Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
I remain entertained by the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
also that had to be the poorest showing by the stormtroopers yet

like drat you just let the pathers hand to hand combat you to death

shameful

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Alan Smithee posted:

also that had to be the poorest showing by the stormtroopers yet

like drat you just let the pathers hand to hand combat you to death

shameful

That’s just Stormtrooper tactics, honestly. Keep charging until you overwhelm was the typical strategy for them in WW2, as well.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

Anita Dickinme posted:

That’s just Stormtrooper tactics, honestly. Keep charging until you overwhelm was the typical strategy for them in WW2, as well.

Make way for Sun Tzu here.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

vader really needed to say "you think spinning is a good trick?" as he stopped reva's sabers

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern
Good god, that Anakin flashback. I liked the energy and the fight choreography, but if they managed to deepfake a young Mark Hamill, they could have done a little better than essentially this:

EDIT: Good thing Tatooine has at least one Mod shop where Reva can get herself fixed up.

Dave Syndrome fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Jun 15, 2022

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Dave Syndrome posted:

Good god, that Anakin flashback. I liked the energy and the fight choreography, but if they managed to deepfake a young Mark Hamill, they could have done a little better than essentially this:

You people aren't ever happy! Put hours into deepfaking someone and you say it looks robotic. Just have the guy on set and you say he looks too old.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

Necrothatcher posted:

You people aren't ever happy! Put hours into deepfaking someone and you say it looks robotic. Just have the guy on set and you say he looks too old.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

i mean was dave syndrome specifically knocking deep fakes

i say recast anakin with jesse plemons but with more aging using benjamin button technology

Star Wars Camaro

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

"When Kenobi's apprentice for ten years you are, look as good, you will not."

At least they were faithful to AotC; mayhaps too faithful

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007

Alan Smithee posted:

i mean was dave syndrome specifically knocking deep fakes

For the record, the second Luke deepfake (when he's training Grogu) was excellent.
I just could have done with a few less wrinkles on Anakin. Other than that I was impressed, the guy is in great shape.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Spermando posted:

This has been a problem since 1977. Why isn't every Jedi battle a race to see who can choke the other first?

This is kind of shown in episode 3 when Anakin and Obi Wan tried using the Force against each other. When youre even, it becomes a Dragon Ball beam battle, so you just saber each other around for an opening. You can only Force screw with another Force user when you're way better or the other person is off guard.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Them saying gently caress the de-aging was perfect. Just two great actors acting and having fun. I’m glad they did it that way. You can also just argue it wasn’t even a flashback but more of a telepathy engagement they had, and that’s what Anakin would have looked like had he not been Vaderfied.

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

Make way for Sun Tzu here.

:smug:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

should have shot it using present day jake lloyd

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

he looked fine and it is much easier to suspend one's disbelief over an unaltered image of an older person playing young than over the worst cgi since the power rangers movie

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

R. Guyovich posted:

vader really needed to say "you think spinning is a good trick?" as he stopped reva's sabers

Give this man the million dollars

Also finally a live action spinnie saber

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

but with the force

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Anita Dickinme posted:

That was the best Star Wars we have been blessed with since ESB and I’ll die on this hill. :colbert:

Also Hayden! :swoon: I absolutely love the fact that they didn’t even bother with de-aging him. It’s like how I wish Solo would have been with having Harrison Ford play his young self and everyone asking him why he looks so old and he’s only 20 with him replying, “what the hell are you talking about?” every time. :allears:

Really? Best since ESB? And you have an Ahsoka avatar? I call bullshit or maybe that's a joke. I can't tell with how people gobble anything up if they see callbacks.

This episode was merely fine. The flashbacks to the fight mirroring the struggle with Obi Wan in the present was a big "we get it :smugjones:".

"See, Obi cause Anakin had the upper hand!"

"And now, he tricks Anakin and shows him he can't always win!"

Zzzzz.

Vader going HAM was pretty good and I guess he spent all his force points on taking the first ship down in a second to capture the other which was apparently right behind this one.

E: Also The Star Destroyer just lets them leave I guess.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Vader just standing there in front of the piddly little fire in that last episode like 'welp' while the droid sllllloooowwwwlly drags Obi-Wan away to safety was hilarious. If only I could jump high in the air, go around, levitate, create a bridge by knocking a bunch of poo poo into the fire, just walk through it with my armor/the force, get an airspeeder or spaceship to quickly transport me, etc. That they ADR'd a stormtrooper yelling "There's no way around!" from offscreen in anticipation of such objections was so funny.

Will Of The Wisp
Jan 27, 2009

Vintersorg posted:

Vader going HAM was pretty good and I guess he spent all his force points on taking the first ship down in a second to capture the other which was apparently right behind this one.

I guess if anger makes one strong in the force, you just have to wait Vader to spend his initial rage. He gets spent and you are safe.

I always reasoned that force users used lightsabers as weapons because the crystal was force sensitive and would naturally disrupt force fields or something so it was also a fickle shield against direct force attack. And we even see them absorb force lighting. My head canon.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Alan Smithee posted:

Tai chi Vader owns lmao

This was what I wanted Yoda to do when fighting in the prequels, not that Tasmanian Devil Spider-Man stuff. And it made more sense for someone like Yoda who was not on the Dark side to give up weapons to be more defensive or Judo-like and fight without being directly physical. Oh well.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Vintersorg posted:

Really? Best since ESB? And you have an Ahsoka avatar? I call bullshit or maybe that's a joke. I can't tell with how people gobble anything up if they see callbacks.

This episode was merely fine. The flashbacks to the fight mirroring the struggle with Obi Wan in the present was a big "we get it :smugjones:".

"See, Obi cause Anakin had the upper hand!"

"And now, he tricks Anakin and shows him he can't always win!"

Zzzzz.

:smug:

Lobok posted:

This was what I wanted Yoda to do when fighting in the prequels, not that Tasmanian Devil Spider-Man stuff. And it made more sense for someone like Yoda who was not on the Dark side to give up weapons to be more defensive or Judo-like and fight without being directly physical. Oh well.

I’m pretty sure it’s safe to say that prime Vader is more powerful than Yoda. Midichlorian count/chosen one or whatever.I mean Yoda was able to stop force lightning with his hands, though so that’s still a feat.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
He was just loving with her because there was such a massive power inbalance.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Episode was good, RIP Tala and Ned, the second best characters in this show after Leia.

For the record, I never had an issue with deaged Luke in Mando s.2. so I really wish they had used the deaging tech from BoBF on Hayden. I still liked the episode and all, but all I could think during the Hayden scenes was how much they were going to be eviscerated online and it looks like I'm not wrong.

Spoilers for "Our Flag Means Death" Maybe Reva learned where to get stabbed and she's just fine.:v:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
That was a very fun episode. If only the first four were more like that.

One thing I don't understand - in Reva's fight with Vader, he broke her lightsaber in half. But, after he left, she reached out for it and it was intact.

Editing error, or did I miss something?

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
I thoroughly enjoyed the poo poo out that episode! Flashbacks were cool, very fun to see Mullet Obi-Wan again. Vader just ripping the drat ship out of the sky was awesome, as was his fight with Reva. Dope Vader poo poo is what I am here for and it is what I got.

If I have one complaint its that they kept having the "you want to kill Vader, let me help you" conversation entirely too close to Stormtroopers who, I guess, were deaf or listening to Jizz Music in their helmets or something. Not a one was like "Hey this lady wants to kill the boss, seems bad"

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Anita Dickinme posted:

I’m pretty sure it’s safe to say that prime Vader is more powerful than Yoda. Midichlorian count/chosen one or whatever.

Sure, but that doesn't mean he has to be the only one who can do it. I doubt power levels were the reason for Yoda's fighting style anyway.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Darth TNT posted:

Also, is it me or is Lola like the worst children's toy ever. She's a fully functional droid that floats and comes equipped with useful play features like a tiny circular saw and a tiny bolt cutter. :psyduck:

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010
Personally I think Lola is completely consistent with the safety standards, and child safety standards, we have seen in a galaxy far far away.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Megillah Gorilla posted:

That was a very fun episode. If only the first four were more like that.

One thing I don't understand - in Reva's fight with Vader, he broke her lightsaber in half. But, after he left, she reached out for it and it was intact.

Editing error, or did I miss something?

Inquisitor blades came come apart to two blades. They’re extremely awesome lightsabers that do silly things but they’re cool. But I’m not sure why it’s suddenly put back together like that, either. :shrug:

Lobok posted:

Sure, but that doesn't mean he has to be the only one who can do it. I doubt power levels were the reason for Yoda's fighting style anyway.

That’s fair, but I just assumed Yoda used the force to be able to move the way he does during a duel. Like I don’t think Yoda is powerful enough to straight up stop a lightsaber, or maybe just not confident enough to attempt it. But as we see in this fight Vader is definitely confident enough to just gently caress around with Reva and allow the chance of a lucky hit, so him taking the chance of losing focus for a split second and get his poo poo chopped off seems on brand with Anakin/Vader.

Also Anakin/Vader is a show off, drama queen so Yoda is probably just like, “gently caress ever doing that there’s no reason to when I have a perfectly good lightsaber” meanwhile Vader uses force wind to make his cape flutter in space in Rogue One. :v:

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

well some of the vader stuff was kind of neat at least.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
I hope that in episode 6 when ghost Qui Gon shows up, his only words are him complaining about being the only person in this universe to die from being shot/stabbed in the gut and he hangs up before even acknowledging Obi Wan.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

the olllllllllllllllllllllllllllll decoy spaceship trick

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

That DICK! posted:

the olllllllllllllllllllllllllllll decoy spaceship trick

At first I don't think I saw it was behind it the whole time but they do establish it in a scene prior.

But is that the same ship in the background here?

This makes it look like it's right behind it the entire time:

For some reason the scaling seems off though.

The ship looks absolutely tiny when he's trying to bring it down.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

So who was flying the decoy ship?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Vintersorg posted:

Star Wars always has wars because every faction is equally incompent, making both tactical and strategic victories impossible.

I didn't read the Obi-Wan/Anakin duel as a flashback. I saw it as going on in Vader's mind.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

thrawn527 posted:

babu frik

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
My take is it probably depends how strong you are with the Force. Reva ain't poo poo, she never finished her training and she works in a hostile workplace environment that doesn't want anyone getting too good, so Force Tai chi works a treat. Dooku and Palpatine were proper Force gangstas so Yoda had to bust out the lightsaber. See also mojoless loser Obi-Wan in the third episode getting hoisted up like he ain't poo poo - that ain't gonna work again if they meet next week.

Anyway, I dug the ep, it was a huge improvement over last week's farce, though there was still some dumb poo poo here and there and they offed the two best new characters in the whole drat thing - RIP Tala & NED, booooo.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

teagone posted:

Obi-Wan gaslighting Reva into just outright attacking Vader is pretty lol. What a dick.

Did anakin not try and kill her and her friends? That’s not what that word means lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

thrawn527 posted:

Poe Dameron. They knew he'd live