Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

https://twitter.com/ChittiMarco/status/1446247737381502977?t=wJS-dmJxZhO9uPqjYrq92Q&s=19

Like 1.5 orders of magnitude better than what English speaking countries build. Imagine getting that much more public infrastructure. It might actually start building support for further investment!

Anyway, I'm sure Eric Adams is ringing up all the civil servants who worked on this in Italy and offering them green cards right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

WaryWarren posted:

Minnesota ftw

did minnesota do this too, or what

mystes
May 31, 2006

distortion park posted:

https://twitter.com/ChittiMarco/status/1446247737381502977?t=wJS-dmJxZhO9uPqjYrq92Q&s=19

Like 1.5 orders of magnitude better than what English speaking countries build. Imagine getting that much more public infrastructure. It might actually start building support for further investment!

Anyway, I'm sure Eric Adams is ringing up all the civil servants who worked on this in Italy and offering them green cards right now.
We really need to learn from what's working in other countries but Americans are literally incapable of that.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

distortion park posted:

Mama mia!

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

distortion park posted:

1.3 billion across 13km and 19 stations? What's that get you in the US, 2 miles of highway that takes 3 years to finish?

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

did minnesota do this too, or what

Yes, I haven't noticed any yard signs when I've been back to Illinois to visit family. My neighborhood in MN is littered with them and people still drive 40+ down side streets with cars parked on one or both sides of the street. :hmmyes:

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

distortion park posted:

My city is projecting somewhere above 1 million in escalator/vator maintenance per year per station by 2040, not counting replacement costs

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

"Oh don't mind how backwater and bare bones this out of the way, unpopular station is" mfer that thing is nicer than my town's main transit center and our whole state only has like 3 of those

mystes
May 31, 2006

Based on the pictures they have platform doors and are way nicer than typical NYC subway stations

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
when did they decide to give hatchbacks slightly bigger tires and call it a crossover SUV

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
Every year America's new car models evolve further into an SUV. Even the newest trucks look like a SUV with a tiny truck bed attached as an afterthought.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Zerg Mans posted:

when did they decide to give hatchbacks slightly bigger tires and call it a crossover SUV
When they realized they could double the price?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

Every year America's new car models evolve further into an SUV. Even the newest trucks look like a SUV with a tiny truck bed attached as an afterthought.

it's loving hilarious. look at this

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

WaryWarren posted:

Yes, I haven't noticed any yard signs when I've been back to Illinois to visit family. My neighborhood in MN is littered with them and people still drive 40+ down side streets with cars parked on one or both sides of the street. :hmmyes:

Minneapolis/St. Paul/A lot of the first tier burbs also set city wide speed limits to 20 MPH except when marked higher elsewhere so everything but major roads is 20 MPH. No one follows that, but it's something I guess.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

tbf most "suvs" these days are just raised hatchback sedans, which is at least a lot better than the days of some tiny chick driving a 8000 lb 50-ftx15ft wide ford escalade mowing down kids

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
its unbelievable to me that the "crossover" style of car has become so popular. no accounting for taste i guess

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I saw someone driving a brand new infiniti qx80 yesterday lol

it's always some white soccer mom

6000 pounds (I honestly thought it would be higher)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

actionjackson posted:

lol my 1990 q45 was only 4000 and it was extremely heavy

Apr 7, 2003

actionjackson posted:

It's just a Nissan Armada with an extra $20K added to the base MSRP, shrewd work on Nissan's part

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

i say swears online posted:

that cant be real wtf

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

ok its not the main model mustang but htat is fugly

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Suplex Liberace posted:

ok its not the main model mustang but htat is fugly
mustang is just dumb branding to make brain rotten boomers part with all their money.

the funniest thing is porsche is also doing extremely overpriced SUVs now and there was one yosposer who was obsesed and went out and bought one and said "i worked hard for it" lol

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Xaris posted:

mustang is just dumb branding to make brain rotten boomers part with all their money.

the funniest thing is porsche is also doing extremely overpriced SUVs now and there was one yosposer who was obsesed and went out and bought one and said "i worked hard for it" lol

my friend got a cayenne for driving from texas to colorado for snowboarding

took it on one trip before he just started flying instead

Apr 7, 2003

Xaris posted:

The Porsche SUVs are just rebadged VWs iirc

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

The Porsche SUVs are just rebadged VWs iirc

that's true which makes it funnier (this was LeftistMuslimObama/cis autodrag which also makes it even funnier). porsche doesnt use their own boxer engines because they dont work in an suv and are designed for compact-flat low-center of gravity and redesigning it would be too much work and far better just to take a VW and slap on the porsche badge and charge an extra $40k for the name.

no one buying an SUV is wise enough to know anyways so it's a smart move on their part

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Xaris posted:

that's true which makes it funnier (this was LeftistMuslimObama/cis autodrag which also makes it even funnier). porsche doesnt use their own boxer engines because they dont work in an suv and are designed for compact-flat low-center of gravity and redesigning it would be too much work and far better just to take a VW and slap on the porsche badge and charge an extra $40k for the name.

no one buying an SUV is wise enough to know anyways so it's a smart move on their part

yeah they’re a fav of Turkish government officials, including feto himself

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
my dad used to have 911s and was extremely disgusted at the cayenne when it came out

an actual frog
Mar 1, 2007

HEH, HEH, HEH!

Meanwhile, in Europe

:rubby:

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

mystes posted:

We really need to learn from what's working in other countries but Americans are literally incapable of that.

i can tell you why this doesn't happen in america:

(does the money fingers thing)

Why spend 50 bucks to have a government entity build something over a weekend when you can spend 5 million on bullshit like:
contract negotiation with private companies for 3 years (some of which are owned by your neighbors and friends)
envrionmental reviews that are meaningless (subcontracted to a company for 2 years)
public discourse for 18 months (listen to boomers complain about project)
new round of contract negotiations after paying the first company 2 million dollars just for them to bail out
and finally 3 million dollars to your golfing buddy with no timeline or budgetary concerns because you just got elected senator and it's therefore not your problem anymore

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

an actual frog posted:

Meanwhile, in Europe

:rubby:

why does this exist wtf

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

the tonkafication of personal vehicles continues apace

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I doubt many people know how many car brands VW owns

the highest price option for the QX80 is the "sensory" package lol

mystes
May 31, 2006

actionjackson posted:

Not nice of them to price gouge neurodivergent people (I assume that's not actually what it means...,)

a_pineapple
Dec 23, 2005

Just thought of something… Any chud rear end authoritarian candidate has a great chance of winning if they campaign on reducing gas prices.

and cars will continue to ruin the world lmao

mystes
May 31, 2006

a_pineapple posted:

Just thought of something… Any chud rear end authoritarian candidate has a great chance of winning if they campaign on reducing gas prices.

and cars will continue to ruin the world lmao
I think I've said this before, but I feel like we've optimized ourselves into a really lovely local minimum? Things could be better but getting there would require making things harder for everyone for a while temporarily, so instead everyone's just focused on ensuring things can stay easy in the local minimum we're camped out in right now.

It's too hard for politicians to try to convince people that they should change things, and half the country is basically now opposed to all change as their only political belief, so all politicians can do is make it even easier to not change anything.

I mean if we can't even try to propose ways for people to drive less at the time when people have the most financial incentive to do so, how are we ever supposed to cut emissions?!

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

actionjackson posted:

pretty funny since porsche has always been vw. the very first one was a juiced up beetle designed by the same dude and used the same parts. the og upmarket brand. but this time... upmarket for HITLER

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

my friend got a cayenne for driving from texas to colorado for snowboarding

took it on one trip before he just started flying instead

How does non-private air travel stack up on the energy wastage front anyway.

Epic High Five posted:

1.3 billion across 13km and 19 stations? What's that get you in the US, 2 miles of highway that takes 3 years to finish?

lol 3 years. Funny as

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Milo and POTUS posted:

How does non-private air travel stack up on the energy wastage front anyway.

lol 3 years. Funny as

depends on how many passengers are in a car and how full planes are (which will be flying regardless if there's no passengers, e.g. pandemic). so planes are flying whether you're on it or not, but driving is all on you to drive. a 4 passenger car is less co2, but a 1-person car ride is worse.. also depends on flight haul since heaviest is takeoff/landing poo poo and not as bad at high altitude cruising. but also individual footprint is a big oil psyop poo poo anyways.

a_pineapple
Dec 23, 2005

mystes posted:

I think I've said this before, but I feel like we've optimized ourselves into a really lovely local minimum? Things could be better but getting there would require making things harder for everyone for a while temporarily, so instead everyone's just focused on ensuring things can stay easy in the local minimum we're camped out in right now.

It's too hard for politicians to try to convince people that they should change things, and half the country is basically now opposed to all change as their only political belief, so all politicians can do is make it even easier to not change anything.

I mean if we can't even try to propose ways for people to drive less at the time when people have the most financial incentive to do so, how are we ever supposed to cut emissions?!

I agree I think those are all valid points
* We (in general, personally idgaf change it all up we live in hell) are extremely resistant to any sort of minor change, and like you said half the country has absorbed being resistant to change into their culture
* Policymakers face an impossible choice: Either do what the "majority" of people want (to drive) or don't get elected
* Car culture is so goddamn strong and fused with American culture that changing policy is useless. Culture has to change.

We are literally willing to sacrifice ourselves and our fellow humans for the opportunity/ability to drive.

I really do think that American cultural values basically come down to war and cars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Xaris posted:

but also individual footprint is a big oil psyop poo poo anyways.