Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord

VROOM VROOM posted:

it seems there is a storied tradition of having a movie say "yo gently caress robots" and then a sequel is like #notallrobots, like The Matrix, Alien, and The Terminator. Any other good/well-known ones?
2001: A Space Odyssey followed by the squel 2010: The Year We Make Contact fits pretty well. Just, with the caveat of ROBOTS GOOD Y/N? is not the main theme in either movie, although it is a part of the plot of both of them. Also, while I might describe 2010 as a fine story with a few memorable scenes, lines and ideas, I would not say it is a good movie.

I, Robot (2004) goes through that traditional cycle in just a one movie, arguably several times, I guess. I'm sure there's a dozen takes on that classic Sci-FI story that are better than this flick, but at least in this one Will Smith tells Shia LaBeouf how lame he is when he tries to act cool.

A little further off the mark is Moon (2009). A movie with a robot that you should watch just because it is good. (Also, I like the music and sets a lot for some reason, I remember a ton of details. I think it was the very first move I saw on Bluray or 4K or something like that.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

If you stretch the theme further, Freddy vs Jason turns Freddy into a protagonist. I haven't seen AvP but I'd guess the same is true there for the Predator. Godzilla has had as many heel-face-heel turns as any professional wrestler. Maybe the T Rex in the original JP? I haven't seen Loki but I imagine the general theme is "Loki isn't bad, he's just misunderstood 😢"

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 00:14 on May 28, 2022

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

VROOM VROOM posted:

it seems there is a storied tradition of having a movie say "yo gently caress robots" and then a sequel is like #notallrobots, like The Matrix, Alien, and The Terminator. Any other good/well-known ones?

The Fast and the Furious did it with The Rock and Jason Statham.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Any recs for movies like Greener Grass, Excision, Donnie Darko, Stepford Wives, etc that make fun of or skew suburbia?

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
The 'Burbs

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

Vivarium is ok

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Neighbors
Edward Scissorhands
Mon oncle

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

Kvlt! posted:

Any recs for movies like Greener Grass, Excision, Donnie Darko, Stepford Wives, etc that make fun of or skew suburbia?

Poltergeist

Purple Monkey
May 5, 2014

:phone:Hello
Blue Velvet

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Thanks everyone! Been enjoying the recs

Zerbra23
Aug 1, 2016
Don't know if anyone has mentioned it, but If.... was a pretty good british drama movie released in like 1968. It's a very surreal film.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
What are some fantasy movies with dungeons/labyrinths/mazes or even caves or elaborate temples? I don't care how terrible, bottom-of-the-barrel the movie might be, I've just watched a few lately that are all running around in forests and generic towns. I wanna see someone do some dungeon crawling.

e: The Devil's Sword is one that I remember having a rad cave with a monster and treasure. That's the sort of thing I'm looking for.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Jun 16, 2022

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Labyrinth is too obvious I suppose.

Harry Potter 4

E: I think The Dark Crystal (1982) but it's been awhile

E2: The Goonies

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Jun 16, 2022

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Dave made a maze

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

feedmyleg posted:

What are some fantasy movies with dungeons/labyrinths/mazes or even caves or elaborate temples? I don't care how terrible, bottom-of-the-barrel the movie might be, I've just watched a few lately that are all running around in forests and generic towns. I wanna see someone do some dungeon crawling.

e: The Devil's Sword is one that I remember having a rad cave with a monster and treasure. That's the sort of thing I'm looking for.

Conquest (1983) and Robot Holocaust (1987) are two that come to mind.

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.
I'm looking for more movies like The Man From Earth, which are essentially fantasy/sci-fi/horror bottle movies where we don't actually "see" anything fantastical, we just have to take someone's word for it.

Purple Monkey
May 5, 2014

:phone:Hello

Tea Bone posted:

I'm looking for more movies like The Man From Earth, which are essentially fantasy/sci-fi/horror bottle movies where we don't actually "see" anything fantastical, we just have to take someone's word for it.

Doesn't quite fit your criteria but this was the original intent of Night of the Demon before the studio added scenes of the demon

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Tea Bone posted:

It's been a while since I watched it but I think The Brother from Another Planet qualifies

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
10 Cloverfield Lane?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Azhais posted:

10 Cloverfield Lane?

Wellllll....

Anyway. Another movie that similarly almost fits is Monsters, a low budget indie film that is infinitely better than its title would suggest.

I'm not sure if 2046 fits. You see an android but it's from the pov of a person recounting a memory, and well the whole thing is kind of a metaphor anyway, or symbolic. Something like that.

E: oh you said horror too. The Omen technically probably fits but I don't think it's in the spirit of what you're asking.

Similarly, a lot of Polanski films are technical fits - Repulsion in particular, Rosemary's Baby, The Tenant (somewhat). But it's always obvious what the situational truth is and I think you're looking for more ambiguity.

Not sci fi or horror but Zal Batmanglij / Brit Marling work in that ambiguity space. Sound of My Voice and The OA are the best fits for what you're looking for imo.

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jun 16, 2022

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Tea Bone posted:

K-PAX applies if you haven't blacklisted Kevin Spacey.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Tea Bone posted:

Vast Of Night is pretty much exactly what you're looking for.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:
Currently binging old goldies like Star Trek and Mission Impossible. Just finished the latter and I'm looking for something more like Mission Impossible. The show was very smart and ahead of its time in many ways. Kinda saddened that I've finished it.
I think Hawaii 5-0 is going to be next but I feel like another show similar to Mission Impossible may exist.

I questioned the usage of a 40mm grenade launcher shooting a dart through an armored truck. But looked it up and it turns out during the exact time period that episode was made, armored cars were being lined with plastic instead of steel.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Ever watch The Avengers? That's good stuff if you want something more in the spy realm but with a different flavor. Man from UNCLE may also do it for you.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
Or The Prisoner if you want something bonkers.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Oh, if you're up for something lighter, Get Smart is a Mel Brooks show that plays in the same sandbox. And Wild Wild West is also a blast, mashing up spy stories with Westerns.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

feedmyleg posted:

Oh, if you're up for something lighter, Get Smart is a Mel Brooks show that plays in the same sandbox. And Wild Wild West is also a blast, mashing up spy stories with Westerns.

Yeah, I was going to mention Wild Wild West. One might think typical western when they hear the name, but it's really a spy show set in the old west.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

NeoSeeker posted:

Currently binging old goldies like Star Trek and Mission Impossible. Just finished the latter and I'm looking for something more like Mission Impossible. The show was very smart and ahead of its time in many ways. Kinda saddened that I've finished it.
I think Hawaii 5-0 is going to be next but I feel like another show similar to Mission Impossible may exist.

I questioned the usage of a 40mm grenade launcher shooting a dart through an armored truck. But looked it up and it turns out during the exact time period that episode was made, armored cars were being lined with plastic instead of steel.

Miami Vice maybe? A little later time-wise but might scratch the itch

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:
I will totally check all these out. The spy thing isn't really what I'm after. Just savy, class A writing that doesn't rely upon gimmicky spectacles.
Probably heading more into bonkers territory. Mission Impossible was great but probably a bit too dry at times.
Wild Wild West and UNCLE seem perfect. Saw both the Remake Movies as a kid but they weren't that great.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

feedmyleg posted:

It may just be childhood nostalgia but I remember the Get Smart remake movie with Steve Carell being pretty good/funny too

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

I fondly remember the Get Smart movie In theaters, childhood experience as well.

Reminds me of the time I saw Mission Impossible 2. Ever since the second Mission Impossible I haven't liked the series much. I fell asleep in the theater and later asked myself how could that happen if I otherwise found the movie intriguing. Probably the first time I challenged the childhood experience in my mind.
I thought Greg Morris's comment on the first movie to be a bit rash as well as his actions. Then I watched the series and understood.

I still have good memories of all 3 movies as a child though. The first Mission Impossible wasn't approved viewing. So it was among the collection when I got together with friends. It was excellent after staying up all night on a Bawls IV drip.

Kvlt! posted:

Society. It's cheesy but a good watch
2019 Freaks.
Eyes Wide Shut
Videodrome
American Psycho
Rear Window
Falling Down
Invasion of the Body Snatchers
Coherence (I don't like this one)
Paranoia Trilogy by Alan J. Pakula
The Conversation?
Serial Experiments Lain?
Devil's Advocate?

I enjoy films that take place in a normal setting and show a possible other side or skew normality.

NeoSeeker fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Jun 17, 2022

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Gripweed posted:

What are some good cult movies? I mean movies featuring cults, not movies with cult followings. Although movies about cults that also have cult followings are fine.

The last Lovecraft

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.

regulargonzalez posted:

Wellllll....

Anyway. Another movie that similarly almost fits is Monsters, a low budget indie film that is infinitely better than its title would suggest.

I'm not sure if 2046 fits. You see an android but it's from the pov of a person recounting a memory, and well the whole thing is kind of a metaphor anyway, or symbolic. Something like that.

E: oh you said horror too. The Omen technically probably fits but I don't think it's in the spirit of what you're asking.

Similarly, a lot of Polanski films are technical fits - Repulsion in particular, Rosemary's Baby, The Tenant (somewhat). But it's always obvious what the situational truth is and I think you're looking for more ambiguity.

Not sci fi or horror but Zal Batmanglij / Brit Marling work in that ambiguity space. Sound of My Voice and The OA are the best fits for what you're looking for imo.

I loved The OA so will definitely check out Sound of My Voice.

married but discreet posted:

Vast Of Night is pretty much exactly what you're looking for.

Thanks, Vast of Night is actually one of the things that set off my urge to find more like it.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Tea Bone posted:

Stalker

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Tea Bone posted:

I loved The OA so will definitely check out Sound of My Voice.

Oh you'll definitely dig it if you are already a fan of The OA

Another ambiguity-vibe movie that I seem to recommend ever few pages is Certified Copy. It's not a genre movie like you requested but I think it hits the tone you're looking for.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

Tea Bone posted:

Enemy
Maybe Possum and Annihilation?

The last 2 especially Annihilation show plenty. But what they show adds more to the atmosphere than the spectacle.
I'm currently in the middle of rewatching possum which is why I recommend it. Having to pause halfway through is a sign it isn't that great for me though.

I'm looking for recommendations for more art-house style films in the vein of Angst, Man Bites Dog, Pusher, Made in Britain and Bronson.
Dogme 95' stuff especially. Those films that really pushed the boundaries but also made some kind of attempt at being visually stunning from a technical standpoint as well. Hardboiled writing is appreciated.

NeoSeeker fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jun 19, 2022

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Fear City was gorgeous, super tight, and atmospheric as hell. Other than watching some Miami Vice episodes, what else will give me those same vibes? Thief seems like maybe the next obvious choice.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Thief is good, also try To Live and Die in LA.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
Alright, gaspar noe's vortex bowled me the gently caress over, so now I want recommendations for films/documentaries about an elderly parent/relative's deterioration like from Alzheimer's, dementia, stroke, etc.

Remember seeing:
Amour
The Savages

Heard about:
Away from Her
The Father
Relic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

A Short History of Decay