Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?
Need someone smarter than me at music networking things.

In my home studio, in my control room, I have a MOTU 8 channel interface. That is networked via AVB to a MOTU Stagebox 16 channel interface out in the live room.

I need a way to setup individual monitoring as well as talkback.

So I have a Behringer XR18 that I was eventually going to use for in-ears live. Could I use that here for monitoring? I assume there's some way to network the two together.

At any rate, I literally just learned about AVB when I was building this studio. Running a single ethernet cable is a gently caress of a lot easier than running 16 channels of XLR.

So yeah....help?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Something of a curiosity that just popped into my mind while looking up guitar stuff: I remember reading and seeing videos about a recording trick for industrial metal guitars, the stuff of NIN and Manson and Rob Zombie, that involved manipulating tape speeds. IIRC, you'd record a tinny-sounding palm-muted riff at double-speed on the tape machine, and when played back normally the tape would impart some distortion that's pleasant in the sense that a NIN record is 'pleasant'.

Does this sound familiar at all? Because I'm having a hard time searching for it. Maybe I'm getting the process backwards (half-speed recording to full-speed playback). Assuming I'm not imagining this, is there a good way to try to replicate this in-the-box, with tape VSTs and time-stretching?

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

Mister Speaker posted:

Something of a curiosity that just popped into my mind while looking up guitar stuff: I remember reading and seeing videos about a recording trick for industrial metal guitars, the stuff of NIN and Manson and Rob Zombie, that involved manipulating tape speeds. IIRC, you'd record a tinny-sounding palm-muted riff at double-speed on the tape machine, and when played back normally the tape would impart some distortion that's pleasant in the sense that a NIN record is 'pleasant'.

Does this sound familiar at all? Because I'm having a hard time searching for it. Maybe I'm getting the process backwards (half-speed recording to full-speed playback). Assuming I'm not imagining this, is there a good way to try to replicate this in-the-box, with tape VSTs and time-stretching?

I've heard this same thing about John 5 from Marilyn Manson and I remember listening to a demo of it being done at some point, can't remember where though.

Edit: Got it! It was in the Doom 2016 GDC panel with Mick Gordon. Here it is timestamped: https://youtu.be/U4FNBMZsqrY?t=1890

That whole panel is excellent if you're in a creative rut, highly recommend listening to the whole thing.

internet celebrity fucked around with this message at 12:46 on May 19, 2022

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Oh drat, of course it is. Thank you! I've watched that video a few times. Mick is a genius, and the idea he demonstrates for his capital-I 'Instrument' (sending simple sines and white noise to mults and processing each output with a different effect chain) had me building racks and nested groups in Ableton for a few days. Of course there's only so much you can do in-the-box; I should really get off my rear end and try some effect loops with my DOD Carcosa fuzz or something. I'm still wondering if there's a way to approximate the tape speed/octave effect Mick talks about, ITB. What he says seems to suggest it's not just the tape speed change itself but a pushed preamp as well.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
It's also worth remembering a big part of that industrial sound is no cab on the guitar, just distortion or amp straight to desk.
When that is pulled down an octave and played at half speed it'll probably impart a lot of the character you're after as distortion behaves really interestingly when pitch shifted/time stretched

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

you just want it to change pitch as you change the clip length right? you just need to set the time stretching mode to varispeed instead of monophonic or polyphonic. logic and pro tools have that in the track header, but i'm not sure about ableton. i wouldn't think you'd need a vst for it. it should be built-in, unless i'm misunderstanding what you're looking for.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Do shotgun mics have any utility at all in recording music?

A friend wants me to record and mix his demo EP. Acoustic guitar and vocal, simple singer-songwriter stuff. I'm excited because I haven't done this ina a while and he's a great musician. The plan was to use my location sound kit to find a nice-sounding space and track it there. But my location sound kit is decidedly that; a location sound kit that I put together when I still had hope of getting work in film. It contains:
Two Sennheiser shotgun mics (MKH416 & MKE600)
Two Sennheiser lavalier mics
Audio-Technica AT8022 X-Y stereo condenser mic
Zoom F8n recorder

I also have an SM7B, an AT4040 large-diaphragm condenser, and an SM58 (maybe a 57 somewhere too). I'm wondering if any of this will be useful for recording an acoustic guitar & vocals, or if I should go ahead and rent some mics, maybe an extra AT4040 and a pair of small-diaphragm condensers. I'm familiar with some rudimentary techniques for micing acoustic guitar - my plan was to go with the tried and true "pair at the 12th fret; large-diaphragm pointed up the fretboard and small-diaphragm pointed at the sound hole, panned slightly" but I'm not sure the shotgun will be appropriate for this - I understand their extreme directionality not only makes for a small 'sweet spot' but can cause phasing issues, especially if the guitar gets moved around a lot. This also means I'd need to either use the SM7B or 58 on his voice, since I only have the one large-diaphragm condenser. Maybe the AT8022 somewhere in the room if the space sounds nice enough to warrant it.

Will any of this work, or should I avoid the shotguns altogether and rent a pair of smaller pencil condensers? Thanks!

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

i think the shotguns are definitely gonna be too narrow to be the main mic, but if you're pairing it with an ldc then you might be able to really emphasize a particular part of the sound by using it as a secondary mic. a shotgun is really only going to be useful if you're taking advantage of the seperation instead of fighting it, imo. like, if he wants to sing at the same time as playing, you could try the 416 positioned so the guitar is as off-axis as possible, but if you're not doing a tiny desk concert kinda thing, it's probably just easier to put a dynamic up. or you could try aiming it almost parallel to the neck so you're getting sound hole and 12th fret and very little body resonance. basically, experimenting with the 416 could be fun, but imo it's probably not gonna lead the charge unless you figure out a very specific sound you want

you have inspired me to play around with a 416 on my resonator :getin:

i vomit kittens
Apr 25, 2019

I got a new desk with a keyboard tray that I was hoping to stick my MIDI on (an Impact LX-25) but unfortunately the knobs make it just barely too tall to fit. I've been looking around at some others that would and right now I'm between an Arturia MiniLab and an Akai Mini. The Arturia seems to have overall nicer build quality and better key feeling, but I've heard it has some issues with the drum pads not being great (in addition to their layout making it harder to finger drum). I see people say the pads on the Akai are great but the keys feel kind of cheap and it seems some have problems with keys breaking after a year or so. It also doesn't have pitch shift/mod wheels which I enjoy messing around with. Does anyone have suggestions on which of these I should go for? Or maybe a mythical third option that has both good keys and pads? It just has to be less than 2.75" in height to fit my tray.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

i vomit kittens posted:

I got a new desk with a keyboard tray that I was hoping to stick my MIDI on (an Impact LX-25) but unfortunately the knobs make it just barely too tall to fit. I've been looking around at some others that would and right now I'm between an Arturia MiniLab and an Akai Mini. The Arturia seems to have overall nicer build quality and better key feeling, but I've heard it has some issues with the drum pads not being great (in addition to their layout making it harder to finger drum). I see people say the pads on the Akai are great but the keys feel kind of cheap and it seems some have problems with keys breaking after a year or so. It also doesn't have pitch shift/mod wheels which I enjoy messing around with. Does anyone have suggestions on which of these I should go for? Or maybe a mythical third option that has both good keys and pads? It just has to be less than 2.75" in height to fit my tray.

Komplete Kontrol?

Tbh, I’ve found it’s best to just get a good drum pad controller and a good keyboard rather than try to get something that can do both best

i vomit kittens
Apr 25, 2019

I checked out the Komplete Kontrol while I was doing my initial search and it looks really nice but I believe it's also too tall for the tray :(. I actually hadn't thought of getting a separate pad but now that you mention it that seems like it might be a better idea.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

i vomit kittens posted:

How does the tray attach? Is it an option to just add some washers between it and the desk to get more space?

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Newegg has an open box sale getting Beyer DT-770 to $100 for today: https://www.newegg.com/beyerdynamic...90&om_mid=30306

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
I want to get a vocal mic for self-critique and lessons. I already have a good audio interface so I am looking at XLR mics, not USB. I do not want to buy any other gear (eg Cloudlifter). I'm leaning towards a condenser so that I'm not adding in the complication of stage mic technique right away -- that said, I'm also not looking for an excuse to spend money, so if a $100 stage dynamic is the way to go, problem solved.

Budget is up to $300 at a full stretch - preferably $200-$250, used or new. My interests are jazz-pop (i.e. Sinatra) and straight pop (i.e. Elton John), and my voice is a baritone that (IMO) would probably suffer with a bright/peaky microphone. My space isn't great but I am not going to be recording for anything other than instruction or self-critique for the forseeable future. If I really want to record something nice I can go into a closet, or turn off the AC and put up some blankets. Seems like the thing should I want is transparency rather than "airy" or "vintage character" or whatever. I don't care how it sounds on guitar, drums, etc. -- this will be for singing and spoken word only.

I'm currently leaning towards a used Rode NT1 kit for ~$180. The AT4040 also seems appealing, but a lot of the other options (AKG 214, NT1A) seem like they may brighten voices too much for my tastes. On the dynamic side, the SE V7 sounds the most neutral/transparent to me. I don't mind picking up 2 mics and A/B testing. That said, I doubt my ear is developed enough to really make an enlightened decision, so I'd appreciate a sanity check on everything I just said.

e: Now that I see that all in writing, I am way overthinking this. The AT4040 is just as cheap used and sounds fine to me. Worst case I'll return it and get the V7.

Discussion Quorum fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jun 14, 2022

JeffLeonard
Apr 18, 2003

TV Violence

Discussion Quorum posted:

I want to get a vocal mic for self-critique and lessons. I already have a good audio interface so I am looking at XLR mics, not USB. I do not want to buy any other gear (eg Cloudlifter). I'm leaning towards a condenser so that I'm not adding in the complication of stage mic technique right away -- that said, I'm also not looking for an excuse to spend money, so if a $100 stage dynamic is the way to go, problem solved.

Budget is up to $300 at a full stretch - preferably $200-$250, used or new. My interests are jazz-pop (i.e. Sinatra) and straight pop (i.e. Elton John), and my voice is a baritone that (IMO) would probably suffer with a bright/peaky microphone. My space isn't great but I am not going to be recording for anything other than instruction or self-critique for the forseeable future. If I really want to record something nice I can go into a closet, or turn off the AC and put up some blankets. Seems like the thing should I want is transparency rather than "airy" or "vintage character" or whatever. I don't care how it sounds on guitar, drums, etc. -- this will be for singing and spoken word only.

I'm currently leaning towards a used Rode NT1 kit for ~$180. The AT4040 also seems appealing, but a lot of the other options (AKG 214, NT1A) seem like they may brighten voices too much for my tastes. On the dynamic side, the SE V7 sounds the most neutral/transparent to me. I don't mind picking up 2 mics and A/B testing. That said, I doubt my ear is developed enough to really make an enlightened decision, so I'd appreciate a sanity check on everything I just said.

I have the Rode NT1 kit (new, not used) and I like it. Singing & vocals are my least favorite part of creating music, so I never really did any A/B comparisons. Works well for what I do. I record with the "air" function on my Scarlett and it sounds good to me. FWIW

JeffLeonard fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jun 14, 2022

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?
Will 2nd the NT1. Was my daily driver vocal mic for years.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Go into a store and ask to A-B them into some headphones. You might find you like one more than the other that way.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Discussion Quorum posted:

My interests are jazz-pop (i.e. Sinatra) and straight pop (i.e. Elton John), and my voice is a baritone that (IMO) would probably suffer with a bright/peaky microphone.

so, uhhh, about Elton John—

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Ok, you got me :v: I'm not trying to sound exactly like Elton John, just invoking his musical style (straight singing, optionally at a piano). I could just have easily said John Legend or Chris Martin for more contemporary examples.

Anyhow, I've ordered a used AT4040 from Guitar Center as it seems a little more versatile. If I don't like it I'll return it and go with the thread favorite NT-1.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
What's the preferred app to record an interview, if audio doesn't matter? Can I just use zoom? I thought about telling the other guy to record his input, and then I'll splice it together, but that'll probably be too "technical" for the average interview partner.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Help me pick a mic!

Hey, I figure this is a question that this thread would like. I haven't found a more relevant thread in the hardware/software forum, but if you know one please let me know so I can take it there.

Basically, I'm looking for a USB microphone. The use case is me 85% spicing up my remote work, 10% Discord chat, 5% off-chance that I record the odd guitar riff over it (probably not really, though). I have eliminated a bunch of candidates and basically arrived at three options.

Requirements
  • USB
  • Ideally int the $100 range, but I might be willing to splurge for $150
  • Should sound good out of the box -- can't install any software to process on my work laptop! (I can use software on my gaming / recording PC, though).
  • Quality of life features: mute button, headphone jack, ideally some sound controls on there as well
  • Should look nice
  • Bonus points: if it comes with a stand that is tall enough to not have to use a mic arm

Which one should I pick?
1. Rode NT-USB Mini

2. Elgato Wave 1

3. Blue Yeti X

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

busalover posted:

What's the preferred app to record an interview, if audio doesn't matter? Can I just use zoom? I thought about telling the other guy to record his input, and then I'll splice it together, but that'll probably be too "technical" for the average interview partner.

I think Zoom would be fine in this situation. Depending on what the final product is, you might have to somehow separate the audio and video, but maybe the video part would be worth keeping.

Lord Stimperor posted:

Help me pick a mic!

Hey, I figure this is a question that this thread would like. I haven't found a more relevant thread in the hardware/software forum, but if you know one please let me know so I can take it there.

Basically, I'm looking for a USB microphone. The use case is me 85% spicing up my remote work, 10% Discord chat, 5% off-chance that I record the odd guitar riff over it (probably not really, though). I have eliminated a bunch of candidates and basically arrived at three options.

Requirements
  • USB
  • Ideally int the $100 range, but I might be willing to splurge for $150
  • Should sound good out of the box -- can't install any software to process on my work laptop! (I can use software on my gaming / recording PC, though).
  • Quality of life features: mute button, headphone jack, ideally some sound controls on there as well
  • Should look nice
  • Bonus points: if it comes with a stand that is tall enough to not have to use a mic arm

Which one should I pick?
1. Rode NT-USB Mini

2. Elgato Wave 1

3. Blue Yeti X

Seemingly everyone raves about the Yeti, so maybe just get that. The Rode would be another fine pick if you prefer it, but I think the Yeti has a slight height advantage. Not familiar with the Elgato though.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
The Yeti is a classic that gets used everywhere with very good results. The Rode is also an amazingly solid choice. No idea if an AT2020 falls in your price range but those are fantastic too.

Honestly grab the Yeti or Rode based on what you feel in the moment, you won't have a bad time with either.

I know nothing about the elgato.

lmbo calrissian
Feb 1, 2007

i'm into fashion
men are my passion
Does anyone have a link to a resource that compares USB audio interfaces that isnt completely useless to someone who doesnt understand technical audio language?

I'm a first time buyer and just want something for ableton and recording guitar/keyboard, no extra inputs needed and im not sure how I'd be able to pick between anything unless I really just need a scarlett thing

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

I couldn’t find a good breakdown either, so I’ll make a few recommendations. I think you’ll want something that allows for Hi-Z and line-level input, so here are a few starter options with that:

Behringer UMC202HD: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/UMC202HD--behringer-u-phoria-umc202hd-usb-audio-interface

Focusrite Scarlett 2i2: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Scarlet2i2G3--focusrite-scarlett-2i2-3rd-gen-usb-audio-interface

Steinberg UR22MkII: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/UR22MKII--steinberg-ur22mkii-usb-audio-interface

I have the Steinberg, and if I was in the market again, I’d want to check out the Focusrite (have only demoed it in store). I wouldn’t turn my nose up at the Behringer either. It was more than capable for my purposes when I was using one a few years ago.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

lmbo calrissian posted:

Does anyone have a link to a resource that compares USB audio interfaces that isnt completely useless to someone who doesnt understand technical audio language?

I'm a first time buyer and just want something for ableton and recording guitar/keyboard, no extra inputs needed and im not sure how I'd be able to pick between anything unless I really just need a scarlett thing

The ones Nitsuga linked above were the first that came to mind in response to your question. I have the Steinberg UR44, which I'm happy with, but it's the only interface I've used so don't have anything to compare it to. I'll note that I bought it in part because it came with Cubase and I wanted to use that DAW, so if you're set with Ableton that might not be a factor for you. So far as I can tell, the MOTU M2 and Universal Audio Volts are also well regarded (but again, no first hand experience with that).

The Sweetwater webpage of USB interfaces might be a good place to start because it has a compare function, so you can at least compare basic features across models. Other than that, if you're close to picking one, you might just want to google for reviews and in particular see what people say about the drivers. I've always been happy with the drivers with the UR44, and I feel like when I was shopping for my interface, I'd sometimes read reviews or Reddit threads where people complained about the drivers of other interfaces, so hearing something had solid drivers was something I was on the lookout for.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat
Focusrite Scarlett (pick one with as many inputs as you think you want) or an MOTU M2/M4 are super solid and sit right at the sweet spot of price and quality IMO.

I have a first gen Komplete Audio 6 and also a Scarlett 8i6 that I used on windows and they are great.

EDIT: Is it just a single keyboard track and a guitar input you are after? Acoustic with a mic or electric? Any other instruments? Synths? Vocals? Also, what operating system do you use?

havelock fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jun 30, 2022

lmbo calrissian
Feb 1, 2007

i'm into fashion
men are my passion
Dumb question but is the number of mic preamps the same as the number of inputs

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006

lmbo calrissian posted:

Dumb question but is the number of mic preamps the same as the number of inputs

Not always -- some interfaces will have preamps only on some of their inputs.

lmbo calrissian
Feb 1, 2007

i'm into fashion
men are my passion
Got it. and last dumb question. If i already have a behringer mixer with pre amps, I could buy an interface with just one input and miss out on absolutely nothing right?

I’m going for the u-phoria 1 input then since it’s $45 and I get to have a lil behringer family

last last question. does the u-phoria being USB-B contribute to latency lol. whereas scarlett is usb-c

lmbo calrissian fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jun 30, 2022

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006

lmbo calrissian posted:

Got it. and last dumb question. If i already have a behringer mixer with pre amps, I could buy an interface with just one input and miss out on absolutely nothing right?

Pretty sure yes, that should be fine -- using the pre-amps on the mixer and running the mixer into the input on the interface should replicate having an interface with more inputs.

I wouldn't imagine that an interface being USB-C would automatically give it much better latency performance than a USB-B interface -- the latter should still be fine, I think. Maybe it's more driver dependent than any difference between -C and -B, but I'm just speculating here. Maybe someone with hands on experience can weigh in.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

B or c are just form factors of the same thing. There's no difference. Maybe one is more likely to be usb3 than the other, but actually that doesn't make any difference either until you go into triple digit channel count. Latency is pretty much all driver dependent.

I also wanted to point out that inputs on audio interfaces are generally mono inputs when counted. If you want the stereo output of a mixer to go into the interface, that will take up two inputs in common parlance.

With the cheapest Behringer interfaces, make sure to look on their website whether there is an actual current asio driver available for it for download if you're on Windows. For a while they didn't have one and would redirect you to asio4all on some models, which imo isn't equivalent if you're spending money on it.

lmbo calrissian
Feb 1, 2007

i'm into fashion
men are my passion

Flipperwaldt posted:

B or c are just form factors of the same thing. There's no difference. Maybe one is more likely to be usb3 than the other, but actually that doesn't make any difference either until you go into triple digit channel count. Latency is pretty much all driver dependent.

I also wanted to point out that inputs on audio interfaces are generally mono inputs when counted. If you want the stereo output of a mixer to go into the interface, that will take up two inputs in common parlance.

With the cheapest Behringer interfaces, make sure to look on their website whether there is an actual current asio driver available for it for download if you're on Windows. For a while they didn't have one and would redirect you to asio4all on some models, which imo isn't equivalent if you're spending money on it.

Hold up. I use mac. Does mac require drivers?
moreover its like the newest mac. silicon chip and the newest os

anyone know?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

lmbo calrissian posted:

Hold up. I use mac. Does mac require drivers?
moreover its like the newest mac. silicon chip and the newest os

anyone know?
I've only ever heard of it being a windows issue. Afaik on mac there's solid OS level low latency generic audio device support built in that covers things if there's no driver. Core audio? Something like that.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Yep, CoreAudio would be my first choice on a Mac. If there’s a particular function that isn’t working, you can try the manufacturer’s drivers, but I didn’t need to install any for the Behringer, PreSonus or Steinberg I run now. Some drivers use kernel extensions, which won’t be supported much longer. I wouldn’t worry too much about it though.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
I've been happy with stuff I've gotten from the Focusrite/Novation B-stock outlet, including my current 4i4. Loopback (4i4 and larger) is a nice feature if you think you might be doing anything a bit more "live" although it may be less important on a Mac. Seems like the kind of thing an OS with non-shitass audio could handle without any other help.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

B-stock is a good shout. I got my interfaces from a pawn shop and some craigslist equivalent. Heavily reduced because they were lacking packaging, some quick start guide and a standard-rear end usb cable. Maybe a code for some software I wasn't going to use. It's not like these things wear out excessively. Can't hurt to peep around what some 'wasn't the hobby for me' guy wants to get rid of.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

So fell down a weird rabbit hole

Why does Sweetwater, an almost entirely online music store, also have like a 10 acre "campus" and show room, and why did they pick fort Wayne, Indiana as the location?

Apparently this campus was a big new addition? For an almost entirely online business

Fort Wayne is like a 2 hour drive from the next biggest "city" just doesn't seem like a good investment. They are 2+ hours from Indianapolis, Detroit, Chicago and I guess Toledo and fort Wayne itself is barely 200k people

I'm from Texas so I'm used to driving a long distance but just, why? I can't see the business case for it :psyduck:

Maybe a long time customer can explain this to me. I called them up and they didn't have a super good answer for it either

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

The first line of the wikipedia sums it up nicely, imo:

quote:

Chuck Surack established the company in 1979 in Fort Wayne, Indiana so that he could stop being a touring musician.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Hadlock posted:

So fell down a weird rabbit hole

Why does Sweetwater, an almost entirely online music store, also have like a 10 acre "campus" and show room, and why did they pick fort Wayne, Indiana as the location?

Apparently this campus was a big new addition? For an almost entirely online business

Fort Wayne is like a 2 hour drive from the next biggest "city" just doesn't seem like a good investment. They are 2+ hours from Indianapolis, Detroit, Chicago and I guess Toledo and fort Wayne itself is barely 200k people

I'm from Texas so I'm used to driving a long distance but just, why? I can't see the business case for it :psyduck:

Maybe a long time customer can explain this to me. I called them up and they didn't have a super good answer for it either
Same reason they'll never just send you an actual quote that you can order online, and they always ask you to call them on the phone