Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
Pillbug

n0tqu1tesane posted:

I had one of those dreams within the last year. I've been out of school for over 15 years at this point.

Actually, it was a bit worse. It was "it's midterms and I haven't attended class all semester."

For me it's I signed up for a class but never attended and now the final is tomorrow. Or somehow I am in college but never finished high school so I need to go back for a semester.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

ptier posted:

For me it's I signed up for a class but never attended and now the final is tomorrow. Or somehow I am in college but never finished high school so I need to go back for a semester.

Had this, plus that I’ve somehow been recalled to Navy active duty and I’m wandering around base in a ill-fitting, unhemmed set of dress whites with all my rank patches and ribbons in one hand and my orders in the other and I’m trying to find a) the base tailor to get my uniform fixed and b) the Personnel department so I can explain that I’m an old fat man who likes weed and there’s been a horrible mistake

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
Woke up this morning to a core router making GBS threads chipset errors into the log buffer. :shepface:

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Found several of our applications dying this morning. Turned out a dependency that has been degredated 2 years ago was finally decomissioned on the 1st of this month.

We’ve been urging all our users (and in several cases holding their hand) to migrate to a newer version for roughly a year and stopped supporting that setup 1st of January this year.

Apparently not everyone got the memo which resulted into multiple production outages. Luckily there’s a bible sized paper trail going up to the CIO, otherwise I wouldn’t have heard the end of it.

It was extremely satisfying to tell the PO who came in shouting at my team and demanding how this major gently caress that he was on the hook for ignoring a metric fuckton of warnings.

He’ll probably turn it around and blame us for not monitoring his services so he couldn’t have known his app was missing data for the past 2 weeks. Luckily our service description clearly states who’s responsible for what.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

ptier posted:

It took so long to stop having dreams about having to go back and finish my degree (high school or college, pick one), even though I'm a grown rear end adult with a house and a job.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

ptier posted:

I graduated college in 1994 and I still get the dream about the class I signed up for but forgot about. Now sometimes the dream includes that I have to live in a dorm again to finish it.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Someone is having a very bad day.

ihafarm
Aug 12, 2004

Zil posted:

I’ll never second guess my decision to label, remove and transport drives separately from an array. I was considering using a contractor for an upcoming array relo, but not now!

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Zil posted:

Having recently been burned by a storage array failure with massive data loss, I choose to see the photo as the last step in recovery from a bad day.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

Cyks posted:

Today was a first time experience turning down a job offer which was even more difficult as I’m not employed and only one other lead atm...

So after feeling like I bombed the interview for the one other lead I had last Thursday and beating myself up over it for the past five days, I got a call late this afternoon scheduling a second round interview, this time with HR. Trying not to get too excited but the first was with the hiring manager, so I'm taking this as a very good sign! $20k more than the one I turned down and it's doing exactly what I want to do.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k

Zil posted:

The cloud solves this

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

CLAM DOWN posted:

IT normies rise up

So what you're saying is you don't have an excuse for why you are like this?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

drat he got you there, lol

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Depending on the age of an array and how close it is to being replaced anyway there could be an argument for just buying a new one and replicating the data over to it (assuming the connectivity allows for this). Moving locations costs a fortune anyway, the IT costs are pretty tiny in comparison.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
Found out I got passed over for a promotion today, which fine whatever. I actually interviewed the person they picked at another company a few years ago and liked him but also know I have a way more managerial/consulting experience but I could see it. Good dude

Then I was given feedback that I wasn’t selected because I don’t attend the person I’d be reporting to’s weekly meetings, because according to this guy it’s for our ‘azure practice’ and not just his reports. It’s a meeting with no description I attended twice that was a status meeting that seemed utterly useless to me because my escalation path lies elsewhere. Some director is going to call me to discuss ‘other feedback’ but before they tried to kinda backtrack my manager told me I was #1 in most of the categories they evaluated us on so lol (edit they’re calling me because I got insanely pissed off over the feedback and said I was going to quit over it)

I have a final interview with another company tomorrow and if I get the offer I’m considering accepting even though I’m not totally sold because I am a spiteful douchebag

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Sepist posted:

The cloud solves this

I have some bad news for you.
That was the cloud.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
Nah, it's just a big drop FROM the cloud.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Cloudy to partly cloudy.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

GreenNight posted:

Cloudy to partly cloudy.

If the industry ever leaves the cloud and goes back to on-prem, that would be a terrific consultant company slogan.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

That's what I tell our execs if they ask if we're in the cloud. I say we're partly cloudy.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Well if you are not chosen, they should give a reason why. Usually the reason why , isn’t something they want to tell you.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Wizard of the Deep posted:

Nah, it's just a big drop FROM the cloud.

OH! is THAT dropbox?

explains a lot frankly

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

i am a moron posted:

I have a final interview with another company tomorrow and if I get the offer I’m considering accepting even though I’m not totally sold because I am a spiteful douchebag

Not getting honest feedback or being passed over for promotion due to favoritism are individual reasons to seek employment elsewhere, let alone both. Wouldn’t call that spiteful.

They told you you’re actually the better performer but got passed over due to not attending an arbitrary meeting from some random director you have nothing to do with. What did they expect to happen, you saying “oh yeah that’s totally reasonable now, I completely understand!”?

I’d probably stop doing any meaningful work and just phone it in and get a different job. If I can’t trust you, I’m not working for you.

Doesn’t make you spiteful. What would make you spiteful is doing the former but not quitting and string your current job along as long as you can as 2nd pay check.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
I think my manager is being honest - he said I was everyone who interviewed me’s #1 in most categories (we had like 20 applicants for the position) and said they’d be opening up more spots and I should apply for the next one. Getting passed over again may be a different story, hard to say. But on its face not some devastating professional setback. Our director may call me today with something more honest, I just think it will be trying to smooth it over and remind me he fought to get me six figures of equity at the beginning of the year.

The problem for me is the reason they gave me is terrible, and I was extremely honest that I wouldn’t even want to work for this guy at this point. He didn’t interview me (I have no idea why this is the process) but was able to nix me over some thing the other interviewers wouldn’t have been aware of. And he isn’t a director, he’s my current managers peer. If you have a problem with me not attending a meeting, maybe say something? I don’t work for you so you better make it worth my time, we’re loving consultants and I can’t bill it. I met with this dude for like an hour before we did the other interviews and he never mentioned it. The other thing though is I kinda loving don’t like him and got the impression he was a little dictator even before this. So I dunno. Everything has been crazy good here right up to now.

LochNessMonster posted:

Doesn’t make you spiteful. What would make you spiteful is doing the former but not quitting and string your current job along as long as you can as 2nd pay check.

Yea I’m a bit hot headed and get emotional but I don’t burn bridges at least. I do think moving to a potentially inferior company confused about the position they’re interviewing me for because I’m mad about a nonpromotion would be spiteful just… maybe not in the direction I hoped

i am a moron fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Jun 15, 2022

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I am applying for an internal transfer which is about 70% technical and 30% management. Would a functional resume be most appropriate for this or should I go with chronological. Trying to come up with a good objective statement at the top that kind of summarizes my career goals and emphasizes I have experience in both public and private IT operations.

Also, I point blank asked the hiring manager if there was any flexibility on the pay range listed since I'm making about 2k more than the max. It sounded like there was some flexibility there "for the right candidate". I hope I wasn't being too forward, but I felt like it was an appropriate question to ask and I feel we have a good relationship. I didn't want to waste either of our times going through an interview process only to have to look at a pay cut. I'm currently on a "temporary" 10% adjustment to my pay so this would still be a pay raise if that wasn't a thing.

I figure 11+ years of professional experience qualifies me for a management position at least.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
Management is a lot of soft skills that don't carry over from non-management experience. I spend a lot of my time just talking with my reports making sure they're being treated fairly, making sure everyone's voice is heard, and also mediating discussion between departments.

I know plenty of people who are experts in their field and have been denied management roles

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

Yep management is it’s own thing. Your priorities change too. That being said, being a frontline manager to technical folks it is helpful/the only way you can be good at managing if you understand what their job entails and how to guide them to the right resources/solutions/thought processes.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

i am a moron posted:

Yep management is it’s own thing. Your priorities change too. That being said, being a frontline manager to technical folks it is helpful/the only way you can be good at managing if you understand what their job entails and how to guide them to the right resources/solutions/thought processes.

I think my general attitude is that a manager should be involved yet trusting of their workers. Based on what I've heard, this position is basically an escalation point for a team of three. I certainly want to emphasize that I'd be a facilitator and not a tyrant if I were to interview for this job.

Sepist posted:

Management is a lot of soft skills that don't carry over from non-management experience. I spend a lot of my time just talking with my reports making sure they're being treated fairly, making sure everyone's voice is heard, and also mediating discussion between departments.

I know plenty of people who are experts in their field and have been denied management roles

I think this is a good point. One of my strengths is my good interpersonal skills and conflict management abilities. I do want to add a couple points about that on my resume, but that's probably going to be something I would expound on during the interview.

The main area of concern for me is that I don't have any experience directly managing people. I've managed projects and worked with people in other groups, so I'm going to try and emphasize that.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

I’d say if the split is 30 management/70 technical that sounds right since you’ll have to be involved. ‘Pure’ management roles can be tricky cause you really don’t want to or shouldn’t get involved at all unless you’re poo poo shielding or escalating to upper management, and that can be really hard for technical folks

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

On the other end of things, I'm looking to leave management after about 12 years of managing at least one other person (currently have a team of 6). I can do it, I suppose I've been successful at it since they kept me around in the position and I've managed to keep teams around, but I'm burnt out with it.

It was mostly a means to an end, putting me into positions that would later lead to the area of the company that I would want to work (my management roles have also always been heavily technical as well). I really don't like dealing with interpersonal conflict though and I'm really not comfortable during the employee review process since I've never been great at expressing a wide range of nuance when evaluating things. Does the job get done and you collaborate with your coworkers? Great. I'm happy. There's also the level of disillusionment in that they put all these tools in your hands to make your employees grow and reward them, but the whole system around using them is designed to not let that happen routinely. To be clear, I'm happy enough with the company itself, but a lot of the review and evaluation process just seems like busy work when higher C Levels can and do routinely override your compensation changes you submit for your team.

An internal role has opened up on the same general team that I'm working in now (just one that didn't report to me) and I've been told by the hiring manager (who is also my current boss) that I have the position, we just have to wait for all of the proper HR processes to be followed. As long as things don't go horribly awry in the next week or so, I should be making the move from managing an engineering team to being the cloud architect for the same group. So I still get to lead, just only the technical direction, with all my same coworkers, without any of the management overhead.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

How do y'all fill out your resume with your management experience? I'm looking to jump after my first foray into management but I'm not getting as many bites as I'd like. I feel like this job's bullet points are so radically different from my others that its kinda throwing me off.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

How do you deal with interns?

They aren't mine. They're someone else's. But, they get projects related to our work.

I help. Get them setup with accounts, show them how to get on the servers, etc.

The last one I dealt with a few years back was supposed to make a program that let us pull data from a certain machine. He asked for help, he "knew Python" so I gave him some Python code for accessing the machine over the serial port. I even ordered him a USB to serial cable and set him up with a laptop just for this project.

Then he asked how to make a user interface. I spent two hours with him going over PyTK or whatever it's called. Literally make some buttons, click the button and query the machine, take the resulting string and stick it in a freakin' database.

Then he started checking up on me every day asking "how the project was going". I gave him a little more code, figuring he could knock this out in a week. I basically wrote the whole thing, but never gave it to him. I stopped because I'd have to hear how this great intern wrote this program....after he left I gave it to his supervisor.

Little fucker works at Apple now.

This one we have now is supposed to be working on workload visualization for our cluster. She's a "data science" person. AKA clueless person who can spell Python.

She spent her first week attempting to install Xdmod (https://open.xdmod.org/7.5/index.html), from source, in her loving home directory. She never claimed to be a Linux admin so once we figured out what she was trying to do, we spun a new server up and I installed it for her (not a simple piece of software btw).

Now she's asking for data. Showed her where it all lives and how to access all the different metrics. Problem is, she wants other data. It's not there. Can't be. It's system-based not process-based. Her supervisor doesn't understand that. Had to explain that to them like 3 times so far. We could get it, but not the way we are doing it right now.

They have a couple weeks left, so I think after she's gone I'm going to just hook Grafana up, that's a project I wanted to do from the start, someone tried to do it a few years ago, server is still up, but we didn't have the right data collection going on back then. I've only been here like 3 months so I don't know.

I just don't want to give up any big projects to other people because I need a little portfolio of stuff I've done here so I can get hired in.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

George H.W. oval office posted:

How do y'all fill out your resume with your management experience? I'm looking to jump after my first foray into management but I'm not getting as many bites as I'd like. I feel like this job's bullet points are so radically different from my others that its kinda throwing me off.

Metrics, number of reports, P/L results (might not apply), # of teams managed, # of re-orgs endured, make sure to mention all the normal management scope stuff (was I a hiring manager, handle terms, etc.). I have found external management positions are way harder to attain due to the number of available positions, what your team would be doing (cloud vs whatever else for me), and the pay can be surprisingly lovely

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I figured some of you would enjoy this thread. It's about IE being end of support officially today in Windows 10.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4004536

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Bob Morales posted:

How do you deal with interns?

They aren't mine. They're someone else's. But, they get projects related to our work.

I help. Get them setup with accounts, show them how to get on the servers, etc.

The last one I dealt with a few years back was supposed to make a program that let us pull data from a certain machine. He asked for help, he "knew Python" so I gave him some Python code for accessing the machine over the serial port. I even ordered him a USB to serial cable and set him up with a laptop just for this project.

Then he asked how to make a user interface. I spent two hours with him going over PyTK or whatever it's called. Literally make some buttons, click the button and query the machine, take the resulting string and stick it in a freakin' database.

Then he started checking up on me every day asking "how the project was going". I gave him a little more code, figuring he could knock this out in a week. I basically wrote the whole thing, but never gave it to him. I stopped because I'd have to hear how this great intern wrote this program....after he left I gave it to his supervisor.

Little fucker works at Apple now.

This one we have now is supposed to be working on workload visualization for our cluster. She's a "data science" person. AKA clueless person who can spell Python.

She spent her first week attempting to install Xdmod (https://open.xdmod.org/7.5/index.html), from source, in her loving home directory. She never claimed to be a Linux admin so once we figured out what she was trying to do, we spun a new server up and I installed it for her (not a simple piece of software btw).

Now she's asking for data. Showed her where it all lives and how to access all the different metrics. Problem is, she wants other data. It's not there. Can't be. It's system-based not process-based. Her supervisor doesn't understand that. Had to explain that to them like 3 times so far. We could get it, but not the way we are doing it right now.

They have a couple weeks left, so I think after she's gone I'm going to just hook Grafana up, that's a project I wanted to do from the start, someone tried to do it a few years ago, server is still up, but we didn't have the right data collection going on back then. I've only been here like 3 months so I don't know.

I just don't want to give up any big projects to other people because I need a little portfolio of stuff I've done here so I can get hired in.

Interns are supposed to be learning stuff, they're not supposed to be baby employees. But these are also not your interns. In general, I am extremely supportive of interns and am always happy to lend a hand or teach them something -- but these aren't your interns, and there's a limit to how much time I can spend teaching other people's interns instead of doing my actual job. Their supervisor should be helping them with this stuff.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

i am a moron posted:

‘Pure’ management roles can be tricky cause you really don’t want to or shouldn’t get involved at all unless you’re poo poo shielding or escalating to upper management, and that can be really hard for technical folks

I have a friend showing great interest in leadership/management positions and we have definitely had a few chats where I make sure he's aware of exactly this thing. If he makes the jump he should leave all the tech behind.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

ChubbyThePhat posted:

I have a friend showing great interest in leadership/management positions and we have definitely had a few chats where I make sure he's aware of exactly this thing. If he makes the jump he should leave all the tech behind.

I can't wait to leave all the tech behind. I've gotten too old for that stuff. If I want to tinker with something, I'll do it as a hobby.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

I have the same problem as you re: needing a bigger portfolio to fill out the resume. I was just laughing over how the first intern parlayed the opportunity into not really doing any work and trampolining into Apple.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
The worst kind of manager is one who wasn't very good at the technical side before they became a manager but still acts like they should have final say in technical decisions and constantly makes bad ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

They could even have been fine with technical stuff, but just completely failed to keep up with two years of developments and refuse to listen to their reports