Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
yes, it would have been bad for the soviets to murder hundreds of thousands of civilians to Send A Message too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Fish of hemp posted:

Would you care if Soviets had dropped a nuke on Berlin?

could it be that the popularity of this talking point implies that the war crimes of the japanese were less severe than those of the germans and that the use of atomic weapons in their cities was useful for right wing apologism since it casts them as the helpless victims of an ultrapowerful superweapon without which the imperial project of asian hegemony was not an inherently doomed endeavor the mantle of which could perhaps be taken up by another country of greater moral standing?

alas if only someone could post an article on the subject so we could discuss such a prompt in greater detail

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

the firebombing of Tokyo killed as many people as the two nuclear attacks and was also targeting civilians.

Tokyo's infrastructure was made of wood at the time so firebombing was pretty mean spirited. it was intentionally indiscriminate since the fires would spread wildly

I went to japan with my parents (I lived in Taiwan and they didn't want to visit me there lol) and a tour guide told us that Tokyo is pretty modern with few old temples because of American bombing and my mom who has a masters in history said america didn't bomb tokyo, she must mean nagasaki or hiroshima. and the lady looked pretty mad but in a very japanese way said like "I'm sorry but I think you are mistaken"

my dad said when he went to germany he had a tour guide who said "You'll notice this city has no historical architecture, there was a movement in the late 40s to build modern buildings thanks to American assistance" and he winked at him. lol

Antonymous has issued a correction as of 19:17 on Jun 12, 2022

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Anyone got a good book recommendation on the Dreyfus affair?

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/witte_sergei/status/1536374719192043525

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

StashAugustine posted:

Anyone got a good book recommendation on the Dreyfus affair?

My go-to is Barbara Tuchman's The Proud Tower even though it doesn't focus on the Dreyfus affair exclusively.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

https://mobile.twitter.com/__apf__/status/1536475785493716993

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

gradenko_2000 posted:

I'm no history major but I'm pretty sure the US did not impose an embargo on Japan because it wanted to punish the empire for their crimes against the Chinese

Maybe it was jealous. It could have been America extracting all that wealth!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
how about a Modern History Hot Take

https://twitter.com/EverydayBastiat/status/1536466904159756288
https://twitter.com/EverydayBastiat/status/1536466915337682944

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Yawn globe emoji

If there is any man among you who would kill his emperor, let him!

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

This would be easier to buy from someone who wasn't a self evident psycho

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
drat shoulda also posted the follow up "you know what doesn't show your hatred of poor people? Going to zoning meetings and demanding developers make a little more money"

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

quote:

Claude-Frédéric Bastiat was a French economist, writer and a prominent member of the French Liberal School. A member of the French National Assembly, Bastiat developed the economic concept of opportunity cost and introduced the parable of the broken window.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

linking crimethinc. absolutely haram

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/witte_sergei/status/1537115514090074112

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/artcrimeprof/status/1537553813095211015

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/SpiritofHo/status/1537489613933228033

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there

But that was a fantasy

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I was reading today about Rufus Porter, an American in the 1840's/50's who wanted to build passenger-carrying airships that could go from NYC to California in 3 days. He called them aeroports. But he had the usual inventor's problem, lack of funds. Read his intensely bitter letter to the editor that was published on 5/12/1853

quote:

What a world of fools; or rather, what a nation of skeptics and moral cowards. Look at the facts. More than ten years ago I published , described, illustrated, and demonstrated the practicability of a convenient mode of traveling safely and rapidly through the air, in any required direction; and subsequently have not only refuted all arguments against it, but demonstrated its practicability by the frequently repeated exhibition of an operating aerial steamer (aeroport or flying ship) on a small scale, and proved beyond all cavil, that this mode of traveling would be incomparatively more safe, as well as more pleasant and expeditious, than nay mode in present use; and that the cost of an aeroport of such size and proportions as to be capable of carrying two hundred passengers safely, at a good speed of one hundred miles per hour, would be less than that of an ordinary steam ferry boat; and that the earnings of this aeroport would pay more than two hundred percent per week on its cost; and that no accident or emergency could possibly occur to subject the passengers to more danger than that of a hotel residence. Yet with these facts before them, and while people are being burned, drowned, smashed and ground up by hundreds, by collisions, overturning and plunging railroad trains, and the burning of steamboats; and while thousands are exposing their lives by land journies across the thousand miles of desert and wilderness, or submitting to the hardship and dangers of a six months voyage around Cape Horn, such a total apathy, or mental disease of skepticism, and the fear of vulgar sneers pervades the community that not one man of wealth can be found in these United States, willing to furnish the requisite funds for introducing this incomparable and greatly needed improvement.

When application has been made to Congress, the subject meets with ridicule; or, if referred to appropriate committees, the members refuse to examine its merits.

When the most interesting appeals have been made public through the press, and a liberal interest (worth $500,) in the invention , has been offered to every editor who would give the proposition an insertion, only one in fifty of those whom the offer was made , deigned to notice it; and of these, three subsequently demanded cash payment for the insertion.

So goes the world, or rather, the nation; and so it will go, perhaps, till the more reasonable English or French capitalists shall have put this same aeroport in operation in Europe; when all Yankeedom will eagerly adopt the invention, and wonder that it had not been introduced before.

R. Porter

Teriyaki Hairpiece has issued a correction as of 19:18 on Jun 17, 2022

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

https://twitter.com/ahmadinejad1956/status/1405232180981338114

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
History Dads know pretty much the least about history possible (followed by White Dudes in Military Jackets) so this is more of a tragic moment

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Punkin Spunkin posted:

History Dads know pretty much the least about history possible (followed by White Dudes in Military Jackets) so this is more of a tragic moment

this is paradox gamer erasure

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Punkin Spunkin posted:

"You see, after World War I was started by Gavrilo Princip going for a sandwich after the failed assassination attempt, the Treaty of Versailles was so harsh that it forced the Germans to arm themselves."

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
*queues up episode 1 of Supernova in the East*

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/DuncanWeldon/status/1405780252257882112?t=DfHv-fg1BVsY4hVJbrjKkg&s=19

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Chamale posted:

"You see, after World War I was started by Gavrilo Princip going for a sandwich after the failed assassination attempt, the Treaty of Versailles was so harsh that it forced the Germans to arm themselves."

"The king of France had incrued massive debts by...."

Polgas
Sep 2, 2018

With one hand he saves gebs. With the other he commits goblin genocide. A true neutral.

Does anyone have a recommended history of china book for beginners?

I have a family member that's in that phase where they're getting into reading a lot of books for the first time and I asked him what kind of book would he like as a gift.

I'm asking because it's been a while since I read those kinds of books that compress a lot of info into one or a few books so i'm not up to date. Also if possible something that doesn't portray mao as mega hitler because I've noticed some of the books i've read go off the deep end once it talks about historical events after the October revolution.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Chamale posted:

Treaty of Versailles === Nazi Germany is one of my least favorite historical misconceptions

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Treaty of Versailles === Nazi Germany is one of my least favorite historical misconceptions

i blame that on foch having a moment of prophecy

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Mine is hyperinflation ---> Nazi Germany.

The worst offender is the war museum in Caen, which has a huge timeline printed on the goddamn wall showing hyperinflation in the early 20s. Then this ending. Then a bunch of Weimar Republic stuff, then the Wall Street Crash, then the rise of the Nazis, about 10 years later. So the correct timeline. But then the loving tour guide is standing directly beneath the wall talking to a class of French high school kids and telling them that Germans just got a serious case of that ~*~economic anxiety~*~ because of the hyperinflation and this caused otherwise regular people to vote nazi because they promised them jobs.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

The history of 20th century far right movements is basically just the history of the machinations of capital and an increasingly irrelevant nobility right?

That's the impression i get but id love to hear a more complete take itt

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Riot Bimbo posted:

The history of 20th century far right movements is basically just the history of the machinations of capital and an increasingly irrelevant nobility right?

That's the impression i get but id love to hear a more complete take itt

And a whole shitload of racism

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
It is sort of all of the above:

The Treaty of Versailles, the occupation of the Rhur-Rhine region, and hyperinflation did create the stage for reactionary politics, but after the relative stability of the late 1920s, it took a great depression and the rise of KPD for German industrialists to start backing the Nazis. That said, there have been studies that showed that even before that point that they were rapidly gaining strength in protestant areas with high unemployment, particularly among the self-employed and white-collar workers.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I must memorize these numbers

quote:

All told, the war’s direct costs amounted to $6.7 billion. If, upon Lincoln’s inauguration, the government had purchased the freedom of four million slaves and granted a forty-acre farm to each slave family, the total cost would have been $3.1 billion, leaving $3.6 billion for reparations to make up for a century of lost wages. And not a single life would have been lost. No one, of course, foresaw the enormous cost of the war in dollars and lives in 1861.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

https://www.gla.ac.uk/news/headline_854908_en.html

NEW STUDY SUGGESTS MYSTERY STILL SURROUNDS WHAT HAPPENED TO THE BODIES OF WATERLOO MILITARIES

Funny headline but

quote:

Were the bones of fallen Battle of Waterloo soldiers sold as fertiliser?

Thousands of soldiers died on the Belgium battlefield yet very few human remains have been found.

Now a new study by the University of Glasgow's Professor Tony Pollard suggests it is the most probable outcome of such a bloodied affair, but the archaeologist says it isn't quite a situation of 'case closed'.

Pretty gruesome.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
i don't understand how there's any ambiguity about this, i thought this was known. we have a bunch of primary sources, as alluded to in the article:

At least three newspaper articles from the 1820s onwards reference the importing of human bones from European battlefields for the purpose of producing fertiliser.

i want to say we also have advertising for it? it was just the done thing, we had very different social norms about human remains at the time, see mummy brown.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

I didn't know anything about it so it was news to me. It does make sense that a lot of bones from various battlefields must have ended up disappearing from the mass graves they were dumped in or we'd hear more about them getting uncovered.

So Brits shelling Chinese people to force them to buy drugs were likely raised on wheat grown with human bones as fertilizer then? Truly a demon people.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
I don't see the big deal. It's commendable that people back in the day used to entire soldier, when today people just use prestige parts like skulls and ears.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I don't see the big deal. It's commendable that people back in the day used to entire soldier, when today people just use prestige parts like skulls and ears.

Gold tooth in the case of Patrice Lumumba

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-61838781