Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
In early versions of Factorio, the bugs dropped items that you needed to pick up and use to create items used in the final rocket launch. When they changed the trees to remove this requirement is when they put "peaceful" mode in. Bugs still spawn though just won't attack you first.

This game never seemed like it needed peaceful mode to me, due to zero expansion pressure (besides making more/different things) but I get why people ask for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Didn't know this was going to be in the update, but you can now copy+paste machine settings without having to open up the interface:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6bo0pjYghk&t=12351s

Been wanting this exact feature in the game since I played Dyson Sphere, having to manually set the recipes for each machine always felt like an unnecessary step for each build and the copy+paste solution they had before was too clunky to be useful. Massive QOL improvement.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
Well it looks like instead of less combat, the game is now full of combat. The blade runners + jetpack is great though.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I hope the rifle and bombs unlock way sooner/easier then?

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
I don't really get the criticisms of it in satisfactory to be perfectly honest, although I'm not saying you can't make them just... they are trivial to mod out. it's an early access title, things are in flux. It's also just... part of the game? I don't like running around collecting grass to fuel things at the start but it's just part of the game. Sometimes with these sort of crafting / automated / whatever games I think people can get a bit funny with "I expect THIS or THAT in or out of the game" like it's a tool or something. Every game will have things in it you like or don't.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Combat Pretzel posted:

I hope the rifle and bombs unlock way sooner/easier then?

Rifle rounds take smokeless powder which is black powder + heavy oil residue. Not exactly easy to manufacture.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

TK-42-1 posted:

Rifle rounds take smokeless powder which is black powder + heavy oil residue. Not exactly easy to manufacture.

They seem to be black powder and copper sheets too which seems easier.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

priznat posted:

They seem to be black powder and copper sheets too which seems easier.

Yeah, I don't know what recipe I'm using for rifle rounds offhand, but I know I automated production of them (as part of a much larger factory). Also nobelisks since they also use gunpowder.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Oasis on the desert cliffs looking real good after the update.

When I tried to land I fell through the ground into the void under the map. Whatever, just glad to have access to it at all. They were up front about this one being a lot more "experimental" than previous experimental branch updates.

e: Seems to be any time you use a hypertube cannon the game breaks. It can't stream in the world fast enough to keep up with you so you end up trying to land in low-poly terrain only meant to be seen from long distance which doesn't actually have collision. If you can land on a building and stand there for a while it starts to come into existence properly piece by piece.

NoEyedSquareGuy fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Jun 15, 2022

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

teacup posted:

I don't really get the criticisms of it in satisfactory to be perfectly honest, although I'm not saying you can't make them just... they are trivial to mod out. it's an early access title, things are in flux. It's also just... part of the game? I don't like running around collecting grass to fuel things at the start but it's just part of the game. Sometimes with these sort of crafting / automated / whatever games I think people can get a bit funny with "I expect THIS or THAT in or out of the game" like it's a tool or something. Every game will have things in it you like or don't.

It's a matter of it being a gameplay element similar games make easy to disable, or just completely changes the vibe of the game. I don't think it's a major criticism of the game, it just sours the experience for a few players that they'd rather wait for a mod to take care of it for them, and I think that is a bit of a shame when it should be a fairly simple toggle for the game, particular for how low-impact monsters are.

Like, the monsters aren't hard, but they could still provide an accessibility challenge for some that's inconsistent with the rest of the game.

e: Oh god, moving to experimental respawned the crab hatchers as the new ones and now there's a bunch of hatchers buried in my foundations spamming flying crabs. I got gang tackled by like 15 of them and nearly died lol

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Jun 15, 2022

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

I'm pretty sure the hatchers can't be permanently killed. Had the same problem as you, murdered the hatchers. Came back later and they were active again. Which sucks alot. Don't want to leave experimental though if for no other reason than the game is letting me use multiple tools at once.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

They've acknowledged it as a known issue now
https://twitter.com/SatisfactoryAF/status/1537000000449925120?s=20&t=Q25Z2fXgTlSkx7Yn4_j4kA

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Cool. I'm not freaking out or anything because there is a giant red EXPERIMENTAL label and it's hot off the presses. Also I'm engrossed in a massive power plant project and other than the occasional trip back for materials I'm not bothered at the moment.

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

Some of the stuff they've released talks about enemies dropping 'alien protein' that has to be processed for upcoming additions, so it sounds like they're going to be making killing things a necessary part of materials gathering.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Tsilkani posted:

Some of the stuff they've released talks about enemies dropping 'alien protein' that has to be processed for upcoming additions, so it sounds like they're going to be making killing things a necessary part of materials gathering.

They always have but previously the alien resources stayed in the combat branch, so using the peaceful mod meant you didn't miss anything.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I think it's more that it's just a streamlining of how enemy drops works. Before you had Organs and Carapace, and those were used in some craftables. Now you're just converting various drops into a common part.

It's probably also to encourage having something like biomass where you shove your monster drops into a machine to process them for you.

I doubt it will become any more necessary then it is already/previous due to the inability to fully automate.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Previously when I had a brilliant idea to use largely biofuel for things I had an elaborate setup of sorters that would take either alien parts, wood, or leaves and process them all eventually into biofuel. It was a pain in the rear end and worked extremely poorly because the power required to mass automate and convert it all was almost the amount of liquid biofuel I burned.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

My understanding was that there was going to be some additional alien research for whatever the plot related progression is, which, so far, all we know is it uses the two unused collectibles and SAM ore. I don't expect it would be a required part of your main production anymore than mercer spheres would be.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Otoh, literally grinding your enemies into paste to keep the lights on is :discourse:

But yeah, it's also a pain and why coal/fuel exist.

Ice Fist fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jun 15, 2022

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

Ice Fist posted:

I'm pretty sure the hatchers can't be permanently killed. Had the same problem as you, murdered the hatchers. Came back later and they were active again. Which sucks alot. Don't want to leave experimental though if for no other reason than the game is letting me use multiple tools at once.

They can be blocked with foundations.
Monsters dont spawn near foundations.
Or has that changed with the update?

I've previously just killed the hatchers and laid down something so I didnt have to deal with it again the next time I came through.

Coffee Sludge
Dec 14, 2003

Dag nabbit
Grimey Drawer

OgNar posted:

I've previously just killed the hatchers and laid down something so I didnt have to deal with it again the next time I came through.

Previous rules don't apply right now with the hatcheries at the very least.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

OgNar posted:

It's a bug with the update. I had a foundation on top of a hatcher and the crabs were just sort of popping out of the foundation.

I think it goes further and the hatchers themselves are not properly getting the "don't respawn if near player stuff" behavior.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Those bastards

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Do they respect walls? Can you make a fish tank with flying crabs in it? I bet you can clear out the crabs using explosives through the walls.

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

Sometimes when I feel fancy, I power my factory with mold spores.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Everything is finally in order to start building this factory. Going to take about ~14GW to run all the machines and I have about 20GW to spare on the grid currently, once the nuclear plant is running it should output a consistent 630GW. Glad the reworked Spire Coast doesn't extend too far west and there's still plenty of open water to put the 252 reactors.

NoEyedSquareGuy fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Jun 17, 2022

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

20 GW of fuel goodness. Probably the largest building I've ever made in this game by volume.

I'm going to double this, but I'm just going to copy this building in the save editor because gently caress building this by hand again. I put too much manual labor into this when I should have abused the save editor to copy the floors with the fuel plants. It's just too much work.

In fact, I think moving forward I'm going to make builds smaller overal with lots of detail and then copy them. It's easy enough to make a big cube of a factory, close up the sides and call it a day, but if I want to add some nice details I get burned out much too quick. Even using a train as a ferry for more parts I had to make way too many trips back to refill it because of the ridiculous amount of materials involved in this thing.

Ice Fist fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Jun 21, 2022

Mile'ionaha
Nov 2, 2004

Finally closing in on the end of the game.

It's nice when some project you completed ages ago turns out to be useful.

Why did I build a bazillion Pure Copper refineries? No idea, but it sure made Nuclear Pasta easy to complete. Finished Pasta first, now gotta solve the bottlenecks on the other 3 items.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Trucks-only world maxed nuclear build is almost done. I could turn it on if I wanted but the plutonium processing factory only has the first stages complete. Don't want to set it going until I can actually deal with the 2520 Uranium Waste being produced every minute. All the resources and truck routes are set up for the processing factory and there's a big foundation but none of the production machines are built yet. Uranium Rod factory ended up being the biggest in the world so far. Uranium throughput is a bit low but I did some testing and figured out it needs 3 trucks for each route to the normal uranium nodes and 1 for the impure node, it should be consistent once I set those going.

Outside:

Floor 1: Caterium Ingots, Silica

Floor 2: Copper Ingots

Floor 3: Quickwire

Floor 4: Encased Uranium Cells

Floor 5: More Encased Uranium Cells, Uranium Fuel Rods

This then feeds into the nuclear plant. Decided to go full over-engineering and build a perfect load balancer for it as well since it's not that hard to build, just a bit more time consuming. Since the factory is producing 50.4 rods/min I can use mk.1 belts for the whole thing to very slowly distribute them throughout the system. Waste gets sent out on a straight line of mk.5 belt since each row of 63 reactors is producing 630 Uranium Waste.

Problem is you're fueling 252 reactors which factorizes to 2x2x3x3x7. That 7 means you can't evenly distribute fuel by splitting 2 or 3 normally and have to use loops feeding back into earlier points in the balancer if you want perfect distribution. This could have been done differently by changing the 9 and 7 to use one loop instead of 9 in each row but I like this one better:

Doing the single loop would have done this instead:

Also could have done 2x2x2x2x2x2 for 64 and then deleted one and looped it back into the start but that requires one more layer of belts:

Those were the 3 easiest ways I could think of doing it while still keeping to four rows, there are probably other variations. With the whole site finished it looks like this with the truck station, rod factory and nuclear plant:

The plant is about 1/3 the length of the entire map. Unfortunately for the last 3 reactors in each row I ran into the issue where the water at the edges of the map is fake and doesn't let you place extractors on it. Should have tested that as one of the first things I did while setting foundations but didn't think about it until I was already way too far in. I supposed I could select the whole thing in SCIM and move it to the right and up a bit but I don't really want to do that.

Only thing left to do is build this and then start using the resulting Plutonium Rods to fuel my fleet of trucks:

It uses about three times as much power as the Uranium Rod factory but I'm not sure that translates directly to a building three times as large. Heat Sinks, ECRs, Aluminum Casings and Steel Beams are already accounted for and have their routes established, I just have to build the thing. Particle accelerators are goddamn gigantic, if it ends up being bigger than I'm picturing it will be as much those as the 100 blenders and 60 manufacturers.

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Marshall/Kirtaner 8/24 nevar forget! (omg pedo)
Rather than a complicated rebalance, why not overclock some of the machines by a little bit, say 14%?

Or underclock everything 12.5%, and add an eighth machine.

Ritz On Toppa Ritz
Oct 14, 2006

You're not allowed to crumble unless I say so.
After playing and restarting and taking breaks between updates - I have finally reached Tiers 7 and 8.

I’m now not sure where to go from here?

Started in Dune Desert.

I have mostly coal power coming from two sources with some fuel generators added in and tons of batteries.

I have two ‘factory bases’ and lots of small ‘on-site’ resource processing before being sent to one of my factories.

I do not have any trucks, trains, drones. Everything is on long rear end conveyor belts.

Should I explore more of the map? Should I build trains? What’s the next step in power - nuclear?

I don’t mind slow and steady as long as I’m productive with a plan.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

holy poo poo those hotzones are HUGE.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Ritz On Toppa Ritz posted:

Should I explore more of the map? Should I build trains? What’s the next step in power - nuclear?

How much of the map your explore is up to you. It sort of depends on your play-style. For me - I played the game without using outside tools except the calculators basically until I reached the final tiers. I eventually wanted to focus on building cool factories instead of running around with my scanner finding nodes and fighting creatures. It just got repetitive and boring. Now I mostly "explore" just to run and get hard drives, and I used the save editor to plan out most things. With update 6 it's a little bit easier to stay completely in game because radar towers will now reveal deposits.

Trains are cool as heck imo and I use them ALOT. Frankly I probably use them more than I should. Their intended purpose is either long distance transport, or high throughput transport, or both. If I arrive at a logistics problem and I'm like "I don't want to build a belt that long" or "I don't want to build that many belts" I'll use a train. Frankly their only downside is they require power and alot of space. As your train network grows you'll be shocked at how much of your max consumption grows, although they'll only ever use a percentage of that because stations only actually draw power when in use. Setting them up optimally can be a little confusing, but I find it to be a fun problem to solve. Train stations are also really big and so placing them is sort of a problem unto itself.

It sounds like you only have a little bit of fuel power. You can get ALOT of power for a little bit of oil. With the diluted fuel recipe (or diluted packaged fuel) and the heavy oil residue recipe you can get 10GW every 300 oil, which is ~3 times as efficient as the normal fuel recipe. It sounds like you're at a point where you can just go right for nuclear. In which case knock yourself out. Nuclear is also fun to build and will probably get you way more power than you need. I don't really use batteries. For me as long as I keep the gray line above the blue line I'm at peace.

Dalaram posted:

Rather than a complicated rebalance, why not overclock some of the machines by a little bit, say 14%?

Or underclock everything 12.5%, and add an eighth machine.

This is what I'd do. In fact I just did it with my fuel plant pictured above. I broke down the refinery area into 4 sections of 5 refineries and 4 blenders. Each pair of blenders makes 200 fuel and powers half a floor. The math comes out as 16.66666... power plants per pair of blenders which is a crappy number. So instead each floor is 36 fuel generators and all of them are underclocked a little bit. There's are two annoying issues with this approach - although it ultimately works fantastic. One is applying an underclock/overlock to that many powerplants sucks because as far as I'm aware there's no way to copy/paste with power plants. The other issues that that thanks to the voodoo magic logarithmic equation involved with power plant overclocks it might take a little experimentation to get it right. This would be made easier except the power output in the overclock window is different than the actual output of the plant. Which is confusing as gently caress. I really wish they'd fix that.

A bunch of of this can be circumvented by some good use of the save editor. But man I don't like how over/underclocking power plants works. I get that the idea is that power shards don't go as far in a power plant, but I'd rather they find a different way of doing that and make the process more intuitive. Also I wish they'd fix the mismatch between the desired output setting and the actual output. That's bitten me in the rear end twice now.

Ice Fist fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Jun 21, 2022

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Ritz On Toppa Ritz posted:

After playing and restarting and taking breaks between updates - I have finally reached Tiers 7 and 8.

I’m now not sure where to go from here?

Your goal should be aluminum production -- you can't do nukes without aluminum, and you're gonna want mk5 conveyor. Then your next goal should be the stuff for mk3 miners. You don't necessarily need a good production line for that stuff right away: mk2 miners are still ok to use in places where you have more nodes than you need. And turbo motors are a beast. But mk3 means you can start doing *big* factories.

Yes you want to explore more of the map. Aluminum production is IMO a good reason to set up trains.

If you anywhere close to short on power now, you'll probably need to make more before you can get to nukes. Nukes are very difficult and are almost impossible to do "halfway" -- you need a plan for the waste before you turn them on. Explore the map to find new oil and make a fuel power plant to tide you over.

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

good god the lighting on experimental is hosed

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

Just got the jetpack for the first time. Me likey!

edit: Aaaand the gas mask. One hour later and I have 45 power shards and seven hard drives now lol.

neato burrito fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Jun 22, 2022

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

This bug on experimental that's making the mobs not spawn feels so weird. It's not even like I'm a huge fan of them but the game feels strangely empty without them

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Wilekat posted:

This bug on experimental that's making the mobs not spawn feels so weird. It's not even like I'm a huge fan of them but the game feels strangely empty without them

So THAT's why I didn't see anything while expanding my rail network yesterday.

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

6.0.4 dropped yesterday and mobs are back, baby!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I had two of the rhino mobs spawn inside each other and neither was able to move, letting me kill them easily.

The new bug spawners are pretty easy to deal with, just ignore the bugs and kill the spawner. You'll take a bit of damage but even with the xeno basher you'll kill the spawner before it can poop out a second bunch of bugs.

This time I didn't wait until tier 4 until I went looking for hard drives so I was able to get Cast Screws right away. :toot: