Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Disappointing they came so close to "The Ghost Who Fills In" with this tweet and yet backed off.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Oct. 07, 1951)
I love the art in this.

Doomykins posted:

Nancy and Trail are barely better than their predecessors by default and at times not.
You think the new Nancy is barely better than Gilchrist Nancy?

I agree with you on all of these zombie strips, but the papers won't get rid of them and since they won't I prefer they dump the ancient authors and go with new people.

The Bloop posted:

Gilchrist nancy was at least better looking and worth a hate read.
I disagree. To me it all came across as fetish work and I imagine it must have been a struggle to get the sticky page in an envelope and off to the syndicate after drawing yet another big-titty Aunt Fritzi homage to 50s music.

quote:

The best Nancy strips of all time barely have any words. The new ones can barely fit the crudely drawn faces next to all the words
I can agree with that.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

Curtis from a different browser, you NAGS.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Q-Rais Talks to Himself is largely a slightly self-indulgent excuse to talk about his cooking hobby, yes.

But I feel like the diary comic bits are worth it.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
I apologize in advance. As with any hobby you think about things over time and end up with a lot of overly obsessive points you want to share with others. You either find a group of like-minded people in a forgotten corner of the internet or start making long form video essays. Allow me to babble about how I'm disappointed in the track record of old comic IPs being picked up by modern artists.

I think New Nancy could be worse than Gilchrist.. nah, but honestly Gilchrist probably told some really bad jokes from time to time in an earnest attempt at comedy. It'd require reading a lot more of both than I'd feel like past what ends up in this thread to actually rate the two against each other(and Gilchrist looks awful), but New Nancy is the worst of several strip lows put together. I also think New Nancy somehow screwed up the characterization of the cast, even if the best with Bushmiller was a bratty kid, a wise-crackin' poor kid and a generic adult authority figure.

Most of the new characters are interchangeably bad. Rich Girl is as obnoxious and egotistical as Nancy. There's Angry Girl, Nancy's new close friend, who is as bitter and miserable as the rest of the cast but her character trait is brooding so she really beats it to death. Movie Boy is bitter, jaded and cynical but surprise, he likes movies. There are the twins, where one is almost entirely forgotten and the other is.. one of the few characters with redeeming traits! The "little kid showing off their OC" jokes are good. There's also Super Excited Other School Kid, who just gave the flashback about the triangle robot, I like him. It's hard to remember the rest because you may notice a pattern here worthy of the same condemnation Peanuts got: please lord save me from these depressing, morbid rear end adults in children's bodies. Nancy is actually not bitter and angry as often as the rest but has been elevated to obnoxious poo poo from precocious brat. Aunt Ritzi isn't a stupid pin-up but becoming a dime-a-dozen depressed anxious adult as a vehicle for more cynical jokes doesn't help the tone of the strip.

The dog is good and usually accompanies the rare 10% of New Nancy that isn't bad(i.e. actual gag or physical comedy strips instead of the tortuous WITTY AND VERBOSE ANXIETY LOOP.) And I like Sluggo(and Apathetic Librarian) by default, though I think New Nancy botched his character a lot. I'm not saying Sluggo needs to be dirt poor to be Sluggo, or show up to every strip with the not at all funny calling cards of poverty line America. But Sluggo is now just "the one chill kid who maybe enjoys life" instead of Sluggo, usually forced to be the straight man to somebody else beating the jaded and cynical horse to death. He's not Sluggo in the modern era, he's not even Sluggo is Lit, which was done years ago and never repeated even in tone outside of twice a year "my editor lets me get away with this" jokes, so New Nancy isn't benefitting from taking off the blinders of the past. New Nancy had fun once and then turned into a zombie strip, as mechanically executed and creatively dead as modern Garfield. And in less than a god drat year. I dunno, I've just thought idly in my day to day errands and work a bit too much about how missing the point it was to me the first time Sluggo appeared in panel holding a smart phone.

This is what we want from giving new blood a chance? Hell, New Trail did the same thing. Has done it multiple times. Jules loved to give interview quotes about how she's smarter than those bogus old farts who came before but everything said has rung hollow so far. "Mark Trail is a handsome man and I'm not afraid to draw handsome men." Nope, gone after the first week and a single joke. "Rusty is treated as a pet instead of a boy." Close, but unless this current arc really saves it Jules got more bored of Rusty then her predecessors did mid Rusty storyline. And then the rest of the stumbles along the way, with a long-term narrative strip that has active contempt for long-term planning or even simple panel to panel logic. Hell, just today we've got more "get it done" art. I'm obviously expecting too much from newspaper strips and their quality but drat, I think beating the hall of infamy clowns they replaced shouldn't be asking too much.

Well I hope anyone enjoyed my ranting as much as I did. I dunno if it's rude or insane or entertaining to try some longer form analysis of these silly stories we've read for years. I could do positive ones about weird strips I love like Thimble Theater, Jucika, Prince Val or anything Q-Rai puts out, among others. I've wondered if the thread might enjoy regulars posting some summaries on strips they read regularly, maybe rating them and a justification for why... I say all this because I actually love reading obsessive over-analysis of my hobbies. And it'd be fun to sing the praises of the good strips and kick the bad strips while they're down.

Then again the over-analysis of Holbrook's work bounces right off me the same way his actual strips do, I'm firmly in the camp that Holbrook produces an endless stream of Dad Joke level riffs and never thinks beyond surface level Animal Cartoon World logic. But you're all clearly having fun doing it, so good day. :tipshat:

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

I figured it was some kind of personal emergency, but I didn't find anything googling. I hope everything goes well with whatever he's dealing with.

Vargo posted:

Curtis from a different browser, you NAGS.

Thank you for your service.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Hee Hoo Animal Metaphor Comix, Ain't Business Wacky?

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Doomykins posted:

I apologize in advance. As with any hobby you think about things over time and end up with a lot of overly obsessive points you want to share with others. You either find a group of like-minded people in a forgotten corner of the internet or start making long form video essays. Allow me to babble about how I'm disappointed in the track record of old comic IPs being picked up by modern artists.

Gilchrist was a sex pest.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Green Intern posted:

Sure and his strips meandered into eyeroll cheesecake and eyeroll patriotism

But we can judge the strips on their own merit as well

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Green Intern posted:

Beyond even these (very pertinent!) moral arguments against Gilchrist and JAM ESALLEN, I think another thing that can get lost in the fog of nostalgia is this: they were largely boring as poo poo. For every strip where VargoDr. Camel charges off into the snow after the yeti and dies in an avalanche, there's forty-eight strips where Mark is stuck in a cave doing nothing. For every strip where use of clip art produced something charmingly nightmarish, there's acres of panels of barely-interacting traced animals that just look... bad. The first time you see Aunt Fritzi's giant breasts stretching a tank top while she complains about the most recent Dead Old Music Guy being replaced by Bad Modern Music it's hilariously stupid, but the eighteenth time you see it that year it's just the creepy, horny version of a Garfield strip where he hates Mondays.
Obviously the current iterations of the strips aren't perfect. But I would rather have something with problems than something that's almost entirely dogshit bar an entertainingly stupid moment two or three times a year, that also happens to be made by sex criminals/creepy old motherfuckers.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Zits

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

The Bloop posted:

Gilchrist nancy was at least better looking and worth a hate read

You do not, in fact, gotta hand it to ISIS

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
I'll take back the new strips being as bad as or worse then the old ones and their authors. I guess that makes Gilchrist Nancy and Jamesallen Trail 0/5s instead of 1/5s.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Not to mention the huge amount of help he gave to the struggling hentai market.

Green Intern posted:

He was, but that shouldn't matter if we're just judging the quality of strips he produced. Which were, of course, pretty bad, but mostly after his brother left. Remember, we saw Gilchrist strips from early on after he took over the strip and they were actually pretty okay. I'd say even better than current Nancy. Now, it should be noted that at least some of the good strips were just directly plagiarized from Bushmiller and redrawn by Gilchrist, but probably not all of them were. And then after his brother left, it just turned into "Jesus and Vietnam Vets are the greatest, now let's have Aunt Fritzi in a negligee complain about modern music" and it was complete trash.

So all that said do I think Gilchrist's Nancy strips, divorced from outside info, were better than modern Nancy? The early stuff, yeah. They were goofy jokes and even if they were stolen from Bushmiller, they were still goofy jokes which is a lot better than "jaded and cynical kids talk about how jaded and cynical they are." But to add to that, I'd rather have Jaimes' strips than Gilchrist, because with the outside info, I'm glad that a sex pest is no longer drawing the strip. I will absolutely take strips I think are dull and inferior over Gilchrist getting money.

And as a final note, when Jaimes does try and make strips in the spirit of the original Nancy, they're actually incredibly good! She does some really fun visual gags, a lot of the good ones are with the dog, but there's other ones that have been great too. I wish she'd do more of those instead of strips like Egotistical Girl looking in the mirror and saying "I am the best at being stressed out, but what if I start to take it easy because I'm the best, then I won't be the best and I will be stressed out, ha ha I win again."

So is Rachel just the first rhino in history to ever attend college or what? It seems like this would have come up at some point before.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Vargo posted:

Wallace the Brave

It's been a while since I've said it, but Wallace is great.

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

Lol gently caress y’all, NuNancy is great

S L U G G O
I S
L I T

Gatto Grigio fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Jun 17, 2022

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

The Bloop posted:

Gilchrist nancy was at least better looking
It really wasn't. He drew more detailed scenes, but the perspective, proportions and anatomy were all over the place.

Doomykins posted:

Most of the new characters are interchangeably bad.
Most of your complaints seem to boil down to a matter of preference. You don't like the characters or the jokes. Which means that the comic probably isn't for you. I actually like a lot of the things you call out as flaws. They're not mistakes; she's intentionally doing a thing you don't happen to like.

Doomykins posted:

And I like Sluggo(and Apathetic Librarian) by default, though I think New Nancy botched his character a lot. I'm not saying Sluggo needs to be dirt poor to be Sluggo, or show up to every strip with the not at all funny calling cards of poverty line America. But Sluggo is now just "the one chill kid who maybe enjoys life" instead of Sluggo, usually forced to be the straight man to somebody else beating the jaded and cynical horse to death. He's not Sluggo in the modern era
Yeah, they're different characters now. That's not a problem.

Doomykins posted:

he's not even Sluggo is Lit, which was done years ago and never repeated
Because it was a joke? It wasn't ever intended to be "this is how the character is now".

Doomykins posted:

New Nancy isn't benefitting from taking off the blinders of the past.
It is. Just not in a way that works for you.

Doomykins posted:

New Nancy had fun once and then turned into a zombie strip, as mechanically executed and creatively dead as modern Garfield.
Nah. It's not always great, but it's consistently decent and occasionally very good.

Doomykins posted:

New Trail did the same thing. Has done it multiple times. Jules loved to give interview quotes about how she's smarter than those bogus old farts who came before but everything said has rung hollow so far. "Mark Trail is a handsome man and I'm not afraid to draw handsome men." Nope, gone after the first week and a single joke. "Rusty is treated as a pet instead of a boy." Close, but unless this current arc really saves it Jules got more bored of Rusty then her predecessors did mid Rusty storyline. And then the rest of the stumbles along the way, with a long-term narrative strip that has active contempt for long-term planning or even simple panel to panel logic. Hell, just today we've got more "get it done" art. I'm obviously expecting too much from newspaper strips and their quality but drat, I think beating the hall of infamy clowns they replaced shouldn't be asking too much.
There has been a notable drop in the quality of Rivera's Mark Trail, but tbh it didn't have very far to fall. She's clearly putting less effort into drawing now, but her art wasn't great to begin with - and it's still better than Allen's, but that's a very low bar to clear. And she's extremely bad at telling stories, but again, that's not new. This isn't analogous to Dick Tracy, which told one good story and then turned into an endless string of references and cameos. Rivera's Mark Trail was never good. It looked like it might have some potential, but it turned out not to.

Twelve by Pies posted:

So all that said do I think Gilchrist's Nancy strips, divorced from outside info, were better than modern Nancy? The early stuff, yeah. They were goofy jokes and even if they were stolen from Bushmiller, they were still goofy jokes which is a lot better than "jaded and cynical kids talk about how jaded and cynical they are."
That's a matter of preference, but also, those Bushmiller ripoffs were almost exact copies. Same joke, beat for beat. There was literally no point to the Gilchrists redrawing those strips. The old strips still existed. They could have just reprinted them and it would have been better than paying two people to redraw them.

Gatto Grigio posted:

Sluggo is Lit
:yeah:

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

catlord posted:

It's been a while since I've said it, but Wallace is great.

The only reason I don't say it every day is because of how obnoxious it would get.

Big Nate Year 1 (May 21-22, 1991)

Old School Peanuts (Aug 4, 1953)

Calvin and Hobbes ()

Blind Alley

Support Adam's Patreon here.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Twelve by Pies posted:

So is Rachel just the first rhino in history to ever attend college or what? It seems like this would have come up at some point before.
You're thinking too hard about Holbrook when you should be thinking about Dick Tracy and how great and important "Our Town" is.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I do not see the appeal of Nancy. I'm mostly here just to :psyduck: over Holbrooks bullshit.
E: And Mozz's Never-Ending Story

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

I personally feel very fortunate that people take the time to post this cornucopia of strips. I love some and love to hate some.

The ones I just don't think are very good aren't for me. That's ok. There is a wide open tap of comics and something I want to read is going to come out of it soon.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Yeah I'm not gonna insist the stuff I don't like not be posted, I can just scroll past. I'll still read it on a slow day at work.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Twelve by Pies posted:

So all that said do I think Gilchrist's Nancy strips, divorced from outside info, were better than modern Nancy? The early stuff, yeah. They were goofy jokes and even if they were stolen from Bushmiller, they were still goofy jokes which is a lot better than "jaded and cynical kids talk about how jaded and cynical they are." But to add to that, I'd rather have Jaimes' strips than Gilchrist, because with the outside info, I'm glad that a sex pest is no longer drawing the strip. I will absolutely take strips I think are dull and inferior over Gilchrist getting money.

Stressing that one phrase not to critique the overall critique, but just to underline that divorcing the strips from extratextual biographical information about the creators to get a hypothetical "clean" read is a pretty high bar to clear, even if it wasn't the byproduct of how we read things around here. We'd still be heckling Dilbert if it wasn't.

Even if we did manage that, Gilchrist's overly-busy art style might've still worn me out. It'd probably be an easier fit for a Smokey Stover reboot than as an heir to Bushmiller, if Bill Holman had as big of a cult following as that.

Our Boarding House (April 3-5, 1922)

Toonerville Folks (June 19-21, 1919)

Dok's "Go Be Nice To People" Duck (March 16, 1914)

I found out not too long ago that Harvey Kurtzman did some backgrounds for Little Lefty as a teenager, and these first two strips had me checking the time frame. (November 5-8, 1936; when Kurtzman was only 12, so too soon, maybe.)

Blondie From Zero (April 28-30, 1932)

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Jun 16, 2022

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

The one thing I hated the most about Gilchrist Nancy was he would regularly bring up Bushmiller's Three Rocks because he understood it was a thing that had been written about but didn't understand that it was an artistic philosophy rather than a specific grouping of rocks appearing in the background.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Thing is, even with the mostly-gabby formula that NuNancy falls into, I find some of the banter amusing. The visual gags are better but you know, sometimes it hits.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

imagine defending gilchrist nancy to any degree for any reason

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Similarly while New Mark Trail is a bit of a total mess, I find its messiness kind of endearing. There's clearly effort being put in, it's just sloppily done. And while that's damning with faint praise, that still puts it ahead of the strips that are completely generic (say, modern Garfield), the ones that are downright hateful, and whatever the gently caress Holbrook is doing.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Quick reminder that Gilchrist also sold pin-ups and art-plates of Aunt Fritzy the whole time he was hired for (and even after he was fired from) the Nancy comic.

Just one of his many shittastic pieces, though less busty most of them:

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/original-guy-gilchrist-1950s-pin-up-style

There's no way on earth he wasn't cranking it hard to a self-drawn archive of her that none of us have seen yet.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Sundae posted:

Quick reminder that Gilchrist also sold pin-ups and art-plates of Aunt Fritzy the whole time he was hired for (and even after he was fired from) the Nancy comic.
This is completely new to me. Not a surprise, but definitely new.

[edit]In High School I had a friend whom was an incredible artist, could pretty much draw anything immediately and if he put a tiny effort into it could make some very representative pictures of people.

He spent more time drawing outlandish porn than drawing anything else. Makes me wonder if it's a common thing among artists.

fondue fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Jun 16, 2022

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Sundae posted:

There's no way on earth he wasn't cranking it hard to a self-drawn archive of her that none of us have seen yet.

also: Janice, from the Muppets.

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
Outbursts of Everett True June 17, 1919

And He Did! June 30, 1919

Cat Tales June 1, 1925

Oaky Doaks November 25, 1936

Mopsy February 3, 1938

Up Front June 6, 1945

Bootsie’s Big ‘50s

So It Seems August 15, 1952

Those Were the Days April 6, 1961

Wee Pals August 18, 1966

Dogbert June 5, 1967

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

fondue posted:

He spent more time drawing outlandish porn than drawing anything else. Makes me wonder if it's a common thing among artists.
Smut-money spends just as well. Bills don't care how you pay 'em, as long as they get paid. This is a lesson a lot of artists learn.

And some of 'em actually do just prefer doing porn. The artist for Ghost In The Shell and Appleseed went *back* to doing it after making it big, because they found it more enjoyable.

Malachite_Dragon fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jun 16, 2022

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Slammy posted:

So It Seems August 15, 1952

hoof

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Gatto Grigio posted:

S L U G G O I S L I T

Yeah, NuNancy is one of my favorite comics. Not every daily comic knocks it out of the park, but that's just the nature of gag-a-day. It's generally worth a small smile, and sometimes it really lands.

Wallace the Brave is the best, though. I knew that the tire whale was going to have some great payoff, but I had no idea what it was going to be. And it did!

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Twelve by Pies posted:

Not to mention the huge amount of help he gave to the struggling hentai market.
…what?

Slammy posted:

drat, that’s some story-telling. I don’t really know what story it’s telling, but still…

kidcoelacanth posted:

:yeah:

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Slammy posted:

...did... did grandpa do a Willy Pickton? :stare:

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

kidcoelacanth posted:

I will say this and only this in Gilchrist Nancy's defense: at least it wasn't Brother Rock.

I enjoy NuNancy, though it does have its own pitfalls.

fondue posted:

Makes me wonder if it's a common thing among artists.

Extremely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Sundae posted:

Just one of his many shittastic pieces, though less busty most of them:

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/original-guy-gilchrist-1950s-pin-up-style

Cursed knowledge