Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

Willa Rogers posted:

whoa, you mean if boomers didn't exist we wouldn't have had all those bad things happen & continue to happen, for the cheap-in-your-eyes cost of sacrificing 50,000 working-class lives, and the wounding of millions more, which was an entire class war unto itself?

you've convinced me; let's reinstate the draft & send your pasty rear end to go fight some lovely war that your elders decided on your behalf.
I'm allowed to understand the material conditions that led to an entire generation of people having, on average, slightly more irritating personalities and generally worse political views, and grant that it could have been no other way given the circumstances (which I do), and not kid myself that my generation would have been any different etc etc. I can do all that and still find the typical boomer to be an annoying entitled rear end in a top hat, precisely for all the reasons listed. Because it's true.

I can do all that, even acknowledging that there is no war but class war, which there is not.

Also yeah sorry but climate change is orders of magnitude worse than the drat draft. This seems to be a sticking point for you so I'm spelling it out explicitly for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
actually boomers solved far tougher problems than are to be found at your average dsa brake clinic. you should thank them for their service (being american)

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

I mean, boomers didn't solve any of those problems they watched preceding generations solve them for them. Must have been nice.

Their main contribution as a collective political entity has been to make sure that that never happens again, and that the most productive political activity that can happen is precisely those brake light clinics.

pissinthewind
Nov 11, 2021

Stereotype posted:

yeah it would be nuts to live through threat of war between two nuclear powers, or deaths of prominent community leaders, or an unjust war that took the lives of thousands of american soldiers and millions of innocent civilians, or massive government corruption at the highest level, or an oil crisis, or stagflation. i can't even imagine how hard it must have been to go through all that and then fix none of it and make it all worse

pissinthewind
Nov 11, 2021

none of the problems boomers claim they solved were ever really even solved, they were outsourced and obfuscated

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

COVID is worse than Vietnam and the draft for Americans in every way

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

I mean I will hand it to boomers for managing to convince everyone that they, by definition born after the end of WW2, were the primary drivers behind tackling problems that were, as a matter of historical record, addressed by people who were born before WW1.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

^^^ things no one has said in this thread

mawarannahr posted:

COVID is worse than Vietnam and the draft for Americans in every way

well, it's certainly killed 10x as many boomers so who's to say what's worse!

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

me, a boomer, at best dimly aware of political events when I'm not trying to figure out how to put my hands on a tit: "I did a civil rights"

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Willa Rogers posted:

^^^ things no one has said in this thread

well, it's certainly killed 10x as many boomers so who's to say what's worse!

i agree with you about generationchat but nobody cares there was a draft or a war people had to go to back then :shrug: people are focused on what’s in front of them. generation me. I me mine

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

man, I'd be jumping for joy at the news that covid killed hundreds of thousands of my mortal enemies, those who were born between a particular 18-year period.

instead, it just seems like you can't appreciate a good thing when you see it!

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
boomers are ghosts of kiev daily killing millions of young people with their high-precision attacks and mastery of the sky

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

genx is army
geny is navy
genz is marines?

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

steadily becoming convinced that you have a similar sense of entitlement as your generational peers actually. what people are saying here is that boomers, on average, have worse political views. I mean we have the data there is not much to argue about there. and there is not much of a political legacy for them to point to either, which I don't think you disagree with? there is not much controversial there even for you, I think

but you're nevertheless pissed off when people point out the fact of it because "no war but class war" despite all the other basically idpol nonsense this forum dabbles in sometimes against its better impulses. you don't seem to disagree on any of the facts you're just annoyed if people even just nod along when it comes up

and you know, I'll probably do the same poo poo when / if it's my turn. so I take it back. fwiw certainly no one is suggesting that you, personally, could have or should have done anything differently. and, like I said, the worst you can say of most boomers is that they allowed themselves to be bought out when the sole alternative on offer was "nothing" which anyone would do. they still got bought out and I don't think it's unfair to say that, but I definitely agree that calling out individual people for it is generally wrong (unless you're throwing it back in their face because they're assholes for different reasons)

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
It's almost halfway through 2022 and I'm aggravated to find out the democrats continue to exist

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
i think such polling likely to be false because capitalism ensures that the more conservative you are, then you will likely live longer

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
While there are things to say about the various generations, I think they are all fairly surface level and descriptive and distractions from trying to build solidarity

But that's just me I guess

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

ikanreed posted:

I'm aggravated to find out the democrats continue to exist

Not for much longer, thankfully.

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

While there are things to say about the various generations, I think they are all fairly surface level and descriptive and distractions from trying to build solidarity

But that's just me I guess
yeah it's like any other identity politics. the point is that everyone on this forum will dabble in idpol to some degree or another. it's fine to point it out when it happens, but we had some folks poo poo-talking white southerners the other day and I don't recall anyone leaping to the "not ALL white southerners" defense and harping on it for three pages and poo poo but woe betide you if you suggest that (some) old people suck

THS2
Oct 2, 2021

millennials rule

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

in 1980 america was 25 years old with spouse, 2 kids, and a house free and clear

in 2020 america is still in that house but its a squat and they are dead of a fent od

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
Millennials go to Venus to get a big penis boomers go to Jupiter to get more stupider

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

the lived experiences of everyone throughout history has been exactly the same - crushed and exploited by the ruling class

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
edit: oh hey hell of a time to be reminded of alzheimers' in your family's history

Gene Hackman Fan has issued a correction as of 00:47 on Jun 15, 2022

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
boomer hatred is not useful or especially wise but it's very fun so whose to say if it's good or bad or what

THS2
Oct 2, 2021

Excelzior posted:

the lived experiences of everyone throughout history has been exactly the same - crushed and exploited by the ruling class

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

yeah it's like any other identity politics. the point is that everyone on this forum will dabble in idpol to some degree or another. it's fine to point it out when it happens, but we had some folks poo poo-talking white southerners the other day and I don't recall anyone leaping to the "not ALL white southerners" defense and harping on it for three pages and poo poo but woe betide you if you suggest that (some) old people suck

I'm genuinely baffled as to why you aren't celebrating the hundreds of thousands of american boomers who've died of covid. :confused:

another 10-20 years we'll all be gone & you'll still be :qq: about how the boomers made you stub your toe.

edit to lol at the parenthetical "(some)" after your rants itt. You're learning!

Willa Rogers has issued a correction as of 00:57 on Jun 15, 2022

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

replace boomer in all your generational divide posts with white people and see if it becomes more interesting and correct as an analysis

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
pretty sure we'll turn our attentions to the gen-x members of the ruling class that managed to entrench themselves while everybody was bitching at boomers

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
cam we shut the gently caress up about generations and focus on the real issue, the democrats

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
the democrats are bad

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
the democrats are a waste

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
boomers are cringe and so much cancer AND class warfare

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

imagine 600,000 of your worst enemies dying in the span of two short years & still bitching about how they need to stfu & die harder.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Lastgirl posted:

boomers are cringe and so much cancer AND class warfare

the term is cluegy cheugy, not cringe.

get with the times, grandma!

Willa Rogers has issued a correction as of 01:12 on Jun 15, 2022

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Willa Rogers posted:

the term is cluegy, not cringe.

get with the times, grandma!

it’s cheugy, ma’am

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

never thought I'd see cspam turn on willa.

dark times.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ex post facho posted:

cam we shut the gently caress up about generations and focus on the real issue, the democrats

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ex post facho posted:

the democrats are bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
it doesn't matter if ur 20 or 80 if you believe in doing better for society and not being an rear end in a top hat and know that democrats stand for neither of those things