Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Very cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

It has floorboards and a heel toe shifter installed. The floorboards are not at all for me because I tend to ride with my toes down and they force my feet level. The heel toe shifter is just laughably terrible.

Other than that it is extremely stock, which is good. The runner up behind this one for potential purchase had the entire kuryakyn chrome catalog barfed onto it and was absolutely festooned with stick-on chrome and pinstripe stickers and BS like that. I really didnt want to be undoing someone elses mess.

So next up is finding a set of stock pegs and a stock shifter because boy howdy is it terrible to shift by stomping your heel down

No known issues, PO said it will need brakes sometime and included the pads. However, the brakes are light years better than the ones on my 1200, I think mostly due to just braking technology progressing that much between 1986 and 2002. Oh, the left bag wont open with the normal lever, he thinks the cable is disconnected, it shouldn't be tough to fix since the whole setup is just a little pull cable. In the mean time there is an emergency latch you can hit to open it if needed

Yeah if it's like the heel toes I've found for the Valkyrie it's not even an actual change of parts but instead adding a part that grabs the shifter for you and then you have a second link point to shifter. I looked into it because I'm used to a heel toe but literally laughed when I realized it and thought it was both dumb as gently caress and dangerous.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

canada rules. plz citizen me

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Oh now you want a queen

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

right arm posted:

canada rules. plz citizen me

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Lol found it, this hunk of poo poo is what it seems most of them are like for the gold wings and Valkyries, since you can't actually replace the shifter due to the engine blocking part of it and the location.

Soon as I saw it and understood what it did I noped out hard. I'll deal with learning how to shift like a normal person and not using heel toe

Literally that c section is what grabs the og shifter and then you have the aftermarket which just shifts it for you by moving it. So janky

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That is incredibly lovely, wow!

Heel shifters in general exist because of two reasons: boomers with no ankle mobility, and people who don't want to face the fact that they need deeper repairs and would rather just stomp really hard to make their Harley go into gear. Utterly useless device.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yep. That’s what I have, along with a peeling chinese chrome floorboard!

I’m also decently sure both the heel toe shifter and the actual shift lever are loose so I’m going to start by tightening those up and at least making it as good as it can get while I search for OEM gear

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jun 14, 2022

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Yep. That’s what I have, along with a peeling chinese chrome floorboard!

I’m also decently sure both the heel toe shifter and the actual shift lever are loose so I’m going to start by tightening those up and at least making it as good as it can get while I search for OEM gear

Yeah legit I'd tear it off, the shifter is og likely but you need to get the pegs. Some aftermarket likely will be fine while you look for ebay oem.

The danger of that shifter flat out is what scares me, it's another point of failure.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

OK, I've been gone for a bit, so let me get through some of these

knox_harrington posted:

Is the fact they're the same size an indication it's the largest reasonable form factor for a motorcycle? Also, cool.

Probably, yeah. Any wider and it would be a problem for most peoples legs and hips, any longer and the handling would be terrible, any taller and they would be tippy nightmares.

My 86 GL1200 does feel physically bigger than the 02 GL1800 though. I dont know if thats my mind playing tricks because of the different cockpit layouts, or if it actually is bigger?

Snapshot posted:

That looks awesome; any known issues or odd mods?

I'm re-answering this question. Its day two and I hate the floorboards and heel-toe shifter even more. I'm calling around to boneyards to find the OEM stuff, we'll see if that pans out.

I have discovered one issue. I think the anti-dive mechanism is stuck. Its a known issue that you can fix by cleaning it, but it manifests itself as the front end feeling like its sprung for a 600lb rider. I didnt really notice yesterday because the PO had the rear end preload set to the lowest possible setting. Now that I've got it set mostly where it should be, the front end stiffness really sticks out. I have to dig through the manual and watch some youtubes, but apparently its just some carb cleaner and reassembly, and you're on your way.

Jazzzzz posted:

Post a picture of the console + controls for the folks who haven't seen the absolute mass of buttons taking up every square inch of real estate on that gen GL1800. I swear there are 10+ buttons just for CB accessories - which, judging by the antennas, that bike has

Here is the spaceshuttle control center that is the Goldwing cockpit:

Lets start from the bottom up with things you can potentially mess with, change, adjust, or turn on/off. Forgive the water, I rode home in the rain from work.

• On the very bottom are the vents, these just let cool air through to your legs. If you've ever ridden in an early 2000's Honda or Acura, you've seen these before
  • Above the left vent is a knob for headlight adjustment. You can adjust the headlight up or down depending on the load on the bike. This is directly related to:
  • The preload adjust button. This sets the preload, in 20 distinct steps. This can only be done at a stop in neutral. The current preload shows up on the screen thats just above the key when you press the preload adjustment button
  • Next to the preload adjustment button is the memory buttons. The idea here is that you set one memory button for riding alone, and one for riding with a passenger or trailer or whatever.
  • At the top of this panel is the emergency flasher button. I made the mistake of testing this button while riding, and it got stuck on. Apparently wings of this age are known for the grease in the switches getting hard and needing a shot of dielectric grease. I took the switch panel off and fixed it last night. In the process I learned that the Goldwing is very modular and (so far) easy to repair. You just take the little plastic strip off that is to the left of the headlight adjuster, take one single allen head bolt out from underneath it, and then the entire switch panel comes out and unplugs with one plug. Around back, each button is its own distinct switch that has its own wiring that ties into the pigtail with their own removable plugs before the pigtail plugs into the main harness. Each switch can be opened up, cleaned, and closed back up non-destructively.
  • The keyed door in the middle is the gas filler cover
  • The keyed spot on the right side opens the little storage hatch cover thats right above it
  • The blank spot next to the keyed spot is for heated grips, which my bike doesnt have
  • Then its on to the radio controls. above the fuel filler door. The knob on the left controls volume and pressing it turns the radio/CB/Aux connection on and off. The right knob, when pressed in controls the radio settings like treble, bass, and the intensity of the AVC (automatic volume control), which raises the volume based on your speed.
  • The CD button switches the radio to play from the 6-disc changer, which my bike doesnt have, but im not upset about because of another button I'll explain below
  • AM is self explanatory. AM Radio
  • AUX switches to the AUX headphone jack, allowing you to play music or GPS voice guidance from a phone or other device with a headphone jack. This is why I'm not mad it doesnt have the 6-disc changer
  • FM1/2 are just different memory banks for the FM radio. Each of the 2 banks can have 6 stations programmed for a total of 12
  • The WB button automatically tunes to one of 3 pre-programed weather band stations. I dont know much about weather band, but I pressed the button and heard the weather, so it works I guess
  • The 1 through 6 buttons switch between memorized channels for FM1/2
  • The Audio button switches the audio from the front and rear speakers to the headset, which is plugged into that jack sitting just to the left of the radio buttons. I dont have the headset(s), but I'm strongly considering buying some
  • The CB button also switches the CB radio chatter from the headset to the speakers. You can have this set opposite of the audio button to have one play through each output, or have them both set the same to have the stereo mute the music when CB chatter comes through. I do not have the CB radio in my bike, but I might have to rectify this. Every Goldwing came with all of the CB controls regardless if you ordered the CB radio option or not. I imagine Honda sold a lot of CB radios after the fact
  • The ICOM button turns on the intercom between you and the passenger (the passenger also gets an audio jack like the one up front)
  • I'm honestly not sure what the A-SEL RPT/RNDM button does, but I'd assume its for the CD changer
  • Moving on to the left hand grip, we have at the top, buttons to control the CB radio. Volume, Channel, and Squelch. If you set the squelch properly, this is what lets the stereo know when to interrupt the music for CB chatter. Its not visible in the picture, but there is also a button thats more like a small lever that you can push down with your left hand index finger to allow you to talk over the CB, Push to Talk basically
  • Under the CB controls are a volume control. This controls any and all audio in the headset or on the speakers
  • The tune control will either tune the radio channel, or switch discs on the CD changer, depending on which stereo mode you're in
  • There are standard High beam, blinker and horn controls that work like you'd expect.
  • The mute button cuts the audio output down to a low whisper. You can still hear it but its quiet. This scales with speed and volume
  • In the middle is the multifunction display. This by default shows the radio channel you're on, either AM/FM/CB or Weather, your trip mileage, total mileage, and things about the radio, like whether you're in headphone mode, intercom mode, and I'd imagine CB mode as well.
  • The mode button below it changes settings like the backlight brightness for the entire dash and the MFD.
  • The middle button is the trip reset
  • The Right button changes what is displayed. If you press it once, it shows the ambient air temp for about 10 seconds and if you press it twice, it shows your current preload setting
  • On the right grip, we have the cruise on/off button, flanked by the Resume/Accel, and Set/Decel buttons. They work just like in a car
  • Below that is the starter button, which works like you'd expect, unless you press the RVS button, which means "reverse", in which case the starter button engages the starter to drive the bike in reverse. Useful for when you're parked with the front down a hill

yummycheese posted:

always loved that honda used the car version of the speedo,tach,fuel/temp gauges. a nice nod to how big/comfy they must be

Between the dash and the tail lights, its very much an early 2000's Honda/Acura experience

Steakandchips posted:

Nice work Jim, top tier road couch! How many miles has it got on it?

47K, which, for the price, is good. This is the "first gen" 1800CC goldwing, and during my search, I saw one with just 4,000 original miles go for like $8K, and I saw ones with over 200K miles up for 3-4K, so this is nicely in the middle. Seems like a lot of miles, but these bikes routinely go over 100K miles with just routine maintenance, and 200K miles is still pretty common.

Also, excuse my extremely messy garage here, but I'm not entirely sure how the bike survived 20 years and 47K miles and came out the other end this clean? I suppose thats the advantage of buying an old persons bike from an old person

E: Oh, and also because it sits in the dash, the bike also has a key fob. It has buttons for panic (aka "find my goldwing at the goldwing meet" button"), lock and unlock, which lock and unlock the bags, when locked, the handles to open the bags do nothing, like a car lock. It also has a button to pop the lock for the top bag, regardless of lock state. This is nice when you have handfuls of stuff that you want to load in and you cant reach the grab handle to open it, it just pops the lock and you can open the top case. It works exactly like the trunk button on a car

I thought the key fob was going to be gimmicky and kind of useless, but its super nice, especially because I wind up leaving work every day with a handful of stuff I need to take home, and its nice to not have to set it all on the ground, or scratch the bike up fumbling for the handle (which is under the top box), when I can just press the button and lift up the top.

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Jun 14, 2022

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

That rules. I really want to go on a ride through the mountains, big craggy proper ones.. I have to, have to, go to Montana and Wyoming in August for family things. I am vaguely planning to go for a ride down the Beartooth Highway while I'm there. I was looking on Twisted Road and there's a Ninja 650 for rent, but maybe I can convince my brother to let me borrow his 1098 instead :getin:

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

knox_harrington posted:

Ah I also got a pillion seat replacement cowl for 20 bucks as the OEM ones don't seem to be available any more. Actually seems OK quality, will have to wait till it's on the bike to see about the colour match.

The cowl is neither a good colour match nor does it actually latch to the bike properly. It looks like maybe some of the plastic moulding is in the way of the latch so I'll have a go at filing it down.

Maybe I can get a real one from the Honda garage but they seem sold out everywhere online.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

OK, I've been gone for a bit, so let me get through some of these

Love this thing. Floorboards and heel/toes are total dogshit, one of my GL1100's had them and I could not rip them off fast enough after trying them.

quote:

I have discovered one issue. I think the anti-dive mechanism is stuck. Its a known issue that you can fix by cleaning it, but it manifests itself as the front end feeling like its sprung for a 600lb rider. I didnt really notice yesterday because the PO had the rear end preload set to the lowest possible setting. Now that I've got it set mostly where it should be, the front end stiffness really sticks out. I have to dig through the manual and watch some youtubes, but apparently its just some carb cleaner and reassembly, and you're on your way.

Hmm. Have you considered cart replacements and disabling the anti dive?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Does anyone know anything about transmissions with reverse gears? I'm finally getting around to putting my sidecar rig together, noticed the reverse shifted was seized and took it apart a bit, but I'm not clear on how it all works. Like, I can see how it's supposed to go together, but it doesn't quite line up and I don't see how it would actually work even if it were together. I'm 99% sure I'm missing a piece in between the two I have but I don't know what it would be and the diagrams I can find are garbage since this a Chinese bike from 1972

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

With pictures and a description that detailed, I'm surprised nobody has answered yet

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Har har. I want to know if I should bother before posting anything but I suppose worst case people can enjoy my pretty pictures

The big hole on the bottom is where the shifter goes and the smaller hole on top is the reverse level. That piece has that long groove on it and there's a piece attached to the shifter that has a little dot that obviously sits in the groove, but I'm not sure how it's supposed to work beyond that. It feels like turning the reverse lever would just slide the plate along the groove and not acuate anything. I also feel like the reverse option can't just be off the shift lever like that or I'm definitely going to go into reverse on the highway.

This is the other side, the shifter goes straight through and is what my vice grips are on.

Opopanax fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jun 14, 2022

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Gorson posted:

Hmm. Have you considered cart replacements and disabling the anti dive?

I will eventually, but right now I just want to fix it so I can get used to the way it’s supposed to be. That way if I want to make changes in the future I’ll know what needs changing

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Opopanax posted:

Har har. I want to know if I should bother before posting anything but I suppose worst case people can enjoy my pretty pictures

The big hole on the bottom is where the shifter goes and the smaller hole on top is the reverse level. That piece has that long groove on it and there's a piece attached to the shifter that has a little dot that obviously sits in the groove, but I'm not sure how it's supposed to work beyond that. It feels like turning the reverse lever would just slide the plate along the groove and not acuate anything. I also feel like the reverse option can't just be off the shift lever like that or I'm definitely going to go into reverse on the highway.

This is the other side, the shifter goes straight through and is what my vice grips are on.

Ok so it looks like the slotted plate is a guide plate, it looks like it's meant to work exactly like the ones on the gearbox side do. Can you take a picture of the reverse lever, preferably with it sitting in there as well? I'm struggling to understand what you think isn't working. Is that square piece the other end of the shifter? Is it attached to the slotted plate at all? Also post your lovely parts diagrams.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Aha I got it. I was right and there was another part farther back that had slipped out.

For reference
This one is clearer than most but of course doesn't show what I need. Won't hotlink for some reason

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Yeah that doesn't appear to show any of the shift mechanism cause I can't see the plates or selector forks there.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Pretty sure Number 3 on that diagram is the actual mechanism for it. I still have no idea how it actually works but as long as it does I'm satisfied.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ok looking at #3, I would hazard that pushing the reverse lever somehow engages the smaller shift plate, at that point you shift down (?) and it puts it in reverse. The reverse lever activates reverse mode on the shifter, basically. It's an interlock. This makes sense cause otherwise there would be a danger of getting reverse and drive simultaneously (if the reverse lever just put it in reverse by itself) or being able to hook reverse while riding (if there was no interlock lever).

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Gorson posted:

Love this thing. Floorboards and heel/toes are total dogshit, one of my GL1100's had them and I could not rip them off fast enough after trying them.

Look at this buuuuuuullshit

I have some OEM pegs coming later this week. They can’t get here fast enough.

Now I’m wondering if that is some sort of shifter that came with the heel toe setup and I’ll have to get a shifter too.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Now I’m wondering if that is some sort of shifter that came with the heel toe setup and I’ll have to get a shifter too.

Looks like it was a set of Amazon's Finest bike parts: https://www.amazon.com/Floorboard-Heel-Toe-Compatible-Goldwing-Valkyrie/dp/B072K284HJ

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

This must be destroyed. On video preferably.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

naw its likely the stock shifter with some rubber gasket on it instead of the oem piece to hold it to that magical c clamp connection. also yes it looks as horrid and dangerous as every stock picture made me believe.

I say that because I think the shifter itself is actually not an easy thing to replace if its like mine, and means taking off some covers that many times is way to much effort for these cheap kits especially when the style for the goldwings is literally a drop in place grab the stock shifter. I have to pull my service manual out to tell you though. In other bikes you replace the entire shifter and floorboard so its not nearly as gnarly looking, just this is not that, specifically because of how the shifter lever sits undernearth part of the engine cover

UCS Hellmaker fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Jun 15, 2022

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
also in other news, today I learned that the yamaha nikken is actually a real bike and not a concept bike. Dear god

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

It was available for test rides at an event I was at a while ago. I didn't test ride it, but it looks ridiculous.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!
I guess some people here dont watch pro cycling

Fluffs McCloud
Dec 25, 2005
On an IHOP crusade

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Why is there even a floorboard? I mean zero offense to folks with size 6 feet, but how would you comfortably rest your foot on that without it just resting on one end of the shifter...the way you might avoid with a peg? Like, lots of people make dumb tradeoffs between safety and comfort, but all I can see is the weight of my foot either on my toe or heel exclusively, and held that way by muscles that get tired quicker than others? Am I missing something about this setup? Why would you do that?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Xakura posted:

I guess some people here dont watch pro cycling

?....???

Fluffs McCloud posted:

Why is there even a floorboard? I mean zero offense to folks with size 6 feet, but how would you comfortably rest your foot on that without it just resting on one end of the shifter...the way you might avoid with a peg? Like, lots of people make dumb tradeoffs between safety and comfort, but all I can see is the weight of my foot either on my toe or heel exclusively, and held that way by muscles that get tired quicker than others? Am I missing something about this setup? Why would you do that?

Because it was a thing that existed for a reason on bikes the average boomer's dad rode when he was young. Boards on their own work fine if the bike and shifter are designed for it, it's pretty nice on the right bike, you can very easily stand up a little over bumps, lean off in a lazy way, that kind of thing very comfortably.

Heel shifters are extremely dumb in 99 of 100 cases regardless of boards or pegs or whatever, if you have a drum shifted gearbox and a working ankle, you don't need a heel shifter.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Slavvy posted:

?....???

Niken is extremely common as a support/camera bike. It's the only place I've seen them.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Terrible. If you stand on them, do they flex like they're going to bend downwards? Mine do (did). I get the impression they weren't made to stand on. I also found that the stock replacement pegs are hard to find because...guess what....so many of these things have floorboards on them and the pegs probably got tossed into scrap.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Gorson posted:

Terrible. If you stand on them, do they flex like they're going to bend downwards? Mine do (did). I get the impression they weren't made to stand on. I also found that the stock replacement pegs are hard to find because...guess what....so many of these things have floorboards on them and the pegs probably got tossed into scrap.

They are pretty solid, but I think I’ve only stood on them once in the 3 days I’ve had it. The worst thing about them (besides that they exist) is the chrome plating is peeling and obviously cheap.

Yeah the OEM pegs were super hard to find. I had to track down a used set

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Gorson posted:

A heel-toe is great if your ankle is immobilized in an air cast because your foot was recently broken off.

I had so many people tell me that I was going to love the heel-toe and I'd never be able to go back to riding another bike that didn't have one. The day I was able to wear regular boots I ripped it off and threw it in the trash.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

the only heel shifting anyone should be doing is using their heel to grab 3rd gear after you get the holeshot :hai:

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

I think I left the ignition on while getting some food with my brother. Had to get him to push start me, always entertaining. Got the battery charging now and did some post big ride check over on the bike. Hope that's all it is, regarding the battery. Chain was raw so greased it up. Got some weird coating on some parts of the right side of the bike and exhaust, hopefully it's not from the bike, it desperately needs a wash though before I'll know it's origin. Oil level looks fine but I'm gonna change it sooner than later. Might have a look at the coolant but I haven't noticed any leaks yet.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
My partner did her MSF this past weekend (still has to finish some online courses and take the written test, but the hard part is done) and as expected, her years of bicycle racing and general athleticism helped her pass super easy.

She's looking for more of the stereotypical first bike because she doesn't have any special requirements like either of us tall dudes here in the house do. Small, nimble, easy to pick up if she drops it (and just beat up enough she won't feel bad if/when she does). So she's probably going to end up on some old cafe bike or dual sport that she'll ride circles around us on.

I joked with her today about how she's going to end up looking so much cooler than either of her partners but at the risk of being too sincere on the internet, I really am looking forward to riding with her.

Even/especially if she ends up being way better at it than I am.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I just spent a few days with a BMW F900XR riding around the Côte d'Azure alps. I can see why magazine reviewers laud this bike. It's like some German men in white coats focus grouped a bunch of professional nitpickers, asked them what they all want in a bike, and proceeded to tick every box. It is the epitome of the Clarkson meme "this is brilliant, but I want this". My friend helped come up with a good analogy. It's like an Oscar bait movie. A poingnant drama about overcoming loss through adversity, starring the best actors, directed by a storied director, shot by a legendary cinematographer. There is no doubt that it is a great film, I just don't want to watch it. That's the F900XR. If you want specifics, here's a template:

code:

"hey Finger Prince, what is the ______ like?"
"excellent"

The seat is too hard, imo, but still fine for several hours of riding. And mine had a nasty oil leak at the filter that dripped onto the header so it smoked like a half broken two stroke in the heat. Euro 5 emissions compliant! Chock that up to rental bike abuse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Who was it that described "soul" as applied to vehicles as meaning only that it doesn't do precisely what you ask of it at all times?