Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Charliegrs posted:

I think it was really dumb to have only the first hearing at prime time and then the rest at 130pm EST. If they are trying to get the American people to pay attention to this then putting it on while 99% of people are at work was a bad idea. At best some folks will get the 5 minute sound bites of the hearings long after they have ended but that's just not going to have the same impact. They did such a good job with the opening hearing not only in airing it prime time but also with how they decided to present it. It was a much more digestable hearing for normal folks. They should have just kept doing it that way.

I get it, but I also get people who would get angry if this kept interrupting their prime time programming and would tune it out (I know, but it's true). I have a feeling that the nights for the big reveals are going to be on prime time for maximum impact, but they're building the case now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Congress also doesn't just get to get prime time tv slots wherever it wants.

My guess was they tried to hook enough people's interest/curiosity that they'd pay attention to the headings.

Edit: wondering if they postponed tomorrow because they're worried about the interest rate hike dominating the news cycle.

Jarmak fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jun 15, 2022

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Silly Burrito posted:

I get it, but I also get people who would get angry if this kept interrupting their prime time programming and would tune it out (I know, but it's true). I have a feeling that the nights for the big reveals are going to be on prime time for maximum impact, but they're building the case now.

also then everyone gets the key points on the nightly news programs. hit the biggest notes at prime time i assume.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
I reckon the afternoon hearings will be tailored for sound bites. After all they delayed the hearings because they hadn’t finished editing the video material.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Jarmak posted:

Congress also doesn't just get to get prime time tv slots wherever it wants.

My guess was they tried to hook enough people's interest/curiosity that they'd pay attention to the headings.

Edit: wondering if they postponed tomorrow because they're worried about the interest rate hike dominating the news cycle.
I have a theory, and in my defense I assert I was considering this before The Palmer Report tweeted about it. The Palmer Report is yet another of those Twitter accounts we talked about yesterday: you know, Seth Abramson and Louise Mensch, and The Palmer Report were practially interchangeable in the early days of the Trump/Russia allegations.

Here is the topic of Wednesay's postponed hearing, first:

quote:

This hearing will offer evidence about Trump's unsuccessful plan to oust Rosen and replace him with another DOJ official who was more supportive of Trump's fraud claims, Jeffrey Clark, according to Cheney. Clark drafted a letter to states that said the department "identified significant concerns that may have impacted the outcome of the election."
Bear in mind they did not push this topic to Thursday. Thursday they will still focus on John Eastman as previously planned. The DOJ interference hearing has not been officially rescheduled yet.

I told my girlfriend last night I would not be surprised if, after these first two hearings as those involved start to understand just what all the J6 Committee knows, some of them, at least one if not two or more, will do like Mark Meadows' assistant Cassidy Hutchinson did when she fired her Trumpy attorney and hired a real one so she could cooperate.
Since I doubt their media team failed to finish their presentations in time for tomorrow, there needs to be a different reason why the media teams need extra time. The easiest one I can think of to explain would be new evidence. Maybe new witness testimony or new revelations? Or it could actually be they just didn't get done in time, or decided what they had needed tweaking. Could be anything.

This is fun, because unlike several years ago we can speculate about who knows what and which secrets will be revealed; and who knows how many of them will be answered before July? It's also fun because gently caress a fascist in the face all day every day.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Oracle posted:

They are emphatically not pulling any punches with this. You should watch some of the coverage, they're using the word 'coup' quite freely.

Words are one thing.

Actions are another.

I'll believe Trump getting charged when it happens and not a second before. The system was created by powerful people to make it easy for them and other powerful people to get away with crimes.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Charliegrs posted:

I think it was really dumb to have only the first hearing at prime time and then the rest at 130pm EST. If they are trying to get the American people to pay attention to this then putting it on while 99% of people are at work was a bad idea. At best some folks will get the 5 minute sound bites of the hearings long after they have ended but that's just not going to have the same impact. They did such a good job with the opening hearing not only in airing it prime time but also with how they decided to present it. It was a much more digestable hearing for normal folks. They should have just kept doing it that way.

The hearing is almost certainly planned with the intention of having the sound bites dripped out through the media. Only the most deeply politically-addicted people are going to directly watch more than an hour or two worth of Congressional hearings.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
so it appears there were some scouting tours on January 5th

https://twitter.com/January6thCmte/status/1537075019918065666

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Mike Lindell says he offered to publicly testify before the January 6 committee but they didn't want to talk to him
https://www.businessinsider.com/mike-lindell-request-testify-january-6-panel-ignored-2022-6

quote:

Bannon asked Lindell if the committee had reached out to him to go through "all the voluminous material" he has about the 2020 election.

"No, they haven't. And it's really — that's sad, too, because I've offered. I'd love to come to your committee as long as you nationally televise it, Ms. Pelosi," Lindell replied, referring to House Speaker Nancy Pelosi.

Bannon then asked Lindell if former Attorney General William Barr ever reached out to him to talk about the "high-profile" evidence Lindell claimed to have.

"No. He's actually avoided me, Steve. I mean, I put out stuff. I tried to get stuff to him in the past, and it's a complete block," Lindell said.

Lol nobody wants to talk to the pillow guy. I'm sure it'd be a huge liability for anyone involved.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

mobby_6kl posted:

Mike Lindell says he offered to publicly testify before the January 6 committee but they didn't want to talk to him
https://www.businessinsider.com/mike-lindell-request-testify-january-6-panel-ignored-2022-6

Lol nobody wants to talk to the pillow guy. I'm sure it'd be a huge liability for anyone involved.

Imagine trying to use him as any kind of witness for anything. It'd be like asking Trump to testify about something he heard.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

mobby_6kl posted:

my guess is he is lying that they wanted to talk to him. the dudes a mentally star fucker who is mostly just getting sued to oblivion and he would either lie or plead the fith. why waste the time.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
Lindell fanned a lot of the flames that lead to the failed coup but I would be genuinely surprised if he witnessed or participated in anything that would matter.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Charliegrs posted:

I honestly think the DOJ will be too afraid of civil unrest to go through with any indictment of Trump.

Ya I mean imagine if they got pissed and stormed the capitol.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

yronic heroism posted:

The scary part is some non-zero proportion of that would go on to say, “Therefore lock up Pelosi/Pence/the county clerk in Detroit/etc.”

Exactly. The context of the question doesn't imply at all who the person sees as the party doing the criming.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Trumps webpage full of factual information nuggets linked to this yesterday.

https://amgreatness.com/2022/06/13/the-j6-pilot-flopped/

The J6 Pilot Flopped
Democrats can now add “televised distraction campaign sideshow” to their growing list of failures.

"The ratings don’t lie: America is not enthralled. Despite unprecedented coordination on behalf of the mainstream media to synchronize coverage of the Democrats’ mockumentary, the left-wing smokescreen failed to capture the hearts and minds of the nation. "

"America does not want to J6 and chill."

"The sham committee’s failure to produce a small screen sensation was not for lack of trying. They used teleprompters to read off their scripted monologues, hired former television executives to produce the drama, and selectively edited testimony from the witnesses. They refused to release full interviews from their witness testimony, and removed persons of interest from their videos to cover alternative storylines.

They had to. Otherwise, their narrative wouldn’t be compelling; the evidence would undermine the committee’s political agenda."

"Democrats can now add “televised distraction campaign sideshow” to their growing list of failures. "

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Here's Loudermilk claiming he never gave the tour that we can see him leading

https://twitter.com/RepLoudermilk/status/1536680390840418304

FAKE NEWS strikes again!

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
You would think that a sitting Congressman would maybe understand that the Capitol building has security cameras. You would think.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

BiggerBoat posted:

FAKE NEWS strikes again!

i am curious what shitfucks like loudermilks plan was also whats chud penguns role in the horror show, he seems like some dickhead true believer who has a couple boats.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

How are u posted:

You would think that a sitting Congressman would maybe understand that the Capitol building has security cameras. You would think.

He doesn't have to believe it. He just has to deny it.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

How are u posted:

Arrogance and ignorance go hand-in-hand.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
I mean the congresspeople fascist enough to actually partake in the J6 business don’t really have to be afraid of optics because their voting base will either A: not hear of their crimes due to media bias or B: fully approve of their actions. Optics isn’t an issue for these people. The only times it matters is in the legal sense i.e. don’t admit to crimes, let the persecution work themselves to that trophy.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Steve Bannon now claims that the Jan 6 hearing today was canceled because "their ratings stink and they cant compete with the trial of Bannon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9IFToc1Qak

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

How are u posted:

I work training new hires at an Amazon warehouse and one of the things I try to do is point out there are cameras everywhere, the systems track all inventory movement and explain that a third of the reason we can't have earbuds to listen to music while working is because people keep trying to steal airpods (the other thirds are OSHA safety rules and Amazon not wanting the peasantry to have nice things). People still keep getting fired for theft.

I imagine a sitting congresscritter has a minimum of 1,000 times the amount of ego and self delusion of someone working poverty wages. Those cameras are for tracking the poor and unclean and liberal not a Godly Pillar of Conservative Legislative Power like himself. How dare they use the cameras against him!

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

BiggerBoat posted:

FAKE NEWS strikes again!

Yeah apparently the guy who was using the American flag on a pointed pole to spear police was one of the guys on this tour.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Loudermilk's video criming is a perfect example of why I keep admitting the unpopular view that my confidence grows by the day. Guy on FB has been "just asking questions" about the Coup, denying it was a Coup, etc. I told him by next week I'd be able to prove sitting GOP legislators gave tours on the eve of the riot. I said that because I had read the claim the committee knew and had video that contradicted Loudermilk's denials.

And last night Loudermilk was on Laura Ingraham's show denying denying denying. Then today the video evidence drops, and once again it's wholly damning. There is nothing legitimate about that tour and everyone knows it, but to be holding multiple cell phones and taking pictures of the stairwell to the House Ways and Means Committee room, to which many Congresspeople were taken to shelter in place during the riot, is just not going to be hand-waved away except to the most deluded or programmed people.

I also told him we would know who requested pardons too, and I expect to be able to deliver on that promise before the 4th of July. If not then, soon.

Tomorrow's hearing doesn't actually start until 1pm but coverage starts at noon on cable news.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Dr. Faustus posted:

And last night Loudermilk was on Laura Ingraham's show denying denying denying. Then today the video evidence drops, and once again it's wholly damning. There is nothing legitimate about that tour and everyone knows it, but to be holding multiple cell phones and taking pictures of the stairwell to the House Ways and Means Committee room, to which many Congresspeople were taken to shelter in place during the riot, is just not going to be hand-waved away except to the most deluded or programmed people.

So... Literally every Republican that isn't Liz Cheney will be handwaving it away is what you're saying.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Ginni Thomas corresponded with John Eastman, sources in Jan. 6 House investigation say

quote:

The House committee investigating the Jan. 6, 2021, attack on the Capitol has obtained email correspondence between Virginia “Ginni” Thomas, the wife of Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas, and lawyer John Eastman, who played a key role in efforts to pressure Vice President Mike Pence to block the certification of Joe Biden’s victory, according to three people involved in the committee’s investigation.

The emails show that Thomas’s efforts to overturn the election were more extensive than previously known, two of the people said. The three declined to provide details and spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss sensitive matters.

The committee’s members and staffers are now discussing whether to spend time during their public hearings exploring Ginni Thomas’s role in the attempt to overturn the outcome of the 2020 election, the three people said. The Post previously reported that the committee had not sought an interview with Thomas and was leaning against pursuing her cooperation with its investigation.

The two people said the emails were among documents obtained by the committee and reviewed recently. Last week, a federal judge ordered Eastman to turn more than a hundred documents over to the committee. Eastman had tried to block the release of those and other documents by arguing that they were privileged communications and therefore should be protected.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Alkydere posted:

I work training new hires at an Amazon warehouse and one of the things I try to do is point out there are cameras everywhere, the systems track all inventory movement and explain that a third of the reason we can't have earbuds to listen to music while working is because people keep trying to steal airpods (the other thirds are OSHA safety rules and Amazon not wanting the peasantry to have nice things). People still keep getting fired for theft.

I imagine a sitting congresscritter has a minimum of 1,000 times the amount of ego and self delusion of someone working poverty wages. Those cameras are for tracking the poor and unclean and liberal not a Godly Pillar of Conservative Legislative Power like himself. How dare they use the cameras against him!

i will also suggest an additional explanation: they thought it was going to work and that they would get away with it

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
I don’t think the hearings would postpone a session because some holdout decided to cooperate after realizing they were going to come out looking poorly.

The crimes they did aren’t going away because they admit to them or point fingers.

They material would still stand and it would be even more compelling to start off a session next week with ‘breaking information’ as a sign the Omertà wall was crumbling due to the committee’s efforts.

They weren’t ready so they postponed it. There’s probably multiple teams doing the prep work and the Thursday team was on track so they are going ahead with that stuff on schedule.

The DoJ coercion stuff is bad, very bad, but the Eastman stuff is the very heart of the conspiracy and if they can wing a sitting justice on the way I hope they do it. Thomas sitting on the bench ruling on cases involving his wife’s sedition should put him in jail much less lose him his seat.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

OgNar posted:

Steve Bannon now claims that the Jan 6 hearing today was canceled because "their ratings stink and they cant compete with the trial of Bannon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9IFToc1Qak

Bannon and Giuliani creating new SNL sketches on the fly now
https://twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/status/1537246548664328192?s=20&t=S-Ul70GrusmEp8mz_Fw7mw

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Charliegrs posted:

So... Literally every Republican that isn't Liz Cheney will be handwaving it away is what you're saying.
Is it?

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Not gonna lie J6 and chill was clever

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i am curious what shitfucks like loudermilks plan was also whats chud penguns role in the horror show, he seems like some dickhead true believer who has a couple boats.

In loudermilks defense he might have actually been oblivious to what those guys were doing.

I used to be in his district (before he was elected tho) and that guy is loving stupid. I got to see him speak around 2017 at like a fundraiser/local Marietta event, could not have been a friendlier venue, and there is just nothing there.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

FizFashizzle posted:

In loudermilks defense he might have actually been oblivious to what those guys were doing.

I used to be in his district (before he was elected tho) and that guy is loving stupid. I got to see him speak around 2017 at like a fundraiser/local Marietta event, could not have been a friendlier venue, and there is just nothing there.

He must be profoundly ignorant then to not have gotten even the tiniest bit suspicious when instead of going on the normal tour route his guests pointedly asked him “Hey, can you show us all the stairwells and points of entrance and exit to the building and these specific members of the Democratic leadership’s offices? Just for funzies, you know.”

Multiple congresspeople have said that where he took these creeps was nowhere near the usual guided tour hotspots. Like places you would only go if you were some low level file rat who works in the bowels of the Capitol… or if you were casing the place for nefarious purposes.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

nine-gear crow posted:

He must be profoundly ignorant then to not have gotten even the tiniest bit suspicious when instead of going on the normal tour route his guests pointedly asked him “Hey, can you show us all the stairwells and points of entrance and exit to the building and these specific members of the Democratic leadership’s offices? Just for funzies, you know.”

Multiple congresspeople have said that where he took these creeps was nowhere near the usual guided tour hotspots. Like places you would only go if you were some low level file rat who works in the bowels of the Capitol… or if you were casing the place for nefarious purposes.

Loudermilk reportedly rode in on one of the MAGA Busses, he knew what they were there to do, and there's a reason he got them early access prior to the 6th.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Question: if it appears from that video that loudermilk was present for parts of the tour, and tourmembers who would later be back in the attack were taking pics and stuff....

Why do the cap police send back a letter saying "nothing to see here"?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

The Bananana posted:

Question: if it appears from that video that loudermilk was present for parts of the tour, and tourmembers who would later be back in the attack were taking pics and stuff....

They're cops? I dunno.

Loudermilk says tour was taking pictures of children's artwork, not tunnels

Yes that's what adults visiting the Capitol are really interested in, children's artwork.

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

The Bananana posted:

My guess is that there are Capitol police that sympathize with the insurrectionists, and put that out to muddy the waters.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
For the record, a) iirc it's not that uncommon for tour groups to use the capitol tunnels, and b) it is very strange to actually take a group to see those children's drawings; they're something you mention in passing on the way to somewhere else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
What time is the hearing today?