."

Oh yeah I should have been more specific I guess he talks about why he's choosing Rome just for a couple minutes at the beginning

Trade stations are good because they make traders better and traders are super strong and people should be building a ton of them

I agree Germany is a good one too, I'm not a huge fan of Korea for someone learning just because their district rules are so different but they're certainly strong

I mean if it's literally your first game it doesn't really matter either way there's so much new information that a lot of this kind of stuff is gonna be sort of besides the point and they should just pick whoever they want imo

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

I think new players should just play the game with pretty much any of the civs. As they pick up fundamental game mechanics they can choose civs that emphasize those mechanics they enjoy or are interested in.

Oh whoops yeah you said what I was gonna say already, this

PhantomZero
Sep 7, 2007
Good beginner picks should have their unique unit or building come early, but most importantly just understand its okay not to finish a game and to play civilizations that sound fun to play.

My top 3 are:
Montezuma
Gandhi
Gilgamesh

Their unique units help against barbarians and aggressive neighbors in the early parts of the game.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Yeah Gilgamesh is a good one and Aztecs are extremely strong with the flat military bonus for the whole game from luxuries plus you can do interactions with serfdom/ancestral hall to pump out insane cities as soon as they are built by speed building districts

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

It's not always true of course, but this has been a pretty good rule of thumb for me with tabletop games too: people will put in the effort to learn even very complex games if the theme gets them excited.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

This has been a pretty interesting conversation to me. Gilgamesh is kinda weird 'cause you can snowball so early and fast with him, but if we want to operate under the rule of "a good beginner civ has a clear path to victory," once you're in the middle ages, he's pretty rudderless. Montezuma on the other hand is good throughout the game with the combat bonus, which dovetails nicely with "get amenities or your cities will be poo poo." I do think Montezuma would be a great starter civ for a beginner.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

And plan to quit a few games early on and restart.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Chronojam posted:

And plan to quit a few games early on and restart.

Yes. Any game that can be picked up on a first go and mastered is a pretty shallow game.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

GodFish posted:

I've got some Deity wins and I still don't understand trade stations

Traders only have a range of 15-30 tiles to begin with (I think some techs improve this) and can only reach cities within this radius. If a city in this range has a trading post, it can reset this counter and your trader can also reach any city within 15-30 tiles of that city, and if one of those cities also has a trading post, your trader gets to move another 15-30 tiles from that city, et cetera, et cetera.

It's one of those mechanisms that are actually really simple, but the game makes it confusing as hell either on purpose to make the game appear more complex than it actually is, or by accident because nobody bothered to present the information in a reasonable place.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Thanks!

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Hey guys, got the anthology edition of Civ VI after not having played Civ in like half a decade lol I've already done two playthroughs at Prince. Only thing I haven't liked so far were the World Congress (feels exceedingly gamey having people from an unknown continent participate in a vote halfway through the middle ages lol) and that the Hall of Fame has this neat UI showing who you've won with but it displays leaders instead of civs.

Any suggested QoL mods?

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

most of these are good: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2470646711

i also like hiller hills and the civ v terrain mods. also the one that removes canals from city centers unless it actually needs it.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

My suggestions always include at least the Civ V terrain and +1 movement to everything, plus any ui changes as desired.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Azran posted:

Hey guys, got the anthology edition of Civ VI after not having played Civ in like half a decade lol I've already done two playthroughs at Prince. Only thing I haven't liked so far were the World Congress (feels exceedingly gamey having people from an unknown continent participate in a vote halfway through the middle ages lol) and that the Hall of Fame has this neat UI showing who you've won with but it displays leaders instead of civs.

Any suggested QoL mods?

Detailed Map tacks and Extended Policy Cards are mandatory, imo. Makes planning your districts way better and helps you actually figure out which policy card is worth putting in place

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

My mod suggestion is:

One of the many opaque features of the game is not knowing exactly how new policies will affect your yields. This fixes that.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I'm pretty sure Extended Policy Cards was known for breaking a few things (soft hangs? I can't recall), so be careful with what you roll.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Serephina posted:

I'm pretty sure Extended Policy Cards was known for breaking a few things (soft hangs? I can't recall), so be careful with what you roll.

Please forgive my ignorance, what's a "soft hang?" I've had a couple playthroughs with the mod and haven't noticed any issues with anything.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Serephina posted:

On linux it breaks the whole social policies screen, it wont even open

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

so if you are a normal person you'll be fine :smugdog:

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Ah yea that'll be it, I'm on linux.

Was it this thread or the civ5 one where some guy kept coming in with relentless problems, and it turned out he had like 50 mods running at all times? Problems resolved themselves after he toggled them off, so just be aware is what I'm saying.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Japan is another decent starter civ, since it will make you immediately start thinking about district placement & planning, which is a very important part of the game. They're not a bad civ overall, and get their unique unit at a time when barbs/aggro civs are likely to be a problem plus their unique building is one that you should be putting almost everywhere anyways.

Also on release Electronic Factories would stack with each other, which was very broken but also funny. I had a couple games where my civ was packed as tight as sardines for ungodly area bonuses.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Serephina posted:

Ah yea that'll be it, I'm on linux.

Was it this thread or the civ5 one where some guy kept coming in with relentless problems, and it turned out he had like 50 mods running at all times? Problems resolved themselves after he toggled them off, so just be aware is what I'm saying.

civ 5 probably, civ 6 is very robust concerning large mod lists

I'm running 102 mods at the moment

SirTagz
Feb 25, 2014

From the OP:

quote:

The multi-player experience as strategy game is good. The network code is generally well-built, allowing long stable games without lag, drop-outs or interruption, and there are no game-breaking bugs or serious balance issues. The main issue at the moment is the delay between Windows and Mac patches, causing hotseat games to come to a standstill while Mac users await their version of the patch.

My own experience trying to play Civ 6 about 5 and then again 3 years ago does not match this. We got pretty constant de-syncs before mid-game and had to abandon the playthoughs. Haven't tried it since because Civ 5 never got stable for us and we kind of lost faith in 6 as well. Have there been actual netcode improvements to the game? I am surprised to see that the game is described as MP friendly.

Do people playing MP over network take any special steps to make the game more stable?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I think 6 has decently functioning multiplayer these days. For example PotatoMcWhiskey recently uploaded a video from a few hours long stream where he did a 1v11 game online. But I haven't tried it myself. Of course, they never fixed multiplayer in 5, still a broken and incompetent mess.

Also hotseat is when two or more people are playing on the same computer so the patches being later for mac has no affect on that type of multiplayer whatsoever. :colbert:

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

SirTagz posted:

From the OP:

My own experience trying to play Civ 6 about 5 and then again 3 years ago does not match this. We got pretty constant de-syncs before mid-game and had to abandon the playthoughs. Haven't tried it since because Civ 5 never got stable for us and we kind of lost faith in 6 as well. Have there been actual netcode improvements to the game? I am surprised to see that the game is described as MP friendly.

Do people playing MP over network take any special steps to make the game more stable?

The OP is horribly out of date because I haven't played civ 6 in years (still playing 5 though! :pwn:)

I will update the OP with this info and anything else that thread regulars would like to see in it.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
In my experience, civ 6 multiplayer is pretty hosed up. Our games would frequently end prematurely due to constant desnycing or outright crashing. Generally we found that if a game did crash, reloading an earlier save would not fix the problem - it would crash again. And if a player started desyncing (and slowly loading in every single turn making the game tedious) then similarly, reloading the game did not solve that problem.

Fortunately, it seems that if the game gets to ~medieval/renaissance era or so without those problems, it would continue to be problem-free from there on. I think the reason for this is because the problems seem to be related to rendering the map - that's why reloading doesn't fix it, it's the same map, and once every part of the land is explored by someone, even an AI, then the risk seems to greatly diminish. Not sure why this happens in multiplayer but not single player.

The only crash we were ever able to figure out the direct cause of was that it would crash if there were too many tiles of forest fire; I made a custom map based on Middle-Earth and it kept crashing whenever MIrkwood caught on fire, and then we figured out that was happening on other maps too.

Also, lmao at the idea of Civ 6 having "no serious balance issues."

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

yeah that seems to be the case watching streamers: lots of trouble in the beginning but then fine

also no pins. pins destroy sync

SirTagz
Feb 25, 2014

Aw, crap.. I was so hopeful again already.

Anyways we started a new playthrough.. Fingers crossed.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
It’s interesting to pick up this game a week ago, experience game breaking bugs, Google them to find that they’ve been there for years and the only fix is to download a mod for future games.

SirTagz
Feb 25, 2014

Dr. Clockwork posted:

It’s interesting to pick up this game a week ago, experience game breaking bugs, Google them to find that they’ve been there for years and the only fix is to download a mod for future games.

Huh.. there are gamebreaking bugs that can be modded out? Is there a recommended list of these?

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
The main one is part of the dramatic ages mode, which I have never actually tried myself

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!

Marmaduke! posted:

The main one is part of the dramatic ages mode, which I have never actually tried myself

It’s this one. Culture Industry golden age policy card for some reason turns your district production times to 999+ when you change governments after having it slotted.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
What causes that bug, anyway? If you modded in another policy that gives +x% to non-specialty district production, would the bug affect that too? The policy that affects encampments and harbors isn't affected, so giving bonuses to individual districts seems fine? Is it coded as a bonus to non-specialty districts, or a bonus to aqueducts, dams, spaceports, and canals? If the former, would changing it to the latter fix it? Or is it related to the card being a golden age policy? But Sky and Stars gives a bonus to Aerodromes and Spaceports, and isn't affected to my knowledge.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
I actually really like the Dramatic Ages mode, it gives way more importance to era score and turns it into something I'm always worried about, especially in the early game. Plus its fun to occasionally see entire continents of Free Cities

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

I love the concept of dramatic ages, but like most of the new gameplay modes, the AI just can’t deal with it. My dramatic ages play throughs featured almost the entire world turning into free cities, civilization after civilization eliminated not by anything I did, just from the AI being like “eh no sense retaking that city, it’ll be fine”

Really wish it worked though. It’s a great gameplay concept.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
I think it's really dumb that Dark Ages in the regular game are 100% upside compared to normal ages (maaabye not if you're neighbors with Eleanor). But at least there's something interesting going on there - am I going to try and keep my era score low for a dark age, or boost it high for a golden? Gotta plan ahead so that I can avoid a normal age, the worst kind of age. And getting golden ages is at least somewhat challenging.

On the other hand, with Dramatic Ages, there's no planning ahead - all there is is a check right before the age changeover to see if I need to boost my era score slightly, and then I never, ever dark age. 100% goldens. Boring.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I think all those alternate game modes have 2 problems: their effects are too extreme and the AI can't handle then

Birth dramatic ages and the corporate stuff are good improvements to the base mechanics but they would have to be toned down a bit. And also they would have to teach the AI to use them

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Jun 17, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Elias_Maluco posted:

I think all those alternate game modes have 2 problems: their effects are too extreme and the AI can't handle then

Birth dramatic ages and the corporate stuff are good improvements to the base mechanics but they would have to be toned down a bit. And also they would have to teach the AI to use them

Someone upthread made a good point about the alternate game modes can be thought of as a way to fine-tune difficulty.

The jump from king to emperor, for example, can be pretty big. Enabling secret societies or heroes would make the jump between king and emperor softer.

But yeah, the reason why the alternate modes make it easier is because the AI doesn't know what to do with them, like much of the rest of the game.