Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

How is the Shrink Next Door?

I listened to the podcast and it kind of sucked and was deeply annoying, but it seems like a more fictional, comedy version of it could be alright.

It dragged on a bit and like many shows these days just needed to be a 2 hr movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

How is the Shrink Next Door?

I listened to the podcast and it kind of sucked and was deeply annoying, but it seems like a more fictional, comedy version of it could be alright.

Its super stressful and depressing. I got like an episode or two before the end and couldn't bring myself to watch anymore, despite loving the entire cast.

GoodApollo
Jul 9, 2005

Anybody else have a lot of problems with Paramount Plus? The only reason I have it is for my kid and I can only get it working on my Roku box. Streams won't start on any browser (tried multiple computers), straight up cannot sign in on any of our iPad or iPhone devices. Support is no help.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
On anything other than our Roku tv... It can take like five minutes to load

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yeah, no issues on Roku or in Chrome for me.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I gave up trying to use the Xbox app because of constant buffering issues. Loads super slow on my smart tv, but at least it functions correctly. It’s still easily the worst streaming app I’ve used.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

GoodApollo posted:

Anybody else have a lot of problems with Paramount Plus? The only reason I have it is for my kid and I can only get it working on my Roku box. Streams won't start on any browser (tried multiple computers), straight up cannot sign in on any of our iPad or iPhone devices. Support is no help.

Do you have any sort of VPN on your client or router? Are you using a different DNS (again on client or router) to get around regional lockouts for content?

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

GoodApollo posted:

Paramount Plus is the worst app on my tv. It's insanely slow and doesn't count button pushes like 25% of the time.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
okay so yeah Adam Sandler's Hoop Dreamz is actually a very good sports movie

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Just finished Night Sky.

I liked it but it needs to step up its game.

JK Simmons and Sissy Spacek are amazing as is to be expected and I did like their story. But the rest just felt really cheap. Both in skimpiness of story and actual production value. Felt like some B-Team putting it together and any of the “action” was really poorly done.

But still an interesting premise and I liked it enough to see where it goes next season if they get one. Maybe they’ll spend some more cash on it.

Also… Penny!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

BonoMan posted:

Also… Penny!

she has been so consistently awesome on For All Mankind as well

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Peaky Blinders really went out with a banger of a season. I can't wait for the movie.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

mcmagic posted:

Peaky Blinders really went out with a banger of a season. I can't wait for the movie.

did it stop feeling like a 2015 jamesons commercial? the random artic monkey type needledrops drove me nuts.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Finished For All Mankind s2. Really good, although I disliked what an easy ride Reagan got.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

For all mankind is really cool at times but it’s definitely got some Tom Clancy style boomer writing / military hero worship. Feels like a join the navy ad most of the time. Of course they aren’t going to poo poo on Reagan

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Famethrowa posted:

did it stop feeling like a 2015 jamesons commercial? the random artic monkey type needledrops drove me nuts.

I bailed on Peaky Blinders after season three since it got super formulaic. Kinda of shocked it lasted for six seasons.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Famethrowa posted:

No, not at all but the songs aren't as obnoxious I would say.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

A MIRACLE posted:

For all mankind is really cool at times but it’s definitely got some Tom Clancy style boomer writing / military hero worship. Feels like a join the navy ad most of the time. Of course they aren’t going to poo poo on Reagan

This is what stopped me watching it about four episodes into the first season.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
eehhhhhh i don't think they gave Reagan an easy time, i think that what they're doing is showing how history changes stuff. how Nixon and Reagen could be remembered fondly if things had gone differently. everything in the whoel show is like that

i deffo would not say it's boomer poo poo, especially since the main story arc of season 1 is about how girls can do space just as good as boys and the struggles of being gays and queermos in the 70s

i mean all the libs on the show are made to look super good too, you know?

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Need a good show dedicated to making Regan look like the crap he is

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Ron Moore is pretty lib brained, Outlander is actually more hilariously lib brained than For All Mankind is too.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

mcmagic posted:

Ron Moore is pretty lib brained, Outlander is actually more hilariously lib brained than For All Mankind is too.

I'm actually a little worried about For All Mankind right now. I love it so far, but I also really enjoyed the first couple seasons of Outlander, which is pretty unwatchable now. I just looked it up, and Moore is still the showrunner of that show.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
actually the more i think about it the more hilariously wrong it is to describe For All Mankind as boomer Tom Clancy type stuff because the show goes very far out of its way, almost to the point of being silly, of pointing out that dudes are toxic jerks who hold everyone else back, and every dude on the show who is an hero is also showed to be so flawed its almost comical

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Liberals can be boomers too

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Before anyone @‘s me I love RLM and I watch botw and review all the time and have fuckin space cop on Blu ray lmao

But gently caress them too for making Star Wars harder to enjoy irl with other people.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
The kind of backlash to Star Wars being noticeably worse than you remember as a kid was inevitable even before Disney bought it, they were just the first to really capitalize on it

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
You know what is a boomer-Tom Clancy type of movie that has aged horrendously? "Clear and Present Danger". Great cast, good performances, wild 90s lib mindset. Very instructive stuff.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

hunt for red October still owns

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

CelticPredator posted:

Liberals can be boomers too

i mean yes but my point still stands, FAM is not even a little bit politically conservative. the alt history stuff with nixon and reagan and whatever, it's just having fun. they also have a beatles reunion in it because john lennon never got shot. it's just fluff, i don't think there's any other reason for it

mystes
May 31, 2006

Wolfsheim posted:

The kind of backlash to Star Wars being noticeably worse than you remember as a kid was inevitable even before Disney bought it, they were just the first to really capitalize on it
I think the problem is that some of the early Disney star wars stuff was not terrible, like the first movie was okay even though it was just kind of a rehash of episode iv, rogue one was decent, and the beginning of the mandalorian was surprisingly good.

This both gave people excessively high expectations and encouraged Disney to go ahead and order a zillion spinoffs.

They could have just made fewer shows or pumped out spinoffs aimed purely at kids, but trying to sell a streaming service based on this level of continuous star wars shows may have been a mistake.

They may also be trying to apply the Netflix strategy of making a ton of stuff in the hope that a small percentage will become big hits and cancelling whatever fails, but that may not work as well within franchises because once people start ignoring new marvel and star wars shows they're going to have a problem.

mystes fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jun 14, 2022

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Emergency is pretty good I dug it.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Just spotted Alien, Aliens, and Akira in the Hulu search page, I don't know if that's common knowledge or not, especially Akira. I've had a hard time finding that one the last couple times I looked

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I saw Akira on there a while back but thought it got taken down, glad to hear it's back up there.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
Last night I finished the latest reboot of Queer as Folk on Peacock, after the original UK version aired from 1999 to 2000, and the first US version aired from 2000 to 2005 on Showtime.

Of the 3 versions, only the UK original is actually any good, although I haven't seen it in about 12 years. I could never get into the Showtime show. This new one, while full of plenty of eye candy, is plagued by some poor plot choices (a Pulse nightclub style shooting in the first episode, the lead character repeatedly hooking up with a high schooler, a high school teacher regularly drinking and partying with her students without any serious repercussions, a will they or won't they romance between the gay cismale lead and the lesbian transfemale supporting lead), and some shitpoor acting by Jesse James Keitel as Ruthie, CG as Shar, Ryan O'Connell as Julian, Eric Graise as Marvin, and Kim Cattrall as Brenda. Much of the show feels like a very deliberate response to criticism of the first US reboot and HBO's Looking, in a very showy "look here, look here, we're doing it right" sort of way, while also failing to do so in a successful way.

Its a Sin (created by the creator of the original Queer as Folk) remains the best gay TV show of the last few years, that show had me ugly crying a few times.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Nihonniboku posted:

Its a Sin (created by the creator of the original Queer as Folk) remains the best gay TV show of the last few years, that show had me ugly crying a few times.

oh gently caress yeah, that show was so good :smith:

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
I watched the first episode of P-Valley after The Guardian posted a glowing review of the show. It was pretty good, impressively serious and well-done for a show that's ostensibly about a strip club.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Papercut posted:

I watched the first episode of P-Valley after The Guardian posted a glowing review of the show. It was pretty good, impressively serious and well-done for a show that's ostensibly about a strip club.

Yeah it's a fantastic show. The plotting is above average, but the dialogue is what impressed me (and not in the sense that it's made of a bunch of super quotable pithy lines, like a lot of people mean when they talk about good dialogue, but more in the sense that it's vibrant and characterful and informative without being declarative... a lot of television has very mediocre scripting).

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I really hope Severance doesn’t pull a Raised By Wolves in S2 and goes so hard that it loses the audience, leading to an early cancellation. Although it also feels like a show that will get worse and worse the longer it lasts.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i feel like Severance has enough goofyness at its core to not fall into the usual traps of such shows

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

precision posted:

i feel like Severance has enough goofyness at its core to not fall into the usual traps of such shows
Raised by Wolves has at least as much goofy stuff as Severance. Or, rather, had :(