Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Hector Delgado posted:

crypto winter just like Nostradamus predicted

Wise man once said:

Go to sleep a greedy rear end in a top hat

Wake up a bankrupt smelly ape

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
Got shilled a project from people I know:

This is going to be a great nft and worth equivalent to a BAYC!

A day later: oh it's not actually an nft project.

I had no interest ever in the first place, but wtf. Looking forward to reporting this failure shortly.

I told em: you know this is literally at the peak of people not giving a poo poo about NFT's right? Them: we didn't pick the timing, the technology picked the timing. :agesilaus:

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Checked if I could cash out my free shitcoins Coinbase gave me for guessing through some multiple-choice quizzes, nearly all of them have crashed below $1 in value, which is the minimum necessary to cash out. The ones that should be sellable, I get an error message just as I go to sell. This is all house money anyway, so no loss, but what a shitshow.

END CHEMTRAILS NOW
Apr 16, 2005

Pillbug
Now is the winter of our discount ape.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Noice

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

I've never cared about the value of BTC but lolled at the graphs people posted ITT. Today I decided on a whim to leave one of the price trackers open on my second monitor while working and loving lol at anyone thinking this is real money.

Exchange rate graphs for things like GBP to USD usually have to scale down to $0.00x to show daily fluctuations, so watching this poo poo bounce by $500 every couple of minutes is hilarious. Probably old news to everyone here but it was fun for me.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

END CHEMTRAILS NOW posted:

Made glorious summer by this run on butts.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Is now a good time to buy bitcoin?

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

ElGroucho posted:

Is now a good time to buy bitcoin?

It's always been a good time to buy butts, no better time than now.

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

Behind you! A three headed monkey!

College Slice

Cyrano4747 posted:

All of what you're describing has existed before, but at the absolute bottom tier of finance. Think penny stocks and day traders. The people who were doing pump and dumps and betting on a news story making a stock go viral before the phrase "going viral" was even part of our vocabulary.

Back in the old days of the internet, 90s into the early 2000s, one of the earliest classic forms of spam was penny stock pump and dumps. Some spammer picks a penny stock, loads up on it, and then hit every email address they can with spam hyping this hot up and coming stock

Here’s a fun convention talk where a guy decided to track the spam vs performance of the penny stocks, and as stupid as it is, it usually worked. Then he devised a system to pick up which penny stock was the next target, and he started front running the pump and dump targets and claiming free money.

Eventually spam filters got too good and brought the whole system down, but as a scheme it’s probably way more effective than you’re thinking. Crypto, especially altcoins, are basically the same scam writ very very large.

Good story, a fun speaker, cannot believe this is now a decade old

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytDamqTjPwg

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

:golfclap:

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

priznat posted:

It’s not a Ponzi scheme because it was not started by Charles Ponzi, what this is is a sparkling fraud.

This deserved more love.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

every exchange and celsius type ponzi custodian right now:

https://twitter.com/BennettTomlin/status/1536782134605713408

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

New thread title, inshallah

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Booyah- posted:

every exchange and celsius type ponzi custodian right now:

https://twitter.com/BennettTomlin/status/1536782134605713408

I'm told Crypto is built on trust, so this checks out.

Noob Saibot
Jan 29, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

They watched the miniseries about Theranos and don’t want anyone leaking out bad poo poo to the press

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
https://twitter.com/CelsiusNetwork/status/1536770444140810242

Working hard, thank you!

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal
Hey, it’s hard work coming up with new ways to prevent people from getting their money.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

That awkward moment when a large crypto institutions reveals its final form then drains the accounts and shuts the lights off on all of their marks.

It's pretty loving funny.

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

Wandered into the nearby bodega this morning.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

xarph posted:

The Celsius drink fridge next to is just :discourse:

Taco Duck
Feb 18, 2011

Zil posted:

The Celsius fridge just needs a big old lock on it

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

xarph posted:

oh poo poo I gotta check on the one at my local grocery, it looks brand new which makes it extra funny. I told my gf that it's literally only there so people who get scammed online can send money to unlock their computers.

Rotacixe
Oct 21, 2008

Zil posted:

Celsius fridge needs a name change to Kelvin. Because anything inside that is going to absolute zero.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

below 22k again

Noob Saibot
Jan 29, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
I love how it’s a crypto winter insinuating “we’re gonna go away for a awhile but we’ll be back in a few years to get the schemes cooking again don’t worry!”

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

Your call is important to us

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Noob Saibot posted:

I love how it’s a crypto winter insinuating “we’re gonna go away for a awhile but we’ll be back in a few years to get the schemes cooking again don’t worry!”

Its also the kind of marketing speak that gets people more willing to buy the dip. If its winter now, then I will be rich come summer!

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Lol: "Please don't ask us any questions which may result in legal exposure"

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
crypto: its poo poo, though

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Don't distract us, we're trying to move the bag someplace!

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
all hands on dick at celsius

your money is very important to us

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Zil posted:

Its also the kind of marketing speak that gets people more willing to buy the dip. If its winter now, then I will be rich come summer!

but its summer right now?

Also at least they didnt do a game of throne ref.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
You could make a movie about bitcoins desperate struggle to maintain 22k

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

CharlestheHammer posted:

You could make a movie about bitcoins desperate struggle to maintain 22k

Just think of all the whales blowing money to keep the price up. It makes me smile.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

GhostTTY would have loved this..

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

Foo Diddley posted:

Your money is very important to us

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

If there's a $1000 disparity between the price of BTC on kraken and the price of BTC on coinbase, how is that not ripe for arbitrage?

tpink
Feb 18, 2013

Melman

Blue Footed Booby posted:

From the replies:
https://twitter.com/BusHodl/status/1536717964484804609

"What even is a ponzi, really, when you get down to it"

Everything I don’t like is a Ponzi.

Except for Bitcoin. That thing? Definitely not a Ponzi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

NtotheTC posted:

If there's a $1000 disparity between the price of BTC on kraken and the price of BTC on coinbase, how is that not ripe for arbitrage?

You're assuming that you can quickly and reliably transfer coins between the two.

Which is not a good assumption.