Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

September releases:

Blow Out (4K)
Take Out
Exotica
Le Corbeau
Scorsese's World Cinema Project #4
Sound of Metal

https://twitter.com/Criterion/status/1537112151134969861

I'm getting Sound of Metal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

New World Cinema Project is always welcome. I saw Chess of the Wind in theaters and that slapped. Never seen anything like it.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
Sound of Metal is great but I don't know that I'd want to own it. Blow Out UHD is exciting!

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Exotica is a nice get.

Greekonomics
Jun 22, 2009

According to the website, Sound of Metal is also a 4K UHD release

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

is there a good restored collection of pam grier's mid 70s work or are criterion gonna get on that poo poo

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

is there a good restored collection of pam grier's mid 70s work or are criterion gonna get on that poo poo

Arrow Video’s done Sheba, Baby, Coffy, and Foxy Brown.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Arrow Video’s done Sheba, Baby, Coffy, and Foxy Brown.

Hell yes. Gonna be on the lookout for those. Would love to get Friday Foster as well.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Exotica really takes me back to watching 1990s CBC late at night in the summer with the sound on my tv down really low.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

It's a pretty unique film, fun to see Koteas in such a sleazy role.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
watched the CC Fear & Loathing the other night. I'm irrationally upset at the vertical line during the final freakout scene at the Flamingo. is that thing just embedded into the master reel? there's no way it's intentional, right?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

barnold posted:

watched the CC Fear & Loathing the other night. I'm irrationally upset at the vertical line during the final freakout scene at the Flamingo. is that thing just embedded into the master reel? there's no way it's intentional, right?

Likely scratched on the negative and as it's an early 2000s HD master, there wouldn't have been a way to fix it without looking worse. It would be interesting to see if the new Arrow 4K master (only released in the UK) has it.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

hell yea Le Corbeau

Carillon
May 9, 2014

gey muckle mowser posted:

Sound of Metal is great but I don't know that I'd want to own it. Blow Out UHD is exciting!

Maybe this isn't the right place to talk about my issues with that film, but I really wanted to love Sound of Metal, but bounced off the Paul Raci character. My problems with him where he felt like he was cutting off Riz Ahmed's support and controlling him. No talking or contact with your loved ones, you can't help out around the house but have to sit in boredom because I say so. Even before his exile, he was very controlling and the movie seemed to want to celebrate that rather than investigate. I loved so much about the movie, but the central relationship read more abusive than anything and I felt it wasn't talked about at all like that.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Just watched Chunking Express for the first time. I think I’ve seen one other of his films, 2046, a decade or more ago in theaters.
Really enjoyed Chunking.

Is the shop owner the best character really? Full of advice for these silly romantics.
Also Faye is too cute.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Is there a B&N sale this summer?

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

July.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Noice!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I don't think it has been announced yet, but it is traditionally July. Of course they could always stop doing them or reduce the discount. A few years back they made it so the B&N membership discount doesn't stack with the sale, which is BULLSHIT

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:
Anyone watch the Ruben Ostlund trilogy that's up on the streaming service? If so what are your thoughts on it?

I've been watching everything from Double Indemnity to Original Gangsters. I don't have a genre preference. Just good writing and screenplay.
So far this service hasn't let me down.

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer

It's happening now!

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/b/the-criterion-collection/_/N-1p0i

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
40% off at Unobstructed View as well

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

oh gently caress oh gently caress oh gently caress

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

What are the chances of True Stories getting a 4K release anytime soon?
I feel like they released the blu-ray sourced from 4K so it's just a matter of getting it on a disc right?

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I ordered 4K Citizen Kane since Amazon price matched.

Is the Red Shoes 4k as good as I’d hope?

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
I am likely going to get the War Kai Wong set after loving Chungking express. But I thought I remember some controversy with color changes or something?

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Shiroc posted:

Is the Red Shoes 4k as good as I’d hope?

Yes. This is the only Criterion I've triple dipped on.

W/r/t the Wong Kar-wai box set there was some pretty drastic regrading of the color schemes in most of the movies but it was done with his supervision. It seems to be largely a matter of personal preference as to whether they're better or worse but they are certainly different.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
I don’t have a problem with WKW reediting his movies, but I firmly believe he should have provided the original versions with the release.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
I saw the original version Chungking is on the channel. It’s not on the disc too?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Just picking up Shaft and Walker this sale. I'll grab Raging Bull when it's out too.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

checkplease posted:

I saw the original version Chungking is on the channel. It’s not on the disc too?

Nope. Original Chungking Express isn't in the World of Wong Kar-Wai box set, just the individual release.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Having watched them all recently I can say the only issues I had were with In the Mood for Love, where the new colour grading is about as close to objectively worse as it gets. The other changes either aren’t a big deal or are improvements - the Fallen Angels aspect ratio, for instance, I think makes it look much better. However, they definitely should have included the original versions.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Okay, I see what they were doing with the giant K on Citizen cover, the way it unfolds, better than I thought it was going to be

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Picked up Tales of Hoffman, Il Sorpasso and Badlands. Been wanting these for awhile.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
Ordered:
  • Pale Flower
  • Tokyo Drifter

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Local BnN was out of the World of WKW so I'll have to order online. Are there other hats pieces of HK cinema in the collection besides that and Police Story?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I mentioned earlier that my local Barnes and Noble had reduced their Criterion selection to a single book case. I was so angry at the fools at Barnes and Noble, that it didn't occur to me that that reduction in selection would have another ramification come sale time. We're in day 2 of the sale, and around 25% of the Criterions that were there three days ago are now gone. I was there just the other day for the Arrow sale, and I looked at the Criterions to think about what I would want when that sale started. But since they now only have room for one or two copies of each title, most of the movies I was planning to get were sold out by the time I arrived.

I understand that there are bigger problems in the nation right now. But I still feel like this needs to be addressed by someone with the power to change things.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Tales of Hoffman is insane(ly beautiful).

It also has some great extras on the release. Scorsese commentary, George A Romero interview, AND another musical filmed by Michael Powell, to name a few.

The opulence may not be to everyone’s taste, (it’s literally an opera, after all), but it’s a dreamy live action Fantasia. Quite an experience to behold.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
If I’ve never seen any of WKW’s films would the new transfers in that set be a detraction? The cuts are still largely the same as the original releases, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Only In the Mood. The original is just SO colourful and the new one is significantly less so

But the separate, older criterion blu with the right grading is like half the bitrate