Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

7lip
Mar 25, 2009

Don't tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass.
Okay the Halo ship is really growing on me, mostly because of it's easily toggled hover mode I find great for sightseeing.

With a HOTAS and rudders (or even twist stick) it really feels like you're piloting a mech or something when in hover mode, which is also just a fun change of pace :)

Had a lot of fun the other day using only the camera on the cockpit display to land on various things in London.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Having fun in a simulator is illegal sir, please turn in your wings.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

This looks amazing and got me to hook up my HOTAS after a break. Updating now. I just love this type of plane.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

lobsterminator posted:

This looks amazing and got me to hook up my HOTAS after a break. Updating now. I just love this type of plane.

Ok right off the bat the taxiing performance feels silly. It feels like the plane has zero weight and it's just rotating the 3D model. I feel like with a lockable tail wheel the unlocked wheel should lead to spinning if you mess about. Like IL-2 planes are a nightmare to control when tail wheel is free. This was like driving a car.

And when you break quickly the nose dip feels totally weightless and silly.

I know it's Carenado so you can't expect anything close to realism in terms of flight model, but this seems way off just by gut feel.

It also does rolls and loops like an acrobat plane.

The ratings are mainly 5 stars in the store so maybe I'm just wrong.

lobsterminator fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jun 15, 2022

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

kemikalkadet posted:

Did you download the update? You have to manually download each world update from the marketplace.

Yeah I downloaded it. I’ve been googling this morning to see if there was a itemized update thing to LA. It doesn’t look any different based on my memory. Maybe there’s smaller updates.

And I agree with the halo ship. It feels very weightless.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

7lip posted:

Okay the Halo ship is really growing on me, mostly because of it's easily toggled hover mode I find great for sightseeing.

With a HOTAS and rudders (or even twist stick) it really feels like you're piloting a mech or something when in hover mode, which is also just a fun change of pace :)

Had a lot of fun the other day using only the camera on the cockpit display to land on various things in London.

Mods!?

Gasoline
Jul 31, 2008

lobsterminator posted:

It also does rolls and loops like an acrobat plane.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Jk83zZXhBI

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Hell yes.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

wow, that was bad rear end.

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

big nipples big life posted:

Having fun in a simulator is illegal sir, please turn in your wings.

Clearly he's just simulating dropping some ODSTs or Spartans into that stadium. The Covenant have taken it as a strong point and we must take it back.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

7lip posted:

How do you go back and forward in hover mode? Reverse thrust to go back, like in Elite or something? Or is it like a helicopter? Can I dual-stick it?

7lip
Mar 25, 2009

Don't tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass.

Shipon posted:

How do you go back and forward in hover mode? Reverse thrust to go back, like in Elite or something? Or is it like a helicopter? Can I dual-stick it?

I can only speak from using a Thrustmaster HOTAS One, but when in hover mode:

The throttle sitting at 50% will hover at your current altitude, anything higher or lower, well, will raise or lower the ship. As long as your throttle stick is set to 50% power at neutral I assume it would work just fine, you might be in trouble when using the cruise mode though because that acts like a normal plane (well, comparatively).

Pushing the joystick in any direction will move the ship in that direction, and it is analogue for how fast or slow you go.

Rudders twist the entire ship on a dime.

Ps: don't worry everyone, I also crashed a 747 in to the Pentagon when I played today so I DO indeed play the game the correct way as well.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

7lip posted:

Ps: don't worry everyone, I also crashed a 747 in to the Pentagon when I played today so I DO indeed play the game the correct way as well.

Message you're going to see on next log in:

Please provide your name, address and social security number to enable your account.

:nsa:

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

hannibal posted:

Clearly he's just simulating dropping some ODSTs or Spartans into that stadium. The Covenant have taken it as a strong point and we must take it back.

They mistook it for a box canyon in the middle of nowhere.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Wooops wrong thread

sellouts fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Jun 16, 2022

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Shine posted:

They mistook it for a box canyon in the middle of nowhere.

"Hey there's a bunch of Reds AND Blues here!! And they're lining up and... hugging eachother vigorously?"

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
I got a GrassMonkey Odyssey Head Tracker. It didn't really fit well after getting used to VR. It has been literally used two times.

It is 119 dollars from their website. I'll ship one for you in the US for let's say 90 dollars.

Included everything that is in this pic. Camera, head band holder whatever, and the head lights.

The specs are here.

https://grassmonkeysimulations.com/product/monkey-king-odyssey-ir-bundle/

PM here or in Air Goons Discord.

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

I modified the pitch axis spring on my Honeycomb Alpha, to make it a little softer:

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/honeycomb-alpha-pitch-modification/526091

Rot fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jun 20, 2022

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

soggybagel posted:

Okay the new world update trailer generically said “Los Angeles” but I just did a quick flyover and don’t really notice much if any of an update. Notably the area where Sofi stadium is which is right on the flight path for landing at LAX and located in Inglewood is still a dirt pit. And downtown didn’t seem that “good” or much different than I remembered.

Also I realize this isn’t super high priority but I really wish they’d figure out some sort of algorithm to identify what are palm trees. And I guess even have crude palm trees vs weird blob stumps where palm trees should be.

LA is definitely fairly disappointing to me. Maybe it's just my settings but the photogrammetry makes many of the large buildings look like they've been abandoned for 60 years and Wilshire Grand doesn't even exist in this world.

I skimmed through the World Update X release notes but the only changes that jumped out to me as "Los Angeles" are a new model for the Getty plus an airport on Catalina Island.

Teeter fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jun 20, 2022

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Every PG city looks like a post-apocalyptic hellscape version of the real world city. Maybe NYC would look better if it actually lit up at night but it still looks melted.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
They said Disney World was updated but it was already pretty good so I went to check it out. The new PG is pretty recent... like within the last year or two.

EPCOT Before

EPCOT After (you can see the new Guardians of the Galaxy coaster building and the removal of part of the hub)

Hollywood Studios Before

Hollywood Studios After (Toy Story and Star Wars land are present now)

Resorts Before

Resorts After (Polynesian bungalows added)

Magic Kingdom Before

Magic Kingdom After (not many changes but the Hub resign is added)

You can also see in some places where it seems like the game knows there is a new road but it is covered in trees. For example in Hollywood Studios the new entrance road and parking lots. The trees are much lighter in those places like they are in direct sunlight and if you look under them you can see the road images.

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

Whoa those are really recent! Maybe from the beginning of the year, or even later since the Guardian's ride looks pretty much done, and that was the latest ride to open. Thanks for the pics :)

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Hey flightsim sickos, I have a question about head/eye tracking and this seemed the best place to ask. I'm considering picking up the entry level Thrustmaster flight set with stick, throttle, and pedals for Elite Dangerous, and I want to add head or eye tracking to it as well. Could use a hand making sense of the options.

It looks like the cost progression on what's available these days is FaceTrackNoIR and FreeTrack (which just use your existing webcam) -> GrassMonkey -> TrackIR -> Tobii eye tracking (if you don't want stuff on your head but Freetrack isn't good enough, I guess?) -> just buy a drat VR hat.

Is that about right, or am I missing any alternatives? Is there any thread consensus on where the value/performance sweet spot is?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I would check compatibility lists before you'd consider a Tobii. The support can be hit and miss with it, and some sims that "support" it, they only support 3DOF, ie head rotation, not the 6DOF which would include head movement as well. Considering the price, make sure it supports the features you want in the sims you intend to play before considering it.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

Unsinkabear posted:

Hey flightsim sickos, I have a question about head/eye tracking and this seemed the best place to ask. I'm considering picking up the entry level Thrustmaster flight set with stick, throttle, and pedals for Elite Dangerous, and I want to add head or eye tracking to it as well. Could use a hand making sense of the options.

It looks like the cost progression on what's available these days is FaceTrackNoIR and FreeTrack (which just use your existing webcam) -> GrassMonkey -> TrackIR -> Tobii eye tracking (if you don't want stuff on your head but Freetrack isn't good enough, I guess?) -> just buy a drat VR hat.

Is that about right, or am I missing any alternatives? Is there any thread consensus on where the value/performance sweet spot is?

That's the gist of it. I don't know enough about Tobii personally but I believe it does work slightly differently than the others and may not be directly comparable.

A few other brands to consider: TrackHat and Delanclip. I put them in the same tier as Grassmonkey however they are based in EU while the monkey is in US. I've purchased from the latter mainly for ease of shipping.

E4C85D38
Feb 7, 2010

Doesn't that thing only
hold six rounds...?

Try out the NeuralNet tracker in OpenTrack. It just needs your webcam to see your face, and... that's it, and it works way better than you'd expect from the other no-equipment options you listed. I've used it to pretty great success in Elite: Dangerous, and like most games fiddling with the curves helps quite a bit.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Thanks all! Sounds like I should start with OpenTrack's neural net stuff

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

So if a person was in the market for a VR headset for fs, which would be the one to get?

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

E4C85D38 posted:

I've used it to pretty great success in Elite: Dangerous, and like most games fiddling with the curves helps quite a bit.

I assume it varies per monitor, but any pro tips on how to go about this?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

slidebite posted:

So if a person was in the market for a VR headset for fs, which would be the one to get?

The Reverb G2 is a solid sit-down simmer headset. Its controls and tracking are not great for room-scale VR stuff, but it has a really good display for the price. It has better image clarity than the other mainstream headsets, and it's comfortable enough. I'm fairly happy with mine, though I do wish the FoV was just a bit wider. HP sometimes runs sales that brings it down to $450 or so. Be warned though that driving a 2160x2160x2 headset in FS2020 and other high-fidelity sims requires an absolute beast of a PC. It will make you want to upgrade to a 4080/4090 as soon as those are available.

The Oculus Quest 3, which will presumably come out at some point this year, will also likely have a display that is as dense as the G2's, as will the PSVR2 (though there's no word if that will be PC compatible). Both headsets could end up being better than the G2 if the manufacturers decide to let them play nice with Windows VR/SteamVR.

There are several smaller, boutique companies that sell high-end headsets for $1k+, but I know very little about them. Some may be better than the G2, but prepare to open your wallet. Like, Pimax has some 3840x2160x2 headsets, but I've heard sketchy things about their customer support, and their top-end set costs $1200 for the headset alone. Also lol at trying to drive that resolution in FS2020.

edit: or if you really want to whale out: https://varjo.com/products/aero/ (this thing really isn't meant for gamers unless you're filthy rich)

but as far as I know, the Reverb G2 is considered the sensible choice for simmers.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Jun 21, 2022

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Unsinkabear posted:

Turn off all the axes and test each one by one, then start mixing them and tweaking to taste. So for the yaw axis you'll find the right straight line for looking left and right, just enough to see your rearmost knobs and levers etc.

Then try a curve so the left or right extremes move slower or even bounce back a little. Try putting one mark at say 80% down the straight line and another at 0x so you can feel where the curve begins to slow.

Some lines will be really flat ie you don't want your face to smash through the dash, or the roll doesn't spin your neck off your head.

You'll start to understand what the graphs actually mean.

For the pitch axis play with the asynchronous option - you might want full range of motion to the roof but only a little towards your seat.

e: you can do all this live in windowed/borderless

Chubby Henparty fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Jun 21, 2022

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

It's a shame EDTracker went bust. It only had rotation, but it worked very reliably even in extreme angles. TrackIR/Delanclip tend to have problems when you contort your head into weird positions.

I have a DelanClip+PS3 Eye camera setup. It's pretty good for the price. And Chubby Henparty wrote good instructions. I agree that the best way is to test the settings out for a good while and see what works for you. Don't look up other people's axis settings from the web, because they are so dependent on your own taste.

I tend to keep the movement axes minimal and I still use the different camera positions to reach harder places in the cockpit.

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42

Unsinkabear posted:

Thanks all! Sounds like I should start with OpenTrack's neural net stuff

Check your local FB marketplace too. I managed to snag a Delanclip + modded PS3 camera for $25 when I was about 30 seconds away from dropping the cash for a TrackIR setup. There are deals to be had if you’re patient and it’s worked great for me in FS and DCS.

Quite A Tool fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Jun 21, 2022

Sebastian Flyte
Jun 27, 2003

Golly

slidebite posted:

I had a Reverb G2 for a few months, but I sold it last year and got a Quest 2 instead. I don't mind the step down in resolution, as I had constant issues with the tracking in the G2 whereas the Quest 2 just works with no problems. For MSFS the Quest 2 also has the advantage that you can choose between 72/80/90 Hz refresh rate and pick whatever works best for your eyes and your system - I run at 80 Hz. I tried the 60 Hz setting on the G2 but it was just not good for the eyes.

The ASW settings for the Quest 2 are also good for a very demanding and relatively slow paced game as MSFS, as you can set the ASW to either half/third/fifth of the refresh rate and get OK results even at <30 fps. I usually run with ASW off, but on the ground or during takoff/landing when the frame rates are lower I switch to one third, which is 27.5 Hz and is still pretty fluid in MSFS.

So for me, the only advantage the G2 had was better resolution and good headphones. But in all other areas I'm much happier with the Quest 2.

tima
Mar 1, 2001

No longer a newbie

slidebite posted:

How much do you want to spend and how long do you want to wait?

As above quest 2 or hp are the decent options now.

If you have unlimited budget varjo aero is the best headset available now.

If you want to wait, Cambria (quest 2 pro) and deckard (index 2) should both drop this year or early next year.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
I’ve had Dell Visor, and Samsung Odyssey, and I’ve tested Quests, and now I have a Reverb G2.

My VR is pretty much alll flight simming, and nothing else comes close to the Reverb’s clarity and resolution. It is just miles ahead. I did play Half Life Alyx with it, and it was fine.

My tracking issues were solved when I placed some paintings on the walls of my compute room, as the tracking struggled with white solid walls. Hanging this fixed it!

I recommend Reverb G2 wholeheartedly.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

tima posted:

How much do you want to spend and how long do you want to wait?

As above quest 2 or hp are the decent options now.

If you have unlimited budget varjo aero is the best headset available now.

If you want to wait, Cambria (quest 2 pro) and deckard (index 2) should both drop this year or early next year.
I don't mind waiting a bit and the budget is :shrug: but of course I don't want to spend crazy money if I don't have to.

Running a 3090 on a 9900K with 64GB. I know the 9900K is starting to get a little dated but hoping I still have some time with it.

I'll give the Reverb G2 a hard look.

Appreciate the input guys.Just playing FS2020 has really given me the urge. I had an old Rift (which I got rid of months ago) but the screen door effect with the "realistic" graphics was something I could never really get over. I could live with it on AZ: Sunshine and games like that, but something that needed super detail was just a no-go for me and really impacted my enjoyment.

Other than that though, I quite liked it.

e: I would probably just use it for sit-down no movement sim stuff... like 90% of the time.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Jun 21, 2022

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

side note for the G2, be super aggressive with RMA / warranty return for that poo poo. Mine was always fussy and turns out it shipped with an older cable version that has known difficulty with AMD motherboards. I didn't use it a ton during the 1st year and thought that this was just the current state of VR (being a bit unstable). Now my warranty is expired and I recently updated computers and the issues are even worse.

After spending $90 for a newer version of cable from Hp and $30 for a separate PCI-E card to supply USB-C power, its still very unstable. My current experience to use VR for MSFS, IL2, DCS etc is to start up the comp, start up windows MRP, watch the G2 power up and hear it, but see no picture (yet the screens are powered on). Then some combination of restarting MRP, cycling the power on the G2 etc usually from 2-4x gets it working. About 1 in 5 times it will work but flicker madly, I go into MRP and switch back and forth the Hz for the G2 until this stops. Occasionally this causes a crash and I have to restart the entire process.

I'd say about 1 in 4 times I start up the G2 I can go right into a game and play without doing another 5-15 minutes of restarting the software / cycling the power on the hardware.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I've only used the Reverb, but in my opinion it's pretty great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

E4C85D38
Feb 7, 2010

Doesn't that thing only
hold six rounds...?

Unsinkabear posted:

Besides the tips that were already given, on the curves screen, make sure the 'MAX ROTATION' is correct for your game. I set it to 180° for Elite, although my curve tops out a little before that. I also prefer to only use it for rotation and disable all translating movement.