Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henry Scorpio
Mar 20, 2006

Maybe it just collapsed on its own?

MechaCrash posted:

I know Bitcoin hitting prices like this means a bad thing happens to it, but I am unclear on exactly what the bad things are and what they mean. I've seen stuff about getting margin called, and I think what it means is that a lot of people took out loans to buy Bitcoin, and Bitcoin hitting this price means that their phones are currently ringing with messages from people who want to get repaid right loving now and we don't give a poo poo how you get the money or what the repercussions are but you'd better cross our palms with silver or Big Sal is gonna cross your kneecaps with hickory. (Or whatever the Actual Legitimate Banker equivalent of having your kneecaps broken is, anyway.)

Which I assume is bad for Bitcoin because if you took out big loans to buy Bitcoin and people want some loving greenbacks today, your only real source is selling your Bitcoin, which will tank the price, which will cause other people to say "you borrowed money to buy poo poo assuming its value would go up, it is going down, pay is back immediately" which makes them sell poo poo off and so on in a spiral.

Is that more or less right, way off base, or what?

With a normal broker and instrument, a margin call is a put or shut up trigger. So yeah either provide more capital or take the loss (pay back the loan). Since the average shitcoiner is unlikely to have uninvested capital, they don’t have much of an option here and will have to sell, squeezing the price like you say.

Margin requirements are designed with a buffer to reduce the chance of actually owing Big Sal more than you put in, but if the instrument moves violently enough and with high leverage amounts like 50:1 you get into situations where the shitcoiner owes more than they invested. But since they’re broke, Big Sal is the one left holding the bag for the leveraged spot traders and goes out of business, despite his knee capping spree.

This has happened several times in the real currency world, which till crypto came around was where it seemed the financial world’s sharks hung out. Recently the Swiss Franc had a black swan event that resulted in a bunch of brokers going out of business, traders losing it all, some with 500:1 leverage, and a raft of new regulations. In the even more unregulated crypto space, and Crypto brokers obfuscating leverage, it should be a hilarious dumpster fire...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

nuketulsa posted:

I love that this poo poo is so dumb that it can’t fail (but will) because stupid bad businesses have built themselves around it being a specific value and the value only means anything if new people are getting in.

Internet man, how did it go from MUDs to this lol.

I assume the Internet went south the third time I played The Avalon online tutorial because being 10, I couldn’t afford to pay for any of the good parts.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

can someone explain to me why the fake industry around the fake currency is collapsing, seemed like this was all very solid

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
They didn't slurp enough apes.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

priznat posted:

YGG was ok with it probably because recouping their initial investment in crypto counts as a massive win these days lol.

If they dragged it out in court the DAO would probably be bankrupt by the time they get a judgement I bet was the reasoning

That's got to be the explanation, they'll probably be grateful shortly that they managed to get that much before it blew up.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Beefed Owl posted:

Holy poo poo with this

Eth at 1145

Bitcoin 2022: I'd buy that for a dollar!

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
https://twitter.com/kylewaters_/status/1536899375296806917

oh noo not the priceless jpeg collection

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

lol

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

It is so satisfying to see number go down. :allears:

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
lmao diving towards 20k

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Oh hullo 21K wall could have been broken

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I'm hoping when I get up tomorrow it has gotten into the teens. :pray:

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I'm hoping when I get up tomorrow it'll have gotten into the teens. :pray:

loving quote is not edit. Although I guess in this case it kind of is.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I'm hoping when I get up tomorrow it has gotten into the teens. :pray:

Bitcoiners are already into teens.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird

Broke: We're committed to delivering the most value we can to our investors, especially those investors that backed us early on.

Woke: Our investors are worthless pay pigs that can eat poo poo, early-stage ones doubly so

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Vampire Panties posted:

Bigger than that. Bitcoin is still a uniquely useful tool for laundering money and scamming people. All of the other coins may wither and die, but IMO Bitcoin will always retain some sort of name value. I mean, People are still trying to sell beanie babies for 1500 bux, and are moving product at 20 bux a pop for a lovely stuffed bear

On top of that, I dont know the marketing term specifically but there's Bitcoin True Believers now. They'll butcher the code to run on pocket calculators and create their own sneakernet before they ever let it hit zero value.

The thing is, if the coin becomes worth so little that most people stop mining it, the entire network grinds to a halt and you CAN'T trade any coins. The 'frisbee on the roof' problem.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

smellmycheese posted:

BTC dropped below 21 now

20300 and falling fast. Lol, lmao

edit: You can see a hilarious amount of Asks turn into smoke with people trying to prop this up over 20k

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

lots of twitter ads telling me to buy the dip now lol

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird
These big drops have been happening at night in the US. Are big traders hoping to get out while most of their marks are asleep?

If so, it's a poignant move

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Remember the guy drying strawberries on his mining rig to sell? Simpler times.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

HolHorsejob posted:

These big drops have been happening at night in the US. Are big traders hoping to get out while most of their marks are asleep?

If so, it's a poignant move

I think the latest drop is due to Three Arrows Capital getting margin called after selling off a bunch of coins, stETH being the big one. They are tied to about every crypto lender, so that entire ecosystem may be collapsing thanks to Celsius poisoning the atmosphere.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

It dipped to 20,281, now hovering around 20,500. It's been well below 21k for the past hour.

Last time it fell below 21k it only fell to about 20,900 and bounced back in 15 minutes.

is it happening?

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
Eagerly awaiting the capitulation of the global financial market when it's discovered banks have been selling crypto backed securities

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006
was there still a guy at risk of liquidation at 21k or did they also re-collateralise?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Doccykins posted:

was there still a guy at risk of liquidation at 21k or did they also re-collateralise?

Yeah I think his number moved down to 18k

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 5 days!)

Mr Teatime posted:

Remember the guy drying strawberries on his mining rig to sell? Simpler times.

Vibratin' dat phone off the armrest

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

We closin' in on 20K

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Dy2tuF915E

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Doccykins posted:

Probably a bluff, but he's holding for now.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I wonder if that block of bids at 20k will still be there if it comes to it or it will mysteriously evaporate.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

DJ Burette
Jan 6, 2010
The 20100 mini wall got eaten in about 1 second, I don't give the wall at 20000 much hope when it finally reaches it.

Elerion
May 31, 2011
83% of active Coinbase clients have increased their BTC position last 24 hours, 17% reduced.

Retail investors/gamblers catching falling knives over here.

Armitage_Shanks
May 16, 2004

Fear the aVICtar.
Wasn't there a bunch of "Last chance to buy a bitcoin for less than 20k" tweets going around on the way up? I am trying to find them to check in on them today... you know... make sure they're doing OK?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
ooh, 20090.00

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

OH gently caress I’M SO CLOSE NNNNNGGGGHHHH

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I love Bitcoin Twitter turning themselves into pretzels trying to rationalize how this is Good For Bitcoin, Actually.

https://twitter.com/AurelienOhayon/status/1536737464622141441

https://twitter.com/ldubsinvesting/status/1537007581717499905

https://twitter.com/LifeRicerx/status/1537007288929734656
(Guy is suggesting this random sequence of numbers Musk tweeted is a prediction of Bitcoin price)

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Jun 15, 2022