Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

THS2
Oct 2, 2021

excessive consumption of sugary crap and meat should be banned for a lot of reasons. bloomberg’s ban was wrong because it fined the consumption of soda. the real answer is to nationalize coca cola, repurpose their supply chain to distribute baby formula, and send all the executives to labor camps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

if Biden stole the bubs formula from Australians are they having trouble finding formula to put into their tea?

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Taiwan's british colonial past?

Chinese people, drinking tea, is an affectation of colonialism?

The idea that india needs england to send it milk is weird. they have milk products in many traditional foods.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Grapplejack posted:

I've never had milk tea, I assume the milk cuts away most of the bitterness from the tea?

tell me you're american without saying you're american

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

bro do you eat chicken? that comes from asia. Do you eat potato? South america. as a north american can I eat fried chicken and french fries? is that ok with you people?

The kind of milk tea served in mainland came from taiwan, so taiwan is proud of it. Yeah historically chinese tea culture didn't have milk, but now it does, much as burgers are a symbol of american culture even if it's a fast food.

such weird foreign opinions I really don't get it

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

it's like italy and china having a noodle alliance. it makes perfect sense and everyone is familiar with noodles.

or turkey, greece having a baklava alliance. it's cute.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Antonymous posted:

baklava is Türkiş and pistachios are sine qua non. walnuts? give me a break.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Then it woul be most natural for the PRC to be head of the milk tea alliance, since it's the biggest milk tea consumer.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Antonymous posted:

Taiwan's british colonial past?

Chinese people, drinking tea, is an affectation of colonialism?

The idea that india needs england to send it milk is weird. they have milk products in many traditional foods.

large scale adoption of tea in India happened during the great depression when the imperial core stopped buying luxury products.

THS2
Oct 2, 2021

when i was in college i tried to make a stir fry with spaghetti noodles and it was not good

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Milk tea is fine, just try to not put sugar in it. You can drop in some sugar substitute syrup to change the taste.

I really don't notice the "bitterness" in any tea I drink. Its nowhere as bitter as black coffee.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Antonymous posted:

bro do you eat chicken? that comes from asia. Do you eat potato? South america. as a north american can I eat fried chicken and french fries? is that ok with you people?

The kind of milk tea served in mainland came from taiwan, so taiwan is proud of it. Yeah historically chinese tea culture didn't have milk, but now it does, much as burgers are a symbol of american culture even if it's a fast food.

such weird foreign opinions I really don't get it

Its more of a Market Forces (emphasis on force) in the late british imperium thing. People had relatively affordable minor luxuries dumped on them and they got into it.

This was a very tightly controlled thing in the british empire, while the irish potato famine starved and displaced millions, Ireland continued to export dairy, meat, grain and other sundry foodstuffs.

I drink tea in milk as a member of the metropolitan proletariat.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

at least in the west, boba/bubble tea is an extremely shallow and superficial cultural signifier for middle to upper middle class east asian diaspora, to appear different and foreign but also appealing enough to whites to not weird them out (like say, with balut or fung jao)

sometimes it's used by 1st gen/2nd gen AAs/CAs to compensate for a whitewashed western upbringing: "I drink boba tea almost everyday so I'm Asian af"

it's also where you get the term "boba liberal": asian americans/canadians with heavy investment in surface level idpol (representation in media, cultural appropriation, etc) while completely ignoring issues faced by poor asian immigrants (exploitation by employers, homelessness, discrimination)

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/WilliamYang120/status/1536714003745243136

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

mawarannahr posted:

baklava is Türkiş and pistachios are sine qua non. walnuts? give me a break.

bu-bu-but byzantine placenta cakes!!1! :qq:

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Zedhe Khoja posted:

sütlü nuriye is acceptable in hard times

quote:

According to the owner of Güllüoğlu Baklava the desserts origins go back to the 1980 Turkish coup d'état during which a military officer purchased baklava and found the price to be too high. The officer complained to İsmail Hakki Akansel, who had been appointed Mayor of Istanbul in the aftermath of the coup. Akansel responded by setting a price ceiling on baklava, which was announced during Ramadan. The pastry shop was unable to make the traditional baklava recipe profitable under the new pricing rules. To lower the cost of making baklava, pastry chefs substituted hazelnuts for pistachios and added milk to increase the weight of each tray of baklava. The new recipe became known as Sütlü Nuriye.[1]

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Is she related to that CGTN anchor (with an australian citizenship) spy case? I seem to remember there was another reporter who was detained in the same case.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
:siren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBvU1gWXvw8

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

I've heard it mentioned that milk was added to tea so it wouldn't stain the fine white porcelain cups as much.

Weka
May 5, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

Zedhe Khoja posted:

Sounds like you're supporting baklava being Turkish?

stephenthinkpad posted:

I feel that the news of HK flagged ship (China) sending drones to US ship in California should be a bigger news than just reported by a military blog.

Also why is that drone flying so long on the photo. It's lower than the high point of the ship (whatever your naval lingo call it).

This is the news breaking. They did some actual journalism.

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/AliAbunimah/status/1536872103647010817

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
i always assumed hong kong milk tea was a result of british colonialism but i never thought about it much. afaik, it was served in "tea cafes" alongside iced lemon tea and you can get it hot or cold. it used sweet condensed milk because fresh milk was probably too difficult/expensive. could be an attempt to replicate cultural mores of their british overlords.

you can also get a 'yuenyeung' which is mixed milk tea + coffee

Grapplejack posted:

I've never had milk tea, I assume the milk cuts away most of the bitterness from the tea?

the "silk stocking" brewed tea you get is usually really strong so the fat from the milk cuts the extreme dryness and the sweetness goes well with the roasted flavour of the tea.

it's still a dumb name for an alliance that reeks of 2nd gen diaspora idpol

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

Weka posted:

Sounds like you're supporting baklava being Turkish?

the placenta cakes ‘baklava is Greek’ people point to is much more similar to babka. Central Asian cuisine, on the other hand, has a long history of pastries with a crust of dough like “locust wings”

Doner however was copied from the Greeks and you can enrage Turks by telling them that.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Zedhe Khoja posted:

Doner however was copied from the Greeks and you can enrage Turks by telling them that.

gently caress off :argh:

e: I’m guessing it’s probably Georgian or Armenian

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cag_kebabi

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
I meant durum not doner but I’m full of vodka and oyster and am likely dying. specifically the “wrap in a pita/lavash” stuff is pretty solidly Greek in origin. A lot of the other Balkan food war items are of fuzzier provenance.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Zedhe Khoja posted:

I meant durum not doner but I’m full of vodka and oyster and am likely dying. specifically the “wrap in a pita/lavash” stuff is pretty solidly Greek in origin. A lot of the other Balkan food war items are of fuzzier provenance.

aah ok. yeah i don’t think durum type stuff is traditionally ottoman/central Asian before.

now I want Bukhara pilav

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Bruh just eat biryani.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Tankbuster posted:

Bruh just eat biryani.

thank you, I’ve never had it and now I know something to try in the future.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Now there's two types of Biriyani. One is from Hyderabad, which is a lighter variant, and another is from Lucknow which is a heavier version. Its essentially a pilaf with a bunch of indian spices and aromatic rice.

Weka
May 5, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

Zedhe Khoja posted:

the placenta cakes ‘baklava is Greek’ people point to is much more similar to babka. Central Asian cuisine, on the other hand, has a long history of pastries with a crust of dough like “locust wings”

I just meant the ottomans were the inheritors of byzantium.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Biryani owns, I love it

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
i used to live within walking distance from an indian place and would always get the egg biryani. man... i could use some of that

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

yo anyone here seen rrr please confirm whether or not it was heavy handed

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.
RRR is about as subtle as the battle at lake changjin

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/baltshevik/status/1533802899859558401

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

fun thread. not really news but fills in details https://twitter.com/catchwreck3/status/1414188485343387659

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

i thought that the Radio Free ~blank~ places aren't even pretending to not be state dept agencies

it's like writing a twitter thread to prove RT was created by the Russian government

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Antonymous posted:

it's like italy and china having a noodle alliance. it makes perfect sense and everyone is familiar with noodles.

I've heard Chinese suggest that the only reason Italy has noodles is because Marco Polo stole the idea from China.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Are Radio Free franchise and Voice of American franchise managed by the same dept?

Is there a twitter thread on the relationship between DW and NED?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Some Guy TT posted:

yo anyone here seen rrr please confirm whether or not it was heavy handed

Samog posted:

RRR is about as subtle as the battle at lake changjin

The main characters meet in a scene where one of them is protected by a burning oil fire by the power of Anticolonialism. Lake Changjin by contrast has 0 magical realism and is more of a sports underdog movie where the bad guys have air supremacy.