Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

TWI 9.01

this might be The Wandering Inn's most specific achievement: perfectly replicating the general mood that comes over you when you step out of a party and people come looking for you
the atmosphere in this chapter was perfect, and unexpected

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

As much as I did enjoy the insane mega events of late Volume 8 in TWI, I'm much happier to go back to a slower pace in Volume 9. These first few chapters have been very nice.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

I’d really just like to read a worldbuilding bible for Pale, I got through Pact ok though it was exhausting but lmfao I am not reading 2.5 million words. But I really like the setting.

Sybot
Nov 8, 2009

Hawkperson posted:

I’d really just like to read a worldbuilding bible for Pale, I got through Pact ok though it was exhausting but lmfao I am not reading 2.5 million words. But I really like the setting.

The Extra Material section has a lot of in-universe book texts and notes on how magic works. Also some spoilers in case you do change your mind on reading.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Sybot posted:

The Extra Material section has a lot of in-universe book texts and notes on how magic works. Also some spoilers in case you do change your mind on reading.

I think Pale might win the award for the story that is the most confusing if you try and read a later chapter having not read the rest of it (I've only read the first couple chapters and just decided to look at one of the later ones; I do want to get around to reading the whole thing at some point, though).

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
TUTBAD 110: This is a very game-y dungeon. Monster remains disappear after a while, bosses block the exit once the fight starts, and Hannah finishes the chapter by telling her party to git gud.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
TUTBAD Read through this recently, I'm surprised the party agreed to enter the second dungeon without looking into the increasingly obvious ways Verity is affecting them first. I know she is trained from young age to be poo poo with communication but between Alfric and Hannah it seems like an obvious thing to discuss if not research.

Overall I've liked the story ok, but personally I find that as it adds more and more subplots that it takes its time with there is more and more stuff that disinterests me. For the last 15 chapters I found myself occasionally skimming past the smaller stuff at times. Especially the ones that aren't super important to the main party. For example I could not care less about the dragons plotline I realized eventually. And Mizuki's wizard thing is cool as a character beat but the prospect of reading about her going to wizard school very much is not (and not only because of general wizard-school-story fatigue) although it feels just as likely to be dropped, which I guess is another reason why some parts of the story are losing me a bit. I am happy to read a lot about Verity and Isra but the whole concert storyline is starting to wear a little as well since no progress keeps being made there, though at least their relationship is improving a bit. And I feel like Alfric is kind of spinning his wheels as a character right now. I was wondering if the whole Bastle thing with his aunt was gonna be a personal plotline but it seems not given how disinterested he seemed, and I'm not sure the disappearances will directly tie into Bastle Rights or the like.

E: I will say the story generally excels with recurring side-characters IMO. Kell owns, want to see more of Alfric's family too. Alfric and Mizuki's siblings in general would be fun really.

Insurrectionist fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Jun 15, 2022

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i hate to be that guy, but its a slice of life story, and if you don't like the slice of life parts, im not sure what you get out of it

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
No that's the thing, for the first ~60 chapters I liked all of the slice of life. But it feels like at the start the SOL segments tended to be scenes, or chapters, or a handful of chapters. And they generally focused intimately on the characters development and told us a lot of new things about them, or they were interpersonal within the party. The story about Cate wanting to buy the dragons doesn't really have any of that at all - Cate is still barely a character, all Isra's character development is completely independent from that storyline, the two of them barely even interact anyway and the rest of the group don't seem to care much about the dragons. There is also no actual progress in the story about her wanting to buy the dragons. It's supremely boring to me. Give me some character stuff to work with at least!

E: There's also just the element that with so many storylines, both SOL and actual important stuff, becoming longer affairs and multiplying compared to early writing, all the stories that don't hit are no longer fun small diversions but repeated plotlines that stand in the way of getting to the stuff I am super invested in. Which wasn't an issue early on because there weren't a lot of those plotlines to grasp on to nor many to get in the way.

Insurrectionist fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Jun 15, 2022

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Insurrectionist posted:

No that's the thing, for the first ~60 chapters I liked all of the slice of life. But it feels like at the start the SOL segments tended to be scenes, or chapters, or a handful of chapters. And they generally focused intimately on the characters development and told us a lot of new things about them, or they were interpersonal within the party. The story about Cate wanting to buy the dragons doesn't really have any of that at all - Cate is still barely a character, all Isra's character development is completely independent from that storyline, the two of them barely even interact anyway and the rest of the group don't seem to care much about the dragons. There is also no actual progress in the story about her wanting to buy the dragons. It's supremely boring to me. Give me some character stuff to work with at least!

E: There's also just the element that with so many storylines, both SOL and actual important stuff, becoming longer affairs and multiplying compared to early writing, all the stories that don't hit are no longer fun small diversions but repeated plotlines that stand in the way of getting to the stuff I am super invested in. Which wasn't an issue early on because there weren't a lot of those plotlines to grasp on to nor many to get in the way.

I am enjoying the story, and I think these are fair points. It might even be contributing to the author thinking of wrapping it up and moving on.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Jun 15, 2022

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Yeah, I really like TUTBAD but honestly since they neutralized Alfric's ex its felt like its tried to spin off into a ton of other background issues. But most of them don't work as well as she did.

It also has the issue of bringing up the Bastlefolk stuff for just long enough to get me really invested and then completely dropping it. That was way more interesting to me than anything they're doing now.

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry
I'm surprised I haven't found any D&D inspired stories. Plenty "magic middle ages europe" and "levelling system". But not really direct D&D/Pathfinder ripoffs. Does it not lend itself to such stories due to class restrictions or Vancian Casting? Or are Wizards of the Coast and Paizo just super litigious, making it impossible to get a Kindle Unlimited offer and the such?

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

RBA-Wintrow posted:

I'm surprised I haven't found any D&D inspired stories. Plenty "magic middle ages europe" and "levelling system". But not really direct D&D/Pathfinder ripoffs. Does it not lend itself to such stories due to class restrictions or Vancian Casting? Or are Wizards of the Coast and Paizo just super litigious, making it impossible to get a Kindle Unlimited offer and the such?

Numbers don’t go up fast enough in D&D and there aren’t enough of them.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

RBA-Wintrow posted:

This is funny considering the posts right before yours. TUTBAD is quite heavily tabletop inspired, though I wouldn't call it a blatant D&D ripoff. And yeah, it's one of the relatively few.

Edit: oh wait, you've posted about TUTBAD before. Nvm then

Cicero fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jun 15, 2022

imnotinsane
Jul 19, 2006
That's funny, I haven't seen many in western serials but I have noticed it in a couple of translated ones.

Warlock of the magus world straight up lifts the whole magic system and the forgotten realms pantheon and lore

They all kinda flow together but quite often I'll be reading something and they will chuck in God's from DnD etc but yeah warlock was the worst offender

Speaking of just ripping stuff off I think the worst offender I ever read was 48 hours a day which just straight up ripped the entire run of black sails which I guess I have to give them hats off for the audacity lol - I think everything in that series was ripped off from other stuff. I'm pretty sure it had a smattering of DnD lore too

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

RBA-Wintrow posted:

there are some fanfics like this but yeah not a lot of original litrpg that's directly tabletop-inspired. i think the issue is more with the pace of advancement - d&d leveling is neither fast nor particularly granular unless you're a wizard, and the power of a d&d prepared spellcaster expands so rapidly it's silly. too many numbers for non-litrpg fantasy, not enough for litrpg fantasy, and with a power curve that would make it hard to keep every character in the story relevant. basically, all of the narrative problems that d&d has always had, but which you don't care as much about when you're drinking with your friends and having a good time.

i would think that, if you based your story's mechanics on d&d 3.5, you could slide through the same legal loopholes that paizo did when they wholesale copied d&d 3.5's mechanics for pathfinder so i'm not sure that legal issues would be too much of a concern, but amazon might not want to risk it, that's true

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

RBA-Wintrow posted:

Most LitRPGs trace their lineage to The Legendary Moonlight Sculptor, a Korean MMO fanfiction, by way of early stuff on RR or Russian LitRPG novels. That set a ton of the conventions that get used very heavily.

The Hedge Wizard seemed pretty solidly D&D based, Roots and Steel is Monster Hunter, and I've seen few card based stories out there, but generally most LitRPGs are written and paced as MMOs but with infinite/personalized content.

At one point I did a LitRPG survey thinking "people can write any game they want without needing to actually implement it, maybe there's some interesting game design ideas out there" but uhhhhhh not really. It's all pretty similar with a different "one weird trick that breaks this system I made up" to make the main character a good little Mary Sue.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
I've seen a few D&D-type ones, but they were all extremely boring so I don't remember the names.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

RBA-Wintrow posted:

Classic completed serial Mother of Learning is heavily D&D inspired. The author just did a great job of filing off the serial numbers so most people don't notice. He's even got feather fall and spider climb spells referred to by name in there.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

Most LitRPGs trace their lineage to The Legendary Moonlight Sculptor, a Korean MMO fanfiction, by way of early stuff on RR or Russian LitRPG novels. That set a ton of the conventions that get used very heavily.

The Hedge Wizard seemed pretty solidly D&D based, Roots and Steel is Monster Hunter, and I've seen few card based stories out there, but generally most LitRPGs are written and paced as MMOs but with infinite/personalized content.

At one point I did a LitRPG survey thinking "people can write any game they want without needing to actually implement it, maybe there's some interesting game design ideas out there" but uhhhhhh not really. It's all pretty similar with a different "one weird trick that breaks this system I made up" to make the main character a good little Mary Sue.

the only ones that ever sounded like they would make an actual fun game all have the caveat of 'super human AI generates all the content so it's infinite, tailored to interest you, and paced perfectly for you'. lol. although one wonders why you'd have a game like that be structured as an mmo. whatever.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

Threadbare uses a custom system. It even got made into a tabletop paper&pencil RPG with source books and everything.

That's the only one I can think of, so I guess it's the exception that proves the rule.

Ummm... Data Dragon Danika uses a skill system where you get most of the power of a skill at level 1 to make it more fun to play with friends at different levels. Still uses a fairly generic class system, though.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

RBA-Wintrow posted:

There are some I can think of.

Two Year Emperor is about a guy who gets isekai'd to be an emperor and save a kingdom in the world that runs on D&D 3.5 Rules As Written by using all the dumb exploits players have thought of over the years. The D&D bits are fun, but I found characterization of many characters really annoying.

Harry Potter and the Natural 20 is about a kid from a D&D-rules world who ends up in Hogwarts and is baffled by how reality works different in this bizarre new world. It was alright, if a bit fanficcy for my taste. (I don't normally read fanfic.)

I also have a vague idea for a D&D isekai webnovel that I suspect I'll never actually write. The gimmick would be "the guy gets isekai'd into his hilariously overpowered level 40 tiefling/aasimar/changeling/elf wizard self-insert DMPC that he statted up for laughs... but he arrives completely naked, no spellbook, and the other world is very hosed after a wizard apocalypse and there aren't exactly wizard spellbook shops around anymore."

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Mark of the Fool feels a little d&d too.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Megazver posted:

I also have a vague idea for a D&D isekai webnovel that I suspect I'll never actually write. The gimmick would be "the guy gets isekai'd into his hilariously overpowered level 40 tiefling/aasimar/changeling/elf wizard self-insert DMPC that he statted up for laughs... but he arrives completely naked, no spellbook, and the other world is very hosed after a wizard apocalypse and there aren't exactly wizard spellbook shops around anymore."

So https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/36065/sylver-seeker, except Sylver is so rad he doesn't need no stinking spellbook.

Sylver Seeker is almost enjoyable, but it leans too eagerly into the "hard man making hard choices" trope. Which is especially ridiculous because he's super powerful so it's more like convenient choices, and he always picks the most murdery option.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Jun 16, 2022

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
TWI vol 1 rewrite is neat, I forgot how much poo poo Erin ate when she first ended up in Liscor

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

uh, no

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Can someone give me a synopsis of the Outcast in Another World side story? I gave up halfway through because Jason as a character is immensely unlikable and also it feels like the author has never played a sport in their life.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Lone Goat posted:

Can someone give me a synopsis of the Outcast in Another World side story? I gave up halfway through because Jason as a character is immensely unlikable and also it feels like the author has never played a sport in their life.

Well, goon author.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
TWI 9.02: you did it, pirate. you found even more cringe. :allears:

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

90s Cringe Rock posted:

TWI 9.02: you did it, pirate. you found even more cringe. :allears:

She taunts the readers about it in the author's note after the chapter.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Megazver posted:

There are some I can think of.

Two Year Emperor is about a guy who gets isekai'd to be an emperor and save a kingdom in the world that runs on D&D 3.5 Rules As Written by using all the dumb exploits players have thought of over the years. The D&D bits are fun, but I found characterization of many characters really annoying.

Harry Potter and the Natural 20 is about a kid from a D&D-rules world who ends up in Hogwarts and is baffled by how reality works different in this bizarre new world. It was alright, if a bit fanficcy for my taste. (I don't normally read fanfic.)

I have had an idea kicking around for a WoD Vampire where the main character is a Malkavian whose whole gig is he can see his character sheet.

:drac: “Well if we finish this mission for the Primogen, that should be enough for me to pick up enough Exp to get the next level of Obfuscate and that should make the bank job for the Ventrue a cakewalk!”

:mad: “God I fucken hate Malkavians.”

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Lone Goat posted:

Jason refuses the power offered and lucks his way into winning against Baker. Towards the end of the fight he negotiates with the voices for information on Rob if he wins. He finds out that Rob is alive, level 51, got laid and that Rob is aware of and hates the voices. The only other random note that might be relevant I think was covered in the first half, when Jason is injured the government kidnaps him and attempts to experiment in him.

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry

LLSix posted:

So https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/36065/sylver-seeker, except Sylver is so rad he doesn't need no stinking spellbook.

Sylver Seeker is almost enjoyable, but it leans a too eagerly into the "hard man making hard choices" trope. Which is especially ridiculous because he's super powerful so it's more like convenient choices, and he always picks the most murdery option.

I liked Overlord so I gave this a try but bounced off the main character's personality pretty hard. He's not just an rear end in a top hat doing bad things to other assholes. He's cruel to people and tries to justify it to himself. The side characters I found fine though. But Sylver is to unlikable for me.
It's a shame because the writing is good.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
war queen: lol rip the pod

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

RBA-Wintrow posted:

I liked Overlord so I gave this a try but bounced off the main character's personality pretty hard. He's not just an rear end in a top hat doing bad things to other assholes. He's cruel to people and tries to justify it to himself. The side characters I found fine though. But Sylver is to unlikable for me.
It's a shame because the writing is good.

I find a lot of bad serials where the main character of the story is an rear end in a top hat. I don't get it, why make your main a jerk?

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Power fantasy, you can't be a prick in real life, so make your main character one. I don't read it either.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I tried to like it but it's not even a particularly good flavor of jerk. Now the guy in Double-blind is amazing. He's both the fantasy of telling the freaking sheeple how it is while also being an idiot teenager all in one, and it's very funny how often he does like... Edgy Batman monologues only to have people counter it with stuff like 'did you practice that in the mirror?'

The sylver guy is just randomly hostile like the author rolls d6's against the oblivion conversation mini game to determine how a scene goes.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Larry Parrish posted:

The sylver guy is just randomly hostile like the author rolls d6's against the oblivion conversation mini game to determine how a scene goes.
...time to write an entire serial where all the character interactions are determined by the oblivion conversation wheel

now, how often do we include "bribe"

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

DACK FAYDEN posted:

...time to write an entire serial where all the character interactions are determined by the oblivion conversation wheel

now, how often do we include "bribe"

Only Villains Do That does the latter a surprisingly large amount of times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
I think greed is an underused motivator in much of Western crappy rpg lit. Like, you got the Chinese protagonists stealing everything that isn't nailed down up to and including floor/roof tiles (shame about all the bestiality rape jokes in A Will Eternal because otherwise I could actually ever recommend it), that should be a lot more common in a D&D-inspired genre, right?