Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

Hughlander posted:

AITA for telling my daughter she has to find somewhere else to live?

Wonder why that last bit...

Still, I'm getting vibes that the younger daughter is the favorite. What if there was something not dryer safe in the wash? Going "ballistic" over laundry being transferred to a basket vs sitting in the washer, what's the big deal? And does mom buy the older daughter treats?

Not trying to read between the lines too much but it feels like there's a lot missing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Involuntary Sparkle posted:

Still, I'm getting vibes that the younger daughter is the favorite. What if there was something not dryer safe in the wash? Going "ballistic" over laundry being transferred to a basket vs sitting in the washer, what's the big deal? And does mom buy the older daughter treats?

Not trying to read between the lines too much but it feels like there's a lot missing.

Lol yeah sure sis was looking out for her, wet clothes in a pile get smelly fast and usually needs to be washed again. Putting it in the dryer takes 5 minutes and is a nice thing to do for her sister.

She sounds like she was a bad college roommate and learned nothing about living with other people.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Jack Trades posted:

This thread and it's posters have convinced me that Pick was in fact right and engineers are in fact irredeemably evil people.

That specific point was never in dispute

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

AITA for lashing out at my brother and SIL for dropping their kids off at my place even after telling them not to?

quote:

I(30F)live with my husband and my pets. Unfortunately both me and my hubby are infertile ,me endo and him with sperm issues , so no kids and instead we help out with my brother and SIL's kids instead(4F & 1F).I'm a freelance Web developer but I work remotely from home and the timing is very flexible hence why I am able to divert more care towards my nieces. My brother and SIL make just about enough to cut even and can't exactly afford exorbitant childcare costs and would rather allocate their funds to the kids' medical and school fees.

I have been babysitting these children ever since the oldest was born and now I also handle the care of the younger one. However, recently, something really dreadful happened that is I lost one of closest friends and in a really terrible way too dont want to divulge much details. I have been in a really bad place since then and the whole emotional fatigue has made me not even want to attent to work which is why I specifically took a 2 week leave to rest and come to terms with my emotions.

Sadly, my brother feigning sympathy at first said "get some rest" and then did the exact opposite by dropping off my nieces off when I specifically told him I need this time for myself. He and SIL then countered saying that looking after my nieces would help me take my mind off things and that it was too short of a notice. The thing is I barely have any energy usually when the kids are over I also take charge of the cooking,cleaning up after the younger one.The older niece is now having June hols as compared to before when she'd just be at preschool.So now I have to attend to them simulatenously.I have no such energy to look after them like that as of now I barely can attend to my own needs. It is also a safety issue, kids need constant monitoring especially with my younger niece.

Now my brother and SIL are threatening me saying that if I'm not willing to babysit for the next two weeks, I should refund them monetarily so that they can find childcare because of the "short notice". I don't understand was I supposed to predict my friend's demise or something ? Looks like my only option is to pay them back monetarily for the childcare costs to lay them off my back. My husbands thinks it is cruel of them to make me pay, but my brother says I'm being selfish and only thinking everything revolves around my problems. I'm really torn and burned out from all this, I just need a break.I did lash out on them for calling me selfish and have yet to apologise. Do provide judgment on if they are fair, if so then I'd be willing to compensate them.

Edit: Sorry for not including this in the post, I do not get paid to watch my nieces , I have volunteered since my first niece was born cause of my flexible work hours. Thank you for the kind words and judgment by the way I am reading through all of it, grateful to all of you.

you watched my kids for free for four years??? well you need to pay me for the privilege of not watching my kids for free

quote:

I do help out for school fees and dental fees as well when my brother runs short.

i mean, pay more

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

datajugend posted:

Lol yeah sure sis was looking out for her, wet clothes in a pile get smelly fast and usually needs to be washed again. Putting it in the dryer takes 5 minutes and is a nice thing to do for her sister.

She sounds like she was a bad college roommate and learned nothing about living with other people.

What's the difference between leaving it in the washer vs putting it in a basket, though? Would younger sister have thrown a fit if the wet laundry was still in the washer?

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

No difference but tossing wet clothes to the side is still lovely.

Peg Sliderskew
Jan 4, 2010

Midnight Voyager posted:

It's almost certainly just one of those "My kid wants it and I don't think your kid should want it, so give it to me now" entitlement bullshit things.

I have a few Beanie Babies from the early years, not expecting to make a profit but just because I like/d them. They all have specific sentimental value.

I now want to sent them all to OP's son just to spite the sister further.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

Mx. posted:

AITA for lashing out at my brother and SIL for dropping their kids off at my place even after telling them not to?

you watched my kids for free for four years??? well you need to pay me for the privilege of not watching my kids for free

i mean, pay more

Wow, both the wife AND the husband are doormats. How the gently caress do people have so little respect for themselves?

deported to Canada
Jun 1, 2006

datajugend posted:

No difference but tossing wet clothes to the side is still lovely.

This actually makes me twitch from thinking about my time in the army. The amount of times that somebody would just turf your stuff out of a machine the second it ended and dump them on the floor used to infuriate me. I could understand it if people chucked it in there and wandered off for hours but you could be stood in the same drat room and people would do it.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Woodchip posted:

old sibling habits - how can I (30F) build a better relationship with my sister (28F)?

Something weird going on with this one. The sister is described in a way that reads like a perfect image of an autistic person, too perfect even. I'm also suspicious of how the new husband instantly acquiesced to her and went so far as to personally apologize. Maybe he's just that nice of a guy but I'm getting some unreliable narrator vibes, because it seems like literally everyone else in the story is pretty well aware that she's autistic and is doing their best to treat her nicely. Can't imagine why the OP might try and downplay that angle.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Mx. posted:

i mean, pay more

Even Lowtax wouldn't have wanted this persons spine

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

AceClown posted:

Even Lowtax wouldn't have wanted this persons spine

You're not kidding

quote:

The food costs yes as well but luckily diapers and formula for my niece was paid by my brother.

quote:

Thank you, but the issue is I'm pretty sure they won't be able to find replacement sooner I don't mind paying for a babysitter but SIL is adamant it has to be a daycare which is significantly costlier. She also told me that if I was going to be like this I should not have taken up the responsibility of looking after them in the first place and I'm like.. what?? I never expected this to happen. Really on the verge of losing my sanity.

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
I'm getting married next month but want to call it off because my fiance spent hours looking through his ex's photos to make sure I was really "the one"

quote:

Hi, throwaway as my stbh is an active redditor. I'll try to keep this vague no idea if he goes on this sub.

My fiance (34m) has been a bachelor until he met me 3 years ago. He's had many girlfriends but never really settled down until he wanted to get married last year.

We live together and he has a desktop computer that he has said I'm welcome to use as I (32f) please. I'm working from home now (I have a company laptop) but needed to print something so I hopped on his desktop. He was at work. I was taken aback when the browser he was using last night was still up and it was open to Facebook and on his ex's Facebook page. I know i shouldn't had done this but curiosity got the best of me and I looked at his Facebook search history. Just about every ex I'm aware of (and many woman I do not know) were in the Facebook search bar. I clicked browser history and he had spent hours doing this while I had been asleep the night before.

I did approach him that night once he got home and he said he felt the need to look through all his ex's old pics to make sure he was making the right decision marrying me. He said I shouldn't be upset because after all that he knows for sure I'm the right girl for him. These ex's went as far back as his high school girlfriend! And many of these women are married with kids now. He said he understands why I'm sad but this is something all men probably do.

Is this something that men do? I'm considering calling off my wedding. I'm hurt.

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

Woodchip posted:

I'm getting married next month but want to call it off because my fiance spent hours looking through his ex's photos to make sure I was really "the one"

"Hmm how can i get her to back out of the wedding..."

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022
So many comments defending the guy as having "normal cold feet". Looking up his exes and reflecting on his past relationships is not a bad thing in itself. But he spent hours trying to see if any of the ones who got away are still available before he settles for OP. If they do go through with the wedding, he's absolutely going to cheat on her the second someone he deems better comes along.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Evil Willow posted:

AITA For telling a coworker to stop bringing cakes to the office?

Lol. The plight of the emotional jellyfish as they float around at the mercy of the currents.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
AITA for making this joke at gymy wedding?

quote:

I (26M) and my wife (25F) just got married last weekend. It was a nice large gathering, all of our family and friends attended. The day was going wonderfully, we both said our vows and then 'I do', you get the picture. I had decided to speak at the wedding in front of everyone to recap how happy I we are, how much we appreciate that everyone came, etc.

Here's when I decided to make a joke that my wife (and some others) found very inappropriate. While I was finishing off my speech, I said "For our honeymoon, we're gonna take her back to her home in Whore Island." My wife looked petrified. There was an awkward silence and a sense of shock in the crowd. I didn't know what to do. So I kinda doubled down on it. I turned to my wife and said "oh don't act like you don't know" and I winked at her. She looked horrified.

I guess everyone else doesn't have the same love of Will Ferrell's acting as I do.

Well anyway, for the rest of the gathering, she looked embarrassed. My MIL tore me a new one. It seemed like a lot of people were talking about me behind my back and honestly, over a stupid joke I think people should get over it. AITA?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Really was intrigued to learn about a gymy wedding. Does the groom benchpress the bride? To they exchange kettle weights? Does the officiant make them do it 5 times to really practice their form?

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

He misspelled pygmy, and Whore Island is located in the south Pacific.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Barudak posted:

Really was intrigued to learn about a gymy wedding. Does the groom benchpress the bride? To they exchange kettle weights? Does the officiant make them do it 5 times to really practice their form?

Priest yells at you if you don't wipe down the kneeler when you're done with it

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for making this joke at gymy wedding?

I'm appalled. Where was he going to go if that didn't land? Racial slurs? Denigrating terms for female genitalia? Mocking people for being infertile? How low was this motherfucker going to go?

E: dude is lucky he didn't get his rear end kicked

Uncle Enzo fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Jun 15, 2022

MK-Ultramarathon
Aug 12, 2009

Uncle Enzo posted:

I'm appalled. Where was he going to go if that didn't land? Racial slurs? Denigrating terms for female genitalia? Mocking people for being infertile? How low was this motherfucker going to go?

It's a quote from Anchorman, but I don't understand why he thinks anyone at the wedding would have picked up on that, and also even in the context of the movie it makes no loving sense to use either, not that that even matters here, because why would you say that to your own wife at your own wedding dear god

e: or to anyone ever and not expect to get your rear end kicked and deservedly

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Uncle Enzo posted:

You don't need a backup plan if you just assume everyone's instantly going to cheer and high five at your twenty-year-old Will Ferrell quote.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

run on sentience posted:

So many comments defending the guy as having "normal cold feet". Looking up his exes and reflecting on his past relationships is not a bad thing in itself. But he spent hours trying to see if any of the ones who got away are still available before he settles for OP. If they do go through with the wedding, he's absolutely going to cheat on her the second someone he deems better comes along.

I just realized that the cold feet trope was pretty common in older media, but has almost completely disappeared from anything made in this century. I think it's an artifact of boomers and older generations trying to normalize how often they married out of social pressure.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Nobody laughed at my joke. Reddit, what's wrong with them?

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
get it? it's funny because it's a movie reference, and also because it calls my wife a whore

jeez, whatta tough room

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

ponzicar posted:

I just realized that the cold feet trope was pretty common in older media, but has almost completely disappeared from anything made in this century. I think it's an artifact of boomers and older generations trying to normalize how often they married out of social pressure.

So much makes sense considering boomers only got married and had kids because that was the thing you were supposed to do.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Don't recall seeing this one

AITA for making a joke about my friends 6th wedding?

quote:

Throwaway: Me (54F) and my friend "Debra" (55F) have known eachother since HighSchool. Debra recently got engaged to her BF after dating him for 2 years. This is going to be Debra's 6th marriage, and the wedding took place today. I was supposed to be her MOH again, so I was looking forward to it. 2 days ago, I called Debra and told her that I won't be able to attend the wedding. My ill Mother recently broke her leg and needed someone to stay with her for a while.

Debra was a bit sad, but she understood my emergency situation. She made a joke about how she'll have to drink double the wine to make up for my absence. I chuckled and joked back, "Don't worry, I'll just come to your 7th wedding." The call went dead silent and she just hung up on me. A few hrs later, I received several aggressive texts from the Bridesmaids. They said I was a bitch for making such a cruel joke, and that Debra had called them crying about how I "made fun of her." I feel bad and I'm wondering if I went too far. AITA?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

I don't know why her friend's crying, this one was the freebie you get after you punch five weddings in your loyalty card.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

I feel like I've seen this before :thunk:

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

It's kind of surprising they'd still trouble with public ceremonies after like the 3rd marriage. I feel like after a certain point it just becomes a court house affair.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Seth Pecksniff posted:

haven't seen this specific post before but "i'll just catch your next wedding" is an all-time classic

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Seth Pecksniff posted:

poo poo, looks like it got posted last December. Oops. Hell, Debs might be on her 7th by now :v:

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

poo poo, looks like it got posted last December. Oops. Hell, Debs might be on her 7th by now :v:

No worries! I pop in this thread occasionally so it's one that's in my memory for whatever reason

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
can i blame boomers for people thinking that they have to marry someone after X amount of time dating? this seems like something that's their fault

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

The fainting couch for whining about boomers is in the gen x thread.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Foo Diddley posted:

can i blame boomers for people thinking that they have to marry someone after X amount of time dating? this seems like something that's their fault

The OP was a teenager in the 80s.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Probably; before them you had to marry before dating!

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Her sensitivity to something you'd think she'd be aware of reminds me. I was speaking with a mid 30's faithful Mormon bachelor (extremely desirable on that dating market) about his dating life.

"Yeah, I have a tendency to get into relationships too fast. I got married to a girl I'd only known for 6 weeks, we were just so in love. Turns out she was severely mentally ill and the only reason her friends hadn't warned me was they didn't know we were dating. We got it annulled after a week. I move too fast I guess, ha ha."

Same dude, 2 minutes later:
"I'm dating a divorcee now, things are pretty serious. We're just on the same page about everything- life goals, our faith, it's amazing. I've met her kids and they're pretty awesome. We're thinking about tying the knot, pretty soon now. We're basically engaged."

I say wow that's awesome. How did you guys meet?

"At church singles activity, about two weeks ago. I really feel like she's the one"

:eyepop: (I swear this is a true story)

Lesson learned: there is no limit to how blind a person can be to their own faults. Some people just don't "do" self-reflection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Mr. Lobe posted:

It's kind of surprising they'd still have trouble with public ceremonies after like the 3rd marriage.

I misread this as edited above and thought, "I guess practice does make perfect."