Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Aramoro posted:

The problem with Isle of Cats is that it's not very good and has loads of bits.

I enjoyed it, but the art is definitely what sold it to me, I would not recommend it to anyone who doesn't specifically enjoy the theming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
The family mode of Isle of Cats is great but given how much of the stuff you don't use it's hard to recommend getting it just for that.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.

Aramoro posted:

The problem with Isle of Cats is that it's not very good and has loads of bits.

Yeah I looked at it and it seemed a bit more than I was after. Also wasn’t keen to pack cats in a confined space, I’m pretty sure that’s rarely a good idea.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

RabidWeasel posted:

I enjoyed it, but the art is definitely what sold it to me, I would not recommend it to anyone who doesn't specifically enjoy the theming.

Yeah that’s me out. I was also wondering if something like Azul might scratch a similar itch. But I might give Barenpark a go, it seems like it might be a good fit. Also going to read up on Cartographers, Cascadia and Copenhagen - the 3 C’s.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Blamestorm posted:

My wife and I have really been enjoying My City. As we are coming to the end of it we were both discussing how good in particular some of the early rounds were when we were exhausted from work and too zonked to play anything too complex, so just having the game be “draw a card, stare at your board and place a tile” with pretty much zero setup and playing in 20 minutes was exactly what we needed.

I’m wondering what’s a good polynomimo game to maybe recapture that feel now once we are done. I’m unethused about patchwork based on the “theme” (to the extent it exists) and components. Barenpark is probably the lead contender as it looks pretty simple and clear and we can probably bring the kids in, but I understand the setup is a bit of a bear. NY Zoo? Anything else we should consider?

I’ll insta buy that sequel to my city coming out (my island) and we also have feast for Odin (too much for a quick after dinner thing) and ark nova (unplayed but presumably ditto).

I would suggest giving patchwork a try anyway if you can. The theme is kind of irrelevant to the gameplay and it's a great 2 player polyomino game.

I love that sort of spacial puzzle game and have most of what's been suggested here. I don't have much to add other than maybe also look at Calico. It's not polyomino but it's an abstract tile placement puzzle game with low player interaction (can't really screw over the other player besides taking a tile they'd need) and fast turns.

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013
In the polyomino space, I've been enjoying Llamaland. It has cute art and table presence, the llamameeples are adorable and the star of the show, and it's a neat little family-level puzzle with an additional 3d layer. There is some player interaction, but not a huge amount of it, you're more building your own thing, so depends on your taste. It's been a nice way to relax in the evening at times for us.

Setup is pretty fast (there are 5 or 6 shapes, you just need to keep them in separate bags). Playtime is maybe 60? min. We've only played 2p so far. It's a solid charming family-level polyomino game.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
I have been playing the hell out of Space Station Phoenix. It reminds me of games that used to be simply good Euros. Without the deluxifying, without the incredibly obtuse rules we see now sometimes, and with the interesting choices and replayability that attracted me to this hobby in the first place. I'm too lazy to type out a full review but JonGetsGames has a tutorial playthrough and Heavy Cardboard has a full playthrough. I've enjoyed it at all player counts, noting it doesn't have a solo mode.

I've also been playing Carnegie. Unlike SSP, it's not great at all at two, and OK with three, but shines with four. I do wonder about the replayabiliity because the random factors are the departments which don't affect the game that much. In SSP, the random factors are both your starting 'powers' and the sectors available, leading to thousands of different setups you could have. Also Carnegie has a left-right binding (like Puerto Rico) issue that was a problem in last night's game, as one player only took the construction action throughout the entire game, meaning the that player to his left benefited way more than the player to his right. And the player to his right was disadvantaged the whole game. Yes, you can in theory take the construction action 20 times. But the reality is that since you have to place the meeples in the construction area, you need a way to refill those meeples before the construction action can be useful. I'm sure I'll enjoy it for a little while longer but I don't see it as having a permanent space on my shelf.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

FirstAidKite posted:

Genuinely curious here, not being sarcastic or dunk on you or anything like that, this is a sincere question: what was your quick research? Did you go check BGG or the publisher's store page or something? You're not likely to find spoilers, narrative/puzzle/surprise or otherwise, in a plain description on the game box, store page descriptions, or the BGG description.

goons getting mad and reporting posts about games they don't play? well I never

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

PRADA SLUT posted:

goons getting mad and reporting posts about games they don't play? well I never

That doesn't really apply since the person who reported it explicitly did play 1 of the games and posted about it tho. Not really the same.

e: as for the conversation about tile placement games, I think Skylands is a pretty good one that is underrated.

The board game geek description:

quote:

The people of the Skylands live high above the earth in mystical floating islands. The grandiose cities on these islands are powered by magical energy from a rare crystal.

In the tile-laying game Skylands, you are tasked with building part of the Skylands kingdom. Go exploring for new areas of wood, stone, and most importantly, crystalline, as you seek to build the grandest part of the Kingdom.

On their turn, a player selects one of four actions: Explore, Harvest, Build, or Collect Energy. All players get to take the action, but the player who selected it gets an extra bonus. A player cannot select the same action two turns in a row. The actions allow players to select tiles and place them in their tableau, building out their landscape of Skylands, forest, and quarries. Completing these geographic features allows them to harvest resources, collect crystals, and build special buildings. The game continues until one player fills their tableau or all the tiles have been placed. Players receive points for their special buildings, materials, and points earned during the game, and the player with the most points wins.

Skylands includes special buildings for beginner, intermediate, and advanced play, as well as a campaign mode, and five small expansions ("Queenies") for more complexity.

FirstAidKite fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jun 14, 2022

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!
Hey thread! I know Oath has some legacy ~ish elements, but what I’m wondering is how necessary it is that the same group plays it continually?

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

OmegaGoo posted:

Hey thread! I know Oath has some legacy ~ish elements, but what I’m wondering is how necessary it is that the same group plays it continually?

I don't know specifically but I know Cole had that as a design goal so I would think you could do it. I owned the game, tried to play it, got into a giant arguement which led to me never speaking to one of the players again.. So I sold it because of bad memories.

Mayveena fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jun 14, 2022

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
It's not necessary, but it is nice. Mainly because Oath asks for players to care about the gamestate more than just purely winning and losing. It's a kingmaker generator and it wants to cause discussions like "I'll let you win if i become a citizen and you prioritise Order cards in the deck maintenance phase." If you're just going to play the one time, you can play and have fun but you might not have those reasons.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

OmegaGoo posted:

The only part that really matters is that the person who wins is in the next game since they become Chancellor. Anyone that negotiates a Citizen role would also want to be in the next game, but over a longer period it doesn't matter if new players come and go.

Another way to put it is that small picture it matters but big picture it doesn't.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

https://www.backerkit.com/call_to_action/438a4598-b3de-417c-b6fb-d4698ef44b68/landing?ref=announcement

quote:

Nature comes alive in the next chapter of Spirit Island.

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

An iksar marauder glowers at you dubiously -- looks like quite a gamble.

OmegaGoo posted:

Not at all, it’s more of a small bonus (hey remember last game?) than a requirement. Over time the game adapts to the players, but players switch up their playstyles as well, so that’s not an issue either.

It can create fun legacy type stories though.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Featuring new spirits "Market's Shifting Lunacy", "Calamitous Maw of Capitalism," and "Economies of Scale and Venom."

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Please no more tokens. I can barely deal with strife and badlands

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
I just bought Oath with all the bells and whistles. Hoping that I can introduce it to a bunch of more casual players but study the rules well enough that I can smooth out the crunchier side of it. I've heard that once you're past the crunch it's actually a game that can be enjoyed more casually because of the table talk and big picture narrative.

I found this nearly 3 hour rule breakdown which I think should prepare me for running it:

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLZBdZwoBsEMNFr7QcBzt9YK5HjOSdO6xq

Does anyone else have recommendations of things I could watch to prepare myself? Maybe a good actual play that doesn't spoil too many cards?

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

Thanks everyone for all the polyomino suggestions. Lots to look at!

Edit: weirdly enough I had Azul sitting around and had never gotten around to giving it a go. Wow, actually it kind of does scratch this itch even though it’s not at all a polyomino game. Probably because it’s also mostly a visual puzzle thing? Anyway, just in case anyone else has a similar interest.

Blamestorm fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Jun 15, 2022

Hraathgar
Jan 21, 2016

FirstAidKite posted:

Featuring new spirits "Market's Shifting Lunacy", "Calamitous Maw of Capitalism," and "Economies of Scale and Venom."

Thinking about it, it might be cool to have a spirit that abuses the colonists greed, like a mythical golden city that eats you.

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

Hraathgar posted:

Thinking about it, it might be cool to have a spirit that abuses the colonists greed, like a mythical golden city that eats you.

Would be incredibly on brand for a spirit, and iirc there is a lot of push but I don’t recall a heavy pull focused spirit (aside from ocean which is very different)

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Did you marry a man who married the sea? He looks right through you to the distant grey - calling, calling..
Lure of the Deep Wilderness is pretty much that already, pull invaders to a specific spot and then eat them. No reason they couldn't do something kinda similar with different theming and mechanics though.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Alas, my custom insert and already overweight base game box :(

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Kerro posted:

Lure of the Deep Wilderness is pretty much that already, pull invaders to a specific spot and then eat them. No reason they couldn't do something kinda similar with different theming and mechanics though.

Yeah there are already spirits which are thematically similar to each other (Many Minds and Sharp Fangs, Vital Strength and Stone's Defiance) so I don't see a problem with them doing it.

Lure in particular is really token-heavy which suggests a way for Beguiling Fables of Fortune and Ruin (OC do not steal) to be distinct.

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

Something with longer range pulls which requires 2 chits on a spot could be fun. At least one card/power/whatever should be themed around invaders physically choking on gold

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Looking for thread help: I was telling my wife about Dice Throne and she said "So that's a play on words, right?" and I don't know which smilies to use for the feeling of not seeing it for years.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

homullus posted:

Looking for thread help: I was telling my wife about Dice Throne and she said "So that's a play on words, right?" and I don't know which smilies to use for the feeling of not seeing it for years.

fuuuuuuuuuuck

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

homullus posted:

This is the FedEx arrow all over again.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!
As someone who owns absolutely no Spirit Island stuff this seems like a perfect chance to go far too crazy and buy literally all of it.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

homullus posted:

Ah loving poo poo

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
You won't regret it, spirit island has surpassed every other game I've bought since getting in to the hobby in terms of play time

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Impermanent posted:

You won't regret it, spirit island has surpassed every other game I've bought since getting in to the hobby in terms of play time

I fully agree about this assessment. I've only been playing since Januaryish and it's already become my all-time favorite game.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I used to wonder how someone could play any game more than 100 times and not be bored to tears afterward, but then I started playing and have been playing Spirit Island for 5 years straight.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

All Aboard Games Kickstarter

There is no $1 pledge manager

The games are 1822PNW, 21Moon, 18SJ, 18NY, and 18GB.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Spirit Island is great, we love getting in over our heads and pulling out wins with the island covered in bullshit. We've played so much I'm kind of burnt out on the jagged earth spirits and they haven't even come to the steam version yet (we play there, on steam tabletop, and in person).

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

SettingSun posted:

I used to wonder how someone could play any game more than 100 times and not be bored to tears afterward, but then I started playing and have been playing Spirit Island for 5 years straight.

Whats a game you got bored of in less than five playthroughs? For me it was the Pillars of Eternity board game. Waited a year for it, four months of which was waiting for it to ship to me, and then when I played it, it was both a 100% luck based game (you draw from a deck and the cards are random) and also combat was basically 100% deterministic with nearly no random elements, being basically Magic: The Gathering. It's basically Magic: The Gathering but all of you draw from a big deck randomly, which is about as much fun as you imagine.

I've played it twice and I went all-in on that Kickstarter.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Redundant posted:

As someone who owns absolutely no Spirit Island stuff this seems like a perfect chance to go far too crazy and buy literally all of it.

I wouldn't recommend this for a few reasons. You can buy the game and expansions now cheaper than MSRP and that campaign won't be delivered until 2024.

Alternatively, you could get the app now and wait for physical if you're down with that.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I'm kind of surprised Pillars of Eternity is a big enough videogame to support a bad boardgame adaptation.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Deadfire is an excellent game for what it's worth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Are there any other spirits that have been namedropped from previous expansions but haven't been implemented yet? I know Volcano Looming High was mentioned back in I think the original Spirit Island as being the parent of one of the other spirits but idk if any others have been mentioned.