Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

"Boomer" is definitely a mindset and not an age. there are plenty of chill old people born in the 50s and plenty of assfucks born in the aughts. I think the boomer mindset tracks better against economic status. and it just so happens that boomers were more financially secure growing up than zoomers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

kalel posted:

"Boomer" is definitely a mindset and not an age. there are plenty of chill old people born in the 50s and plenty of assfucks born in the aughts. I think the boomer mindset tracks better against economic status. and it just so happens that boomers were more financially secure growing up than zoomers

Also the poor boomers are more likely to be dead

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I know when I settled on "no problem" many years ago I sat down and worked my way through a careful set of rubrics about what impression I wanted to give the people I was talking to about how much I wanted to help them and how much I considered it to be an imposition that they should be thanking me for

It definitely wasn't that "no problem" was how they talked in movies and cartoons and sounded more natural and easygoing than the way people talked in books from the 30s

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Data Graham posted:

I know when I settled on "no problem" many years ago I sat down and worked my way through a careful set of rubrics about what impression I wanted to give the people I was talking to about how much I wanted to help them and how much I considered it to be an imposition that they should be thanking me for

It definitely wasn't that "no problem" was how they talked in movies and cartoons and sounded more natural and easygoing than the way people talked in books from the 30s

Just tell people you learned to talk 30 years ago* from Terminator 2 and you didn't want to trigger them by saying it in pseudo Spanish. If they keep it up, tell them to "chill out, dickwad"

*Always remind jerks how long ago their youth was

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Data Graham posted:

Boomers are the actual snowflakes. Projecting snowflakes.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

LifeSunDeath posted:

Boomers are the actual snowflakes. Projecting snowflakes.

like one of those snow machines?

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

`Nemesis posted:

the mugshots of the dipshit patriot front guys that got arrested

Unironically a handful of these guys look like they had fetal alcohol syndrome.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
No, problem!

Turpitude II
Nov 10, 2014

where does saying "that's okay" or "sure thing" fall on this scale?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Turpitude II posted:

A lil higher than "yeah whatever"

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Data Graham posted:

I imagine most people was probably just a thing but I explicitly picked it up from Douglas Adam's The Salmon of Doubt. A past employee had left a copy behind at the movie theater and I read it between rushes. There's one part where they go to some resort and the bellhop or whatever is helping them do all this stuff and always responds "no problem", with the eventual story/punchline building up to when it became a problem.

But I remember him (a boomer) writing about how nice and reassuring it was that this guy was always saying no problem. So I kind of took that to heart and started saying it.

Now 20 years later it's a whole thing and I've realized I say it all the time, and I don't give a gently caress if it pisses boomers off.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

itskage posted:

I imagine most people was probably just a thing but I explicitly picked it up from Douglas Adam's The Salmon of Doubt. A past employee had left a copy behind at the movie theater and I read it between rushes. There's one part where they go to some resort and the bellhop or whatever is helping them do all this stuff and always responds "no problem", with the eventual story/punchline building up to when it became a problem.

But I remember him (a boomer) writing about how nice and reassuring it was that this guy was always saying no problem. So I kind of took that to heart and started saying it.

Now 20 years later it's a whole thing and I've realized I say it all the time, and I don't give a gently caress if it pisses boomers off.

I remember that part! He was in Australia, and had heard that there was a place where you could swim with rays, and he had one of those motorized underwater things for scuba divers and wanted to race a ray. Everything was "No worries" right until he wanted to swim with the rays, and then it became "No way" because they don't do that anymore.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

The Anime Liker posted:

Honestly I'm glad they're dying

:yeah:

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry

Turpitude II posted:

I say "you got it". I don't know if thats better or worse.

https://twitter.com/LeGreentext/status/1536749097583001603

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Good Dog posted:

I say "you got it". I don't know if thats better or worse.

https://twitter.com/LeGreentext/status/1536749097583001603

this tweet reminds me of one of the new areas in the stanley parable ultra deluxe

which is a very cool game that i barely hear anyone talk about, in contrast to the "game" that is basically just a really long choose your own adventure book where you can die because your character is too hungover and looked at a trash can the wrong way. people itt LOVE that game bc it deals with everyone's favorite theoretical/fake concept: communism

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

ShoogaSlim posted:

this tweet reminds me of one of the new areas in the stanley parable ultra deluxe

which is a very cool game that i barely hear anyone talk about, in contrast to the "game" that is basically just a really long choose your own adventure book where you can die because your character is too hungover and looked at a trash can the wrong way. people itt LOVE that game bc it deals with everyone's favorite theoretical/fake concept: communism

I dont know how but you failed at playing a video game

you are supposed to just play the game

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

um excuse me posted:

saying "acknowledged" like a robot.

I think I gotta try this

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Milo and POTUS posted:

I think I gotta try this

It struck me recently that while data off star trek is supposed to be a robot he still has better interpersonal and conflict resolution skills than most humans.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

kalel posted:

It's great that your Nana born in 55 wasn't a POS to you but like, you really didn't see the absolute skullfuckery their generation did to Millennials as a demographic whole, where the very best you can say about one of them is "well you tried and you failed to stop it, so thanks for trying I guess." But most of them didn't try. Most of them cheered it on or facilitated it. It was millions upon millions of them laughing "We trained them wrong, as a joke. Very funny you see" while reverse-mortgaging everything their kids were supposed to have in exchange for a marginally less lovely late middle age.

Like yeah "Boomer is a mindset" sure whatever we'll get on board with that :jerkbag: but "Baby Boomers" are still a specific demo that is absolutely going down in history as one of the worst to ever grace the soon-to-be-blighted Earth.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

mind the walrus posted:

It's great that your Nana born in 55 wasn't a POS to you but like, you really didn't see the absolute skullfuckery their generation did to Millennials as a demographic whole, where the very best you can say about one of them is "well you tried and you failed to stop it, so thanks for trying I guess." But most of them didn't try. Most of them cheered it on or facilitated it. It was millions upon millions of them laughing "We trained them wrong, as a joke. Very funny you see" while reverse-mortgaging everything their kids were supposed to have in exchange for a marginally less lovely late middle age.

Like yeah "Boomer is a mindset" sure whatever we'll get on board with that :jerkbag: but "Baby Boomers" are still a specific demo that is absolutely going down in history as one of the worst to ever grace the soon-to-be-blighted Earth.

Funny meme, where's it from?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

mind the walrus posted:

Ok, goober

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.

mind the walrus posted:

Antitonic
Sep 24, 2011

Invented By Gandhi

Wonder how people outside Australia would feel about “all good!” or “cheers!”. These are like my standard responses, and it’s never been an issue. :shrug:

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

mind the walrus posted:

okay

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

my dad was born in '55 and he wouldn't give half a poo poo what form of "you're welcome" you say to him

BUT he gets VERY upset if i ever say "don't worry about it" bc he thinks i'm implying that he is overly worried about said topic or any topic and goes out of his way to convince me that he isn't worried at all

but he is. he is definitely worried. no other way to put it

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING
There's a good video on this very topic, as well as some others from other countries.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGnH0KAXhCw

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

ShoogaSlim posted:

my dad was born in '55 and he wouldn't give half a poo poo what form of "you're welcome" you say to him

BUT he gets VERY upset if i ever say "don't worry about it" bc he thinks i'm implying that he is overly worried about said topic or any topic and goes out of his way to convince me that he isn't worried at all

but he is. he is definitely worried. no other way to put it

please don't put in the newspaper that I'm worried

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llZ1KKvcSZs

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

In my experience Canadians will say "you're welcome/no problem" but Americans just say "mmhmm".

Idk what thats about. A bit rude imo.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
canadians say "yes I love you very much sir/madam"
americans say "eat my poo poo and hair you cockhole"

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

mind the walrus posted:

This kind of bitter wretch posturing embarrasses all of us

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

The Bloop posted:

canadians say "yes I love you very much sir/madam"
americans say "eat my poo poo and hair you cockhole"

It is because of the queen

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

GolfHole posted:

In my experience Canadians will say "you're welcome/no problem" but Americans just say "mmhmm".

Idk what thats about. A bit rude imo.

Entirely depends on the tone of 'mm hmm', one is the verbal equivalent of a thumbs up, one is satisfaction/agreement, and one means 'i hope you drive off the road'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

um excuse me posted:

I say no problem, but its a mindless reaction not social commentary. It is a response to "thank you" without saying "acknowledged" like a robot.

When did "you're welcome" fall out of fashion in the US? I remember as a kid 40 years ago going to an american restaurant and as we said "thank you" every time she passed something to one of us she would reply "uh huh". Just over an hour drive from Vancouver to Bellingham but somehow the phrase "you're welcome" completely disappears.

e: oh there was another page. Woops.