Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

Dareon posted:

Okay, I built what I thought was a shinebug reactor, based on the information I was given that they wouldn't fly through liquid.

They flew through liquid, there's a dollop of crude oil on that "open" space. Does it need to be an actual puddle on a surface, an airflow tile won't cut it? Does it need ot be a more or less viscous fluid? Was my information out of date and shinebugs will just fly willy-nilly through all manner of liquid now?

I think to stop critters the liquid needs to 'connect' on either side which it won't do with airflow tiles. Try replacing the ones above & below with regular tiles or insulated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013

Dareon posted:

They flew through liquid, there's a dollop of crude oil on that "open" space. Does it need to be an actual puddle on a surface, an airflow tile won't cut it? Does it need ot be a more or less viscous fluid? Was my information out of date and shinebugs will just fly willy-nilly through all manner of liquid now?

Technically it isn't that they will not fly through liquid, it is they won't enter spaces in which they would get the drowning debuff. If the quantity of liquid is very small they will only drown if the tile above them is either solid or liquid.

TLDR; the top airflow tile above the liquid is the problem. It should be some form of solid tile.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

insta posted:

No joke, do the napkin math on how much heat gets carried away by trickling water down your roof.

So I've heard, but I wonder about a more permanent solution. Sounds like quite a pain in the rear end but who knows!!!!

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

It works now, but the problem is, like many other problems I have had in logistics-based games, I built it backwards. I really should have put the solid, radiation-absorbing tiles above where my researcher will stand so he's not tanning his head.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
"I built it backwards" is another strong contender for thread title

Also water cooling is so goddamn OP in this game. I fired up an old base I hadn't touched in a year as a fix-up challenge. One of the issues is that I had dug too far and not insulated so the living area was a toasty 40-50C. One passive loop running between a glacier and the base later and we're down to 15-20. Also we will have plenty of cool water for power and oxygen for a while

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

Dareon posted:

It works now, but the problem is, like many other problems I have had in logistics-based games, I built it backwards. I really should have put the solid, radiation-absorbing tiles above where my researcher will stand so he's not tanning his head.

You could put some lead or plastic tiles in here or there where they won't block the radbolts. You can use pressure plates to see which tile the dupe is technically standing on when operating the machine, it's not always where they appear to be.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird
The mistake I always make (especially with a new/unfamiliar setup) is building without adequate headroom, usually by way of building something and then realizing I need headroom for infrastructure (usually shipping, piping, and automation). That, or building between two existing setups and having just enough space for the thing to work, but not enough for it to be convenient or sustainable without lots of active intervention.

It's so tempting to build stuff with short walking paths, short pipe runs, and minimal wasted space but drat if I don't pay for it half the time when I end up unable to automate, tweak or extend the capabilities of whatever it is I just built.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Panty Saluter posted:

I've been looking at attic fans for my actual house and also wondering about the practicality of a water cooling loop to remove heat from the attic. ONI has rotted my brain
You could put radiators in your attic and run the water to your swimming pool, cooling your attic and heating your pool

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

ShadowHawk posted:

You could put radiators in your attic and run the water to your swimming pool, cooling your attic and heating your pool

or a hot tub! This is Texas so an auxiliary "battery" tank would probably be in order. I could easily see the water getting heat soaked very quickly though...

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

ShadowHawk posted:

You can use solar panel (and copper tube) pool heaters at night to cool your pool, too.

insta
Jan 28, 2009

ShadowHawk posted:

We had a heatwave coming to the midwest, so on Sunday I tried to get 4 more rolls of housemeat laid down in the attic. Apparently 3-4pm was the best time to do this, with jeans, long socks, boots, longsleeve shirt, neoprene gloves, and a KN95 mask (I have so many to choose from now!). A thermometer read 135F and there was approximately Satan's Taint humidity up there too. I came down for breaks whenever I heard my heartbeat in my ears.

Would not recommend.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
you ever go back to old saves and marvel at your early attempts to generate oxygen?

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

By the time I was regularly teching up electrolyzers, I had researched plenty of designs to steal.

But the algae terrarium setups, oh boy...

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Electrolyzers have started showing up earlier and earlier in my games. I never directly copied designs because :effort: but also I'm too dumb to absorb knowledge without doing it wrong a bunch. Once it clicked i can set up simple electrolyzers that use very little power and flood the base with the good poo poo. Like to the point of running extra branches to other chambers so dupes can work without masks or suits.

Assuming sufficient water, of course...

e: power spines and transformers really changed the game too. I have wasted so much conductive wire in the past :gonk:

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

My thing was bending over backwards to avoid the use of setups that felt cheap or exploity. No hydras, liquid locks, decor bombing, infinite storage or door crushers.

Then I realized I wanted to experience endgame content instead of constantly juggling maintenance on my lovely infrastructure.

e: also, now dupes wake up and put on suits. they work, eat, hang out, and poo poo with suits on. And every square of the downtime portion of the base is covered in gold, carpet, pixel packs, pedestals, and diamond plant pots.

HolHorsejob fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jun 15, 2022

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Of course I'm using transformers, but I find myself struggling with going in on a power spine meta. I'd rather put all my transformers in my main steam room to reclaim that small amount of heat. Which means I generally have a mess of wires radiating out from a single corner of my map.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I finally set up basically my first power spine, although with the way it snakes from the electrolyzers on the left side of my base, across the top where the maintenance corridor holds the transformers, and up to the natural gas geyser above the right-side kitchen, it's more of a power scoliosis.

But just realizing things like "Oh, hey, eight exosuit docks only take 960 at most, I can make them their own grid and run regular wire" is really freeing.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Dareon posted:

But just realizing things like "Oh, hey, eight exosuit docks only take 960 at most, I can make them their own grid and run regular wire" is really freeing.
Yeah but the chance of all eight drawing power at the same time is effectively zero. Put some more crap on that circuit!

In most cases I’ve gotten lazy and overloaded wires by about 50%, but throw in a transformer so if it overloads you just get a momentary brownout and not wire damage.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Just came back after two years, playing my first Spaced Out! base. I see that slimelung now can only be cured by somebody with the Bedside Manner trait. Bah, I say, bah.

I have a Cool Salt Slush geyser; can I use it to cool the base? It's way far away.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

That should simply be a matter of using insulated pipes with the cold water outside your base and only switching to radiant once you're inside, and metering the flow so you don't run out during dormant periods. You'll probably want an active solution for better control later on, but it's not a bad way to get some use out of the chill before dumping the water in an electrolyzer or whatever early on.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Why are no grubseeds available? (Yes, there are ladders on the right, just offscreen.)

e: Got an answer on the Discord. You can't copy-paste grubseeds on the farm tiles, because the game doesn't recognize spindly grubseeds and grubseeds as the same thing. Do it by hand, no problems.

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jun 17, 2022

insta
Jan 28, 2009
Friendly reminder that like 800 pages back I posted a build that utilizes the last remaining 6 degrees of temperature left before flashing water to steam to extract 45C worth of cooling in an oxygen maker (only gold amalgam parts). No steam turbine. This was utilizing the scalding water from a water geyser.

There's even more chill available by utilizing the waste hydrogen stream for a bit of extra heat extraction before the generators completely destroy the gas, if you also use gold amalgam hydrogen generators.

If you never let any of the pipes back up in a Rodriguez-style, you could get enough chill out of it by capping the water at 1kg/s in the pipes and superheating it before feeding it into the electrolyzers. But, if they back up from overpressure, the water will stack in the pipes and burst out.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Just came back after two years, playing my first Spaced Out! base. I see that slimelung now can only be cured by somebody with the Bedside Manner trait. Bah, I say, bah.

I have a Cool Salt Slush geyser; can I use it to cool the base? It's way far away.

Cool geysers are the slam dunk for any base. Temperature control and lots of low effort water for electrolysis

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison
Just make sure the contents are actually cold. 'Cool steam vents' will cook your dupes and are only cool relative to warmer steam vents.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

Panty Saluter posted:

Electrolyzers have started showing up earlier and earlier in my games. I never directly copied designs because :effort: but also I'm too dumb to absorb knowledge without doing it wrong a bunch. Once it clicked i can set up simple electrolyzers that use very little power and flood the base with the good poo poo. Like to the point of running extra branches to other chambers so dupes can work without masks or suits.

Assuming sufficient water, of course...

e: power spines and transformers really changed the game too. I have wasted so much conductive wire in the past :gonk:

For early midgame I find I can just construct a freestanding electrolyzer or two, and put a hydrogen generator at the top of the base (fed with a gas pump and filter). Easy on the electricity, and electrolyzers don’t create that much heat anyway.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?
It's just a personal peeve (and one I've said before), but I just don't like games with items and systems that are red herrings, or not finished.

It's kind of like Chekhov's gun - if you have a subsystem or equipment in a game, make it matter. There are too many dead end items in ONI like the ore scrubber, or the germ system/medical items, that are just traps for new players.

Likewise, there are in-game wikipedia and tutorial links that still literally lead to "page not found" type of stuff (just found one yesterday for interplanetary packages). To me, that type of stuff should have been cleaned up years ago. Make sickness/germs matter, or just take it out.

It's just my personal opinion, but I think it is just sloppy game design to have stuff like that.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Yeah it messed me up for a long time being obsessive about germ spread, and then I realized that the game is not balanced to have it actually matter, probably because it's also incredibly awkward to control things so that they're not tracking stuff everywhere or using contaminated inputs.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

I just had a dupe come down with slimelung, so it is still possible. Didn't put enough deodorizers in the swamp biome.

Anybody want to play Debug My Base? I'm self-sufficient on mushrooms, switching over to hatch ranching. The base is mostly regular except for special items like the nature reserve. Where should I be digging next? Down? Or should I get a Rodriguez going first?

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

I would look to (a) get a half Rodriguez somewhere, and (b) dig left to consolidate all the pwater into one big pool, then a metal refinary at end with the output to the far end will be enough to get you your first few tons of steel. (c) ranch done dreckos for plastic & fibre, and that's enough ingredients to get an proper active cooling system before cracking the oil biome to start on a longer term power solution.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Sokani posted:

Just make sure the contents are actually cold. 'Cool steam vents' will cook your dupes and are only cool relative to warmer steam vents.

Yyyyyyyyyeah, Klei's nomenclature is sometimes questionable. But cool salt and slush geysers are good. Cool steam vents aren't without their charms although they tend to be a lot of work for the result

nrook posted:

For early midgame I find I can just construct a freestanding electrolyzer or two, and put a hydrogen generator at the top of the base (fed with a gas pump and filter). Easy on the electricity, and electrolyzers don’t create that much heat anyway.

I did this for a while too. I would build a small "chimney" with a dome at the top to collect hydrogen and put the electrolyzer maybe 1/3 of the way up on airflow or mesh tile. Works really well in early game. More recently I have taken to building small, single electrolyzer setups with a single tile gap at the top that flows over to the hydrogen pump, and a small room underneath with two oxygen pumps. Works really well up to about eight dupes, and is easily expanded when you need it. Also having pure oxygen lines makes filling up atmo suits and such easier. I just bridge a line over and they fill 100% passively

Dezinus
Jun 4, 2006

How unsightly.
Slimelung was actually an annoyance in my lastest game, where dupes would get sick and then not be able to finish using the toilet before running for air. You might say, "just put oxygen in the bathroom," but this ain't no 5 star resort, I got gold volcanoes to tame

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Diseases are also dependent on your game settings too. I usually play "no sweat" but some of the higher difficulties can make it a pain. Plus I hate a messy germ overlay, so.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I still haven't touched the difficulty settings. The germs might be kinda fun, but the food and morale settings just seemal annoying, like they'd make the game slower, not harder.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Germ content is mutually exclusive, so just plant bristle blossoms and buddy buds everywhere. Mirth leaf? Whichever decorative plant is currently potpourri-ing my kitchen/nature reserve.

e: Hard mode: Decorative Sporechids. :getin:

insta
Jan 28, 2009

Dareon posted:

Germ content is mutually exclusive, so just plant bristle blossoms and buddy buds everywhere. Mirth leaf? Whichever decorative plant is currently potpourri-ing my kitchen/nature reserve.

e: Hard mode: Decorative Sporechids. :getin:

I have these in my last map's great hall.

SlyFrog posted:

It's kind of like Chekhov's gun - if you have a subsystem or equipment in a game, make it matter. There are too many dead end items in ONI like the ore scrubber, or the germ system/medical items, that are just traps for new players.

bernie sanders meme dot jaypeg posted:

I am once again reminding you that the ore scrubber works for bottled water and food

You can take the overflow from your bathrooms and dump it into a pool with a pitcher pump, and an ore scrubber on the door out. They can safely use this water everywhere without food poisoning germs.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

trussed slicksters are adorably pathetic

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

came back to my first SO game after about a year. when I last left off, I had walked away because juggling two separate bases just meant one of them was idle half the time. I'm trying to bootstrap everything to the level where I can pump oil & ethanol from the linked planetoid, and goddamn the amount of skills you need and the time it takes is ridiculous.

5 days to transport each dupe over, and you need one dupe with field research to activate the supply teleporter, one with superhard digging, and one with suit wearing to deal with the oil biome without almost dying. I have a mod to reroll the printer and I've just been doing that instead. Bootstrapping oil from starting to plan to executing on it is a 20+ day turnaround.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Can I ask for some help debugging a thing?

I'm trying to follow the instructions here. https://imgur.com/a/Zhsjuc6

What I built is here.

Here's the ventilation view.

Is the problem that there's so much hydrogen in the loops that new hydrogen can't get in? I'm also very confused by why the outputs from the hydrogen loop are connected to the input of the valve.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
I'm guessing at some point the hydrogen backed up and overfilled the loop. Mist of these designs need uninterrupted flow. You'll probably need to drain the loops and start again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

(sobs bitterly) Thanks.