Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Yeah lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
So many people logged on to play the new card game the whole darn thing crashed.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Maybe this is a good idea to ask a dumb returning player question- I haven’t crafted anything in years and wanted to make some blue Julianos armor. I was using Dogulbon’s Lazy Set Crafter and had plenty enough mats to make the five pieces, but once I hit start it made two of them blue, one green, and two white. They had clearly been blue in the queue.

Any idea what happened?

E- I meant “a good time” but then the server came back so I was wrong anyway :smith:

Snowy fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jun 7, 2022

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Snowy posted:

Maybe this is a good idea to ask a dumb returning player question- I haven’t crafted anything in years and wanted to make some blue Julianos armor. I was using Dogulbon’s Lazy Set Crafter and had plenty enough mats to make the five pieces, but once I hit start it made two of them blue, one green, and two white. They had clearly been blue in the queue.

Any idea what happened?

E- I meant “a good time” but then the server came back so I was wrong anyway :smith:

oooh 7 min queue. lets see how long it stays up

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Did they gently caress with the graphics? Seems more muddy all of a sudden.

Update also completely broke my Custom Idle Animation setup across all characters. :suicide:

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Broad question: Is this any good now? I've kind of eyed trying it again but was always thrown off by the MMO-ness.

It's an MMO? More like a MSO. :hurr:

But, yeah the gameplay hasn't changed, it's just been streamlined. It's easy enough to ignore the other players most of the time, however.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Snowy posted:

Any idea what happened?

WEIRD

looks like it just didn't automatically upgrade a bunch of the stuff, but thankfully because of how crafting works in ESO you can just upgrade those by hand and you won't have lost anything

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Snowy posted:

Any idea what happened?

not sure how up to date lazy set crafter is, but that sounds like it's out of date (not uncommon so recently after a major update)

since tales of tribute is new and i haven't posted in forever i thought i'd try and give a run down after my testing on PTS last month. im not an expert but maybe written down might help anyone trying to get into it besides watching any number of youtube videos

it's daunting at first to be sure and the tutorial just gives you a very basic run down. i'll try my best

first off this is not a game like MTG or if you're familiar with it TES:Legends. while you can collect new decks and upgrade cards it's a bit more like poker than it is where you're stacking the deck in your favor. new decks you unlock or cards you upgrade will be shared with your opponents potentially and a big part of the game is changing strategies when you need to

the most basic rules are you have three resources gold (yellow points) prestige (blue) and power (red)

you have cards that can give either yellow points or red points. yellow points buys you cards. red points convert to blue points at the end of your turn. you need 40 or more blue points to win unless your opponent matches you and then its sudden death until someone ends up with more blue points

the other way to win is to flip all four patrons to favorable for you. this is a lot easier with npcs cause they're kind of stupid so keep that in mind grinding out earlier ranks if you dont want to play other players. all patrons have different conditions to become favorable (yellow points, red points, sacrificing cards) hover over them and they'll tell you what the cost is

------------------------------------------------------

at this point you're probably going to want to have to have played a few easy hands with npcs or it'll get very lost on you:

the biggest thing to conceptualize is each deck (patron) has a theme and a lot of basic strategies are stacking your hand (by selecting only those cards from the middle row each turn so your future hands are increasingly likely to have more of those cards) you do this because of combos, the more of the same patron you play in a hand the more effects happen. for example one of the starter decks is the crow court (purple border). playing just one may get you one gold coin. but depending on the cards if you play three or more purple cards you'll get 3 combos on the cards with combos which kind of snowball.

there's 8 decks but you only start with 4 and until you do a lot of tribute or unlock the decks (through quests, killing bosses, etc whatever) these are the four youll be looking at so ill go over the general strategies. the simplest thing is to go all in on with one right now, with few people knowing how to play the strategy will probably work but eventually you want to be flexible

crows (purple) : probably the best starter strategy deck. most the cards are cheap, individually they suck, but they have combos that if you get 3 or more in your hand can have you doubling your hand easily (like a murder of crows) pick them up every tun if you can and by the end you'll be spamming cards and points in your favor.

st pellin (red) : lots of red point cards, but wide range between amazing and just okay. your opponent and you will be fighting over these harder to stack cards but has a lot of cards that prevent opponents red points turn into winning points

hlaalu(gold): tricky deck because hlaalu cards are very expensive but if you can afford them. enough hlaalu agents you can buy out with their combo abilities the entire middle row before you spend a single coin. patron also let's you sacrifice cards for power the higher the cost of the card the more you earn

psijic cards (blue): low level npcs love these no one else does but they do draw out turns. a lot of combos that reshuffle endlessly. has some combos that let you force the opponent to remove cards (of their choosing) not my favorite. good because its the one patron you can stonewall a four patron loss cause it requires you to field an agent (which i didnt get to sorry) to turn favor

so yeah its more like poker. have a strategy but be open to changing it on how the cards dealt changes. you can pick two decks yourself that gives you a good starting point but the best players will be able to work with any deck as circumstances change

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

to clarify hlaalu deck is very expensive but if you luck into a full hlaalu hand also gives some of the highest gold (yellow point) returns, so you can buy up a bunch of other high priced deck cards from the opponent then sacrifice them for power later

as a hlaalu would

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Berke Negri posted:

first off this is not a game like MTG or if you're familiar with it TES:Legends. while you can collect new decks and upgrade cards
That's because it's not a CCG like magic, it's a deck builder. Think Dominion or Ascension. For people familiar with those it's quick to pick up. For those who aren't - you're building your deck every turn, so try to only buy cards that will help your deck, and not dilute it. Buying cards of all 4 houses means that you'll almost never get any combos going, and cards that let you remove cards from you deck can be very powerful if you use them to winnow out the weaker starting cards in favor of the more powerful cards you've bought during play.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Got the itch to play again with the new expac drop, but I'm honestly bored to death of my Necro and want to start anew. I know this is highly subjective but is there any class people consider more fun/solo friendly than others? I don't have much desire to do any group content outside the dungeon queue so no raiding or anything like that.

Preferably melee since I am sick of fire staff lol.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

you ever do daggers before? they're very strong right now and it's a very different experience

like, even Templars are using daggers

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Warden is very solo friendly and rocks in melee too.

Athaboros
Mar 11, 2007

Hundreds and Thousands!

I'm running a magplar and it can solo basically any overworld content even with no set gear, it's a lot of fun.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Oh my God the emote/memento/companion wheel. :neckbeard:

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

SplitSoul posted:

Oh my God the emote/memento/companion wheel. :neckbeard:

What happened?

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Potato Salad posted:

What happened?
There are now 4 or 5 quickslot wheels that you can switch between with left or right click.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
So how's the expansion? I bounced around early Blackwhatever but this one at least seems prettier and apparently has companions who aren't total dinks now?

I'm not much into Bretons (really was hoping for a Redguard theme) but not, like, OPPOSED to their bullshit being front and center, does this one do anything neat with the most generic humans in ES?

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007
Is there any sort of PS4 goon guild?

Bar Patron
Jun 12, 2015

Coolwhoami posted:

I was on PS4 for a bit. As far as I'm aware there's none, at least I couldn't find one. Even the PC guild has had like 5 or so people on everytime I've been on, so if there is one on PS4 its most likely dead anyway. But I don't think there ever was one.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Bar Patron posted:

Even the PC guild has had like 5 or so people on everytime I've been on,
I'll have you know there are 10 people on right now.

Bar Patron
Jun 12, 2015

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

I'll have you know there are 10 people on right now.

I barely have enough fingers to count to that many. I apologize. I am on during Australian hours though, so I probably miss most folks.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
It’s a shame though right? ESO is perfect for the 40 year old with kids demographic who get the odd half hour of gaming here and there, so I would have thought it would be more popular with goons in 2022.

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?
Been digging ESO lately. Having a lot of fun with Stamden. Cleave, stampede is so good I might respc my magplar as well.

Just finished up my oakensoul for my 1 bar mag sorc but haven't had time to really go for much.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

learnincurve posted:

It’s a shame though right? ESO is perfect for the 40 year old with kids demographic who get the odd half hour of gaming here and there, so I would have thought it would be more popular with goons in 2022.

After getting back into it recently I’m surprised it’s not more popular in general. ESO is exactly what I want in an mmo. It’s perfect chill fantasy escapism for an hour or two here and there.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Coolwhoami posted:

There are two. One has a bank - Lusty Argonian Maid. Well, technically three - I made The Cult of Ythrl, because I had to, but I’m the only one in it.

I am in a really good non-SA based guild called LOK-Goonsquad. I joined thinking it was SA goons, but it’s not. I can shoot you an invite to any of those!

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Just getting into this for some reason, @ is Ithiled if I could get an invite ~_~

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

learnincurve posted:

It’s pretty fun but a lot of content is over lowballed on combat tuning.
It’s easy to the point that content begins to feel so homogenous that I tune out.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

my big hangup is the awful combat, feels like rear end to me, all the light and heavy attacking, just let me auto attack and hit a button every so often like other mmos. ive hit like level 20 several times before losing interest because of it :(

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I quit wow after wrath and went back again to level a character and believe you me, the predictable content is a blessed relief after that hot mess. It's so bad that they are having to roll back all the skill tree stuff right back to wrath, and on top of that are also releasing wrath classic. Although if they do fix that skill shite then at least they didn't ruin battlegrounds so I'll maybe sub once in a while for those.

ESO is just the best for casuals, I don't think the end game is going to be worth sticking around for, but I'll happily pick it up again expansion after expansion. The big big draw is that with crafting I'm not locked out of poo poo I paid for just because I'm not HARDCORE, and also I've never been called names by a 14 year old warrior in ESO.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

queeb posted:

my big hangup is the awful combat, feels like rear end to me, all the light and heavy attacking, just let me auto attack and hit a button every so often like other mmos. ive hit like level 20 several times before losing interest because of it :(

If you don’t care about DPS numbers you don’t have to worry about heavy attacks other than if you run out of resources during a fight. I like to weave attacks with my sorc since I actually learned how, but I don’t bother with it on any other characters.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

queeb posted:

I don't know what other mmos feel like, so I don't know exactly what bothers you, but there are various ways to play that can be reasonably effective even for a lot vet content that don't require a lot of precision or perfect timing. You can just cast spells and not worry about weaving and occasionally chug a potion and do a heavy attack to restore, or you can use a heavy attack build where you just hold down the mouse button and cast a spell every couple of seconds, or be a sorc wearing leeching plate and/or crimson twilight with 2 pets and just cast hurricaine or boundless storm and kill everything passively (though slowly). Or just make a templar and spam jabs, jabs, jabs, and more jabs.

If you fundamentally hate active combat then nothing will save it for you, but if your issue is a specific thing or set of things making it feel too complicated then there are a variety of stripped down builds that can make the combat easier to manage while still getting you through all normal content and with a bit of effort even a lot of vet content. And if all you're interested in is questing then just making a build, any build, that has some kind of cohesion, will get you enough power to get through even just light attacking or just spamming on spell.

The game has a gigantic power gap, but all you need to do is get up to mediocre to handle most of the content.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Snowy posted:

After getting back into it recently I’m surprised it’s not more popular in general. ESO is exactly what I want in an mmo. It’s perfect chill fantasy escapism for an hour or two here and there.

this is pretty much exactly why

the majority of the content is mindlessly easy and a ton of it is lots of dialogue and essentially single player elder scrolls questing

none of that makes for engaging group play, which is fine, but I'm not super surprised the goon guild is moribund

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.
Saying eso combat is better than wow’s is a take I didn’t think I’d ever see. WoW is still the gold standard when it comes to combat responsiveness and how it feels to play, every game released since then has felt like you’re wading through mud when you push buttons.

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

ESO combat feels good on a controller where the feedback + weaving rhythm feel really responsive. I do wish they’d leaned into that a bit more, and given the animations room to breathe. It feels real silly that my guy never finishes doing a thing before he’s doing the next. And yeah a more difficult open world (or even a mythic item that acted like a difficulty boost) would get me back into the game in a big way.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Sixto Lezcano posted:

And yeah a more difficult open world (or even a mythic item that acted like a difficulty boost) would get me back into the game in a big way.

Just use shittier gear, easy peasy

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

ESO challenge mode:
Start naked with no skills no CP, nothing.

Every time you die you can do one of the following:
slot 1 piece of gear
Fill out one skill passive
Slot on active skill
Allocate points one CP node
Slot one CP node
Add 5 points to health/mag/stam
respec allocating only the same amount of things you have at the moment.

Every time you beat an enemy with over 300k health, whether alone or in group, remove one of the above.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

I mean it would be nice to have a game that’s better balanced from the start instead of having to spend time to come up with various intricate ways to gimp yourself. :shrug:

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Ort posted:

Saying eso combat is better than wow’s is a take I didn’t think I’d ever see. WoW is still the gold standard when it comes to combat responsiveness and how it feels to play, every game released since then has felt like you’re wading through mud when you push buttons.

No one said that, I said that Wow's questing is a fractured hot mess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Questing in WoW these days is easily the best part, and the zones are really nice to do it in. The problem is that everything else about that game is now garbage