Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
The demo has done the impossible and made me miss White Clouds.

I feel it’s particularly egregious for the Deer and kind of annoying for the Eagles that everyone just comes together post-skip. The Deer in particular have this problem, and I think the game is very much counting on me smoothing this over with my 3 Houses character perceptions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Clawtopsy posted:

I feel it’s particularly egregious for the Deer and kind of annoying for the Eagles that everyone just comes together post-skip. The Deer in particular have this problem, and I think the game is very much counting on me smoothing this over with my 3 Houses character perceptions.

It would be a pretty terrible Warriors game if we had to do all the white clouds poo poo before the game properly started.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Folt The Bolt posted:

Also, thanks to the latest update, I have managed to figure out what is likely to 99% be Shez's actual learned spells once you get through the classes needed:

I am stupid and forgot to account for Shez's exclusive promoted class; Asura! He learns one additional spell when you train the Asura class.

quote:

Reason:

Blizzard
Mire B
Banshee Θ
Luna Λ
Dark Spikes Τ

Faith:

Heal
Nosferatu
Physic

Shez now learns the same amount of spells as Byleth does, and with a clear focus on Reason spells, especially Dark Magic.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
Forgotten half of what goes down in Three Houses so finally doing the one route I never bothered with to refresh my memory (Silver Snow) and White Clouds sure is more tolerable when you put a two year gap after the last time you did it

Still drags a bit though

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Judge Tesla posted:

It would be a pretty terrible Warriors game if we had to do all the white clouds poo poo before the game properly started.

It would, but there’s got to be some middle ground between we’ve known each other three weeks and that has given Marianne the strength to not kill herself and 12 hours of naruto running around the monastery handing sylvain back his lost respect for women

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Imho white clouds definitely could have used some more representation. Like maybe have us skip ahead in 2-3 month intervals with a little bit of running around the monastery to make it plausible that everybody got a one year education together, with a central hub where you can talk to everybody before moving on to the next prologue map. Give us a small prompt to dance with somebody at the white heron cup (maybe even win it lol) and the goddess tower scene.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Oh my, I'm not usually that big on the slower Musou units but Armored Knight actually kinda kicks rear end. Nice and beefy.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Clawtopsy posted:

Oh I definitely felt that. The classes really are not as tightly knit as they were in 3H proper, so it feels a little strange when they suddenly reunite. It's obviously a conceit you just have to accept for the game to work, but it's certainly rough.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The game is definitely leveraging its spinoff vibes and counting on you to bring your knowledge from 3H over to sell the old characters and hoping you'll overlook it as it brushes through everything to get to the new timeskip status quo in only 2 hours.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.
Through more cross-referencing and process of elimination, have the spell lists of Monica, Rodrigue, and Holst:

quote:

Monica

Reason

Fire
Bolganone
Swarm Ζ
Meteor
Hades Ω

Faith

Heal
Nosferatu
Restore
Aura

Rodrigue

Reason:

Thunder
Fire
Thoron

Faith:

Heal
Nosferatu
Fortify
Aura

and finally...

Holst

Reason:

Thunder
Sagittae
Thoron
Bolting

Faith:

Heal
Nosferatu
Recover
Seraphim

Monica and Rodrigue generally conform to their archetypes of caster and "perfect for Holy Knight" respectively. Holst meanwhile not only is a better mage than Hilda is by having the standard fighter/caster hybrid of eight spells in total including high level spells and a non-elemental spell on his list, but also coupled with his preferred classes means he is actually tailor-made to become a Mortal Savant, with a specialization in lightning attacks, especially given that Holst, like Hilda, also learns "Essence of Lightning", and also being the only male who learns naturally learns Bolting, period. Why couldn't he be playable in Three Houses...

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Blaziken386 posted:

it only just occurred to me that the Ashen Wolves are absolutely going to be Byleth's faction, solely because they have "Ashen" in the name. There's absolutely no chance they won't be.

Also a bit late but ashen wolves are just called Wolfklasse in the Japanese versions of the games and Byleth is nicknamed “gray demon” (Haiiro no Akuma) so the connection is way weaker in Japanese. So while it makes some degree of sense from a gameplay perspective to throw the spares in with Byleth, neither thematically nor in terms of plot does it really check out. Like why would they throw their lot in with some random mercenary, and how would Byleth know of their existence or have access to them without becoming a professor at garrech mach? I guess it’s not impossible, but it seems rather unlikely to me (and would commit the cardinal sin of locking the ashen wolves for a big part of the game, probably, when I want to recruit/play them asap!)

Deltasquid fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Jun 15, 2022

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Metis of the Hallways posted:

Oh I definitely felt that. The classes really are not as tightly knit as they were in 3H proper, so it feels a little strange when they suddenly reunite. It's obviously a conceit you just have to accept for the game to work, but it's certainly rough.

I actually wonder if this might get explained as the result of Time Shenanigans. While it's still possible this game just a flat-out alternate universe with no explanation needed, the bit Arval says about "the cycle" plus Sothis and Byleth's existing access to Time Magic suggests it might turn out that this game is some kind of alternate timeline produced by someone trying to meddle with the outcome of events in Three Houses.

If that turns out to be the case, it could be that peoples' memories and perceptions are bleeding through from the original timelines, in basically the same way that our own perceptions of the characters are the product of having played the first game. It's a bit of a stretch, but even Dorothea's camp conversation where she bemoans the idea of fighting former classmates only for Shez to say "Uh we only knew them for three weeks what are you talking about" kind of feels like it's hinting at this.

Basically just make the in-universe reason for why they can skip a bunch of the setup and bonding the same as the real-world reason, because they already did all that once.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Dolash posted:

I actually wonder if this might get explained as the result of Time Shenanigans. While it's still possible this game just a flat-out alternate universe with no explanation needed, the bit Arval says about "the cycle" plus Sothis and Byleth's existing access to Time Magic suggests it might turn out that this game is some kind of alternate timeline produced by someone trying to meddle with the outcome of events in Three Houses.

If that turns out to be the case, it could be that peoples' memories and perceptions are bleeding through from the original timelines, in basically the same way that our own perceptions of the characters are the product of having played the first game. It's a bit of a stretch, but even Dorothea's camp conversation where she bemoans the idea of fighting former classmates only for Shez to say "Uh we only knew them for three weeks what are you talking about" kind of feels like it's hinting at this.

Basically just make the in-universe reason for why they can skip a bunch of the setup and bonding the same as the real-world reason, because they already did all that once.

We have terminal Homestuck brains

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Metis of the Hallways posted:

It makes sense for the Faerghus faction at least. They’re duty/honor/loyalty fixated and many are friends from birth.

Lysithea, though? A very limited lifespan to throw in with some guy you just met who oozes “I am up to something”.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

i'm unironically excited about the plot having those fanfiction time travel tropes.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Clawtopsy posted:

It makes sense for the Faerghus faction at least. They’re duty/honor/loyalty fixated and many are friends from birth.

Lysithea, though? A very limited lifespan to throw in with some guy you just met who oozes “I am up to something”.

What's important is if I can rectify the mistake that Lysithea is apparently in the wrong house again? She's clearly a Black Eagle.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Clawtopsy posted:

lysithea only got like 3 weeks of formal education and she's determined to be The Best Mage™. Therefore the next best thing is to join up with the nearest army and practice by setting thousands of enemy soldiers on fire. Clearly.

lunar detritus posted:

i'm unironically excited about the plot having those fanfiction time travel tropes.
:yeah:

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Eimi posted:

What's important is if I can rectify the mistake that Lysithea is apparently in the wrong house again? She's clearly a Black Eagle.

Some manner of recruitment system has to be in. I refuse to believe they’d take this game’s setup which is ripe for a golden ending and then make this timeline worse by forcing you to off everybody not from your house.

Clawtopsy posted:

We have terminal Homestuck brains

Yes, but

lunar detritus posted:

Also, I know this probably won’t be true but I hope Shez isn’t related to TWSITD or the Nabateans in any way. Just a random merc who got lucky in this timeline

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Deltasquid posted:

Some manner of recruitment system has to be in. I refuse to believe they’d take this game’s setup which is ripe for a golden ending and then make this timeline worse by forcing you to off everybody not from your house.

Yes, but

Also, I know this probably won’t be true but I hope Shez isn’t related to TWSITD or the Nabateans in any way. Just a random merc who got lucky in this timeline

I mean we absolutely know Shez isn't just a random merc lol. Random Mercs don't have gods in their head, or go super saiyan, or the special Dark magic only people associated with TWSITD have.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I got up to the time skip in three houses so going into this is kind of wild. Everything I knew got ran past in a prologue and even then it deviated hard.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Zore posted:

I mean we absolutely know Shez isn't just a random merc lol. Random Mercs don't have gods in their head, or go super saiyan, or the special Dark magic only people associated with TWSITD have.

Oh I mean like, a random merc who got chosen/rescued by Arval after the first mission in the prologue. A “it could have been anybody” kind of deal, not a “I was literally crafted by the Gods to become their vessel” kind of deal

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Zore posted:

It WOULD be kinda hilarious if Shez really was some rando and there just wasn't any explanation as to how a god got into their head.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Deltasquid posted:

Oh I mean like, a random merc who got chosen/rescued by Arval after the first mission in the prologue. A “it could have been anybody” kind of deal, not a “I was literally crafted by the Gods to become their vessel” kind of deal

The thing is, the intro flashback has a character who looks not only like transformed Shez but Shez as well, and they have mysterious origins with only a mother known. And Shez knows dark magic.

Either Shez is Agarthan/an experiment or, unlikely, Arval has a type :v:

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Shez has ???? as their birth date, has no idea who their birth parents are, and their hometown is in the mountains of the Leicester Alliance (aka close to Shambhala)

If Shez isn't an Agarthan supersoldier project that will be a massive red herring at this point.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Shez is real and my friend.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Thales has a line about how he's never forgiven the Nabateans for stealing the Agarthans' "light." Everyone I've talked to insists that this is just a flowery way of saying they didn't want to be mole people, but I've always maintained there's some backstory there.

obvs their light is Arval and him being in Shez' brain is not actually part of an Agarthan super soldier program, but Rhea's fault somehow

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Twelve by Pies posted:

After doing a few more battles I have to say everyone in Black Eagles is super cool and I like them all. Except, well, Dorothea I guess. She isn't bad! Just that to me, she's the most "Oh yeah, you exist" character in the roster. Maybe I will like her more after some support conversations.

I wanna say she was by far the most popular character on release of 3 houses (the game used to give you stats on who other people used)

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Pureauthor posted:

Shez has ???? as their birth date, has no idea who their birth parents are, and their hometown is in the mountains of the Leicester Alliance (aka close to Shambhala)

If Shez isn't an Agarthan supersoldier project that will be a massive red herring at this point.

One of these days Intsys is going to have to make a game where the protag is not royalty, a crafted supersoldier, a divine vessel or otherwise explicitly genetically superior and just a guy who got really loving good at his job :negative:

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

In SB they look directly at the Camera and say “wow your power is the same as Solon’s power! That’s so weird!” so if it has nothing to do with Agartha then it’s a silly subverted expectations nonsense moment.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Deltasquid posted:

One of these days Intsys is going to have to make a game where the protag is not royalty, a crafted supersoldier, a divine vessel or otherwise explicitly genetically superior and just a guy who got really loving good at his job :negative:

They are entirely uninterested in telling those stories. And considering the vocal backlash by some of the fandom to even the idea of it raised in 3 Houses, lol.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Also Fire Emblem stories have always involved medieval-fantasy politics. The closest we've had to a non-special protagonist was Kris in New Mystery and stilk stole a lot of the spotlight.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I thought Ike wasn't special, other than having big muscles and knowing sword kung fu. Did he have some magical backstory reveal in Radiant Dawn I forgot about?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I thought Ike wasn't special, other than having big muscles and knowing sword kung fu. Did he have some magical backstory reveal in Radiant Dawn I forgot about?

No, Ike is specifically a completely normal person that wasn't even born into nobility or royalty (his dad was important, but he abandoned all of that). He gets divine powers at the end of Radiant Dawn but it is literally just to kill God, from another God, and otherwise he's still a normal person that just so happens to be excellent at murder.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

His mom and Mist are the only people who can touch the Fire Emblem without going insane. And his dad was the best swordsman in the world. And he's literally the only person in the world able to wield Ragnell. They also sort of do a weird thing where they've retroactively turned Aether into something you get through a royal bloodline but that wasn't a thing in FE9 so it can mostly be ignored.

He's definitely the closest we've gotten though.

Zore fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jun 15, 2022

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Pureauthor posted:

When you kick Thales out of the Empire in CB there's some battle/map dialogue where he says "wait, are you...?" to Shez but then brushes it off, which is the closest we get to any of the slithers seeming to recognize Shez. My guess is that Arval is definitely something they made (an attempt at a fake Sothis?) but that their being implanted in Shez is not their doing. Also Shez doesn't have like amnesia or anything and in supports will talk about their past and how they were raised by their mom.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Sydin posted:

When you kick Thales out of the Empire in CB there's some battle/map dialogue where he says "wait, are you...?" to Shez but then brushes it off, which is the closest we get to any of the slithers seeming to recognize Shez. My guess is that Arval is definitely something they made (an attempt at a fake Sothis?) but that their being implanted in Shez is not their doing. Also Shez doesn't have like amnesia or anything and in supports will talk about their past and how they were raised by their mom.

Cornelia seems to recognize Shez's power as well.

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

"My dear Seth, you look absolutely dashing!"

Hair Elf

This one reads as a gameplay conceit, to me. There's nothing about it in the English script at least, iirc

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Clawtopsy posted:

It would, but there’s got to be some middle ground between we’ve known each other three weeks and that has given Marianne the strength to not kill herself and 12 hours of naruto running around the monastery handing sylvain back his lost respect for women

Marianne was never confirmed to have killed herself post timeskip...though yes, the fact that she is here instead of hiding out in a church or estate somewhere is strange.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Sydin posted:

Shez was adopted and didn't know their birth parents. So its very easy to imagine them as escaped Agarthan experiment person.

Kinda the same deal with Byleth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Zore posted:

His mom and Mist are the only people who can touch the Fire Emblem without going insane. And his dad was the best swordsman in the world. And he's literally the only person in the world able to wield Ragnell. They also sort of do a weird thing where they've retroactively turned Aether into something you get through a royal bloodline but that wasn't a thing in FE9 so it can mostly be ignored.

He's definitely the closest we've gotten though.
correct me if i'm wrong, but does ike ever actually touch the fire emblem? I could've sworn that only mist (and the herons) ever does, because one time he tried to touch it as a kid and his dad (understandably) flipped his poo poo.
And i always saw "mist can touch it without going insane" as "mist is noble and pure and doesn't have violent urges that she would act on anyways so its fine" which is very funny considering you can very easily make her into an absolute monster of a unit