Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OmniBeer
Jun 5, 2011

This is no time to
remain stagnant!
Oh, hell yeah.

Jasmine is a lot of fun as a DM- if anyone wants a taste, Battle for Beyond is up on Youtube and has her running a game for a bunch of folks including Brennan, Erika, and Aabria, and is a big ol' delightful mess in a great way.

This looks like a lot of fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
Baby Boomers in Baby Blue Bloomers

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Re: D20 seasons to cut your teeth on, ss people have said blood keep is pretty great. If you want to try a mainline season that's a bit more approachable as someone who doesn't watch long plays, I think The Unsleeping City or Starstruck are probably the easiest to get into for people who aren't already fans. And aren't as dependent on knowing plot from other series or seasons

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Mice and Murder also rocks just for watching Sam and Rekha go full ham. Bloodkeep is a great entry and I really love Unsleeping City

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

I love Jasmine. She is an amazing DM.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Xand_Man posted:

Also the sleep thing is incredibly Brennan

"Kids, this is why you should just do drugs."

I recall that coming up on the Lie Detector episode of Game Changer.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!
My general recommendation is to watch the first two episodes of Fantasy High. That will hook most people, and it leads to Season 2 of Fantasy High which is just phenomenal IMO

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Xand_Man posted:

I'm surprised that after the twin and magician answers no one made a single Prestige joke.

I love that Brennan immediately went "well that's obviously Amy" and everyone agreed with it so much that Amy couldn't even pretend it wasn't her and fell apart. Which is basically her entire Breaking News schtick. So much so she guessed herself just to get the point on someone's suggestion. Which, did that actually work? I wasn't keeping track of the score, but it's pretty good if it did. I also love that Brennan gamed the system by working out who each person had voted for, then voting for the one person remaining purely so it wouldn't be possible for anyone to get 3 points out of the question; just in case. He's so genuine most of the time that his hyper competitive nature is always kind of surprising, but even when he's being kind of a dick about it I just can't find him the least bit hateable.

One thing I do find kind of weird about Dirty Laundry is that every episode, at least so far, has been like: "Here this person from Dropout stuff I'm really excited for, a second Dropout cast member I love and a third person I know and think is cool; and this other person I've never heard of and have no connection to". It's Brennan Lee Mulligan :neckbeard:, Mke Trapp :gizz:, Amy Vorpahl :homebrew: and Paul :dafuq: They're obviously friends with the people, and I don't even remember disliking any of them really, but at the same time it does just seem like they're pulling in whatever rando happens to be around every episode to fill the final spot.

tsob fucked around with this message at 21:47 on May 26, 2022

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

If they just did main cast the show wouldn't have much legs in it. Paul has been in a few other things on dropout for what it's worth. I know because I looked at his imdb :derp:

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I guess, but I was really hoping they'd be pulling from places like Critical Role, the wider D'n'D live play talent pool or even celebrity friends they might have. If Sam can land Tony Hawk, Giancarlo Esposito and Michael Winslow for Game Changer, I was hoping they could get one or two celebs here and there for this too.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

tsob posted:

I guess, but I was really hoping they'd be pulling from places like Critical Role, the wider D'n'D live play talent pool or even celebrity friends they might have. If Sam can land Tony Hawk, Giancarlo Esposito and Michael Winslow for Game Changer, I was hoping they could get one or two celebs here and there for this too.

That might be a second season. Seems like they're trying out new shows, if they work out well they'll give them another season. It would make sense if that's what they're doing they grab people they already know to come in, then the second season they widen it as now it has an audience.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

seaborgium posted:

That might be a second season. Seems like they're trying out new shows, if they work out well they'll give them another season. It would make sense if that's what they're doing they grab people they already know to come in, then the second season they widen it as now it has an audience.

Good point. They announced a few shows including Dirty Laundry and Make Some Noise, but I can't remember what the others were. Or even if there were others. Also, having just finished watching Adam Conover's new Netflix show The G Word, it's a fun show he did in conjunction with Obama about investigating how government affects daily life for good or bad across 6 episodes (food, weather, money, inventions, disease and change) and Raph pops up a good bit to play minor characters. Adam isn't playing a character like he usually does, and it goes into some interesting stuff about how the American government (I'm not American myself, so it doesn't totally apply to me) created institutions like the FDA, CDC, FDIC etc. to protect people and some government institutions do a really great job that generally goes unrecognized but others, like FEMA struggle to do anything at all.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Classes for new D20 are Carlos as a Mastermind Rogue, Erika as a Shadow Sorc, Izzy as an Alchemist Artificer, and poor Zac as an Undead Warlock with 12 charisma

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Mice and Murder also rocks just for watching Sam and Rekha go full ham. Bloodkeep is a great entry and I really love Unsleeping City

I couldn't get into Mice and Murder on my first attempt (it has some rough pandemic remote tech issues IMO,) but absolutely loved it on my second attempt. Rekha is absolutely the star, and holy crap it ramps up so good at the end.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
This episode of Dirty Laundry is just nothing but humble brags.

It's very good.

"Hey guys, guess who had an orgy. Well you've been in an Orgy, well I've started a revolt in a court room"

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQCxwYhhCcI

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
I implore everyone to watch the newest Critical Role mini-campaign where Brennan is DMing. poo poo is insane: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPdPkRKm_hk

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Yeah it's good so far. I haven't a clue about all the lore stuff but the group is really fun and they seem to be having a ball with this. It's not the most action packed but it's still great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wILlIUGdauU

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

First ep of coffin run was hilarious and only just over an hour long. Wonder if they're going to go shorter episodes for this. Second ep looks even more fun.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Coffin Run loving rules, every character is gold and Jasmine is a delight to see GM.

Also as usual Zac is the master of perfect joke delivery, the 'how many have you horses have you not eaten', 'NOT eaten? Oh my...' exchange was perfect.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
Make Some Noise was pretty awesome. Very who's line is it anyways vibes with the more extended improv prompts and arbitrary points, and I could watch the original cast basically forever, but looking forward to seeing how different it is with different people.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

I was surprised Brennan won. Seem to have arbitrary points, but also a reward at the end? I would have liked to see more "actually mimic this sound" ala' "stirring a bowl of mac & cheese", but yeah, delight all around.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

I've never been a big fan of Noise Boys, but the smartest thing they did (and hopefully Make Some Noise does) was make sure there are three different types of humor represented. So while Josh and Brennan's talents don't grab me, I'll absolutely watch Zac be the funniest one there while saying the least of the three.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

The World Inferno posted:

I would have liked to see more "actually mimic this sound" ala' "stirring a bowl of mac & cheese", but yeah, delight all around.

I think that was intentional. Making super accurate noises probably limits your casting choices quite a bit, and switching the show to more general improv gives you a much wider range to work with.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

lemonadesweetheart posted:

First ep of coffin run was hilarious and only just over an hour long. Wonder if they're going to go shorter episodes for this. Second ep looks even more fun.

I've only watched 3/4s of it so far, but I really loved those 50(ish) minutes and must finish it at some point. Izzy is having a blast, and it's surprising she's taken this long to feature in a D20 show given she's Brennan's girlfriend and been appearing of and on in Dropout stuff for a few years now. I'm not a big fan of Erika's character so far, but I'm here for more Erika regardless just because her reactions are pure gold. I still remember her sliding off the couch despondently in one episode of Um Actually...!, biting her wand when Evan was detailing some sad poo poo about his backstory at one point in the not!Hogwarts D20 season and Jasmine and Jawharps' exchange about the mirror and self-confidence seemed to drat near kill her.

Edit: the episode one Adventuring Party is some serious chaotic energy. Izzy screaming about werewolf dicks as they argue about vampires is a hell of a way to start things off.

The World Inferno posted:

I was surprised Brennan won. Seem to have arbitrary points, but also a reward at the end? I would have liked to see more "actually mimic this sound" ala' "stirring a bowl of mac & cheese", but yeah, delight all around.

Yeah, I'm not a fan of the arbitrary points just because it kind of makes it impossible to track how any one particular person is doing in the game. Brennan got a "googolplex" of points at one point, and if you took the points seriously, no-one else was ever going to be able to beat him after that. It wasn't even a particularly great bit, in my opinion. Not having serious scores is fine at times, because it encourages you not to take the game itself too seriously, but to a large degree the cast do seem to see this as rather competitive, especially Brennan Lee "there is no corner of my heart I won't surrender for 5 points" Mulligan. So having a clearer point distribution just adds some nice tension. As is, I don't really feel like Brennan won that game, but I also can't argue the result because :shrug:

enki42 posted:

I think that was intentional. Making super accurate noises probably limits your casting choices quite a bit, and switching the show to more general improv gives you a much wider range to work with.

I doubt the game will have a rigid format every episode, and it seems more like something Sam is playing in a fairly loose manner tailored to the guests.

tsob fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jun 15, 2022

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Josh was robbed.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Eh, I'm used to british comedy panel shows where the complete irrelevance of the points on all of them is a joke in itself, they're just there for a bit of structure.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Sure, but then they actually do have a trophy. It's just an odd bit the way it was handled is all.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Brennan behind the scenes was livid that Zac won from getting the points from Michael Winslow that he didn't earn.

He refused to work unless he got a trophy of his own.

Such a diva smh.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

There's a reason Game Changer has an episode specifically devoted to a game rigged against Brennan and his descent into madness

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

tsob posted:

Izzy is having a blast, and it's surprising she's taken this long to feature in a D20 show given she's Brennan's girlfriend and been appearing of and on in Dropout stuff for a few years now.

She's in The Seven, which took me a minute to really get hooked on but turned out so very good. One of my favorite D20s for sure.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Xand_Man posted:

There's a reason Game Changer has an episode specifically devoted to a game rigged against Brennan and his descent into madness

Unfortunately they came out in one of the follow-up shows that Brennan did technically win that episode by figuring it out first, but they kept it going so they'd have an episode.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I always figured he'd spent a little while mentally writing his monologue after figuring it out anyway.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Instant Jellyfish posted:

She's in The Seven, which took me a minute to really get hooked on but turned out so very good. One of my favorite D20s for sure.

Ah, that does explain a bit. I never watched The Seven, since I hadn't watched any of the Fantasy High stuff and I'm pretty sure it was spun off out of those. I should get around to them at some point.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!
It’s totally worth it. Sophomore Year is the best overall season of D20, imo. The fact it was filmed live is the perfect counter-argument whenever someone claims that the show is edited and therefore rigged.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Magitek posted:

It’s totally worth it. Sophomore Year is the best overall season of D20, imo. The fact it was filmed live is the perfect counter-argument whenever someone claims that the show is edited and therefore rigged.

Freshman year holds a special place in my heart since it was the first D20 thing I saw, but I have to admit that sophomore year is better in almost every way, and has a majority of my favorite D20 bits and moments. But I'm still bummed out that the finale had to be virtual.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Izzy and some of the other cast members from The Seven are going to be on dirty laundry next ep. (Izzy, Rehka, Persephone and Becca)

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

lemonadesweetheart posted:

Izzy and some of the other cast members from The Seven are going to be on dirty laundry next ep. (Izzy, Rehka, Persephone and Becca)

I am genuinely afraid of what secrets Becca Scott might be keeping.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Xand_Man posted:

I am genuinely afraid of what secrets Becca Scott might be keeping.

I'm a little more concerned about Izzy. Becca's like Brennan, she's been on enough Dropout shows that stuff has come up. Izzy is going to be the wild card I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Holy gently caress the last adveturing party is just pure chaos.