Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

duomo
Oct 9, 2007

Soiled Meat

Smythe posted:

its unbelievable to me that the "crossover" style of car has become so popular. no accounting for taste i guess

crossing over generations worked for you and your zoomer gf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

why do the roads and paint in new york always look so damaged

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

cowboy beepboop posted:

thats the new york grit baybee. bodegas are the freaking bomb

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Honestly, everything in the northeast hosed up, I assume it is some combination of salting roads and corruption.

Also, I dream to live in a city where people stack steaming mountains of trash on the sidewalk during summer.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
I don’t understand the garbage thing in NYC. they need to do the Taiwan thing where people have to bring their trash directly to the truck

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

leftist heap posted:

I don’t understand the garbage thing in NYC. they need to do the Taiwan thing where people have to bring their trash directly to the truck

it's simple, new yorkers are just garbage people

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

leftist heap posted:

just a normal day in the greatest city in the world

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

yeah but at least they have mostly functional trains, it's a small price to pay

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

distortion park posted:

Naples?

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

cowboy beepboop posted:

and in the background you can see they still haven't fixed the hole from when they shot a giant golden bullet through a building in union square

mystes
May 31, 2006

Ardennes posted:

Also, I dream to live in a city where people stack steaming mountains of trash on the sidewalk during summer.
Iirc they're finally working on changing this

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

leftist heap posted:

We can't have dumpsters or in-ground containers as it would mean the loss of free parking for cars. That's the whole explanation.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

mystes posted:

Iirc they're finally working on changing this

they're gonna stack trash all through the year?

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Gripweed posted:

the trash is gonna go on the roof now and they're gonna airlift it out of the city with drones

mystes
May 31, 2006

Gripweed posted:

They have this program for installing dumpsters or something but it sounds like it's dumber then I thought and probably not going to make a difference.

Businesses have to pay for the dumpsters and the city is just allowing them to be installed in public spaces.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

https://twitter.com/Choresh2/status/1536516395546071041

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Also, I get that the New York Subway is an old system and it is going to have its idiosyncrasies but man it was hard to be impressed by it after you left the US. I would say more than just the trash or its lack of user-friendliness, it is just so so slow. It is uniquely American to allow the heart of the transit system of your largest urban center to fall into disrepair.

Is Manhattan is still nearly a ghost-town like it was after COVID?

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Yeah office workers have still not returned to Manhattan, this was the last thing I remember seeing on it:

The best-laid plans for a full-time return to the office remain bedeviled by Covid-19 case rates and a work force reluctant to go back to their commutes, according to data published this week by the Partnership for New York City, a business advocacy group.

Just 8 percent of Manhattan office workers are back in the office five days a week, and 28 percent are still fully remote, according to the group’s new survey of more than 160 major employers in New York. On the average weekday, 38 percent of Manhattan office workers are in the office, a figure that employers expect will rise to 49 percent by September. In the group’s January survey, many employers said they thought daily attendance would exceed 50 percent by April.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/05/10/business/return-to-office-manhattan.html

Weird how people don't want to go work in cramped old buildings with ventilation from the 1920s during a global pandemic and don't give a poo poo about your attendance targets.

Pryor on Fire has issued a correction as of 14:19 on Jun 15, 2022

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Had a beautiful bike ride today, everyone should have one by law.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Ardennes posted:

Also, I get that the New York Subway is an old system and it is going to have its idiosyncrasies but man it was hard to be impressed by it after you left the US. I would say more than just the trash or its lack of user-friendliness, it is just so so slow. It is uniquely American to allow the heart of the transit system of your largest urban center to fall into disrepair.

Is Manhattan is still nearly a ghost-town like it was after COVID?

I'm pretty sure there are still tons of people living in Manhattan

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Suplex Liberace posted:

i'm stuck inside on an overcast day with perfect riding weather :(

but I will ride bike when I get home :)

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

distortion park posted:

all that cardboard :(

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
I put together a bike maintenance thing at work yesterday and we got to help 10 people get their bikes ready for the summer. It was also really fun to learn more from people far more experienced than me!

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Rauros posted:

all that cardboard :(

go on

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

what do you think the water in that little puddle by the trash heap tastes like

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JtoSafhvLM

These have the advantage of being public trash bins on top of being aesthetic/easy. They just seem a bit slower to empty than a normal trash bin, but the size helps with that

TeenageArchipelago has issued a correction as of 17:14 on Jun 15, 2022

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

distortion park posted:

what do you think the water in that little puddle by the trash heap tastes like

New York pizza

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

TeenageArchipelago posted:

These have the advantage of being public trash bins on top of being aesthetic/easy. They just seem a bit slower to empty than a normal trash bin, but the size helps with that

lol at expecting fat, useless, crippled american hogs to schlep their garbage any further than throwing it out the window into the rolling bin. let alone sort their recycling ONE BOTTLE AT A TIME into the street container bahahahahahaha.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
ah yes here i am putting my recycling into the container on the street. some hoity toity dutch idiot put his 2 wine bottles in. oh la la. meanwhile my fat american rear end rolls up in my hummer with 5 contractor bags full of coors lite empties per week. get real.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

This is how it works in my town of 30k-ish in France too. The bins in the town centre are underground, in the residential areas are on street big green plastic things. Works great love not forgetting bin day or, like in NYC, seeing garbage just lying in the streets constantly (????)

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

They're like 50m from my house though so I presume that would result in additional car journeys

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
there was a story posted in this very thread of some rear end in a top hat driving 50 feet to the dumpster and accidentally running over their infant

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
i throw my garbage on the floor and cans out my window and local crackheads collect it for me to create their homes or recycle for epic profits. its that easy folks. little thing called the free market.

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

just checked to see if nyc had commingled recycling...lol, no

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Manhattan was also built without alleys so they can't just keep a dumpster behind the building. If you're not a giant skyscraper with a dedicated trash room in your underground garage, you have no choice but to pile you poo poo up out on the street.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
realized today there's a huge block of maybe 50 apartments and hundreds of townhouses across the other side of a miles long stroad that has multiple grocery stores, a goodwill, dollar stores, and strip mall restaurants. there are zero cross walks anywhere along the entire stretch, even at intersections. the speed limit is 40 but i see people going 55+ because lol it's a 4 lane street!

gently caress I hate cars

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

all of this is self-inflicted

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller

Suplex Liberace posted:

me too biking buddy :hfive:

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
There are some advantages to throwing all your garbage on the street like a medieval village. New York is the only city where I saw cute rats scurrying in in the streets during the day.

If the bins are more than 10 meters away, Americans will drive to take out their garbage. Some lard rear end ran over their baby dropping garbage off across the parking lot from their apartment. Do you want Americans to run over their babies? :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

actionjackson posted:

I'm pretty sure there are still tons of people living in Manhattan

Only a million actually live on the island itself