Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Were you playing big hand Harvey? Admittedly, in my few games with him playing this standalone I rarely managed to keep more than about six in hand but I figured I was just doing it wrong. He has a reputation for being pretty bad but I don't know if it's due to his weakness punishing the big hand archetype too much or whether people just find him uninteresting. I think he's pretty fun and strong right now and I can see myself taking him through a full campaign at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
I've played Harvey a bit and enjoyed doing shenanigans with Forbidden Tome and a 12-card hand. I wouldn't say that it's great, but it is good enough to be viable. You can cram a lot of card draw in a Seeker deck. And it's easy to soak the 2-4 damage from the weakness if you use the damage version of Forbidden Tome (I had one of each from Shrewd Analysis) and you pack some allies who you don't mind dying like Research Librarian.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Adventures through time is crazy, it requires a seizeless amount of movement even beyond edge of the earth stuff. And you better be able to kill wicked enemies pretty consistently.

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

The LIQUOR BOTTLES are out in full force.
MOM is surely nearby.
I've gotta sit down and really work the binders, but I had a vision this morning of a Daisy "Sling-Ring" Walker deck that uses archive of conduits, prophesiae profana, open gate, shortcut, pathfinder and as much dumb poo poo as you can think of to just let her teleport herself and everyone else around the map ad infinitum hoovering up clues and trivializing enemy spawns

Adding Gene Beauregard makes this even more broken, since you can leyline teleport into an enemy, dodge any attacks of opportunity for free, and shove them a room away like cyclopean hammer, but testless

It's a super expensive XP build but I think it can be done, and if you can fit a trip to war of the outer gods in, you can pick up pocket portal to make it even more broken

There's weird barricade stuff you can do with this, you can abuse the hell out of deciphered reality, there's like fifteen more insane tome techs you can fit in too

Basically, I'm gonna have a bunch of fun with Daisy soon

It probably needs forced learning to fit all the cards to set it up, pay for it, and recur bad losses, but I can see a bob Jenkins backup doing some heavy support there and I've wanted to mess with him too, so it's perfect

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

The curiosity is, will all those pieces work together over the scenarios it takes to assemble them?

Or you can play stand alone mode and find a way to get your weaknesses into your discard pile.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
As a long-time D&D 4E fan, a discussion about "playable builds" warms my heart and is one of the things that piqued my interest in AH.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Thoughts on the following Jacqueline Fine build?

https://arkhamdb.com/deck/view/2192185

(Available card pool: Revised Core, Dunwich, Starter Decks)

I'll likely be working with Winnie to hold down the clue-gathering side of things, with a Guardian in tow.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

CitizenKeen posted:

Thoughts on the following Jacqueline Fine build?

(Available card pool: Revised Core, Dunwich, Starter Decks)

I'll likely be working with Winnie to hold down the clue-gathering side of things, with a Guardian in tow.

You're missing Ward of Protection and Guts. Maybe a Flashlight or two for level 0 because you're not using your hand slots for much and it's guaranteed clues at Shroud 1 or 2 locations. Familiar Spirit and Arcane Studies aren't great. Delve Too Deep is a useful card if you're playing Dunwich and don't have access to either of the permanents that make Mystics able to efficiently upgrade their cards. Just hold onto it until everyone's ready to complete the last scenario or resign and fire it off.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
If you are playing with a 5 agility rogue I'd replace the evasion spell with Shriveling

You'd be able to drop the familiar spirit and just have one fight spell and one investigate spell out at all times.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Was browsing the MB Discord for ideas last night and this one made me laugh:

https://arkhamdb.com/deck/view/2163983

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Finally, a 18 asset deck!

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

LifeLynx posted:

You're missing Ward of Protection and Guts. Maybe a Flashlight or two for level 0 because you're not using your hand slots for much and it's guaranteed clues at Shroud 1 or 2 locations. Familiar Spirit and Arcane Studies aren't great. Delve Too Deep is a useful card if you're playing Dunwich and don't have access to either of the permanents that make Mystics able to efficiently upgrade their cards. Just hold onto it until everyone's ready to complete the last scenario or resign and fire it off.

My thought with Arcane Studies was that while it isn't great, Arcane Studies (4) is either +2 Book 1/turn when I'm investigating, or +2 Brain for spells and mythos when I'm not investigating.

LifeLynx posted:

don't have access to either of the permanents that make Mystics able to efficiently upgrade their cards
I suspect I don't, but for future reference that's Arcane Research and... ?

I was curious about Flashlights. I'll tinker some more. Thank you!

KPC_Mammon posted:

If you are playing with a 5 agility rogue I'd replace the evasion spell with Shriveling

You'd be able to drop the familiar spirit and just have one fight spell and one investigate spell out at all times.

Good points.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

CitizenKeen posted:

I suspect I don't, but for future reference that's Arcane Research and... ?

They might be referring to Down the Rabbit Hole from EotE.

You were planning to buy in as they release the old sets in the new big box model, right? When they re-release The Circle Undone you might have fun revisiting Jacqueline with these:

Sixth Sense

Sixth Sense (4)

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

CitizenKeen posted:

My thought with Arcane Studies was that while it isn't great, Arcane Studies (4) is either +2 Book 1/turn when I'm investigating, or +2 Brain for spells and mythos when I'm not investigating.

Unless you are using down the rabbit hole you can use a more useful card for now and upgrade it to Arcane Studies (4) later. You don't need the level 0 version.

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

MOM is surely nearby.
Working really diligently on this new setup, but let me just share one piece of it that blew my mind when I asked the mythos busters discord for advice:

Daisy can drop a barricade 3, use pocket telescope to investigate a connecting location, and then use shortcut as a fast action to move as if she was in the connecting location, which doesn't trigger barricade's "leave" clause

Now Bob, with an enchanted bow, and either Zoey or Mark (haven't decided yet) can sit inside, drawing every enemy outside the door and throw dynamite, grenades (with marksman) and snipe from safety

I'm already having a ton of fun and it's only gonna get better

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Going to have to explain that one to me, chief. I’m assuming it’s the “as if” and using shortcut mid investigation?

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

MOM is surely nearby.

CitizenKeen posted:

Going to have to explain that one to me, chief. I’m assuming it’s the “as if” and using shortcut mid investigation?

Yeah, the ruling on "as if" has been a tumultuous rules tangle, especially after Luke's release and all the edge cases that Gate Box ended up creating, so they published an official change to what "as if" covers in the FAQ

In essence, Daisy places the barricade, if she leaves the room it drops - but, pocket telescope allows her to investigate a connecting location as if she was in that room, which then lets you shortcut out of it as a fast action

She never moves out of the original room with the barricade, so the clause causing it to drop never triggers

Big brain rules people on the discord recommended and agreed with this, so I'll gladly use it until it gets errata'd again, because every change to the "as if" rules keeps saying "watch this paragraph for future changes, we know it's weird"

My original plan was using black market shenanigans so that Bob could play it out of Daisy's deck, so this is much, much smoother

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Huh. My group wants to try Circle Undone again right after finishing it up, and I’m planning to pivot from Joe Diamond to Ashcan Pete. That Sixth Sense card looks real good for him! In effect, it’s sort of like having extra free (as in doesn’t exhaust Duke) Duke investigates. Plus the added flexibility of being able to investigate off book or brain.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
The problem with the rules is that "as if" currently means that as long as that clause is in effect, you *are* at the other location, without having ever actually moved from the location you are "actually" in to the location you are "as if" in. Like, you might as well move the investigator card to the other location to help understand it, just don't treat that as a move in any way. Oh and you haven't actually "left" the location you are in.

Think like a quantum state and a card effect caring about location being an observation of that state. So if you "as if" into a location and then use "Shortcut" you can choose which of the two locatons is your origin location and move your "actual" investigator to any location which is a legal target given that origin. So your quantum state has changed from original ("actual" location A + "as if" location B) to ("as if" location B + "actual" location C). Then once the "as if" clause runs out, you stop being "as if" in location B and so you are now wholly and completely in location C, after having moved from location B to C, and thus never having moved from (or left) location A.

So there are a couple of types of fix here in my view:

1. Treat "as if" as basically creating a ghost-like copy of your investigator which can do all the things your actual character can do until the "as if" clause runs out. Think like a Starcraft 2 Protoss Adept unit using the shade ability and the ability being cancelled before the Adept merges into the shade (except it can also attack and block units in shade form). So if you "as if" into a location and then use "Shortcut" you are now "as if" in the other location (so you could investigate "as if" in a location two locations away if you could manage to Shortcut after the "as if" clause triggers but before the Investigate action begins. Or more realistically, Rex Murphy could investigate "as if" at one location, and then Shortcut into another location during the test and grab a clue in that location using his investigator ability if he succeeds by 2, all before snapping back to his original "actual" location when the "as if" clause runs out.

2. Treat "as if" as your investigator being in two locations simultaneously and the player being able to choose for each card effect which affect the game state which location they will treat their investigator as being in for that effect. So still quantum state. BUT anything relating to changing locations while the "as if" clause is active means you are considered to be leaving both locations, regardless of which one you select as your origin location.

3. If you are considered to be, for example "investigating as if" in a location, then you are not in any way shape or form actually at that location. You're just doing an investigation test there without being there. You can't select it as your origin location for Shortcut because you are not there. You didn't create a quantum state or a shade or ghost or any of that poo poo, you're just doing an investigate action at a place where you are not present.

It's all a bit non-euclidean.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Orange Devil posted:

It's all a bit non-euclidean.

Very on brand.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

I love when someone, in an attempt to make an explanation simpler, starts off with "think like a quantum state".

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Oh I wasn't trying to simplify so much as contrast with my alternative proposals. Also I think they should choose 3 for simplicity's sake though I think 1 is kind of neat.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

If Daisy can bullshit with barricade, that’s one less reason to bring Luke.

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

MOM is surely nearby.
There's also a backwards version she can do, where you pocket telescope to the target location that you want your barricade, play farsight and then play barricade as a fast action on the room you want to block off, so she never has to be there to begin with

In short, seekers are ridiculous

And so but then, no oh, someone needed to leave the barricade and break it down in a hurry? No problem, Bob set up a Shrine to Moirai and Daisy already set the locus of prophesiae profana to the ol' hideout, so she spends a free action to take a free action to get barricade and shortcut back out of her discard and we do it all over again

If no one has to leave, you just burn offerings to recur two dynamites and keep mowing down the ever-growing stack of very mad dudes right outside

postmodifier fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jun 15, 2022

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

The classic Barricade tech was In the Know out of Rex Murphy because he can efficiently clear locations with his ability. And these days you can keep it stocked with Ariadne's Twine.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

So I flipped through all of the encounter sets for Return to The Path to Carcosa to refresh my memory and holy poo poo at how much horror it throws at you. Almost every test hits your Willpower, too, and it's interesting that this is the last set to feature that kind of design. I guess it was in TFA that they moved to the 'modern' design where the encounter deck tests are split between Willpower and Agility, one hitting you for horror and the other damage. Though they did backslide a bit for TCU, reverting to mostly Willpower, but then Return to TCU replaced some of those cards with Agility ones again.

In any case, Intellect and Combat for clues and fighting, and Willpower and Agility for the encounter deck (broadly speaking) is a much better design that makes all of the stats feel like they have a good amount of value (with Intellect still being out in front, of course). Agility always had evasion, too, but expanding its relevance in the encounter deck feels like a natural fit, and the shift had the side benefit of helping Rogues out. But I assume that was part of their motivation in the first place since for the first few expansions Rogues had to work harder than the other classes to get anything done.

So I was going to take a Rogue through Carcosa as an enemy handler, with a slightly larger focus on clue gathering than I usually aim for, but then Carcosa also has quite a few beefy enemies so I can't skimp on firepower either. Sefina might be the best fit overall but I really want to do something with Wini and I have a few ideas on how I can make it work. Tony was really appealing for stuff like "Get Over Here!" or "Let me handle this!" and I know he's the best non-Guardian fighter in the game, but he really doesn't have a lot of options in the clue department.

I want to add a side scenario, too, and I was all set to tackle Machinations Through Time, but then it's so perfectly themed for TFA (even going so far as to have a few encounter cards from RtTFA) that I don't know if I can bring myself to do it. I might visit the Hotel instead and try to get the police sergeant, but he wouldn't have much synergy with either investigator. Thinking about him dealing six testless damage all at once to Yig in TFA is kind of funny, though. There aren't many other enemies in the game where you can get that kind of value!

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

The funny thing is, you call it modern but the Gathering already did that (albeit while also featuring a massive number of enemies), and arguably Midnight Masks also.

And then they seem to have just forgotten that Agility is a primarily defensive skill for a good two campaigns there. And then again for The Circle Undone.

Also, Tony has plenty of options in the clue department, just build him has Green/Yellow instead of Green/Blue. Here's a list I took through Edge of the Earth: https://arkhamdb.com/deck/view/2150169
I probably wouldn't take Easy Mark again if I'd play the same deck. Here's the lvl 0 version: https://arkhamdb.com/deck/view/2130955
The backpack lvl 0 wasn't great and would be better as another weapon instead. Depending on who you pair with you should also run You Handle This One. I was paired with Joe Diamond, so that got cut.

Orange Devil fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Jun 16, 2022

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Took the thread's advice (thank you), this is where my Jacqueline Fine deck for my first real campaign is:

Still no Ward of Protection or Delve Too Deep, but there are too many good cards to put them all in, I think.

(Card pool is RCore/Dunwich/Starters.)

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

CitizenKeen posted:

Took the thread's advice (thank you), this is where my Jacqueline Fine deck for my first real campaign is:

Still no Ward of Protection or Delve Too Deep, but there are too many good cards to put them all in, I think.

I'd replace hypnotic gaze with ward of protection. Gaze is really expensive for what it does, which tends to be less than what a ward can get done.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

KPC_Mammon posted:

I'd replace hypnotic gaze with ward of protection. Gaze is really expensive for what it does, which tends to be less than what a ward can get done.

Noted, thanks!

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

If you really want a Delve too Deep I think you can cut a Prescient or a Candles.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Are you suggesting to spend less on candles?

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

SelenicMartian posted:

Are you suggesting to spend less on candles?

Only if your family is dying.

nomadotto
Oct 25, 2010

Body of a Penguin
Soul of a Hero
Mind of a Lazy, Easily Distracted, Waste of Space

CitizenKeen posted:

If you're gonna get a deck tech, I'll follow suit. I have a Winnie deck here https://arkhamdb.com/deck/view/2188741 with the same card pool that will be played alongside the Jackie deck. The theory is to act as a pinch hitter on whatever needs doing, relying on Winnie's ability and opportunist to keep the cards rolling.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

nomadotto posted:

If you're gonna get a deck tech, I'll follow suit. I have a Winnie deck here https://arkhamdb.com/deck/view/2188741 with the same card pool that will be played alongside the Jackie deck. The theory is to act as a pinch hitter on whatever needs doing, relying on Winnie's ability and opportunist to keep the cards rolling.

Anything you think is with including in your deck is almost always worth including two of for consistency.

You definitely need double lock picks and double guns to make it easier to discard either when they are empty (cards aren't discarded automatically but playing a hand asset when your hands are full will duscard empty guns for your next shuffle).

Winnie needs some way to heal or soak sanity, she draws cards fast and can end up going insane as a result. Lonnie or booze can help with this.

Skip guts. You won't be passing any will checks.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Orange Devil posted:

Also, Tony has plenty of options in the clue department, just build him has Green/Yellow instead of Green/Blue. Here's a list I took through Edge of the Earth: https://arkhamdb.com/deck/view/2150169
I probably wouldn't take Easy Mark again if I'd play the same deck. Here's the lvl 0 version: https://arkhamdb.com/deck/view/2130955
The backpack lvl 0 wasn't great and would be better as another weapon instead. Depending on who you pair with you should also run You Handle This One. I was paired with Joe Diamond, so that got cut.

Ah, some of those yellow cards are already in the Seeker deck I had in mind for this one. This is kinda why I want a second playset for two-handed solo. I assume Deduction wasn't used without a Well Connected boost?

I like the Typewriter there as a good way to consume Tony's bonus action. Dario's pretty interesting, too, don't see him much. Him plus WC and the Sour Mash seems like some decent resilience against Willpower treacheries.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Well Connected was super important, yes. A lot of the time Deduction was committed to a Joe investigate action. You can also get an Intel Report and one or two other cards under Crystalizer and then play it off of those icon commits.

Dario is a bit of a pain to activate at lvl 0 but once you get Loan and lvl 2 Sure Gambles it gets very doable. Tended to function as an early fighter who then resource dumped into a bunch of clues later. Maybe a bit more setup required then I’d ideally like, but once set up surprisingly resilient to treachery cards, especially willpower tests.

Re the Winny deck: you realize the ability triggers off of any 2 committed cards, not just skills right? Some of those skills are not so hot, and you only got 2 assets to fight and 2 assets to investigate. Ask yourself what you will do if you start with neither of those, which is quite likely. If your cardpool permits, bring another weapon and definitely pack some Flashlights imo.

If you don’t have any non-garbage weapons I’d cut the Manual Dexterity’s for another Perception and Overpower and dump one Nimble and the Pickpocketing for Flashlights. Or pretend you have In the Thick of It and pack an XP weapon.

Orange Devil fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Jun 17, 2022

resting bort face
Jun 2, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
When folks on arkhamdb.com say a deck is good for "solo," do they mean literally one investigator or do they mean "one person playing two-, three-, or four-handed?"

Because I took several hours today to try https://arkhamdb.com/decklist/view/37358/akachi-ony-elemental-mage-beginner-deck-guide-series-1.0 and ate poo poo over and over and over again on the first two scenarios of Carcosa. The best run I could manage was 9 xp and 2 physical trauma.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
They mean true solo, one person playing one investigator. Of course they can just be wrong; nothing to stop a deck creator saying "there's an investigate card and a fight card in there, might as well give it the solo tag".

But also solo in this game is extremely hard and inconsistent; even the best solo decks are going to be really challenging to pilot and very vulnerable to just getting the wrong cards at the wrong times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
I would also say that the first scenario in Carcosa can be particularly brutal solo and Mystics can be a bit slow to set up. They tend to have expensive assets and not a whole lot of economy.