Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
Does anyone know if I can recover paints that trading paints has deleted? After I left a session, Trading Paints deleted every file in my MX5 folder, including my paint job which I spent loving ages on. I thought I'd backed it up to Dropbox but I overwrote it with my RS3 paint job when I didn't click that they have the same file name and the version history hasn't caught it. WinUndelete can't find it.

e: Ah poo poo, I am stupid. I didn't understand that I need to upload my paint to the Trading Paints website for it to work properly, that's an expensive lesson, time-wise but it probably only took so long because it was my first attempt. I can't believe it's scrubbed them from my drive so thoroughly that WinUndelete is stumped though.

Anyway, here's my thoroughly backed up second attempt at a livery:

And my replacement for the one I lost, probably a bit too busy but it's kind of what I had in mind:

Walton Simons fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Apr 7, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
Convincing myself that this season is finally the time I'm going to get really into iracing

Schorsch
Nov 23, 2010
if by "getting into iracing" you mean only logging in for league races and enduro events, then it is absolutely time! No one races iracing for real, only nerds do.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I have a group of irl friends who I race with and I’m patiently waiting for them to come around on iracing.

Right now they’re all in the “it’s a money pit” stage. It can be, but these guys also dropped a couple thousand on rigs, soooooooo.

They used to only want to race F1 2021, then they discovered that ACC was much more realistic, so they do that now. Someday the light bulb will go on and they’ll come around to iracing, but that day isn’t today.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
It’s basically free to try with the code, you don’t have to play it ever again after that… :angel:

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I have a group of irl friends who I race with and I’m patiently waiting for them to come around on iracing.

Right now they’re all in the “it’s a money pit” stage. It can be, but these guys also dropped a couple thousand on rigs, soooooooo.

You'll see this at times in the VR thread; people who spent hundreds of dollars on a headset and a grand on a video card getting pissy when an indie developer in an ultra-niche market charges more than $15 for a game.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

They used to only want to race F1 2021, then they discovered that ACC was much more realistic, so they do that now. Someday the light bulb will go on and they’ll come around to iracing, but that day isn’t today.

Use the golf argument on them, or substitute whichever sport they played before they got old (we're all old here now let's not even kid ourselves)

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Shine posted:

You'll see this at times in the VR thread; people who spent hundreds of dollars on a headset and a grand on a video card getting pissy when an indie developer in an ultra-niche market charges more than $15 for a game.

And you see it in sim racing too when a developer charges $50 for their game.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

edit: this is not a hockey thread.

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jun 16, 2022

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
Ran a couple of MX-5 Tsukuba races last night and the first one was very bad. I put myself into the wall a few too many times, but managed to avoid any big incidents or driving into other racers. I think I was maybe just too hyped up on Mountain Dew and pushing too hard instead of finding a comfortable and consistent race pace.

Second race was both better and worse for me. My overall consistency and pace was better and I didn't drive into walls, but I did have an incident where a driver came back onto the racing line from being off and was ~30mph off the pace on the line and I ended up hitting him mid-turn and ended up spinning him around my front end and hitting him again as we were still tangled. I think primarily the incident was his fault but there was a ton I could have done better to simply avoid him and make a clean pass instead of getting all tangled with a slow driver like that.

Both races ended up bumping my SR up, so at the end of the day I'm pretty happy with how I ran last night. Lots more to practice now that I've got some laps around the track with others and can feel better where I may be able to gain advantages and such.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

I think Tsukuba is in my top 3 road courses on the service. I love that track.

Alas, I’m moving in a few months so the wheel is packed away. The GT Omega is folded up (pedals still mounted) and the subscription is disabled. No racing for me for a few months.

I’ll probably wait for the Black Friday deals to start rolling out to resubscribe I think. They seem to be better than the standard $110ish a year.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
I find driving to a maximum time is really helpful for me if I'm having a lot of offs. I push until I don't set a fastest lap for 3 laps in a row and then try to do 5 consecutive laps within half a second of my fastest time. If you beat your old fastest lap, and you probably will, that's the new benchmark. You really learn where the dangerous parts of the track are and where you can push. I chopped 3 seconds off my Touring Car lap time at Interlagos doing that and went from not being able to do a single lap in the Radical to doing 20 laps with 0x incidents.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
If I'm having trouble with incidents at at track, I'll usually stop practicing and go do a time trial. Putting SR on the line is a great way to not drive like an idiot

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Is it cool if I plug my league in here? I'm going to do it anyway.

CORT is the league I've fallen into running in the past year or so. It's primarily ovals with our big series on Mon/Wed nights, but we have two road leagues as well (GT and Supercars) and a short track thing on off-Wednesdays. Always looking for more people to add to the roster, so if you're interested check out cortracing.com. There's a rulebook and a ton more info there and I put a lot of time into that drat site so please look ok.

https://twitter.com/CORTRacing/status/1538929681964990464

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Extremely cool to post here, I think a lot of NA folk (esp in the West) have been looking for a good midweek league for a while.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Are those times GMT or other?

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

US Eastern

e: we have a shocking amount of brits who race, considering

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Time to set up an exchange program so you get the NA goons on weekdays and we get your EU guys on weekends

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Stenhouse? Nah. It's Ricky Roundhouse now.

kidcoelacanth posted:

CORT is the league I've fallen into running in the past year or so. It's primarily ovals with our big series on Mon/Wed nights, but we have two road leagues as well (GT and Supercars) and a short track thing on off-Wednesdays. Always looking for more people to add to the roster, so if you're interested check out cortracing.com. There's a rulebook and a ton more info there and I put a lot of time into that drat site so please look ok.

https://twitter.com/CORTRacing/status/1538929681964990464

Hey kid I joined your discord and you, or somebody else, actually just hit me up and said they'd add me officially next week I think. I don't know I opened it up and the messages went away as I don't have permission to see the message history yet. No big deal. It would be cool to run an oval league so I'll probably signup for trucks for this season. Looking at the rule book it looks like you guys will use the iRacing default _open setups as the fixed setup if I read that right?

Funny enough I just tried the current truck just yesterday. I managed to catch the iRacing downtime and got into the free test sessions where you can try any cars, any tracks for free. I really wish they would do that more often, or even if they had a rental program, like a 30min practice session for like $1 or something. Just getting to try some stuff I wasn't so sure about has me probably going to buy a handful of cars now. The current truck (I'd only run the legacy truck) the '87 Cup car, the Next Gen Cup car and maybe the BMW GT4.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

bigbillystyle posted:

Hey kid I joined your discord and you, or somebody else, actually just hit me up and said they'd add me officially next week I think. I don't know I opened it up and the messages went away as I don't have permission to see the message history yet. No big deal. It would be cool to run an oval league so I'll probably signup for trucks for this season. Looking at the rule book it looks like you guys will use the iRacing default _open setups as the fixed setup if I read that right?

Yeah that was me. Wasn't aware it would kill the message history, I'll work that out. And yes that's our setup situation where avilable.

Josherino
Mar 24, 2021

Goon looking for a wall to turn into.

Is the league still active?

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
Every Friday and Sunday, check the discord for more info / to let us know who you are if you aren’t in the league already.

Josherino
Mar 24, 2021

Fellblade posted:

Every Friday and Sunday, check the discord for more info / to let us know who you are if you aren’t in the league already.

Awesome - much appreciated.

Will check it out now.

mearn
Aug 2, 2011

Kevin Harvick's #1 Fan!

Can vouch for CORT being cool and good. I ran the truck series last season and even finished some of the races!

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

kidcoelacanth posted:

Signups for this are now live for any interested parties

https://forms.gle/uo2BLmSmKZ1d7aby9

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

My company gave everybody an extra day off today so this morning I jumped on iRacing to turn some laps and it was during the update period so the test drive was available. I added the test page to my bookmarks and it appears you can just hop on that page at any time and test drive cars and tracks. I've always wanted to be able to try before I buy so it looks like as long as you have the test drive link you can test away. https://testdrive.iracing.com/app

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I'd be way too terrified of being banned to try that

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

KillHour posted:

I'd be way too terrified of being banned to try that

Really? You think they monitor who's using test drive outside of test hours and also would care? For me I'll probably end up buying more poo poo because of it, never thought iRacing would be bothered by using it. I mean it is provided by them, it's not like a 3rd party work around.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Loaded the test site and got "iRacing.com's Testdrive is Currently Offline" so it looks like it only works during maintenance?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Yeah if you go to the test drive page outside downtime it says unavailable. There’s some overlap because I believe Test Drive runs on its own server, so they can activate it whenever (it’s been turned on for unscheduled downtime before) but it’s not always available.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Bentai posted:

Loaded the test site and got "iRacing.com's Testdrive is Currently Offline" so it looks like it only works during maintenance?

I guess that solves that. It seems they only keep it up for a couple hours after the maintenance period. I thought I found a way to sample the goods before buying.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

By gods I've won my first race in Rookie MX-5s, exhilarating! Qualified P2, beat P1 off the line and put in good clean, consistent laps and any challengers ended up spinning out behind me so the last few laps were just about keeping it on the track and bringing it home. Going to drink the mini bottle of champagne I bought specifically for the occassion and listen to Bizet's Carmen Overture like I've just won an F1 race.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

By gods I've won my first race in Rookie MX-5s, exhilarating! Qualified P2, beat P1 off the line and put in good clean, consistent laps and any challengers ended up spinning out behind me so the last few laps were just about keeping it on the track and bringing it home. Going to drink the mini bottle of champagne I bought specifically for the occassion and listen to Bizet's Carmen Overture like I've just won an F1 race.

Congrats and don't forget to print out the first win certificate from the iRacing website!!

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

VelociBacon posted:

Congrats and don't forget to print out the first win certificate from the iRacing website!!

I need to find some fancy rear end paper to print it on

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

I’d like to start branching out from the miata and skippy races (I’m rank C right now) but I’m pretty overwhelmed by the choices (and the cost). I just picked up the f3 Dallara because it seems to get lots of races; but for any other car that looks fun (I have my eyes on the Porsche 911), is there a risk of there not actually being any races for it?

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

If you want to do open wheel the irpr is good, moving up to the f3 both get plenty of races

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
The Porsche cup car is fun, just be aware that it is fairly difficult to drive, no ABS, no TC, and is about as fast as a GT3 car. Very rewarding but might be frustrating for a newer racer. GT4 should also be at that level if you're interested in progressing through GT cars, and if you're interested in sports prototypes, the Radical SR-10 is there as well, although I'm not sure how popular that series is since it went to a paid car.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
GT3 is the way to go at that point really, Ferrari if you want to run the D series, anything but the Ford (and prob the Audi at this point tbh) if you just want the main GT3/IMSA stuff.

GT4 is - counterintuitively - harder than GT3s and the Porsche Cup is true hard mode for GT cars.

Sebastian Flyte
Jun 27, 2003

Golly

Vando posted:

GT4 is - counterintuitively - harder than GT3s

What exactly are the reasons? Less downforce?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

I’m curious too about gt4 because it seemed like a good next step. Happy to hear that gt3 should be fine though, I love those cars!

Been taking the dallara f3 around philip (I think that’s what it’s called?) and wow, that car is not a loving joke. I’m terrified every time I go full throttle. Idk if I’ll feel confident enough to join a race in it for a while, but it’s fun to learn.