Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Lottery of Babylon posted:

NTA assuming she fed OP and OP is repaying her with gifts and OP is a flock of crows

It’s more common than you think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MK-Ultramarathon
Aug 12, 2009

NTA assuming she fed OP and OP is repaying her with gifts and OP is a flock of crows

am on OP's side for NTA if OP is indeed a flock of crows, in the tech industry a flock of crows is probably a better coworker than like 80% of software engineers

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

CharlestheHammer posted:

That would be an insane thing to think

Why? Weird non-personalized poo poo keeps finding it's way onto your desk. What would you think is happening from that perspective? I suppose it depends on the office I guess, tons of pointless poo poo makes its way over to my desk throughout the year.

edgeman83
Jul 13, 2003
If the guy isn't trying to force a relationship, he can just stop giving weird anonymous gifts. Forget it ever happened.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Tarkus posted:

Why? Weird non-personalized poo poo keeps finding it's way onto your desk. What would you think is happening from that perspective? I suppose it depends on the office I guess, tons of pointless poo poo makes its way over to my desk throughout the year.

If it happened once or twice sure if it’s consistent no way I’m hell I would think it’s just some weird coincidence

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

CharlestheHammer posted:

If it happened once or twice sure if it’s consistent no way I’m hell I would think it’s just some weird coincidence

Yeah, I guess but what would you think if you were in that position? It's not like it's flowers, love notes or dick pics. It's office stuff, maybe she thinks a manager is unhappy with the decoration of her desk perhaps?

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

The Bramble posted:

Am I being creepy?

Yikes

There isn't any mention of Mary being upset or uncomfortable, although it certainly seems this dude could just not pick that up. He definitely can't keep doing it. He either needs to fess up and stop doing it, or just stop doing it. He could try and make one (1) pass at her in a neutral setting and be prepared to back off at the first sign of disinterest, I suppose. But he's got to stop the secret admirer poo poo either way.

As long as he isn't her supervisor or mentor or something. Then he should just drop it and never say a word, that's messed up.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
OP could either come clean and face the music (including potential termination or at the very least referral to HR), or stop and never mention it again.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard
Any course of action other than "drop it and forget the whole thing" means this dude is in for an awkward as gently caress conversation though. For a dude with social anxiety he's really put himself in a predicament.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Absurd Alhazred posted:

OP could either come clean and face the music (including potential termination or at the very least referral to HR), or stop and never mention it again.

Eh this depends entirely on how the girl feels which at this point is an unknown here

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
be brave awkward nerd. even though doing stuff at your place of work is playing with napalm

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Like the biggest problem with the story is the girl this is about has no real say. Like literally everyone but her seems to get an opinion on it

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

BOOTY-ADE posted:

None of the other relatives will take the older daughter in either, which speaks for itself.

No it doesn't say anything other than 'what no I'm not responsible for your daughter I'm not having her move in because you can't have a conversation about how to do laundry in your house'

People moving or being thrown out is not a proportionate response to what's going on here.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

I know who my secret admirer is but I don't want to tell her I know because I enjoy the notes

quote:

About six months ago I started getting those little notes in my locker at work. They were always short sweet compliments like "you looked cute today". After about a month I figured out who it was. Her handwriting was quite distinctive so it wasn't that hard to figure out. It's this girl that started an internship with us last year. I never told her I know because I enjoy getting these notes. It's the best part of my day and I often look at them at home whenever I have a bad day.

Update - 2 days later

quote:

I never expected my original post to get so much attention. I just felt like sharing and expected a few comments but not hundreds. Since my post I've gotten a ton of people asking me for an update so here it is.
Someone suggested I leave a note asking her out so that's what I did. I left a note that said:
"I like you too. Do you want to grab a coffee after work?" And then two boxes underneath, yes and no. Yes I know it's cringy and childish but I thought she might find it cute. When I checked my locker after work I saw that she gave me back my note and ticked the yes box. So I waited for her after work (she finishes 30 minutes after me).
We went out for a coffee and then I took her on a small roadtrip around our local lake on my motorcycle because she said she always wanted to ride one. I had an amazing time and I think she did too because she's been texting me a lot since that date. We planned a proper date this weekend. We're gonna spend the weekend at the beach which is like half a days drive away.
I don't know if this will turn into a relationship. I hope so. She's honestly an amazing girl. Either way thanks to everyone that gave me courage to ask her out and the idea with the note. She said that she thought I might find the notes cringy but that she enjoyed writing those little comments. But I didn't, I still have all of them.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

CharlestheHammer posted:

Like the biggest problem with the story is the girl this is about has no real say. Like literally everyone but her seems to get an opinion on it

He hasn't asked Dear Prudence yet.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Hughlander posted:

I know who my secret admirer is but I don't want to tell her I know because I enjoy the notes

Update - 2 days later

Ah, a palate cleanser

edgeman83
Jul 13, 2003

CharlestheHammer posted:

Eh this depends entirely on how the girl feels which at this point is an unknown here

All the info we are getting is from some awkward guy who thinks someone treating them nicely is an invitation to try to woo them via middle school level gifts left on their desk. He needs to leave her alone.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

edgeman83 posted:

All the info we are getting is from some awkward guy who thinks someone treating them nicely is an invitation to try to woo them via middle school level gifts left on their desk. He needs to leave her alone.

Do you know what the word unknown means

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

A MURDER

edgeman83
Jul 13, 2003

CharlestheHammer posted:

Do you know what the word unknown means

Yes? But I will vote against the dude who is doing creepy poo poo 100% of the time. Her being kind to him isn't her being interested, so his leaving gifts trying to woo her is loving creepy.

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022
It's creepy and predatory to leave anonymous gifts/notes. If the recipient seems to like it, then you lucked out, but it doesn't make it okay.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Alchenar posted:

No it doesn't say anything other than 'what no I'm not responsible for your daughter I'm not having her move in because you can't have a conversation about how to do laundry in your house'

People moving or being thrown out is not a proportionate response to what's going on here.

[sincerely] I agree. It's understandable that the thread's instinct is to compare this to other "but family" stories, but those aren't about a parent kicking out their own teenage child. The parent has way more responsibility to their child than Great Uncle Reginald does; this isn't comparable to siblings 2 3 and 4 condemning sibling 1 for kicking out their mutual parent.

Like, just look at the facts as OP describes them:

Hughlander posted:

AITA for telling my daughter she has to find somewhere else to live?

The last straw was just a few days ago. Daisy had washed a load of her laundry, and didn’t have a chance to put it in the dryer before she went to work. Alice took the wet clothes out of the washing machine so she could do a load of her own. But when she took Daisy’s clothes out, she didn’t put them in the dryer. She dropped them into a basket. When Daisy got back, she found the basket with her wet clothes pushed to the corner of the room. She went ballistic and started screaming. Alice responded with a condescending tone of voice, telling Daisy to “calm down” and “stop overreacting.” Which, of course, made Daisy even angrier.

I tried to get Alice to understand that she was in the wrong, but she refused to acknowledge she did anything wrong. After a lot of back-and-forth, she said, “Hey, life’s not fair sometimes, and the sooner she realizes that, the happier she’ll be.”

Good daughter: leaves damp clothes in washing machine for hours (no mention of work being an unexpected emergency)
Bad daughter: doesn't finish doing good daughter's laundry for her, condemning the laundry to the same fate it would have had if bad daughter didn't exist
Good daughter: screaming
Bad daughter: tells screaming darling angel to stop screaming and grow up

It is bugfuck insane to me that anyone sees evicting this teenager (who's only here for a couple months during uni summer break, not a terminally-unemployed womanchild parasite) as a reasonable response.

Reddit says NTA though :shrug:

edit: Like, am I misinformed and leaving damp clothes in the washer is actually way way better than leaving them in a hamper? I avoid doing either so I can't compare them from direct experience, but I always treated them as equally to-be-avoided; if anything, I'd have guessed the hot damp washer with no airflow would be even worse in terms of mildew. If the hamper really is significantly worse, I could understand the issue, but I don't see why it would be?

Lottery of Babylon fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jun 15, 2022

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Pope Hilarius II posted:

I know you're being facetious but sex addiction is absolutely real and as destructive as drug or alcohol addiction. In fact, it's only thanks to this thread that I know some reactionary pearl-clutchers abuse the term to describe a person who cranked it to a titty online once.

Is sex addiction any different than any other generic addiction to something that influences pleasure centers? Like most drugs and alcohol have physically addictive effects, isn't sex addiction more akin to a chocolate or gambling or exercise addiction?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

edgeman83 posted:

Yes? But I will vote against the dude who is doing creepy poo poo 100% of the time. Her being kind to him isn't her being interested, so his leaving gifts trying to woo her is loving creepy.

He's not trying to woo her, he doesn't think there's any chance of an actual relationship, he just thinks she'd like those things.

Well-intentioned but certainly capable of causing discomfort.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

edgeman83 posted:

Do that if you want but I don’t particularly like speaking for someone with no real info on her. I feel like that’s something she should get to decide

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I'm addicted to sexohol

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022

Like, just look at the facts as OP describes them:

Are you deliberately ignoring the previous paragraphs where she's constantly antagonizing her sister, deleted her show off the DVR, ate all her cookies, etc.?

I don't know if those things are bad enough to kick her out either, but it sounds like the laundry was just the last straw. I think the parent should probably give her a last warning, and she should stop biting the hand that feeds.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

It also sounds like the mother tried to mediate but the elder daughter wasn't having any of it.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

She is older than 18, there is no need to motivate or justify kicking them out. Just like kids can cut off toxic parents, so can parents cut off kids.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

Woodchip posted:

I'm getting married next month but want to call it off because my fiance spent hours looking through his ex's photos to make sure I was really "the one"

OP's fiance sucks and she should sever, but I really like how since reddit will always side against people who snoop through their partner's cells or computers regardless of what evidence of wrongdoing they find, we get these increasingly Byzantine setups for how what the OP did wasn't really snooping: "I slipped on a banana peel and as I reached out to steady myself, my finger pushed the mouse button and re-maximized the window."

Yes, I'm sure that the fiance, who is creeping on decades worth of exes on the eve of his wedding left his facebook logged in and on the page of them without deleting his browser history. In real life, OP could just say "I found evidence my fiance is looking to abandon me for one of his exes" and whoever she sought out for advice would focus on that since it's the important part, but on reddit, she must minimize the appearance that she looked on his computer since after hurting a man's feelings, Snooping is the worst crime an OP can commit, no matter what they learn about their partner. It's like their biggest bugaboo after the aforementioned child support baggage a few pages ago.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I used to work in a place where the operations manager would immediately grab any and all bagels that entered the office, regardless of who bought them, and cut every single one into bite-sized chunks so "none of you get carried away"

Also, have some of you just never done laundry? If you take soaking wet clothing out of the washing machine and dump it in a basket without wringing it out or anything, it's going to start to smell, and mildew and mold can grow real fast in that sort of environment. At the very least she'd have to rewash the stuff after a few hours.

Fortunately, the good people of your office were freed from his reign of terror when your OPERATIONS MANAGER was fired for sexually harassing women at a hotel and lying about it in one of this thread's most entertaining posts. Did he cut them Cincinnati style?

If there's one thing to learn from r/relationshipsland, it's that a surprising number of people have never done laundry/washed a dish/wiped their rear end/etc.

AITA for not stopping the car for my wife to pee even though I told her specifically not to drink too much water?

quote:

We are not native speakers and neither are we located in the US so do forgive any inconsistencies in the language. Both me and my wife were planning to visit my mother who lives significantly further away from us, it is a 5 hour drive. Before the drive I told my wife to not chug water because we can't be stopping every 2 minutes for her to find a place to pee.

She pretended to heed my request and then fooled me by bringing an extra large bottle of berry juice. Then she said that she would be able to control it , and in return I told her if she wanted to pee I wouldn't be stopping and she agreed.

Guess what 1 hr into the drive she already feels like peeing, the thing is we are in mid traffic and it would be hard to find a place.Plus, if we constantly made stops we wouldnt be able to get to my mother's house even by the evening.The traffic congestion is really bad over here. I roll my eyes and tell her this is exactly why I told her not to drink too much.

Then she goes on to ask if she can switch to the backseat and pee into a spare bottle. I thought that was absolutely disgusting because it obviously will spill and I told her straightforwardly that she cant do it in my car.

She then gets all pouty and mad and pretends to hug her a stomach and exaggerate to fake bladder pain. I eventually did find a place but only another 1.5 hrs later. She was super angry and told me I was "endagering her" , but at least for the rest of the ride she learned her lesson and did not chug too much juice as before.

She came in to visit my mother red faced so when my mother asked and she explained , my mother pulled me aside and told me I was being an AH and I should have helped her instead of being rude. I told her that I already advised my wife before but she was too stubborn to listen and defied I told her. I also thought it was unhygienic to let her pee in my car.Since this is still quite conflicting because I can't come to a consensus I don't know if I'm in the wrong or she is.

edit: It's not that I didn't want to take breaks we were planning to stop every 2 hours as opposed to again and again multiple times just so she could pee. NO, I DO NOT POLICE HER PEE or whatever. With our congestion it is difficult to keep turning and making detours, we also weren't planning yo stay and wanted to return home before midnight. If we keep making stops how is that possible?

Invisible Clergy fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jun 15, 2022

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Speaking of crows, my apartment complex recently cleaned off the carports. This is good, looks nice and less chance of collapse from leaves/branches, but the local crows like to hop around on it and their claws on bare metal are SO LOUD.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Uncle Enzo posted:

Some people just don't "do" self-reflection.

Ain't that the truth.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Invisible Clergy posted:

Fortunately, the good people of your office were freed from his reign of terror when your OPERATIONS MANAGER was fired for sexually harassing women at a hotel and lying about it in one of this thread's most entertaining posts. Did he cut them Cincinnati style?

Interesting that you assumed the manager was a man.

quantumwell
Jun 22, 2013

Bruceski posted:

Speaking of crows, my apartment complex recently cleaned off the carports. This is good, looks nice and less chance of collapse from leaves/branches, but the local crows like to hop around on it and their claws on bare metal are SO LOUD.

This is your sign to befriend the Crows and form a Crow Gang that pickpockets pedestrians and brings the money back to you.

MK-Ultramarathon
Aug 12, 2009

Invisible Clergy posted:

AITA for not stopping the car for my wife to pee even though I told her specifically not to drink too much water?

did this person drive five hours just to like, have dinner with his mom and then immediately drive five hours home what the hell

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Invisible Clergy posted:

This dumb gently caress, trying to 'schedule' bathroom breaks. I hope he never has to manage people.

quantumwell
Jun 22, 2013

MK-Ultramarathon posted:

did this person drive five hours just to like, have dinner with his mom and then immediately drive five hours home what the hell

Sounds as bad as driving in the SF Bay Area. 3 hour drive to destination, have lunch and visit, then bail so your trip home isn't 4 hours. And that's on the weekend.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Interesting that you assumed the manager was a man.

In case it wasn't clear, I was humorously alluding to the "operations manager" post from this thread about the guy who got fired from his job for getting drunk and harassing hotel guests at the pool while traveling for a conference. His direct supervisor tried to bury the complaint but since the hotel had security cam footage of him, this did not work out. He lied to his wife and pretended to go to work for some time before this became untenable. I believe there was recently an update from that account where he went off on a recruiter for wanting him to interview or something. I would link it but I am having trouble tracking it down. I think it was in the last thread. I used he/him pronouns since that's what that poster used and didn't mean to imply I know anything abut your former manager.

quantumwell posted:

This is your sign to befriend the Crows and form a Crow Gang that pickpockets pedestrians and brings the money back to you.

Even though posts about people training murders of crows to bring them coins and loose fries are all the same, like tree law, they're always fun to read.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

quantumwell posted:

:hmmyes:

https://i.imgur.com/0xjeHDZ.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Bruceski posted:

Our work recently cleaned the top of a glass roofed atrium that hadn't been cleaned since 2020 and had 2 inches of dirt and dead leaves on it. It's lovely and bright now, loads of natural light to eat your lunch under.

However, the seagulls have decided it's a good meet and greet area, and it's really weird to look up and see the underside of 100 seagull feets and hear them walk around with comedy "PLAP PLAP PLAP PLAP" noises.