Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

Scruff McGruff posted:

Yeah, this is the stuff I love in the game. Give me more weird planes that you'd never be able to actually get to fly in real life. Give me more Seaplanes so I can land in all sorts of weird places like the Bush Planes. Give me the fun stuff like Top Gun challenges and the Pelican. Heck, even in the tubeliner stuff can be cool, give me an a380, give me an An-225, give me a DH.106. The 747 in the game is basically the only liner I've put any significant time into because it's iconic (I also like Steadiman's analog 747 idea). I think they've actually been doing a good job releasing stuff that's interesting and gets folks like me to pick the game back up every couple of months, I'm definitely going to try out the Spirit of St. Louis and the Wright flyer.

Obviously it's a hard balance to both attract more a more casual audience and make the core flight-sim folks happy since that community consists largely of the tube-liner guys, and I don't want to say that the stuff they enjoy isn't important, it's just not for me and I think the third-party devs do a good job of getting that stuff built.

Also, definitely agree that the game should incorporate something like Neofly into the game. That hugely extended the interest for me and got me flying a number of planes I probably wouldn't have otherwise. The Caravan turned out to be a lot of fun.

Yeah, I would love to see more "interesting" planes... like, analog 747 would be neat, smaller stuff (like bizjets), whatever. The Grumman Goose free plane is really fun, I'd love a Catalina so I can roleplay WW2 recon flights over the Pacific. Gliders are going to be interesting.

Of course you can still make your own fun too. The Xbox version is really great for this. You know those high dev Apple TV screensavers where they fly over cool places? I have been recreating some of those on the Xbox with my spouse watching. Pick an easy to fly plane (e.g. 172), put it on exterior camera, fly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
I'm honestly really excited for helicopters simply because it'll be easier to tour the handmade cities and see details and hover more over POI's. I realize you can do that with the drone cam and stuff but I'd rather just still be flying.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
If we're going to have science fiction planes then it would be good to have a straight-up big bubble canopy UFO that can hover in place and move sideways and accelerate to Mach 10 or whatever. Basically a flyable drone cam for people who don't want to bother with all that nerdy trimming and minimum air speed nonsense, I think that it would appeal to a lot of casual people on Game Pass.

Then they glance at the flight training tutorials out of curiosity and start puttering around in a 152 and before they know it they're flying IFR flight plans on VATSIM :unsmigghh:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Sapozhnik posted:

If we're going to have science fiction planes then it would be good to have a straight-up big bubble canopy UFO that can hover in place and move sideways and accelerate to Mach 10 or whatever. Basically a flyable drone cam for people who don't want to bother with all that nerdy trimming and minimum air speed nonsense, I think that it would appeal to a lot of casual people on Game Pass.

Then they glance at the flight training tutorials out of curiosity and start puttering around in a 152 and before they know it they're flying IFR flight plans on VATSIM :unsmigghh:

*Registers for VATSIM*

Wait why are you frowning

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

That Works posted:

*Registers for VATSIM*

Wait why are you frowning

I hope you used your real, legal name to do so on this public internet service operated by god-knows-what bunch of boomers or you are a very bad (wo)man

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Sapozhnik posted:

I hope you used your real, legal name to do so on this public internet service operated by god-knows-what bunch of boomers or you are a very bad (wo)man

Lt.Col Deez Nuts USMC ret. is ready to sim.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Sapozhnik posted:

*PMDG HAS ENTERED THE CHAT*

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens
That Halo ship is really neat in VR honestly. The transition from flight to hover is a bit abrupt, and taking off in hover kinda seems to launch you once you cross 77% throttle or so, but it's super fun to fly. In VR you realize what a big ship it actually is too. Also like the little touches like being able to open the doors. Kind of weird almost none of the buttons are labeled, so it's easy to miss where the de-ice or fuel cutoff switches are (fun to discover at 30.000ft when you're experimenting with what buttons do and you're suddenly left to wonder why the ground is coming at you).

I noticed a cd player in the cockpit with a stop and start button you can push but it doesn't seem to do anything, anyone know if you can play your own music or something through that?

FebrezeNinja
Nov 22, 2007

Steadiman posted:

I noticed a cd player in the cockpit with a stop and start button you can push but it doesn't seem to do anything, anyone know if you can play your own music or something through that?

It's supposed to do one specific thing, I think: https://streamable.com/fy8oeg
No idea why yours doesn't work.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Maybe you muted the menu muzak that the interminably long loading screens play and the CD player uses that same volume setting

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I want an update so that the ATC can provide PAR approaches. It just occurred to me I'll likely never get to do one in real life, and I think it'd be neat.

Also... radio range navigation, for the retro stuff they want to include in new updates. Let's go all the way, baby!

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens

Sapozhnik posted:

Maybe you muted the menu muzak that the interminably long loading screens play and the CD player uses that same volume setting

Well that explains it. Not really worth turning the music back on for but still neat

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
I'm trying to dick around in the FA18. How high / far should I be able to fly? It's max altitude is shown on the plane select thing as 45k, but even under max military power the best I can get is +500fpm of climb after about 25k of altitude. I tried inching my way up, but it inevitably stalls and plummets to the earth before I even get to the mid 30s. The center MFD is telling me that my max range is achievable at ~39k altitude, but there seems to be no way it's getting up there.

Any other high flying / ice poo poo I need to dick with aside from the two anti-ice switches right here?

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
What’s your climb profile? Fighter jets need to climb fast. Try 400 kts until M0.85 in MIL thrust.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

INTJ Mastermind posted:

What’s your climb profile? Fighter jets need to climb fast. Try 400 kts until M0.85 in MIL thrust.

This.

The climb schedule I'm finding for the F-18 is somewhere from 350-360kts in military power, then transitioning to about .81 Mach once the airspeed and mach number intersect (I'm not sure what the Super Hornet specific numbers are) up to whatever your cruise altitude is.

If you're climbing too steeply, you'll end up on the back side of the power curve, and be in a situation where the engines struggle to produce enough thrust to overcome the drag that the wings and airframe are producing at that angle of attack.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
That's what I ran into with the top gun plane. The thing told me to accelerate to mach 3 but I couldn't get past 1.5. then I did that dive thing again and followed the profile better and went to mach 3 pretty easily.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Less arcade and more simulator in my Microsoft flight simulator please.

I do like the older vintage planes and mission based stuff, that’s neat. Analog gauges seems like something people will waste time with once and not worth it if you don’t like the aircraft already.

I think there’s a casual and advanced balance that’s possible but I’m glad folks are having fun with it.

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

What kind of settings are people using in VR for FS2020? I have a high end system and tried the Maverick high speed low alt missions and really struggled with framerate with pretty much all options on low. Using a Q2 and 100% resolution @ 72hz. Maybe I need to force a lower frame rate lock or something.

VR really makes that cockpit feel tiny!

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

I am cautiously optimistic about the upcoming gliders.

I tried to be a proper glider pilot a while back but incurable nausea and COVID cut that plan short.

I've seen that ridge soaring should be possible based on trailers I saw, and if they get both ridge soaring and something approaching reasonably accurate thermals and cloud updrafts I will be a very happy camper.

Sebastian Flyte
Jun 27, 2003

Golly

AzureSkys posted:

What kind of settings are people using in VR for FS2020? I have a high end system and tried the Maverick high speed low alt missions and really struggled with framerate with pretty much all options on low. Using a Q2 and 100% resolution @ 72hz. Maybe I need to force a lower frame rate lock or something.

I have a Quest 2 and a 3080, and with mostly medium settings I can just about manage 35-40 fps in most places, with some render scaling and FFR set in the OpenXR toolkit.

Also, if you're at very low altitude or on the ground the US, and have downloaded some of the non-US world updates, there's a weird issue where the photogrammetry from those updates can cause your fps to tank a lot. Strangely not an issue when you're flying low in other parts of the world, for some reason. You can either delete the photogrammetry packs individually from the content manager or move the "fs-base-coverage-map-*" folders out of your official packages folder, and move them back when you want to gawk at photogrammetry cities.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
New United States World Update

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBwP4NlG61c

Glad to see Los Angeles getting touched up.

And legend planes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cZkYgwKjZg

soggybagel fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jun 14, 2022

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

That's the good stuff.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

The people who do their world update trailers are really good at their job.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
I wonder how they choose what landmarks to update. Split Rock in northern minnesota surprised me.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Bok Tower is a pretty deep cut.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

The wizard who lives there finally getting some recognition for his fancy tower.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Added new runway 09C/27C at KORD

Finally!

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

soggybagel posted:

New United States World Update

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBwP4NlG61c

Glad to see Los Angeles getting touched up.

And legend planes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cZkYgwKjZg
I get why they do it but I do wish they expanded outside the US/Europe - Japan and Australia were the only world updates that weren't one of these two so far right?

Like Southeast Asia or South America or something - though maybe it's because it's difficult to get photogrammetry data there?

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
That's my understanding. I would love to see a South Korea update.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Just about the first thing my sister and I did after installing MSFS was take off from Wendover, Nevada to fly down I-80 and look for that Tree of Utah. We were disappointed that it wasn't there except for a black blotch on the ground.

Now it's there <3

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
The H135 that already exists is pretty fun to fly, but what I'm really hoping for out of the official helicopter update is solid buildings to land on, and the inclusion of registered heliports.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Bedurndurn posted:

I'm trying to dick around in the FA18. How high / far should I be able to fly? It's max altitude is shown on the plane select thing as 45k, but even under max military power the best I can get is +500fpm of climb after about 25k of altitude. I tried inching my way up, but it inevitably stalls and plummets to the earth before I even get to the mid 30s. The center MFD is telling me that my max range is achievable at ~39k altitude, but there seems to be no way it's getting up there.

Any other high flying / ice poo poo I need to dick with aside from the two anti-ice switches right here?

In addition to what the others said, are you.using the afterburners to get max power? Just as a sanity check? You gotta bind them to a key.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

soggybagel posted:

That's my understanding. I would love to see a South Korea update.

I've heard South Korea is really cagey about map data because they're worried North Korea might use it in a war scenario.

EDIT: ah yeah google tried fighting their national security law banning exporting map data to foreign companies

https://archive.ph/ZX718p posted:

At issue for Google is the South Korean law that blocks companies from exporting government-supplied map data, which it says it must do to offer features like driving directions, public transit information and satellite maps. Google says it has been requesting a license from the Ministry of Land, Infrastructure and Transport since 2008, without success.

Shipon fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jun 15, 2022

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

Gotta say I'm pretty pleased with the new update process.

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

Cojawfee posted:

That's what I ran into with the top gun plane. The thing told me to accelerate to mach 3 but I couldn't get past 1.5. then I did that dive thing again and followed the profile better and went to mach 3 pretty easily.

Yeah, I ran into this same problem, I was pulling out of the dive too steeply and couldn't get above M1.5 or so. Keeping the initial climb to 1.2-1.5G let me get up to M3 and then I could turn on the scramjet and it was go time. The fun thing is getting up so high that you see the edge of the circle where the sim draws clouds around you.

sellouts posted:

Less arcade and more simulator in my Microsoft flight simulator please.

I do like the older vintage planes and mission based stuff, that’s neat. Analog gauges seems like something people will waste time with once and not worth it if you don’t like the aircraft already.

I think there’s a casual and advanced balance that’s possible but I’m glad folks are having fun with it.

I see where you're coming from; I think of it as a tax. You need a bunch of arcadey/console users to prop up and provide funding to build in the more advanced sim features. Yes, they have a lot to do but Microsoft at least seems committed.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

Shipon posted:

I've heard South Korea is really cagey about map data because they're worried North Korea might use it in a war scenario.

EDIT: ah yeah google tried fighting their national security law banning exporting map data to foreign companies

Oh wow. I never knew that. Good to know.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

There are a bunch of countries that are heavily resistant to allowing Google street view or photogrammetry. Google has yet to make headway into the vast majority of Asia and Africa, and some parts of Europe are still resistant as well (such as Germany). Photogrammetry is an especially sticky issue for a lot of countries, it seems. In Asia, Google basically has Japan, Hong Kong, and Singapore. In Africa, they have only have photogrammetry in South Africa I think. Considering how far ahead of MS Google already is in this, I doubt we'll be seeing anything significant in these regions in MSFS anytime soon. Especially since MS does photogrammetry for Bing Maps first and foremost, with MSFS being secondary. I doubt Asobo can just go to MS to ask for a specific region and get it done, even though doing world updates for some regions could open up a whole new market for them. Imagine if they did a big India update or something and did a big marketing push there.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Jun 15, 2022

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
Okay the new world update trailer generically said “Los Angeles” but I just did a quick flyover and don’t really notice much if any of an update. Notably the area where Sofi stadium is which is right on the flight path for landing at LAX and located in Inglewood is still a dirt pit. And downtown didn’t seem that “good” or much different than I remembered.

Also I realize this isn’t super high priority but I really wish they’d figure out some sort of algorithm to identify what are palm trees. And I guess even have crude palm trees vs weird blob stumps where palm trees should be.

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

soggybagel posted:

Okay the new world update trailer generically said “Los Angeles” but I just did a quick flyover and don’t really notice much if any of an update. Notably the area where Sofi stadium is which is right on the flight path for landing at LAX and located in Inglewood is still a dirt pit. And downtown didn’t seem that “good” or much different than I remembered.

Also I realize this isn’t super high priority but I really wish they’d figure out some sort of algorithm to identify what are palm trees. And I guess even have crude palm trees vs weird blob stumps where palm trees should be.

Did you download the update? You have to manually download each world update from the marketplace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

kemikalkadet posted:

Did you download the update? You have to manually download each world update from the marketplace.

…Which I still don’t get. Like, if they want to keep install sizes down, that’s great but at least give us a prompt to install it? You actually have to go search the bastard out each time.