Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Well this keeps getting interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
I've listened to enough podcasts about conmen to know a habitual grifter when I see one, and this Stone clearly can't stop grifting at all times. All he does is threaten people until they give him what he wants. Waltzing into a richer woman's life, completely taking over her life / finances / business, making a big public deal about attaching your name to hers? This is how conmen get married.

Satine's just an enabler, but enabling a conman makes you an accomplice.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Froghammer posted:

I've listened to enough podcasts about conmen to know a habitual grifter when I see one, and this Stone clearly can't stop grifting at all times. All he does is threaten people until they give him what he wants. Waltzing into a richer woman's life, completely taking over her life / finances / business, making a big public deal about attaching your name to hers? This is how conmen get married.

Satine's just an enabler, but enabling a conman makes you an accomplice.

Satine did a lot of this horrible stuff before she ever met Stone.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
This is starting to make more sense, they get everyone to be intimidated by/focus on what incredible assholes they are so that nobody notices the theft.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Dexo posted:

That's probably not that uncommon, if you are "public" figures you probably ask someone you are dating not to post poo poo on main until you are more "serious". And you are sure it's not just a fling or whatever. Like I didn't introduce my girlfriend now wife to my parents and family until like 6-7 months in.

Right, but you did introduce her or take her to parties before you were engaged, right? I mean that was the weird part it seemed like a 0 to 60 thing. Like I just double checked and the last thing I was at with Satine was march 2019 and to my knowledge there was no mention of a new boy, nor was he ever at anything or in the same orbit.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

That Old Tree posted:

That's nice I guess but what does Backerkit plan to implement for all my blockchain needs?

That's the beauty of it, Tree! Nobody needs blockchain, so they don't have to implement anything!

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Rick posted:

Well it's D&D you can just cover it in errata tweets.

I know the title has JUST been changed over the same issue, but...

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Bottom Liner posted:

you do if your entire business model is hiring freelancers, running big kickstarters on the back of their work, and never paying them while buying a big expensive house in the Denver area ($$$$).

Wait, they're from Denver?

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019
Here's a summary article from Comic Book:

https://comicbook.com/gaming/news/d...gins-game-fair/

Sorry about the long video -- the one I thought I was posting was shorter.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
That is the same article linked last page in the tweet about embezzlement.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Cessna posted:

Wait, they're from Denver?

He was already based in Colorado, she moved out there when their romance got going.

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I know the title has JUST been changed over the same issue, but...

TG As An Industry: Hashtag healing. Hashtag Jordan B. Peterson. Hashtag enabler. Hashtag cult. Hashtag embezzlement. Hashtag cursed. Hashtag he has a kid. Hashtag errata tweets.

Eastmabl fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jun 14, 2022

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Coolness Averted posted:

He was already based in Colorado, she moved out there when their romance got going.

This state has just gotten worse.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Coolness Averted posted:

Right, but you did introduce her or take her to parties before you were engaged, right? I mean that was the weird part it seemed like a 0 to 60 thing. Like I just double checked and the last thing I was at with Satine was march 2019 and to my knowledge there was no mention of a new boy, nor was he ever at anything or in the same orbit.

I don't think we need to ask "why did they not mention or demonstrate their relationship to the public before X date." That's a weird parasocial thing and not remotely relevant to all the lovely things they did.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

admanb posted:

I don't think we need to ask "why did they not mention or demonstrate their relationship to the public before X date." That's a weird parasocial thing and not remotely relevant to all the lovely things they did.
It's because there was no one knew about who this dude was prior to him coming into Satine's life. I don't even think this thread cared, because this thread (rightfully, mind you) didn't promote her content.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

#hand in #unlovablehand

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
#ihopeyoudie #ihopewebothdie

E:before anyone gets any ideas, I'm continuing Hostile V's joke, it's lyrics to a song. I do not actually wish death upon them.

Nerdlord Actual
Apr 14, 2007

Awaken to your true self with Wisconsin Potatoes
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/Ettin64/status/1536690113970786305

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

admanb posted:

Yeah, I know a couple who got engaged after their second date and married a small number of months later. Lovely people, happy AFAICT. Just wired differently from many other people.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

admanb posted:

No, I'm saying Jameson Stone did not exist in social circles where folks who normally have been pulled from for the niche micro-community of professional DMs/Nerd influencers/whatever and the artists and talent they tend to work with prior to 2020 before quite literally marrying their brands following a whirlwind romance.

He's such a self-promoter that despite not having any social media connections to him whenever he's done anything with folks I actually know tons of his stuff pops up on my feed.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
I honestly find the entire issue with the tattoo artist, Chad Rowe, to be... well, just bizarre.

It sounds like they had a beef with the contract he sent them, they asked to write a new contract, he allowed it, they signed it, they paid him... and then, after belittling him throughout the entire process, they asked him for a written apology and Satine spent some time on the phone further dressing him down for... reasons?

Like, I just don't understand. They didn't grift him (he was paid in full and on-time, it seems), they get no benefit from a written apology or insulting him before and after the fact, they made a huge deal out of him needing to be more professional when, well, they got everything they asked for and with minimal effort in so doing...

It's just very strange. Like it's precisely the sort of behavior that you know will come back down on you if the victim talks and... for what? I can understand bullying people you don't intend to pay into silence, but that entire incident is just so hard for me to process.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Coolness Averted posted:

No, I'm saying Jameson Stone did not exist in social circles where folks who normally have been pulled from for the niche micro-community of professional DMs/Nerd influencers/whatever and the artists and talent they tend to work with prior to 2020 before quite literally marrying their brands following a whirlwind romance.

He's such a self-promoter that despite not having any social media connections to him whenever he's done anything with folks I actually know tons of his stuff pops up on my feed.
Browsing his LinkedIn, looks like he wrote a comicbook? Something called The Last Amazon.

Also a picture of him holding a baby. If that's his baby, I bet there's a woman out there with a story to tell.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Subjunctive posted:

Yeah, I know a couple who got engaged after their second date and married a small number of months later. Lovely people, happy AFAICT. Just wired differently from many other people.

Some people just think only in the short term and sometimes get lucky. "Hey are we gonna be happy in twenty years?" "Who cares, we're happy now!" and in twenty years it's the exact same conversation.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Memnaelar posted:

Like, I just don't understand. They didn't grift him (he was paid in full and on-time, it seems), they get no benefit from a written apology or insulting him before and after the fact, they made a huge deal out of him needing to be more professional when, well, they got everything they asked for and with minimal effort in so doing...

I think it's a power thing. One of the things coming out of this is that both Phoenix and Stone treat people they have power over like absolute dirt even, as you say, when it would be easier and simpler not to.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Coolness Averted posted:

Ah, yeah. That makes sense to me. He seems like a person for whom business and personal relationships are barely separated and he was already working in the TTRPG industry, so it makes sense that he would expand his business/grifting into nerd influencing when given a direct line to it.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Don't expect abusive people's abusive behavior to be consistently part of some rational evil plan, basically. They act reflexively in a pattern of gross behavior, and sometimes people find that also leads to a bunch of success and popularity, for a while anyway.

That's not to say none of their abuse was intentional or to reduce their culpability. It just means that abusive people are sometimes self-destructive too.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Memnaelar posted:

I honestly find the entire issue with the tattoo artist, Chad Rowe, to be... well, just bizarre.

It sounds like they had a beef with the contract he sent them, they asked to write a new contract, he allowed it, they signed it, they paid him... and then, after belittling him throughout the entire process, they asked him for a written apology and Satine spent some time on the phone further dressing him down for... reasons?

The vibe I got from it was that they essentially had a script in mind ("lecturing and educating a dumb, unprofessional tattoo artist because we are Wise") and he "ruined" it by being consistently pleasant and professional to them even in the face of abuse. The text conversations really feel like Jamison is just banging along on his script even as Chad isn't playing along. It's extremely weird poo poo, but abusers reacting to what they want reality to be vs. what it is is pretty standard stuff, unfortunately.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Antivehicular posted:

The vibe I got from it was that they essentially had a script in mind ("lecturing and educating a dumb, unprofessional tattoo artist because we are Wise") and he "ruined" it by being consistently pleasant and professional to them even in the face of abuse. The text conversations really feel like Jamison is just banging along on his script even as Chad isn't playing along. It's extremely weird poo poo, but abusers reacting to what they want reality to be vs. what it is is pretty standard stuff, unfortunately.

I'm reminded of Michael Rosenbaum who played Lex Luthor on Smallville talking about his co-star on the show Allison Mack coming over late at night with a couple of guys he'd never seen before and how they just sort of barged in when he opened the door for her, took over his kitchen (including starting to cook food) and just went into their rote spiel. Mack was a part of the NXIVM cult. While obviously I don't know if Stone is/was involved in a cult and it's not my place to speculate, when you're out here sending texts with phrases like "it's okay, you're inferior to me" like it's no thing it does set off like all the warning bells up to and including the Silent Hill air raid siren.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Dawgstar posted:

I'm reminded of Michael Rosenbaum who played Lex Luthor on Smallville talking about his co-star on the show Allison Mack coming over late at night with a couple of guys he'd never seen before and how they just sort of barged in when he opened the door for her, took over his kitchen (including starting to cook food) and just went into their rote spiel. Mack was a part of the NXIVM cult. While obviously I don't know if Stone is/was involved in a cult and it's not my place to speculate, when you're out here sending texts with phrases like "it's okay, you're inferior to me" like it's no thing it does set off like all the warning bells up to and including the Silent Hill air raid siren.

I'll never get over how NXIVM was a thing around here. I move to a supposedly boring area in Upstate New York and it's near the focus of this massive (d-list) celebrity-infused operation. Thankfully I never encountered any of that in person.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I'll never get over how NXIVM was a thing around here. I move to a supposedly boring area in Upstate New York and it's near the focus of this massive (d-list) celebrity-infused operation. Thankfully I never encountered any of that in person.
Boring-rear end upstate New York has a long, long history of weird cult activity and radical social movements: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burned-over_district

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

FMguru posted:

Boring-rear end upstate New York has a long, long history of weird cult activity and radical social movements: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burned-over_district

I subsequently learned this; you better believe that wasn't in any of the grad school brochures! :v:

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I lived a mile down the road from their compound for years, wild to think all that was going on at the same time. I remember seeing ads for his first scam, Consumers' Buyline, when I was a kid. Know a few people that NXVIM tried to recruit.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Are there still front page articles? This reads like a Something Awful front page article (in a good way).

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

homullus posted:

Are there still front page articles? This reads like a Something Awful front page article (in a good way).

Well, it's Goon-written.

And yeah, time was this would be front-page article.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

I'm disgusted by the comparison between Lich Lord Skulldritch Thronef***er and Satine Phoenix.

Lich Lord Skulldritch Thronef***er actually apologized for specific actions and stated what they were going to do to make amends! It's completely different!

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Froghammer posted:

...could either one of them ever actually paid those freelancers in the first place? These people were fleecing, repeatedly, for hundreds and thousands of dollars. You don't do that if you could legitimately pay for those things and not be destitute.

Circling back to this to add some context, while it's true that the way you get rich is by loving people over even if you have the money not to have to do so, one of the Kickstarters they stiffed people on raised somewhere in the neighborhood of $300,000 so they definitely had money with which to pay people what they were owed, which means they could have legitimately paid their freelancers and a lot of this poo poo would have never even gone public. There's a lot of other terrible behavior here to be sure, sexual harassment and bullying and abuse of all sorts, but as noted earlier in the thread if they'd simply paid their fuckin freelancers then a lot of this would have continued going unremarked as merely business as usual for the TRPG industry.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Hashtag healing, hashtag inflictwounds, hashtag negativeenergy

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.
Going to the site where it hasn't been discussed and she has the most followers to do a live video that gets deleted after 24 hours is probably part of their strategy to 'protect Satine'.

https://twitter.com/satinephoenix/status/1536856673544941568

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Froghammer posted:

Also a picture of him holding a baby. If that's his baby, I bet there's a woman out there with a story to tell.

He has a child, about four-five years now? Couldn't tell you much more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

Daughter is from first marriage - his wife was military I think. Of course he also used that fact to self promote before dumping her