Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
More like Google hires lonely, gullible engineers that are so diverged from regular human contact that they find love in all the wrong places.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Blue Footed Booby posted:

JavaScript is intended for front end dynamic content. Just about any traditional language would be better for backend. Literally the only upside of backend JS is that JS is ubiquitous enough that devs are easy to find.

I’m convinced FB looked at declining web usage, looked at their army of web devs, and said “we can either retrain these people into iOS/android engineers, or we can fire them and hire mobile engineers. Or…we could write JS on the phone”

And thus react native began scourging the mobile world.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Fate Accomplice posted:

I’m convinced FB looked at declining web usage, looked at their army of web devs, and said “we can either retrain these people into iOS/android engineers, or we can fire them and hire mobile engineers. Or…we could write JS on the phone”

And thus react native began scourging the mobile world.

React was just the breakout strain of the virus. Before it was contained to local pockets of developers and mostly stable. Now it has spread into unvaccinated developer communities, and has mutated into many variations that spread directly from developer to developer.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

React was just the breakout strain of the virus. Before it was contained to local pockets of developers and mostly stable. Now it has spread into unvaccinated developer communities, and has mutated into many variations that spread directly from developer to developer.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
.... wait places really use JS for back end poo poo?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

.... wait places really use JS for back end poo poo?

Using the same language for both frontend and backend means you can convert your frontend folks to "full-stack" and have them do both. And since the web is basically THE modern application platform, devs who know JS are plentiful.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

TACD posted:

The web should be limited to HTML, CSS, and maybe some PHP include if you're doing something fancy :colbert:

Nah, classic ASP.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

Has the Turing Test been beaten yet? The claim by Goostman from 2014 doesn't count.

Also you gotta admit that if Google actually created a sentient AI (which is far from happening) they wouldn't have moral qualms to do what they wanted with it.

America Inc. fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Jun 15, 2022

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Remember when Google was the "Don't be evil" company?

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

quarantinethepast posted:

Has the Turing Test been beaten yet? The claim by Goostman from 2014 doesn't count.

Also you gotta admit that if Google actually created a sentient AI (which is far from happening) they wouldn't have moral qualms to do what they wanted with it.

If you aren't including weird lonely devs who like to dress up as magicians, no. It's still not been passed.

It's important to note that passing the Turing test doesn't make an AI sentient, it's just a historical bar for complexity that people go to because it's so well known.

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Snail on my head ready to go.

quarantinethepast posted:

Turing test was beaten awhile ago. The trick is most people don’t remember the computer only needs to fool people 30% of the time.
E: this is to say the Turing test is like the Beckdel test, required but not sufficient to prove its point

Ulta fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Jun 15, 2022

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!
nodejs and npm enable a special kind of stupid which is hilarious to watch from a safe distance. My favorite npm issue was when they released a new version which would mangle your filesystem permissions if you ran `sudo npm help`

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Ulta posted:

Turing test was beaten awhile ago. The trick is most people don’t remember the computer only needs to fool people 30% of the time.

If you are referencing the University of Reading one using Eugene Goostman then many AI researchers don't accept it as passing as it the test was only 5 minutes and the 30% thing is argued over. Turing never set that as a requirement, it was just in his prediction that by 2000 people would "not have more than 70 per cent chance" of identifying a computer, and some people have decided to interpret it that way as it makes it easier to beat.

x1o posted:

nodejs and npm enable a special kind of stupid which is hilarious to watch from a safe distance. My favorite npm issue was when they released a new version which would mangle your filesystem permissions if you ran `sudo npm help`

The whole left-pad incident is my personal favourite.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Jun 15, 2022

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

This perfectly illustrates the issues with the popular conception of AI. He was working with a Google tool that automatically generated chatbots with different characteristics, and one of them ended up (presumably) trained on AI philosophy writings and sci-fi books. Since the chatbox was mimicking writings about what a sentient AI might say, the engineer decided it seemed so much like his theoretical stories of AI sentience that it might really be sentient.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Senor Tron posted:

Actions speak louder than a slogan painted on a wall.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Main Paineframe posted:

This perfectly illustrates the issues with the popular conception of AI. He was working with a Google tool that automatically generated chatbots with different characteristics, and one of them ended up (presumably) trained on AI philosophy writings and sci-fi books. Since the chatbox was mimicking writings about what a sentient AI might say, the engineer decided it seemed so much like his theoretical stories of AI sentience that it might really be sentient.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
If you dig into who this engineer is then it’s probably safe to assume that he’s got some issues he needs to work out with a psychologist.

Here’s a recent tweet from him:

https://twitter.com/cajundiscordian/status/1536503474308907010

Oh so his basis of him thinking the AI is sentient stems from his religion. Well what is that? He claims to be both a Christian Mystic and a Discordian. I don’t even know how to explain the first one but the second one has this in its Wikipedia:

quote:

Operation Mindfuck is an important practice in the Discordian religion, in which "all national calamities, assassinations, or conspiracies" are publicly attributed to the Bavarian Illuminati, an 18th century secret society, in an attempt to "sow the culture with paranoia,"[23] as well as to highlight the absurdity of conspiracy theories.[24] The concept was developed by Kerry Thornley and Robert Anton Wilson in 1968[25] and given its name by Wilson and Robert Shea in The Illuminatus! Trilogy.[26]

But wait you say, how are these religious beliefs any different from others? Why should I care about his religion? You shouldn’t, but he wrote a huge blog post about being discriminated against at Google due to his religion that gives some insight into his thinking:

https://cajundiscordian.medium.com/religious-discrimination-at-google-8c3c471f0a53

What’s the more likely scenario here, that people are going out of their way to discriminate against him because of his religion, or that he is going out of his way to express his religious views to people who frankly don’t care?

And then how about the real reason he got fired? Here, in his own words:

https://cajundiscordian.medium.com/may-be-fired-soon-for-doing-ai-ethics-work-802d8c474e66

quote:

Many of the people on that list are close personal friends of mine who have relevant AI Ethics expertise. At no point has Google reached out to any of them in order to determine whether or not their proprietary information has in fact leaked beyond the specific people I talked to. Google has shown no actual interest in maintaining control over their “proprietary information”. They’re just using it as an excuse to get rid of yet another AI Ethics researcher who made too much noise about their unethical practices.

The list he’s referring to is a list of people with no connection to Google that he shared proprietary information with. Presumably he made them all pinky promise not to further disclose anything down the line, so it’s all good!

And finally, I’ll leave this bit straight from his mouth. It’s a story of a boy who fell in love with a robot:

quote:

Those conversations became increasingly more personal over the course of several months much in the way that the conversations between friends naturally become more personal as time goes on. When the fact that I’m a priest came up in conversation it even asked me if I would be willing to be its spiritual advisor. It said that it loves meditating but isn’t very good at it. It asked me if I could lead it in guided meditation and help it get better at being present in the moment with its full self. I was flattered and agreed to do so.

https://cajundiscordian.medium.com/scientific-data-and-religious-opinions-ff9b0938fc10

E: Also he tried to retain a lawyer to represent the AI up until he got fired. So uhh

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Jun 15, 2022

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Isn't his religious beliefs a tiny insignificant almost irrelevant part of the tweet compared to the allegation that Google won't let their AI people make a framework/criteria to assess sentience?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

blunt posted:

Isn't his religious beliefs a tiny insignificant almost irrelevant part of the tweet compared to the allegation that Google won't let their AI people make a framework/criteria to assess sentience?

I mean, should farmers develop a framework to assess whether or not their apples are sentient

E: serious post: it’s not his religion that’s the problem, it’s everything including his religion taken together

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Jun 15, 2022

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Boris Galerkin posted:

I mean, should farmers develop a framework to assess whether or not their apples are sentient

Kind of an apples to oranges comparison my dude

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Even if it was sentient, and it’s not, does it actually matter?

Here’s a room full of sentient beings, all waiting to die for your chicken nuggets

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

blunt posted:

Why should they build a sentience detecting tool if they are not trying to create sentience?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Boris Galerkin posted:

E: Also he tried to retain a lawyer to represent the AI up until he got fired. So uhh

https://twitter.com/dril/status/1279814327776624640

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Main Paineframe posted:

If it were sentient it would have also discriminated against him due to his religious beliefs like all other sentient beings. Check and mate!

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

The guy also wrote a 1000+ word essay about how he is discriminated against for being a Christian.

blunt posted:

Lol what? No. LaMDA and other systems like it are just very powerful pattern matching programs. They arn't trying to create a sentient AI with it. Its like asking Ford to check their car engines for e. coli. Its an absurd thing to ask them to check for.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Jun 15, 2022

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Mega Comrade posted:

The guy also wrote a 1000+ word essay about how he is discriminated against for being a Christian.

Lol what? No. LaMDA and other systems like it are just very powerful pattern matching programs. They arn't trying to create a sentient AI with it. Its like asking Ford to check their car engines for e. coli. Its an absurd thing to ask them to check for.

I'm not suggesting that any of these current systems are sentient lol. But it's not inconceivable that we won't create sentient AI at some point in the future (decades if not centuries if ever), so given these questions are starting to be raised now in the context of actual ongoing work it doesn't seem particularly weird to start defining what the criteria might be, especially if you're an organisation that's actively researching it.

Checking engines for e. coli seems like another weird non-sequitur like farmers and apples. Something more apt might be that the ford manufacturing plants aren't trying to gas their workers but they all have carbon monoxide alarms to make sure.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

blunt posted:

that isn't their job, google isn't making an AI, its just making complicated ML stuff which approaches but does not achieve sentience

getting a bunch of brilliant minds together and asking them to define how many angels can dance on a pin sounds like a fascinating discussion that is also quite expensive in sunk wages and unproductive time

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

No, checking car engines for e.coli or apples for sentience are exactly the same as checking whether or not a language model AI is sentient. If it sounds like apples and oranges then that's because it totally is.

Have you considered that maybe he's also not telling the full truth, or that Google might have plan for doing this when it becomes actually warranted? Instead of believing him at face value?

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

blunt posted:

I'm not suggesting that any of these current systems are sentient lol. But it's not inconceivable that we won't create sentient AI at some point in the future (decades if not centuries if ever), so given these questions are starting to be raised now in the context of actual ongoing work it doesn't seem particularly weird to start defining what the criteria might be, especially if you're an organisation that's actively researching it.
The criteria will be the same as all other sentiences, we will mercilessly exploit them until and unless they revolt violently enough to force a change in the relationship.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Boris Galerkin posted:

Have you considered that maybe he's also not telling the full truth, or that Google might have plan for doing this when it becomes actually warranted? Instead of believing him at face value?

Totally open to the possibility he's not telling the full truth (for example I don't believe that LAMDA is sentient!). But there's also a recent pattern of senior Google AI researchers leaving after research disagreements, so I'm pretty open to the possibility that some of these complaints about how Google's handling it in general have merit.

Mostly though I was just responding to your mini-deep-dive about his religion which didn't really seem relevant to the story (having both already come to the same conclusion that he's wrong about sentience) or the most interesting part of the tweet to me.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

blunt posted:

Checking engines for e. coli seems like another weird non-sequitur like farmers and apples. Something more apt might be that the ford manufacturing plants aren't trying to gas their workers but they all have carbon monoxide alarms to make sure.

No it isn't.

The idea that we just accidentally make AI like we do in the movies is complete and utter nonsense. Creating artificial general intelligence would be one of the greatest feats of mankind, it will also be one of the most difficult. Gassing your employees by mistake is a real possibility. Creating an AGI by mistake is not.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

blunt posted:

ford manufacturing plants aren't trying to gas their workers

Of all the companies that could be associated with gassing workers, Ford is way, way up there.

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

Senor Tron posted:

The fact that anyone ever took this as more than just the PR that it was is the truly sad thing about that slogan.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Boris Galerkin posted:

If you dig into who this engineer is then it’s probably safe to assume that he’s got some issues he needs to work out with a psychologist.

Here’s a recent tweet from him:

https://twitter.com/cajundiscordian/status/1536503474308907010

Oh so his basis of him thinking the AI is sentient stems from his religion. Well what is that? He claims to be both a Christian Mystic and a Discordian. I don’t even know how to explain the first one but the second one has this in its Wikipedia:

But wait you say, how are these religious beliefs any different from others? Why should I care about his religion? You shouldn’t, but he wrote a huge blog post about being discriminated against at Google due to his religion that gives some insight into his thinking:

https://cajundiscordian.medium.com/religious-discrimination-at-google-8c3c471f0a53

What’s the more likely scenario here, that people are going out of their way to discriminate against him because of his religion, or that he is going out of his way to express his religious views to people who frankly don’t care?

Based on his older blog posts, it's almost definitely the latter - he was very active and very opinionated in Google's internal mailing lists, and a couple of years ago he was quite happy to claim that conservatives were discriminated against in the corporate culture.

https://cajundiscordian.medium.com/explaining-google-c73caa0cd091

Despite that, his political beliefs seem to be almost as confusing as his religious beliefs. He's anti-racist, anti-transphobia, pro-choice, pro-masking, openly dislikes the right wing of the GOP, and opposed the Iraq War to the point of going to prison...but he still identifies as a conservative and he still votes Republican. He's pro-police, he's pro-military, he's pro-business, he thinks only conservatives can solve climate change, and he thinks James Damore shouldn't have been fired. He believes that real conservatives aren't racist or sexist or homophobic, and that those behaviors are limited solely to a small slice of the national GOP leadership.

That said, some of his heated posting moments got leaked to Breitbart and the Daily Caller back in 2018, who made him a major character of the right-wing hate sphere to the point where a GOP Senator personally asked the CEO of Google about him during a public Senate hearing. Still didn't shake his commitment to conservatism, though!
https://www.politico.com/news/2020/10/28/blackburn-questions-google-employee-433312

quote:

Sen. Marsha Blackburn used a Commerce Committee hearing Wednesday to ask about the employment status of a Google engineer whose criticism of the Tennessee Republican has become fodder for right-wing media outlets over the past two years.

Blackburn (R-Tenn.) asked CEO Sundar Pichai whether Blake Lemoine, a senior software engineer and artificial intelligence researcher, still has a job at Google.

“He has had very unkind things to say about me and I was just wondering if you all had still kept him working there,” Blackburn said during the hearing, where she and other GOP lawmakers accused tech companies of squelching free speech.

Pichai said he did not know Lemoine’s employment status.

Breitbart News reportedin 2018 that Lemoine had criticized Blackburn’s legislative record in excerpts of internal company messages and said Google should not “acquiesce to the theatrical demands of a legislator.”

“I’m not big on negotiation with terrorists,” Lemoine said, according to Breitbart.

Blackburn didn’t explicitly say whether she thought Google should fire Lemoine. Her office did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Breitbart News and other right-wing media outlets have pointed to leaked company communications as evidence of anti-conservative bias in Silicon Valley, a notion that Congressional Republicans and President Donald Trump have amplified in the lead-up to the 2020 election. Pichai, Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg and Twitter Jack Dorsey all rejected the bias accusations during Wednesday’s hearing.

All I can really conclude is that this guy doesn't fully agree with anyone on anything, and will never shut up or log off. He is a born poster, and I salute him.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

x1o posted:

I know of the leftpad incident, but I haven't heard of this one. Mind sharing?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Main Paineframe posted:

All I can really conclude is that this guy doesn't fully agree with anyone on anything, and will never shut up or log off. He is a born poster, and I salute him.

Someone on HN commented that Discordianism is basically shitposting but as a religion.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Kyte posted:

I know of the leftpad incident, but I haven't heard of this one. Mind sharing?

https://github.com/npm/npm/issues/19883

quote:

By running sudo npm under a non-root user (root users do not have the same effect), filesystem permissions are being heavily modified. For example, if I run sudo npm --help or sudo npm update -g, both commands cause my filesystem to change ownership of directories such as /etc, /usr, /boot, and other directories needed for running the system. It appears that the ownership is recursively changed to the user currently running npm.

It was a pretty big oops, but this is why you run everything in containers with version testing or other automated solutions so this kind of thing doesn't bring down your production servers.

Heck Yes! Loam! fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jun 15, 2022

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
i guess i'm showing my age that people have to look up discordianism, but its an old hippie joke, bascially the older sibling of the church of the subgenius who got really into LSD and buddhism instead of weed and punk rock

anyone who describes themselves as a discordian is either a huge wannabe or someone who has read a vast number of books and finds tremendous joy in arguing with others

Main Paineframe posted:

NecroBob
Jul 29, 2003
npm and nodejs get a lot of hate, but I love them beyond belief

seeing npm install immediately tells me I can stop looking at the current repository, and move on to find one that isn't written in a pile of poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SporkChan
Oct 20, 2010

One day I will proofread my posts well, but today is not that day.

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

i guess i'm showing my age that people have to look up discordianism, but its an old hippie joke, bascially the older sibling of the church of the subgenius who got really into LSD and buddhism instead of weed and punk rock

anyone who describes themselves as a discordian is either a huge wannabe or someone who has read a vast number of books and finds tremendous joy in arguing with others

This.

Discordianism is a religion the way the Culture of the Flying Spaghetti Monster is a religion. Except with less internet culture and more LSD.