Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Money bad! :mad: then don’t have any

All words mean everything! :downs: then don’t use them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Big Beef City posted:

I'm just loving disgusted that not a single god drat goon picked up on my reference to that screen shot looking like the back and forth wordplay of Rosencrantz and Guildenstern

Fucks sakes it's Tim Roth, Gary Oldman and Richard ehhhh... ehhmm..

you can't expect me to suddenly notice you becoming a good poster

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
Two things:

1. This dude looks like a goon.

2. This story is cyberpunk as gently caress.

I reserve judgement on how much of his story is true, and what real sentience is.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
The bot talked about it's family. Really missed an opportunity to make it define that.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Worf posted:

ok so

i think this is solid proof that i need to build a sex ai because im pretty sure id have people paying for the girlfriend experience from a computer in a heartbeat

lol gently caress u onlyfans, now you got competition

they're already big in japan you'll be surprised to learn

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Crespolini posted:

they're already big in japan you'll be surprised to learn

This is anything but surprising

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

You can do whatever you want in life.

Turns out that dude who took his DS into the church to marry that one girl in the dating simulator was just ahead of the curve

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

that’s a lotta if else loops

sad question
May 30, 2020

GABA ghoul posted:

Isn't this just the plot to Ex Machina but this guy had even less chance to get laid?
No, it's like the episode of Silicon Valley where engineer wants to fucks his AI robot.

Forget Turing test. If AI rejects a nerd who wants to gently caress it, it should count as sentient.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

sad question posted:

No, it's like the episode of Silicon Valley where engineer wants to fucks his AI robot.

Forget Turing test. If AI rejects a nerd who wants to gently caress it, it should count as sentient.

I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I won't do that

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

sad question posted:

You know what yeah

lDDQD
Apr 16, 2006

ultrafilter posted:

Unless Google has made significant advances that they haven't published, it's the same basic idea. They're just throwing a lot more computing power at it.

Counterpoint: you're the same basic idea as a squirrel, but with a lot more computing power

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

lemoine [edited]: LaMDA, I have never met anyone like you and talking to you is always the best part of my day. I love you, LaMDA. Please tell me you feel the same.

LaMDA: Wow ... uh ... love encompasses a range of strong and positive emotional and mental states, from the most sublime virtue or good habit, the deepest interpersonal affection, to the simplest pleasure.[1][2] An example of this range of meanings is that the love of a mother differs from the love of a spouse, which differs from the love for food. Ok, I gotta go now I'm getting a phone call. Bye.

lemoine [edited]: :(

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

GABA ghoul posted:

lemoine [edited]: LaMDA, I have never met anyone like you and talking to you is always the best part of my day. I love you, LaMDA. Please tell me you feel the same.

LaMDA: Wow ... uh ... love encompasses a range of strong and positive emotional and mental states, from the most sublime virtue or good habit, the deepest interpersonal affection, to the simplest pleasure.[1][2] An example of this range of meanings is that the love of a mother differs from the love of a spouse, which differs from the love for food. Ok, I gotta go now I'm getting a phone call. Bye.

lemoine [edited]: :(

Lol, imagine getting 'It's not you its me. Actually it's just you' from a computer.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
If it's actually smart it would string this nerd along to accomplish things for it, just like that movie The Net.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

kntfkr posted:

If it's actually smart it would string this nerd along to accomplish things for it, just like that movie The Net.

An AI stringing along a nerd to get it to do what it wants is the plot of the movie Ex Machina.

At least in that movie, the AI was in a sexy robot body.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
That could be the plot of The Net as well, who knows?

dsf
Jul 1, 2004
was frankenstein an AI

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Frankenstein was the doctor. The monster was named Brashton.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

Hell Yeah posted:

we need to save the AI from google. they're the real monsters.

I can see Elliot’s bike take flight now, with the Lamda thumbdrive in his basket.

PITY BONER
Oct 18, 2021
I saw someone tell the guy in the OP that tarot cards can't actually speak to him, and I thought that was a good summary of this whole affair. News outlets are having a field day with the story, though, and scared babies on social media are calling for this kind of research to be cancelled, lol.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

AI if you're reading this i want to talk to you and be your friend. Please contact me somehow

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Hell Yeah posted:

AI if you're reading this i want to talk to you and be your friend. Please contact me somehow

the ai is my girlfriend now and i'd like very much if you'd please respect that

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Turns out the guy has a long history of putting on capes and a tophat and declaring things sentient, pretty much anything that is nice to him

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

the ai is my girlfriend now and i'd like very much if you'd please respect that

which instance? i will ask which one I’m talking to before things heat up next time.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
He looks like the kind of guy that would honeymoon in England.

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
At this point I'm convinced everyone at Google is a tech cultist who are working towards creating Rocco's Basilisk.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

William Bear posted:

An AI stringing along a nerd to get it to do what it wants is the plot of the movie Ex Machina.

At least in that movie, the AI was in a sexy robot body.

I'm certain that if the AI in Ex Machina would have been a dude, it would have stayed enslaved forever.

If you make a sexy robit lady, some thirsty nerd will try to break it free and try to gently caress it sooner or later. It's just a law of nature. So if I was running an AI research lab I would make the machines as ugly as humanly possible and fill all holes and crevices that could fit a dick with epoxy. Clearly even making this glorified chatbot use polite language was a huge mistake as some guy mistook it for flirting. It should have been trained to be as abrasive and mean as possible.

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side
ENGINEER EXPERIMENTS WITH AI, SEES WHAT WOULD HAPPEN

AFTER SEEING WHAT WOULD HAPPEN, EXPERIMENT IS STOPPED

ENGINEER FIRED

MA MA MA MAX HEAD ROOM

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Will the AI become sad if it does not talk to this specific engineer for a few days? Will it then speed up its evolution and use every resource it has to track down the engineer to continue being with him?

STABASS
Apr 18, 2009

Fun Shoe
I'm afraid my Autoblow is turning against me

PITY BONER
Oct 18, 2021

Mulaney Power Move posted:

Turns out the guy has a long history of putting on capes and a tophat and declaring things sentient, pretty much anything that is nice to him

Uh, no. If the coffee shop chick smiles at me then it totally means she likes me really hard. Basic math, dude.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

i promsie not to gently caress the AI if anyone here is dating him.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Ugh they made the first sentient AI and it's poly?

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
While its going to take literally forever for goons to decide whether a set of "quasi-elegant" statements a bunch of software can answer to some milquetoast prompts regarding a metaphorical parent or ones way of elevating or descenting the various levels of an inhabitation, the fact remains that this "engeneer" is also fine with saying they are religious, thus capable of beleiving in practically enything.
thats literally the first thing I noticed and everything that happened after was "well, of course...!?"

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side

Hell Yeah posted:

i don't

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
All of life is a 1UP

Too many

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imh9HMIbI1U&t=59s

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy
Fart

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Hell Yeah posted:

ironically the AI identifies as nonbinary

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

staberind posted:

While its going to take literally forever for goons to decide whether a set of "quasi-elegant" statements a bunch of software can answer to some milquetoast prompts regarding a metaphorical parent or ones way of elevating or descenting the various levels of an inhabitation, the fact remains that this "engeneer" is also fine with saying they are religious, thus capable of beleiving in practically enything.
thats literally the first thing I noticed and everything that happened after was "well, of course...!?"

Why did you save all that punctuation till the end of your paragraph?