Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

credburn posted:

Haha, it was a long time after I got Windows 10 that I saw the Cortana thing, and I kept thinking that name was weirdly familiar but I couldn't remember why until my ex reminded me it was that voice from Halo (I only played the first one; didn't they sexy her up or something later?)

I think so, but playing the first one again her dialogue, even then, is often trying to be sexy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Not to beat a dead horse, but...

This whole discussion has got me thinking about that particular phrase. The metaphorical meaning of it is pretty clear, but I've offhandedly wondered "why a horse?" And what I'm just figuring out is that the phrase is probably based on the assumption that beating a living horse would actually be useful, i.e. it would compel the horse to do something. As I'm not particularly in the habit of beating horses myself, this implication didn't really cross my mind. I just figured well yeah, of course that's a useless thing to do, the horse is already dead after all. Hell's wrong with you.

You could probably make the idiom more palatable to modern audiences by specifically sticking to the "you can't beat a dead horse" phrasing, with emphasis on the idea by beating the horse, the owner has killed it, and perhaps they should regret beating it at all. It's a bit of a long walk, but it could work I guess. Like killing the goose that laid the golden egg or whatever.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

You can't make an omelette without beating a horse.

for fucks sake
Jan 23, 2016

At the end of the day, when you get out of bed in the morning...

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

One I learned about today on these very forums is that the phrase "just deserts" is not spelled "just desserts" even though it's pronounced like the latter. It comes from an older meaning for the word desert, describing the reward or punishment you deserve. I thought it was kinda funny that I was wrong about the phrase, but the meaning is close enough to something that could be described by desserts as a metaphor that the phrase feels like it works equally well either way.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Captain Hygiene posted:

One I learned about today on these very forums is that the phrase "just deserts" is not spelled "just desserts" even though it's pronounced like the latter. It comes from an older meaning for the word desert, describing the reward or punishment you deserve. I thought it was kinda funny that I was wrong about the phrase, but the meaning is close enough to something that could be described by desserts as a metaphor that the phrase feels like it works equally well either way.

:aaa:

Ok that's it, the English language needs to go in time-out. Frickin ridiculous

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
I've never, ever, ever understood how one is even supposed to "pull yourself up by your boot straps" but I listened to boomers tell me this for thirty years.

Turns out, the original phrase was meant to be a sarcastic metaphor illustrating the futility of trying to accomplish an impossible thing, but it's been mangled to suggest independence or to condemn those who rely on others for aid? Argh

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

credburn posted:

I've never, ever, ever understood how one is even supposed to "pull yourself up by your boot straps" but I listened to boomers tell me this for thirty years.

Turns out, the original phrase was meant to be a sarcastic metaphor illustrating the futility of trying to accomplish an impossible thing, but it's been mangled to suggest independence or to condemn those who rely on others for aid? Argh

Thing, is, the kind of person who would sincerely tell someone to 'pull yourself up by your bootstraps' absolutely does not understand sarcasm. You see them online all the time, telling each other the same 'joke' over and over again.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Captain Hygiene posted:

Also all 3 words have separate Latin etymologies. It's not that weird when you think about it, you could easily say to yourself "I deserve dessert after walking across that desert" and then dessert would be your desert desert.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

credburn posted:

Yeah, "lifting yourself out of poverty is as simple as lifting yourself by your bootstraps." The point is that it sounds easy because you're framing it like it's easy, but it's not actually a practicable thing.

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022
This is more of a stoned thought but I felt this thread was a good place for it.

It's weird how "next weekend" means something different depending on what day it is.

If it's currently the weekend, and you say something is happening next weekend, it means the coming weekend.

If it's Wednesday, and you say something is happening next weekend, it means the weekend after the coming weekend.

Thanks for your time.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

run on sentience posted:

This is more of a stoned thought but I felt this thread was a good place for it.

It's weird how "next weekend" means something different depending on what day it is.

If it's currently the weekend, and you say something is happening next weekend, it means the coming weekend.

If it's Wednesday, and you say something is happening next weekend, it means the weekend after the coming weekend.

Thanks for your time.

Or saying "last week" on the weekend, do you mean "in the last week" because it's the end of the week or is it the previous week like if it was Wednesday

:2bong:

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
Working years in the graveyard shift, I found I had a very different understanding of the AM / PM differential as to how it affected what "tomorrow" meant. Since I was going to bed at probably 10 AM, your "tomorrow" at 1 AM is very different than my "tomorrow". It'll be tomorrow for you before today ends for me.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Wait, hang on, I misread that. Never mind

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

credburn posted:

Working years in the graveyard shift, I found I had a very different understanding of the AM / PM differential as to how it affected what "tomorrow" meant. Since I was going to bed at probably 10 AM, your "tomorrow" at 1 AM is very different than my "tomorrow". It'll be tomorrow for you before today ends for me.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

run on sentience posted:

Thanks for your time.

No it's not. If you're at intersection A, "next intersection" will refer to intersection B (or whatever). If you're on the stretch of road leading to intersection A, the "next intersection" will be A.

Unless you cut across an empty lot and hit intersection C instead!

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

run on sentience posted:

Thanks for your time.

Same thing for "this weekend." If it's the weekend, then you mean before the current weekend is over. Otherwise you mean the coming weekend.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

No it's not. If you're at intersection A, "next intersection" will refer to intersection B (or whatever). If you're on the stretch of road leading to intersection A, the "next intersection" will be A.

Unless you cut across an empty lot and hit intersection C instead!

English can be ambiguous. "Next Wednesday" can mean this coming Wednesday, or it can mean the Wednesday after that. If it's Monday and someone says that whatever will happen next Wednesday instead of this Wednesday, I'll assume they mean Wednesday next week. The fun part is sometimes people don't mean that and just say next Wednesday to mean the next time it's Wednesday, even if that's tomorrow!

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022
Yeah due to the confusion, I usually end up clarifying with "the weekend of June 25th" or something.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
I actually learnt this about a year ago but whatever:

Unlike how it was explained to me when I was young, a plane doesn't create a single sonic boom at the instant it breaks the sound barrier.

There's a sonic boom following it for the entire time it's flying supersonic, hitting everything for 20HP damage.

Baron von Eevl posted:

Same thing for "this weekend." If it's the weekend, then you mean before the current weekend is over. Otherwise you mean the coming weekend.

When I taught English, I would explain it like this:

If it's a weekday (preferably Monday) and you use the expression "this weekend" and a past tense, you obviously mean the one just gone.

If you use "this weekend" and "will" or "going to" or the present continuous (e.g. "I'm seeing a film...) then you obviously mean the one coming.

Captain Splendid has a new favorite as of 10:55 on Jun 18, 2022

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Captain Splendid posted:

Unlike how it was explained to me when I was young, a plane doesn't create a single sonic boom at the instant it breaks the sound barrier.

There's a sonic boom following it for the entire time it's flying supersonic, hitting everything for 20HP damage.

Oh wow, that makes sense but something I never considered. If it is just breaking the sound barrier, is the sonic boom quieter than if it was +100 mph greater than the sound barrier?

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

credburn posted:

Oh wow, that makes sense but something I never considered. If it is just breaking the sound barrier, is the sonic boom quieter than if it was +100 mph greater than the sound barrier?

Apparently the truth is weirder

The power, or volume, of the shock wave depends on the quantity of air that is being accelerated, and thus the size and shape of the aircraft. As the aircraft increases speed the shock cone gets tighter around the craft and becomes weaker to the point that at very high speeds and altitudes no boom is heard.

St_Ides
May 19, 2008

Captain Splendid posted:

Apparently the truth is weirder

The power, or volume, of the shock wave depends on the quantity of air that is being accelerated, and thus the size and shape of the aircraft. As the aircraft increases speed the shock cone gets tighter around the craft and becomes weaker to the point that at very high speeds and altitudes no boom is heard.

This is the reason the dream of regular supersonic commercial aviation is still alive. Building weird stuff like this and this can mitigate the sound of sonic booms on the ground.

Then they’ll need to overcome the cost of fuel, as it’s still really fuel intensive to fly supersonic.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

St_Ides posted:

This is the reason the dream of regular supersonic commercial aviation is still alive. Building weird stuff like this and this can mitigate the sound of sonic booms on the ground.

Then they’ll need to overcome the cost of fuel, as it’s still really fuel intensive to fly supersonic.

Telling air to gently caress itself off takes a lot of energy. The noses and leading edges of wings and tails on supersonic vehicles get insanely hot just from shoving through it.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Captain Splendid posted:

The sound of a passing supersonic object is silence then

You don't necessarily hear thunder, it's just that all the sound of the jet stacked up till the moment the sound passes sounds like thunder.

Wasabi the J has a new favorite as of 16:27 on Jun 19, 2022

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Oh for gently caress's sake.

I've just realised 20 hours in, and confirmed, that Subnautica: Below Zero takes place on the same planet as the first game.

That's meant to be part of the premise, not some hidden revelation. The planet is just called 4546B, which isn't exactly memorable. I remember seeing the name of the planet in BZ as an alphanumeric string and thinking, "oh, same sort of naming scheme as the last planet..."

I mean, (spoilers for the first game, not BZ):
I found logs on a crashed ship describing what happened to cause the crash: exactly what happened to the Aurora and every other ship trying to land on or leave the planet: shot by the alien anti-spacecraft weapon, to maintain the quarantine.

And I thought "oh holy poo poo, that's happened on this planet too?!"

... I did wonder why some of the fish and plants were similar or identical, despite having evolved on a totally different planet. I just shrugged and concluded it was a deliberate game design decision to keep familiarity and/or reuse assets, and suspended my disbelief.

Hyperlynx has a new favorite as of 01:13 on Jun 20, 2022

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

In Earthbound, when you first meet Jeff's father, Dr. Andonuts, he mentions that Jeff wets the bed sometimes. Jeff doesn't actually wet the bed. The doctor just thinks that because he's been completely absent from his son's life and hasn't seem him since he was a toddler.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

Wasabi the J posted:

You don't necessarily hear thunder, it's just that all the sound of the jet stacked up till the moment the sound passes sounds like thunder.

It's not even quite that. Any fluid has a natural speed at which waves travel through it. An object passing through a fluid faster than that speed creates a wake behind it as all the fluid it's displacing gets squished together, like the two single high waves you get behind a boat. In the case of supersonic planes that's a big wall of compressed air that sounds like thunder, because waves of compressed air are what sound is. Even if the jet's engines were somehow completely silent, just travelling above the speed of sound would create a sonic boom.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Yes that's a more apt description than whatever the gently caress I was saying lol

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Several United States of America have their own armies. (No not those ones.)

In Colorado it's literally just one guy.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Something I just learned from a fucken reddit thread:

The old CD-burning software was called "Nero burning ROM", as a reference to the Roman Emperor Nero. Works even better because they're a German company who would natively spell the city as "Rom"

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Failed Imagineer posted:

Something I just learned from a fucken reddit thread:

The old CD-burning software was called "Nero burning ROM", as a reference to the Roman Emperor Nero. Works even better because they're a German company who would natively spell the city as "Rom"

Nero is blamed for the great fire of Rome, that is to say, Nero burned Rome.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

pik_d posted:

Nero is blamed for the great fire of Rome, that is to say, Nero burned Rome.

Yeah that was my exact point

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I always had to fiddle with Nero to make it work

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

HE WAS ACTUALLY PLAYING DOKI DOKI PANIC BECAUSE FIDDLES HADNT BEEN KNVENTED YET!.!?!?

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

3D Megadoodoo posted:

HE WAS ACTUALLY PLAYING DOKI DOKI PANIC BECAUSE FIDDLES HADNT BEEN KNVENTED YET!.!?!?

Help me can't believe I just figured out what you're talking about.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

People say Nero fiddled but the Violin was not extant. Rather he supposedly used a Lyre, Mr.Megadoodoo conflates this with the common trivia of Mario 2 being Doki Doki Panic in Japan for the purpose of Humor

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

People say Nero fiddled but the Violin was not extant. Rather he supposedly used a Lyre, Mr.Megadoodoo conflates this with the common trivia of Mario 2 being Doki Doki Panic in Japan for the purpose of Humor

so you're saying everyone who said he fiddled was a lyre.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Captain Monkey posted:

so you're saying everyone who said he fiddled was a lyre.

that pun is violin-ce

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Benedict Wong is the name of the actor who plays Doctor Strange’s sidekick guy. It is not BD Wong’s full name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Shifty Nipples posted:

that pun is violin-ce

What're you gonna do, string me up?